Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,895 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! (12590 Views)

Nigerian Passport Can Take You To 44 Countries Without Visa….[see List] / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The Uk / Nigerian Passport: Current Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Seun(m): 3:19pm On Nov 10, 2006
Hello,

If you're a married Nigerian woman and you want an International Passport, you will need a letter of consent from your husband:
Incase of married woman. A copy of marriage certificate or
sworn affidavit of marriage and consent letter from husband
http://www.immigration.gov.ng/passportypes.htm#standard

A married man does not need a letter of consent from his wife, but a wife needs her husband's permission to get an international passport.

If your husband is maltreating you, you will not be able to travel out to escape from him unless you already have an International passport. So ladies, make sure you get an international passport before selling yourself into slavery marriage to a Nigerian man.

I don't understand the purpose of this silly requirement. Do you?

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by mrmayor(m): 3:30pm On Nov 10, 2006
Nigeria and stupid laws,what are the so called women leaders in the House and Senate doing about this anyway?

I think its not really a problem,any man can stand and sign as the Almighty Husband
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by seeker(m): 3:55pm On Nov 10, 2006
Shocking! shocked I cannot believe such stupidity.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by ekunit(f): 4:29pm On Nov 10, 2006
thank god i am still single
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Freestyl(m): 5:40pm On Nov 10, 2006
Says who, or is the wife going with the kids? haha
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2006
people, do not  be suprised,that is all part of the sharia agenda which they hope to envelope the whole nation in.
Muslim women in Sharia countries need consent from men to do everything (but breathe in air).
This is only the beginning.

So true Mrmayor,any idiot can sign the consent,even the woman can do it herself but the mere fact that that clause is there should worry every Nigerian woman in this day and age.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by alexis(m): 6:24pm On Nov 10, 2006
shocked - gess
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by kiwibabe(f): 8:47pm On Nov 10, 2006
Yeah thats soo true, I did not think it was a requirement for my soo called hushand to get my passport for me, but when we were in nigeria he had to filled out all the docs and stuff, at least we are on good terms, he would never try and prevent me from doing something, just let him try,

But truthfully something needs to change, because men could often use that to their own advantage it is a form of controlling women, no freedom without the mans say soo. I hate having tabs kept on me.

grin O ya bring your passport, let me keep it for you. grin
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Eurphoria(f): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2006
babyosisi:

people, do not be suprised,that is all part of the sharia agenda which they hope to envelope the whole nation in.
Muslim women in Sharia countries need consent from men to do everything (but breathe in air).
This is only the beginning.

So true Mrmayor,any idiot can sign the consent,even the woman can do it herself but the mere fact that that clause is there should worry every Nigerian woman in this day and age.

100 percent in agreement here. This is a slow but sure process of religion creeping into politics in Nigeria and there will be blood in the future.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by candylips(m): 11:24pm On Nov 10, 2006
it is not going to work is it nt nigeria
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Ndipe(m): 8:08am On Nov 11, 2006
@seun, na now you don see the subjugation of women now? Because when I read your critique on my short story, "Double tragedy" that the WILL ought to be split equally between the widow and her inlaws, I thought that perhaps you have never read of widows being kicked out of their matrimonial house, after the death of their husband.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 11, 2006
Women from time immemorial have always been second class citizens,it's only very recently that some countries are beginning to change things.
Will need 100 years to make that happen in Naija.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by kimba(m): 9:49pm On Nov 11, 2006
@Seun

do you think the staff of the Nigerian Immigration know what is on their own constitution? much more on a website?

If you go there with your money, forget what is on black and white. Even the final signatory in Immigration doesnt know what is happening.

that news there na olskul!!

Are we not in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by mamaput(f): 5:46pm On Nov 12, 2006
so as well dose a married woman need the permission of the husband b4 travelling out with the kids.
In Germany you can only make the passport for the children if both parents sign.
Then they want everyone to be aware of the fact that they kids have passport-
But if i am a single mother and have the full custody of the kids, i only need the court jurgment.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by bluenubian(f): 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2006
i know it stupid right, one time at murtala, some stupid customs guy stopped my mum, sis and i, askin where my dad was?, cause it looked like my mom might be trying to run away with us, even tho my mom and i had travelled out many times b4, my mom gave him one eye and cursed the heck out of him. but thank God my dad was still at the airport to vouch for us!
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by algood(f): 2:13pm On Nov 13, 2006
hymmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is there a law in Nigeria?can someone just tell me am missing something.

It is true u have to seek your husband permission before u can get an international passport says the Nigeria law, but i wonder if the immigration officers knows about it or they never take that aspect serious.

As we all knows anything goes in Nigeria so far you have your money.

This takes me back memoy lane of my experience at the festac immgation office where i went for my international passport with my son.

