Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! (12591 Views)

Nigerian Passport Can Take You To 44 Countries Without Visa….[see List] / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The Uk / Nigerian Passport: Current Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by BlackMamba(m): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2006
algood:

black mamba, i wouldnt know if you are married or not , i guess you are a male right? its people like you who ends up with the egoism of being a man and wants to be in control of the affairs of the house.

May be if you go back to your post and my response to you, you'll appreciate how foolish your characterization is.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Jesuto(f): 6:53am On Mar 05, 2007
This is an unnecessary law and should be revoked. I am not married but assuming I were, I would not agree to having my husband consent before the issue of my passport when he does not need my consent before the issue of his! That's inequality! That's subtly saying that my husband has more Nigerian rights than me.

That law should be revoked!
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by candylips(m): 9:18pm On Jun 03, 2007
what is wrong in geting ur husband consent
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 25, 2007
A
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by sfdaram(f): 7:31pm On Oct 31, 2007
@ seun

it is very unfortunate with what is happening in this our great country. when all d requirement 4 e-passport collection came out,as a travel agent, i thought it will be seriously adhere to but today anybody can write ur husband consent letter and guarantor form can be filled by someone you dont know or seen b4, at d end of d day all these document r summited to nija immigation office to collect passport.
it is so sad.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 31, 2007
so bad
this is one of the things hindering our women from total liberation angry
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by almondjoy(f): 10:05pm On Oct 31, 2007
mdsocks:

so bad
this is one of the things hindering our women from total liberation angry

Look around and see what "things" are called "men"!  You will not stop weeping! Is it not Nigeria?  Why are we surprised?-----SHARIA NATION OF MISLAMAS!
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 31, 2007
candylips:

what is wrong in geting your husband consent

What is right with it?

Do you require you wife's consent to be issued a passport? shocked
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by almondjoy(f): 3:27am On Nov 01, 2007
Siena:

What is right with it?

Do you require you wife's consent to be issued a passport? shocked

Aren't you just so glad you do not live in Nigeria darling? kiss At least "our" kids have some hope.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2007
Too true, Milo. But if I lived in Nigeria, my wife would still have a choice, and a say too.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by almondjoy(f): 4:26am On Nov 02, 2007
Siena:

Too true, Milo. But if I lived in Nigeria, my wife would still have a choice, and a say too.

You are always so considerate. kiss That is why you are not a "typical" Nigerian dude! Perhaps if you lived in Nigeria, no telling what the "superior cultural climate" would have done to you.   Most typical Nigerian guys, especially living in Nigeria, are control freaks!

I can understand if we are dealing with a "minor" child and parental consent is required from both parents, for the child to travel out of the country.  But for a woman to take permission from some "man" before she can travel--hmmmm!  Common sense would mean that "both" parties have discussed the travel plans ahead of time.  So what is the "third party" business in all this.  Like the women are "abducting" themselves or something? undecided

I guess many "women" are running away from abusive environments in Nigeria and this is only one of the ways to stop them---sharia style.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by jenni81(f): 4:21pm On Nov 04, 2007
What we all fail to realise is that we are Africans and not Europeans. The more we try to copy them the more backwards we go.
For a married woman to seek his husbands consent in getting Passport is no big deal unless she has a hidden agenda. Before i will get my passport i will let me wife know about but the law did not make it to be so, since its what the law requires why can't we accept it. Although i dont see the law being obeyed as we can see from the psots above.
Why some pips are saying its wrong is cos of the inequality it potrays, even in the western world inequality exist between husband and wife, the wife know clearly that the husband is the head of the house.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by fakedavid: 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2007
goats - when they live abroad - they cant criticise any actions of the government where they live - they obey without lifting a finger, but when it is their country - they bark like goats.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by presido1: 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2007
Husband and wife are not equal,not only in Africa it exist everywhere. Meet a married white woman and ask her she will tell you, the same with Asians.
If it is written in Bible, Koran and even Traditional Religion recongnised it. If you are a christian or muslim and dont beleive in what the Bible or Koran say i wonder where your faith lies.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by phateemah(f): 4:41pm On Nov 04, 2007
i agree with u o!
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by EasyWare(m): 7:19pm On Nov 04, 2007
I am not normally one of those who writes in these newgroups - I just haven't got the time. I was searching for some information regarding Nigerian passports and came across this thread. I am amazed about the backwardness of some of the posters! Had this been a village discussion, it would have been easier to understand. But we are talking about people who have regular access to the Internet, who are almost certainly educated and knowledgeable. Man, the mind boggles!

I have only read a few responses, and that is enough for me. I will only reply to some of the few I read:

(1) presido1 said: "If it is written in Bible, Koran and even Traditional Religion recognised it, "

My response: What has that religion got to do with state? Is religion not a personal thing? Supposing the woman does not believe in any religion or faith? Or is it now a requirement to have faith in order to get a Nigerian passport?

