Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles (41724 Views)

Nigeria Vs Croatia: What Advice Would You Give To Coach, Rohr? / Vera Ribeiro: "Allow Portugal Players Masturbate" - Rui Patricio's Wife To Coach / Amodu Shuaibu Is Dead (Ex-Coach, Super Eagles) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:
Africans, we love anything imported.
imported shoes
imported bags
imported accent
imported clothes
imported boo.bs
imported enm co..ck

and, now. Imported Coach.
If Grant can manage Ghana, Le should man Nigeria
Bro, you spoke my mind
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by olaiya2007(m): 3:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
Observing...
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by erusen: 3:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Imported Jesus and Allah. The only thing we dey export well na Prayer Point
imported lucifer

2 Likes

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by koredex4love(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2016
And they are telling us to use made in naija?? grin
When you guys should do the necessary funding and stop man no man in team selection methods.
Bunch of criminals in the high places.
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2016
erusen:
imported lucifer
Yeah. wink
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by eleojo23: 3:50pm On Apr 02, 2016
This one may soon resign too.
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by MrCounselor: 3:51pm On Apr 02, 2016
Tacitly or not, we wan results.

Iwobi is starting matches ahead of Giroud and Walcott... Signs of good things to come.

Check my signature to make ur own gain from football...

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Kazrem(m): 3:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
How much is one Euro to a naira now?
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
Why must it always be a second rated coach? Is it because he is white skinned? Ten angels managing the SuperEagles cannot turn its fortunes around with the many roadblocks that inept administrators place on the way.

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Red flags from Paul Le Guen's Wikipedia page.

Rennes
He resigned from Rennes in 2001 after a fall-out with the club's board. This led to him taking a year off from football.

Rangers
However, Le Guen made a poor start to his Ibrox career. His record across his first ten league games was the worst start to a season by an Old Firm debutant since John Greig's team won only two, drew six and lost two of their opening ten games in 1978–79.

On 8 November, Rangers were knocked out of the Scottish League Cup at the quarter-final stage by First Division side St Johnstone. The result, the first time Rangers had been knocked out of a cup tournament by a lower league side at home, prompted protests outside Ibrox and demands for the situation to improve.

On 1 January 2007, Rangers announced that Le Guen had stripped Barry Ferguson of his captaincy of the club and dropped him from the squad for a match the following day. BBC Sport reported that Ferguson would not play for Rangers again under Le Guen.

Murray announced on 4 January 2007 that Paul Le Guen had left Rangers by mutual consent. This made him the club's shortest-serving manager, and the only one to leave the club without completing a full season in charge.

Cameroon National Football Team

Cameroon were the first team officially knocked out of the 2010 World Cup. He announced his resignation on 24 June 2010.

Oman National Football Team

Oman were eliminated in the group stage of the tournament with one win and two losses. He was sacked on 19 November 2015 after a poor start of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign.

What about his success stories? Why not list those to provide a balanced view?

His success stories

________________________________________________________________________________________

Lyon

Le Guen replaced Jacques Santini as manager of Olympique Lyonnais in 2002 after they captured their first league title. Le Guen experienced a grim start to his managerial career at Lyon, winning only 3 games of the first 9, but eventually took Lyon to a further three consecutive championships and reached the UEFA Champions League quarter-final. He resigned from his position at Lyon on 9 May 2005, the day after the club won their fourth consecutive Ligue 1 championship. He was replaced by Gérard Houllier.

After leaving the club, Le Guen embarked upon another year away from football management. During this time he turned down management positions at several top European clubs including Benfica and Lazio and also stated that he would not return to manage his former club PSG.[1]

Rangers[edit]
On 11 March 2006, it was confirmed that Paul Le Guen had agreed to replace Alex McLeish as manager of Rangers starting in the 2006–07 season.[2] Le Guen signed a three-year contract[3][4] with the option to extend his stay at Ibrox,[1] and quickly acquired a number of players.

