Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,218 members, 7,829,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me (4523 Views)

9-Year-Old Boy That Saved His 3-Year-Old Brother From Drowning In A Well (Video) / 3-year-old Boy Shows Swag In Adorable Birthday Photo Shoot / I Am Not The Father Of My 3-Year-Old 'Son' - Nigerian Man Cries Out (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by blackedwin: 1:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
Hello House,
I'm in shock as I'm writing this, I seriously need advice on the way forward
My 3 year old daughter said she was thirsty and wanted drinking water so I walked over the fridge got a bottle of water poured it into her cup and hand it over to her,she took a little and said she was done I was upset cos I was like is this why you made me drop what I was doing.to ensure she won't come back saying she was thirsty I said to her drink all of it she answered dad I'm ok, I repeated finish it she took a few rounds and then walked to the kitchen table and dropped the water cup walked back to me and said Dad I'm angry Dad I'm mad and walked away since then I've been feeling really bad.
How do I assure her I meant well for her

1 Like

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 03, 2016
How did u mean well by forcing her to take more than she wanted? Go and apologise to her then take her out to have a nice time.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by maxti: 1:29pm On Apr 03, 2016
banttieman:
How did u mean well by forcing her to take more than she wanted? Go and apologise to her then take her out to have a nice time.
Well said !

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 03, 2016
blackedwin:
Hello House,
My 3 year old daughter said she was thirsty and wanted drinking water so I walked over the fridge got a bottle of water poured it into her cup and hand it over to her,she took a little and said she was done I was upset cos I was like is this why you made me drop what I was doing.to ensure she won't come back saying she was thirsty I said to her drink all of it she answered dad I'm ok, I repeated finish it she took a few rounds and then walked to the kitchen table and dropped the water cup walked back to me and said Dad I'm angry Dad I'm mad and walked away since then I've been feeling really bad.

Why would you attempt to force your daughter to drink more water than she needed? She'd had enough, you were insisting she hadn't. Huh?

Anyway, toddlers will say a lot of things they don't always mean. They are pretty forgiving by nature though, I wouldn't get too upset by what she said, but learn to respect their choices, at this age, they are just developing their own personalities, and realising they're individuals, not an extension of their parents.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by yvelchstores(f): 1:55pm On Apr 03, 2016
Op, being a man, I understand why u felt she needed to drink more. I don't see what you did as wrong. Water is good for the body. Children don't knw all that is good for them. Taking more water is good for her. If she says she is mad at you tell her that's not a good thing to say. Discipline your child o. Naira landers don't love your child more than u. Don't let them tell u how to disciple your child. Tell her not to say such again and buy her ice cream for listening and obeying afterwards.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by PresVA: 2:21pm On Apr 03, 2016
banttieman:
Apologise ko, odi mma grin grin ...

Don't see anything wrong with what the op did.. some kids can disturb a lot, i tell you if the op hadn't commanded her to take more water, she would come back every 5mins asking for water... You can't be disturbing for water only to sip a lil when it comes sad

The op did what he thought was best at that moment. . The kids mustn't have their way all the time..Also, just for asking her to drink more water, she's angry and mad already. . Ok oo

OP, ask her why she's "mad" at you anyway. ..

11 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Blade21: 2:26pm On Apr 03, 2016
yvelchstores:
Op, being a man, I understand why u felt she needed to drink more. I don't see what you did as wrong. Water is good for the body. Children don't knw all that is good for them. Taking more water is good for her. If she says she is mad at you tell her that's not a good thing to say. Discipline your child o. Naira landers don't love your child more than u. Don't let them tell u how to disciple your child. Tell her not to say such again and buy her ice cream for listening and obeying afterwards.
oh please kids drink water all the time and de do so ON little quantity except the are very thirsty you have no right whatsoever to force de child becuase you are de parent who does that I have a toddler I know how annoying what she did is but that's not discipline he bullied her

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Blade21: 2:32pm On Apr 03, 2016
blackedwin:
Hello House,
at that moment she didn't want water she wanted attention and decided to get it de easiest way but you didn't understand and choose to bully her instead apologise to her it's no biggy then tell her y you did that kiss her on de fore head nd tell her you love her that will boost her confidence and she will smile next time don't force

3 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
Blade21:
oh please kids drink water all the time and de do so ON little quantity except the are very thirsty you have no right whatsoever to force de child becuase you are de parent who does that I have a toddler I know how annoying what she did is but that's not discipline he bullied her

In a manner of speaking, yes. It is not unheard of for a child to have a fear of water, if drinking times become more akin to torture or punishment.

Water is good for us, a child will know when he or she has had enough. Adults are the worst culprits when it comes to NOT drinking enough water daily, opting for fizzy drinks, juice, squash and for some, beer. Children don't often have these options, so they generally drink more water than adults do, on a fluid-to-body ratio.

