Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,275 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) (3033 Views)

5 Fascinating Reasons You Should Drink Cucumber Water Everyday / Poison Alert: Plz Do Not Take This Juice, It Has Killed Many / Poison Alert: Plz Do Not Take This Juice, It Has Killed Many (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by iHart(m): 5:36pm On Apr 02, 2016
Every new day new foods and drinks are introduced into the Nigerian market. Having a NAFDAC number gives the food/drink quick acceptance in the market but does the NAFDAC number actually mean that the products are safe for human comsumption?

I stumbled upon a drink when I travelled to Enugu earlier this week. This was the first time I am seeing the drink though it may have been in the market. I ordered for it and as usual I checked the content. What I saw shocked me. The drink have sodium benzoate and vitamin C as ingredients. Why was I shocked, you may ask.

Let us briefly look at the two ingredients and the danger of having the two in foods and drinks.

Sodium benzoate is a preservative, a chemical compound derived from a reaction of benzoic acid and sodium hydroxide. It is generally believed to be a carcinogenic additive(cancer causing additive)

Though some food regulatory bodies across the world say it is safe because the amount used to preserve foods is very low, there is an "embargo" on its usage in food/drink. NEVER EVER COMBINE IT WITH VITAMIN C OR E. Why? Research have shown that sodium benzoate and vitamin C or even citric acid can react to form or rather forms BENZENE, a known CARCINOGEN.

This drink contains sodium benzoate and vitamin C. Definitely bezene will be formed. Probably the manufacturers added vitamin C to increase the nutritional quality of the drink but this leaves me to ask, does this drink give nourishment or poison to those who take it? I guess you can answer the question now. You may argue that the quantity of sodium benzoate, Vitamin C in the drink or Benzene that may be formed are too small to have health implications. However, cancer in most cases if not all cases is as a result of cumulative effects of carcinogen in the human system. This is a soft drink, people drink soft drinks like water. Over time, the effect will probably begin to manifest.

What then could have made them to use sodium benzoate and vitamin C in this drink? Already we have assumed the vitamin C may be to increase the nutritional qualities of the drink. Well, for sodium benzoate, it is among the cheapest if not the cheapest mold inhibitor in the market. As a preservative, it helps to extend the shelf life of foods and drinks. But in this case, with vitamin C, it shortens human life.

Sorry for this long epistle and sorry I didn't include references but I believe one, two or more persons will learn from this. Check google for more information on this. Be cautious of what you put in your mouth. Next time you get a drink, don't just gulp, check the ingredients. Not just drinks but also packaged and processed foods.

Note: Rapha Classic is a carbonated drink manufactured by Aqua Rapha owned by Fr. Mbaka.

Lalasticlala, MissyB3 and tjskii, over to you

iHart

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by iHart(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
The Pictures

Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by homeboy205: 7:37pm On Apr 02, 2016
And the pic
Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by iHart(m): 8:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
homeboy205:
And the pic
they are now available

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by Mustay(m): 5:04am On Jun 11, 2017

1 Like

Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by iHart(m): 12:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
Mustay:
Was OP foreseeing the Coca Cola saga that occurred this year: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/coca-cola-poisonous-spirit-fanta-court-nigeria-nigerian-bottling-company-vitamin-c-health-warnings-a7655766.html
i have known this before now. When i saw this coca cola stuff i shared this update on one of the links but the mods didn't move it to front page. Till today that company is still churning out this product. Funny enough, their products are cheaper than all the soft drinks in the market. And as such it is selling out like garri. What will happen to consumers of this products in years to come?

Lalasticlala your attention is needed here please

1 Like

Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by kidman96(m): 9:40pm On Apr 09, 2018
iHart:
Every new day new foods and drinks are introduced into the Nigerian market. Having a NAFDAC number gives the food/drink quick acceptance in the market but does the NAFDAC number actually mean that the products are safe for human comsumption?

I stumbled upon a drink when I travelled to Enugu earlier this week. This was the first time I am seeing the drink though it may have been in the market. I ordered for it and as usual I checked the content. What I saw shocked me. The drink have sodium benzoate and vitamin C as ingredients. Why was I shocked, you may ask.

Let us briefly look at the two ingredients and the danger of having the two in foods and drinks.

Sodium benzoate is a preservative, a chemical compound derived from a reaction of benzoic acid and sodium hydroxide. It is generally believed to be a carcinogenic additive(cancer causing additive)

Though some food regulatory bodies across the world say it is safe because the amount used to preserve foods is very low, there is an "embargo" on its usage in food/drink. NEVER EVER COMBINE IT WITH VITAMIN C OR E. Why? Research have shown that sodium benzoate and vitamin C or even citric acid can react to form or rather forms BENZENE, a known CARCINOGEN.

This drink contains sodium benzoate and vitamin C. Definitely bezene will be formed. Probably the manufacturers added vitamin C to increase the nutritional quality of the drink but this leaves me to ask, does this drink give nourishment or poison to those who take it? I guess you can answer the question now. You may argue that the quantity of sodium benzoate, Vitamin C in the drink or Benzene that may be formed are too small to have health implications. However, cancer in most cases if not all cases is as a result of cumulative effects of carcinogen in the human system. This is a soft drink, people drink soft drinks like water. Over time, the effect will probably begin to manifest.

What then could have made them to use sodium benzoate and vitamin C in this drink? Already we have assumed the vitamin C may be to increase the nutritional qualities of the drink. Well, for sodium benzoate, it is among the cheapest if not the cheapest mold inhibitor in the market. As a preservative, it helps to extend the shelf life of foods and drinks. But in this case, with vitamin C, it shortens human life.

Sorry for this long epistle and sorry I didn't include references but I believe one, two or more persons will learn from this. Check google for more information on this. Be cautious of what you put in your mouth. Next time you get a drink, don't just gulp, check the ingredients. Not just drinks but also packaged and processed foods.

Note: Rapha Classic is a carbonated drink manufactured by Aqua Rapha owned by Fr. Mbaka.

Lalasticlala, MissyB3 and tjskii, over to you

iHart

Hello. My company, a courier company can help with the distribution of your products anywhere around Lagos.
Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by iHart(m): 12:18am On Apr 10, 2018
kidman96:

Hello. My company, a courier company can help with the distribution of your products anywhere around Lagos.
unfortunately we are not in Lagos and currently we don't have the capacity to enter Lagos market .
Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by Omololu2121: 12:25pm On Apr 10, 2018
NAFDAC is a useless organization, just like the Nigerian police.

The number of fake cough syrup in the country now,go make you fear
Re: Rapha Classic: A Drink Or A Poison? (pic) by iHart(m): 1:49pm On Apr 10, 2018
Omololu2121:
NAFDAC is a useless organization, just like the Nigerian police.

The number of fake cough syrup in the country now,go make you fear
I can attest to that. A lot of substandard drugs and harmful foods floods our market everyday.

(1) (Reply)

What Did You Eat On Christmas Day! / Strawberry + Banana Recipe For Healthy Weight Loss / Is There Any Difference Between The Red Labeled Coca-cola And Non-Red Labeled on

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.