However, Le Guen made a poor start to his Ibrox career. His record across his first ten league games was the worst start to a season by an Old Firm debutant since John Greig's team won only two, drew six and lost two of their opening ten games in 1978–79.[5]

On 8 November, Rangers were knocked out of the Scottish League Cup at the quarter-final stage by First Division side St Johnstone. The result, the first time Rangers had been knocked out of a cup tournament by a lower league side at home,[6][7] prompted protests outside Ibrox and demands for the situation to improve.[citation needed]

On 1 January 2007, Rangers announced that Le Guen had stripped Barry Ferguson of his captaincy of the club and dropped him from the squad for a match the following day. BBC Sport reported that Ferguson would not play for Rangers again under Le Guen.[8]

Murray announced on 4 January 2007 that Paul Le Guen had left Rangers by mutual consent.[9] This made him the club's shortest-serving manager, and the only one to leave the club without completing a full season in charge.[citation needed]

Le Guen's European record with Rangers has been described as being 'excellent' after remaining unbeaten in the UEFA Cup and finishing at the top of their group.[10][11] Although it was the poor domestic results that ultimately led to his departure.[10]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

His records are not outstanding, agreed, but definitely not below average. Meanwhile, I still think Keshi should have been allowed to stay. That coach is not bad.

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Doubleagent008(m): 3:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
Nonybb:
Hmm Lekwa Le Guen, small time now you will be booed out like vogt. By mere looking at this man and his resume you will find out that this man is seriously looking for a job anyhow. "Accepted" to coach Eagles as if all other coaches had been abandoning the National Team. He wasn't even hired by a better country and they even fired him just this November. How is he even better than the Siasia if not that he was chosen because he has a white skin
I tire o. Na Oman fire am fa. So an NFF That owed Siasia, Oliseh, Keshi (all indigenous coaches) want to pay that guy that amount as monthly salary? well well we have not yet heard the end of it. Part two is coming.

2 Likes

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by pythonkid(m): 3:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
Imagine this bastards paying such huge amount to a foreign coach when there are better ones in our country here .. This poeple @ the top are the most stupid species of Nigerians ! fools! them no dey use eyes see oyinbo .. i bet siasia is far more better than the foriegn shit

2 Likes

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by M4gunners: 3:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
Damjoy:
Can anyone not see the lies in this report...

2yrs deal
3yr- tenure
God bless you. I thought my eyes were deceiving me.

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2016
baum1:

What about his success stories? Why not list those to provide a balanced view?

His success stories

________________________________________________________________________________________

Lyon

Le Guen replaced Jacques Santini as manager of Olympique Lyonnais in 2002 after they captured their first league title. Le Guen experienced a grim start to his managerial career at Lyon, winning only 3 games of the first 9, but eventually took Lyon to a further three consecutive championships and reached the UEFA Champions League quarter-final. He resigned from his position at Lyon on 9 May 2005, the day after the club won their fourth consecutive Ligue 1 championship. He was replaced by Gérard Houllier.

After leaving the club, Le Guen embarked upon another year away from football management. During this time he turned down management positions at several top European clubs including Benfica and Lazio and also stated that he would not return to manage his former club PSG.[1]

Rangers[edit]
On 11 March 2006, it was confirmed that Paul Le Guen had agreed to replace Alex McLeish as manager of Rangers starting in the 2006–07 season.[2] Le Guen signed a three-year contract[3][4] with the option to extend his stay at Ibrox,[1] and quickly acquired a number of players.