(2) davidyland@yahoo.com said: "goats - when they live abroad - they can't criticise any actions of the government where they live - they obey without lifting a finger, but when it is their country - they bark like goats."

My response: Quite the opposite, in my experience. The way the police, government and small-time officials run roughshod over the poor man's right in Nigeria is unbelievable. Even with the presence of racism, my rights are much more respected in this country than they were ever respected while I was in Nigeria. As Fela would say: "Policeman slap you for road, you no go fit talk!"

By the way, goats don't bark.

(3) [b]jenni81 [/b]said: "What we all fail to realise is that we are Africans and not Europeans. The more we try to copy them the more backwards we go, "

My response: This, I found quite laughable! Do you realise that in many European countries not too many years ago, women required their husband's permission to get a passport? Here in the UK, women were not even allowed to vote until February 6, 1918. Women were regarded as less intelligent than men - we are talking about 20th century Europe! There are women alive in England today who were not allowed to vote when they were young. Have you heard of the women's suffrage movement? Please educate yourself before you start making such posts. Women DIED fighting for their rights in this country - and indeed all over Europe and America. There is nothing European about this passport issue. It is simply one of common-sense - and common-sense is not the preserve of any culture.

Look, every society started backward. We all started in Caves. Some are progressing while others have been lagging behind. I suppose it if was still up to you, we will be killing twins in parts of Nigeria "because it is our African culture"! We would not be writing or using this Internet because we would be going backwards by copying European,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by presido1: 9:06pm On Nov 04, 2007
EasyWare:

My response: What has that religion got to do with state? Is religion not a personal thing? Supposing the woman does not believe in any religion or faith? Or is it now a requirement to have faith in order to get a Nigerian passport?
Easyware if religion gat nothing to do with politics or national affiars as in the case of national law on women getting passport why is that in UK the Church of England determines the the trading hours on sunday. Why will they recognise a marriage done in Anglican church but not the one done in catholic church or mosque? Wating for your explanation.

You just simply read what jenni wrote without trying to understand the content, from what i understand from him/her is that the equality between husband and wife(Man?Woman) doesn't exist anywhere in the world even in Uk.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by EasyWare(m): 9:40pm On Nov 04, 2007
Presido: It is true that religious law USED TO determine Sunday trading laws in England. Buy does that mean it was correct So if it happens in England, then it is correct

You see, the Sunday trading laws was a very old law (the same kind of law that stopped women voting). It was instituted a the when Religious leaders had real power in the UK. But if you follow current trends, you will see that more than a year ago, UK Parliament ended this the no-trading on Sunday law. One of the arguments for ending it was that it was that it is just plain wrong to allow religious dogma to determine how everyone lives. They said if it is your religion not to work on Sunday, then don't work, but don't stop those who want to work from working. So even the British Government realised that it was stupid law and changed it! This is the kind of thing we should be doing in Nigeria: Changing stupid laws.

Also, I agree that there is no equality between women anywhere in the world - including the UK. But does that make it right The fact is that while some countries (like the UK) are making great strides to make the society a fairer place for women, some people are still trying to keep us in the stone ages.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by EasyWare(m): 9:53pm On Nov 04, 2007
Predido: To answer the second part of your question, ie: Why will they recognise a marriage done in Anglican church but not the one done in catholic church or mosque? Wating for your explanation.

This is an easy one. You are completely mistaken. UK law does not care whether you are married in Anglican Church or Catholic Church or Buddhist temple. Please get your facts right. All those are simply personal ceremonial. The only thing that UK law recognises is that marriage registry signed and witnessed by the appropriate state official. The church or mosque side of the wedding has nothing to do with law. It is a personal option. If you do it but do not sign the registry, it will not be recognised by the law.

Frankly I am tired of this. The argument will not go this far of people get their facts right before posting.

Of course religious laws still affect some parts of society - that is simply due to historical reasons - there was a time when religion dominated state. But like the Sunday trading laws - they are gradually being changed.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by presido1: 10:23pm On Nov 04, 2007
Easyware
Anglican church still determines the sunday trading hours till today being sunday. Why do all the shops in every city center close by 5pm on sundays. In the marriage case, i have many friends that wedded in Anglican church and their wedding was accepted in the Home Ofiice just as they accept the once done in Registry do your home work very well you will realise what am saying. Do you know that the Arch Bishop of Cantabury is being appointed by the Prime Minister with the aproval of The supreme Governor of the church which is the queen. Religion should be saparated from politics but in many cases its not that easy.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by fakedavid: 11:06pm On Nov 04, 2007
EasyWare:

(2) davidyland@yahoo.com said: "goats - when they live abroad - they can't criticise any actions of the government where they live - they obey without lifting a finger, but when it is their country - they bark like goats."