In my case my husband is not in the country, i have to pay 12k each after the filling, local govt and the stuff i was to undergo an interview, the immigration officer helping was nt on sit and one of the officer gave me my file with my son and ask me to go in for interview, the guy checked my file and requested for my husband consent for my passport and my son for this reason i should go and get his consent and kept the file.

i went to look for the other officer who has a higher rank, do you know what he sid when i told him what happened " he said the guy needs money cant he see his signature on the file"

we immediately went there he picked my file in the drawing cross the guy statement and wrote approved and went in for the scan pics and data information.

so here in Nigeria there are laws but never adhere to strictly.

seun
can i ask u very simple sincere question, will u prefer your wife to hold u marriage certificates, the children certificates her passport, or wont you say honey bring those document and let me keep it for you.

be sincere with yourself.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by algood(f): 2:30pm On Nov 13, 2006

Seun

to face the fact i dont think there is anything wrong seeking consent from ones husband before getting an international passport.

the man is the head of the house and there is nothing we ladies can do about it.

sometimes when i look at the women fightng for equity in gender and equal opportunities, to me i beleive they are pretty wasting there time and exhibiting their nuisance value.

there can never be equality in gender no matter hw position a woman is, she still has to respect and remain under the umbrella of his husband.
its biblical so we cant change it.

for the ladies in the house and for the singles, u will still need to get a passport that bears your husband name if you want to travel as a family or for other reasons, the better u realise there is no big deal the better life its for you.

there is no big deal about seeking consent, if you love a man, its your husband, your head, you have to be submissive in total, men are there to protect our interest except for the irresponsible ones in the society.

i hope this makes some sense
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by mamaput(f): 11:54pm On Nov 13, 2006
So a grown up single woman at 18 can get her passport But a 50 year old married woman has to ask her husband?
What has a passport got to do with submissive.
Is a woman a slave.
many women have fought for rights.
That means according to you , a woman should not be allowed to vote. or better still the husband will vote for her.
That means a woman will not be allowed to travel or run away from her husband.
is it not so that the Nigerian Constitution says man and woman are equal
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by sammyjl(f): 7:27am On Nov 14, 2006
tongue Thank goodness I'm a Namibian where such laws don't count.

I think its wrong. Haven't you people heard of equal rights and don't you have gender equality in your country. Damn!!!! shocked
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by mamaput(f): 9:49am On Nov 14, 2006
algood if your husband falls sick and you need one of these things then you have to start looking.
My parents had a place were they kept all these things and when we were bigger they showed us were they are.
What if war breaks out over night,
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by BlackMamba(m): 3:36am On Nov 16, 2006
algood
You must be out of your freaking mind
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by iice(f): 12:19pm On Nov 16, 2006
Interesting. . .
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by choco4life(m): 2:33am On Nov 17, 2006
intriguing, [sub][/sub]na wa ooooooooo
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by lioness(f): 10:45am On Nov 17, 2006
arant nonsensence angry
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by LoverBwoy(m): 3:33pm On Nov 17, 2006
is this a new law?

I think it's one of those things that have been there for ages, someone just noticed it,
I dont the officers care about this law apart from the fees you are paying

and babyosis na today- propaganda na wa for you
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by algood(f): 6:03pm On Nov 17, 2006
well, the fact still stands, there is nothing like equality in gender, men are men and women are women, we are form from them so we cant change the rules. for those for us who are highly educated we compete with our husband most times and challnege there authorities.

i keep my document because its my basic right to do so.

we should try and get one fact, there is no law in Nigeria, the law maker are the law breakers.
women seeking permission from there husband is a law in Nigeria which does not exist in the minds of Niigeria citizens.
anything goes here so far you have your money.

mammaput dont get me wrong, we all have our rights and dutie in the home.
but there is nothing like equity in gender,so far you can give your body to a man and maries him, so what is the big deal about a consent except there is hidden agenda to it, and also u can get or fabricate consent letter if you wants to get it without a consent letter from the main man. no be Nigeria.

black mamba, i wouldnt know if you are married or not , i guess you are a male right? its people like you who ends up with the egoism of being a man and wants to be in control of the affairs of the house.

am not out of my mind but thats just the fact, but we all run away from simple truth.
all we keep saying is, oh shit, what a nonsense, thats a bullshit, why wil i need my husband consent.

but you all know how to get things from your men in a very cool manner.

for those who are not married in the house dont get carried away with the "absolute nonsense"
most of them knows how they get things out of their man.
we all run different home, so dont compare your home and man withsomeone else or what some will say here.

i still maintain my stand, its no big deal
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by lioness(f): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2006
this na torture
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by LoverBwoy(m): 1:31pm On Nov 21, 2006
Algood

I agree its not a big deal at the end of the day most nigerian women discuss thing with their husbands before they do things! however P.C they'll like to put it! just one of those few laws people just notice and go gaga about
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by lioness(f): 8:57am On Nov 23, 2006
undecided
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by jacq(f): 9:54pm On Nov 26, 2006
I don't agree with this law.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by candylips(m): 10:04pm On Nov 26, 2006
lioness:

undecided

lioness talk na
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by lioness(f): 3:52pm On Dec 06, 2006
nothing really.
One just realises more everyday that this is actually a man's world lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Bank Still Gives PTA As Cash-Urgent Please / Is Botswana A Visa Free To Canada / Nigerian Government Evacuates 191 Stranded Nigerians From India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.