However, Le Guen made a poor start to his Ibrox career. His record across his first ten league games was the worst start to a season by an Old Firm debutant since John Greig's team won only two, drew six and lost two of their opening ten games in 1978–79.[5]

On 8 November, Rangers were knocked out of the Scottish League Cup at the quarter-final stage by First Division side St Johnstone. The result, the first time Rangers had been knocked out of a cup tournament by a lower league side at home,[6][7] prompted protests outside Ibrox and demands for the situation to improve.[citation needed]

On 1 January 2007, Rangers announced that Le Guen had stripped Barry Ferguson of his captaincy of the club and dropped him from the squad for a match the following day. BBC Sport reported that Ferguson would not play for Rangers again under Le Guen.[8]

Murray announced on 4 January 2007 that Paul Le Guen had left Rangers by mutual consent.[9] This made him the club's shortest-serving manager, and the only one to leave the club without completing a full season in charge.[citation needed]

Le Guen's European record with Rangers has been described as being 'excellent' after remaining unbeaten in the UEFA Cup and finishing at the top of their group.[10][11] Although it was the poor domestic results that ultimately led to his departure.[10]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

His records are not outstanding, agreed, but definitely not below average. Meanwhile, I still think Keshi should have been allowed to stay. That coach is not bad.

I said red flags. That means in the reports, there are things that are not good. Not all bad stories.

I also posted what I found impressive. His Lyon triumphs. Although the league was in a decline and Le Guen took over a championship winning team.
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2016
bejeiodus:
Why must it always be a second rated coach? Is it because he is white skinned? Ten angels managing the SuperEagles cannot turn its fortunes around with the many roadblocks that inept administrators place on the way.

Guy, Le Guen is not bad..He isn't second rated..He is above average..Any coach whose team is able to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League more than once is never average..But I agree that we should have retained one of our own, like Keshi
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 4:01pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I said red flags. That means in the reports, there are things that are not good. Not all bad stories.

I also posted what I found impressive. His Lyon triumphs. Although the league was in a decline and Le Guen took over a championship winning team.

Correct..But all coaches have red flags..

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Doubleagent008(m): 4:02pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Red flags from Paul Le Guen's Wikipedia page.

Rennes
He resigned from Rennes in 2001 after a fall-out with the club's board. This led to him taking a year off from football.

Rangers
However, Le Guen made a poor start to his Ibrox career. His record across his first ten league games was the worst start to a season by an Old Firm debutant since John Greig's team won only two, drew six and lost two of their opening ten games in 1978–79.

On 8 November, Rangers were knocked out of the Scottish League Cup at the quarter-final stage by First Division side St Johnstone. The result, the first time Rangers had been knocked out of a cup tournament by a lower league side at home, prompted protests outside Ibrox and demands for the situation to improve.

On 1 January 2007, Rangers announced that Le Guen had stripped Barry Ferguson of his captaincy of the club and dropped him from the squad for a match the following day. BBC Sport reported that Ferguson would not play for Rangers again under Le Guen.

Murray announced on 4 January 2007 that Paul Le Guen had left Rangers by mutual consent. This made him the club's shortest-serving manager, and the only one to leave the club without completing a full season in charge.

Cameroon National Football Team

Cameroon were the first team officially knocked out of the 2010 World Cup. He announced his resignation on 24 June 2010.

Oman National Football Team

Oman were eliminated in the group stage of the tournament with one win and two losses. He was sacked on 19 November 2015 after a poor start of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign.
Eh na midnight market be this o. chai Nigeria Nigeria Nigeria. when shall we face the truth?

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 02, 2016
oluwasegun007:
wat is dis 1....his C.V is weaker dan d Naira..

grin Naija and bad mouth grin
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by edi287: 4:04pm On Apr 02, 2016
Christian Gorcuff just resigned from the Algerian NT. That's who picnic and the NFF should be looking at.
Le Guen has not been relevant since his Lyon days. If NFF thought Oliseh was hot headed, wait till they get on the bad side of Le Guen. He'll leave as soon as NFF don't pay a month of his salary on time.

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Doubleagent008(m): 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2016
M4gunners:
God bless you. I thought my eyes were deceiving me.
saw it too. just decided to play along
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by edi287: 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2016
baum1:

Guy, Le Guen is not bad..He isn't second rated..He is above average..Any coach whose team is able to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League more than once is never average..But I agree that we should have retained one of our own, like Keshi
This isn't the 2000s. Le Guen has not achieved anything of note in over 10 years.
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
baum1:

Correct..But all coaches have red flags..