My response: Quite the opposite, in my experience. The way the police, government and small-time officials run roughshod over the poor man's right in Nigeria is unbelievable. Even with the presence of racism, my rights are much more respected in this country than they were ever respected while I was in Nigeria. As Fela would say: "Policeman slap you for road, you no go fit talk!"

By the way, goats don't bark.

Welcome to London - u go soon tire.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by EasyWare(m): 12:10am On Nov 05, 2007
davidyland@yahoo.com: "Welcome to London - u go soon tire."

Sorry to disappoint you, davidyland, but I have lived in London for 20 years. Again, it helps not to make baseless assumptions.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by almondjoy(f): 9:10am On Nov 05, 2007
EasyWare:

I am not normally one of those who writes in these newgroups - I just haven't got the time. I was searching for some information regarding Nigerian passports and came across this thread. I am amazed about the backwardness of some of the posters! Had this been a village discussion, it would have been easier to understand. But we are talking about people who have regular access to the Internet, who are almost certainly educated and knowledgeable. Man, the mind boggles!

I have only read a few responses, and that is enough for me.

he he he he he he he he! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  Welcome to Nairaland.  I am happy to note that your mind "boggles" after being affronted by the nonsense most acclaimed "Educated Nigerians" type up here.  Some even claim to live "abroad".  Your mind will soon proceed to the "juggling" phase of initiation on Nairaland.

Did you say "village discussion" thread?   grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin This a a village website full of cyber antelopes so feel free to shoot any down for your upcoming end-of-year festivities. It takes about 6 months to know those to avoid and those to pay attention to.  You can never go wrong with some and you will find out who they are in due course.

EasyWare:

Predido: To answer the second part of your question, ie: Why will they recognise a marriage done in Anglican church but not the one done in catholic church or mosque? Wating for your explanation.

This is an easy one. You are completely mistaken. UK law does not care whether you are married in Anglican Church or Catholic Church or Buddhist temple. Please get your facts right. All those are simply personal ceremonial. The only thing that UK law recognises is that marriage registry signed and witnessed by the appropriate state official. The church or mosque side of the wedding has nothing to do with law. It is a personal option. If you do it but do not sign the registry, it will not be recognised by the law.

Frankly I am tired of this. The argument will not go this far of people get their facts right before posting.

Of course religious laws still affect some parts of society - that is simply due to historical reasons - there was a time when religion dominated state. But like the Sunday trading laws - they are gradually being changed.

Tired so soon? shocked The best is yet to come.  When you go through all Presido1's post you will understand that some things are best left un-typed for sheer wastage of energy.  Some will make you regret ever logging on to Nairaland by taking you to the gutter pits. All in all you will have a good time.

EasyWare:

Sorry to disappoint you, davidyland, but I have lived in London for 20 years. Again, it helps not to make baseless assumptions.

he he he  he he he he he  cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin best friends already?--That one is a no go area!  You will soon find out the hard way.  As for me, you be the judge!  Welcome aboard! kiss
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by almondjoy(f): 9:17am On Nov 05, 2007
presido1:

Husband and wife are not equal,not only in Africa it exist everywhere. Meet a married white woman and ask her she will tell you, the same with Asians.
If it is written in Bible, Koran and even Traditional Religion recongnised it. If you are a christian or muslim and don't beleive in what the Bible or Koran say i wonder where your faith lies.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. lipsrsealed

phateemah:

i agree with u o!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. lipsrsealed

jenni81:

What we all fail to realise is that we are Africans and not Europeans. The more we try to copy them the more backwards we go.
For a married woman to seek his husbands consent in getting Passport is no big deal unless she has a hidden agenda. Before i will get my passport i will let me wife know about but the law did not make it to be so, since its what the law requires why can't we accept it.

Although i don't see the law being obeyed as we can see from the psots above.
Why some pips are saying its wrong is because of the inequality it potrays, even in the western world inequality exist between husband and wife, the wife know clearly that the husband is the head of the house.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. lipsrsealed
davidyland@yahoo.com:

goats - when they live abroad - they can't criticise any actions of the government where they live - they obey without lifting a finger, but when it is their country - they bark like goats.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. lipsrsealed

Like my royal highness Siena said already--- You have said it all--bang on! grin
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by fakedavid: 11:19am On Nov 05, 2007
EasyWare:

20 years - you are still a baby in London - so - still welcome.
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by tobitee(f): 2:15pm On Dec 11, 2014
Modified
Re: Nigerian Passport: Married Women Need Husband's Permission! by iykedare(m): 3:44pm On Dec 11, 2014
ekunit:
thank god i am still single

May god keep you single(for a long time) since that is what you want

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Botswana A Visa Free To Canada / Which Bank Still Gives PTA As Cash-Urgent Please / Nigerian Government Evacuates 191 Stranded Nigerians From India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.