It is up to the NFF to weigh his successes and failures and make their choice
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 4:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
pythonkid:
Imagine this bastards paying such huge amount to a foreign coach when there are better ones in our country here .. This poeple @ the top are the most stupid species of Nigerians ! fools! them no dey use eyes see oyinbo .. i bet siasia is far more better than the foriegn shit

Guy, I agree that appointing a local coach would not have been a bad option..Far from it. But, if you want to know who has a better pedigree, take the guy's record coaching senior teams whether at club or country levels and compare it to the local coach of your choice, then come to a conclusion that is based on achievements..

Appointing Sia would have been great, but it's hard to conclude that Sia is ahead of this guy in coaching senior teams..At least based on the facts on ground.
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 4:07pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It is up to the NFF to weigh his successes ad failures and make their choice

Agreed, bro.

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by M4gunners: 4:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
Doubleagent008:
saw it too. just decided to play along
Lol
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 02, 2016
baum1:

If we can't hire an A-list coach, then it is better we stick with our indigenous coaches. Any of our local coaches can rival this new man with some coaching trainings abroad. Since football administrators are part of those who shape our fortunes, why not bring foreign hands to help out too?

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by repogirl(f): 4:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
NFF fooling themselves. After they sack this one they will return to home based coaches.

1 Like

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 4:17pm On Apr 02, 2016
repogirl:
NFF fooling themselves. After they sack this one they will return to home based coaches.

Which home based coach will be left that they have not tried?
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Doubleagent008(m): 4:18pm On Apr 02, 2016
whether le Guen or Arsene wenger or Jose Mounrinho they will all ultimately fail and leave in a dirty manner.
I Love my country but I honestly don't give two flying Fs what happens to Nigerian football anymore. A saying goes thus " doing same thing over and expecting a different result is insanity "
here is why I made the above conclusion
Amodu, Onigbinde, Berti Vogt, Lars Lagerbaek, Eguavon, Siasia, Keshi, Oliseh all have coached us between 2002 and now.
Not all of them are sterling perfect agreed! but I want us to X-ray it from Siasia to Oliseh.
All were owed salaries, all of them claimed interference with their work and team selection, upon termination of contract they all threatened legal actions.
A good case study will be Keshi. he won the AFCON so what's the excuse to fire him? he was playing good football, he was owed fees of between 6-10 months ( if I can approximate correctly) and them come to look at the show of shame in the manner he was let go, at a point he wasn't even sure if he was coach or not NFF said his contract won't be renewed but he should continue as coach( who does that?) then he was finally "sacked" because he was said to have applied for a job vacancy advert placed by the Ivorian FA.
My point is coaching, players aren't our problem the bane of our problem now is the NFF. the administration is bad and clueless and we have just started the downward slide( I pray i'm wrong, I wish I will be disappointed) . The NFF is the constant figure in all this mess. coaches have been changed, ministers have been replaced, places have been called and dropped still we are in a situation where we will not be going for AFCON.
who ever comes will meet This NFF at home and they will still continue to mess things up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by baum1: 4:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
bejeiodus:
If we can't hire an A-list coach, then it is better we stick with our indigenous coaches. Any of our local coaches can rival this new man with some coaching trainings abroad. Since football administrators are part of those who shape our fortunes, why not bring foreign hands to help out too?

Whether our local coaches will rival this guy is an outcome for another time. There's no denying the possibility..

For now, someone to urgently help the Super Eagles to qualify for the World Cup is seriously needed
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 4:20pm On Apr 02, 2016
looking at his CV alone should disqualify him from coaching S E NFF make una take una time oooo
Re: Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 02, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Imported Jesus and Allah. The only thing we dey export well na Prayer Point
What of witchcraft?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams / Breaking News: Nff Building Is On Fire (photos) / Netherlands Vs Mexico - World Cup (2 - 1) On 29th June 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.