Yes, kids can run their parents ragged, asking for water frequently, but that's what parenting is all about. It is actually best if children drink water in small quantities at frequent intervals, than large quantities, at widely-spaced intervals.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by yvelchstores(f): 2:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
Blade21:
Call it anything. It's his child, when u have your own, treat her how u like.

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 03, 2016
yvelchstores:

There's no need to get unduly defensive and aggressive. The thread starter asked for opinions, which he's getting. That's all they are - opinions. He doesn't have to act upon them. You also posted your own opinion, and a suggestion.

Besides, the person you quoted here DOES have a child. smiley

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Blade21: 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2016
yvelchstores:

it's his child but he's on a public forum so my opinion counts and yes I have two beautiful kids so bye

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Blade21: 2:52pm On Apr 03, 2016
Siena:

In a manner of speaking, yes. It is not unheard of for a child to have a fear of water, if drinking times become more akin to torture or punishment.

Water is good for us, a child will know when he or she has had enough. Adults are the worst culprits when it comes to NOT drinking enough water daily, opting for fizzy drinks, juice, squash and for some, beer. Children don't often have these options, so they generally drink more water than adults do, on a fluid-to-body ratio.

Yes, kids can run their parents ragged, asking for water frequently, but that's what parenting is all about. It is actually best if children drink water in small quantities at frequent intervals, than large quantities, at widely-spaced intervals.
thank you joor I have two so I know what am saying

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 03, 2016
blackedwin:
Hello House,

Instead of forcing her to gulp it down, you should have just kept it on a low table where she can easily reach it when next she's thirsty.
As for what she said, don't mind her. She probably heard it from other grown up kids.

7 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2016
PresVA:
Apologise ko, odi mma grin grin ...

Don't see anything wrong with what the op did.. some kids can disturb a lot, i tell you if the op hadn't commanded her to take more water, she would come back every 5mins asking for water... You can't be disturbing for water only to sip a lil when it comes sad

The op did what he thought was best at that moment. . The kids mustn't have their way all the time..Also, just for asking her to drink more water, she's angry and mad already. . Ok oo

OP, ask her why she's "mad" at you anyway. ..

Are u a parent already?

1 Like

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by DrObum(m): 3:09pm On Apr 03, 2016
yvelchstores:

He should tell her not to say how she feels

How would He then know if she is hurt tomorrow Even if she doesn't mean all that she said, her saying it out helps OP to monitor where she learns the use of such words.

Please, never tell a child not to speak out!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by GoldenJAT(m): 3:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
1 of ur ancestors is back..... That's d summary of everything.
Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by zaynie(f): 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2016
Op, brace up for more if you have an outspoken and headstrong child.

My 3 year old son came home from school, apparently I had forgotten to put his snacks in his bag.
" My mummy, you are a naughty mummy. Why didn't you give me snacks today? Everybody was eating snacks and I didnt have snacks"
I had to apologise buh the way he said it so shocked and pained me.
And when we are dragging eat or no eat nko? and maybe I mistakenly spill water or drop soup on him! He goes " you see....you see...you see what you have caused" .

So if you have an outspoken child don't shut the child down, instead steer her towards proper venting using only polite words.
Tell her "I'm sorry I made you drink all that water but you shouldnt have said ......... next time you have to say ........... to express your anger or displeasure"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by SAMBARRY: 5:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
banttieman:
eyin lenbomoje.ogedenbaje elo npo.

She gave her the water she will need so she won't have to be calling her mummy even 2minutes.can't you see she's already showing signs of someone who will be aggressive and easily upset

Solution. Ignore her.children forget things easily. When she cries and sees nobody answered her she will sleep off.by the time she wakes up she's the one hugging you and has already forgotten what happened

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by SAMBARRY: 6:04pm On Apr 03, 2016
Continue encouraging rudeness from your son.na una type dey get those kain pikin wey dey tell their mama to shut up.being outspoken is different from being rude.even if he wasn't happy with what mummy did he should have said it in a respectful way.

Una no dey use please, thank you ma/sir,excuse me ma/sir to train una pikin ni?
zaynie:
Op, brace up for more if you have an outspoken and headstrong child.

My 3 year old son came home from school, apparently I had forgotten to put his snacks in his bag.
" My mummy, you are a naughty mummy. Why didn't you give me snacks today? Everybody was eating snacks and I didnt have snacks"
I had to apologise buh the way he said it so shocked and pained me.
And when we are dragging eat or no eat nko? and maybe I mistakenly spill water or drop soup on him! He goes " you see....you see...you see what you have caused" .

So if you have an outspoken child don't shut the child down, instead steer her towards proper venting using only polite words.
Tell her "I'm sorry I made you drink all that water but you shouldnt have said ......... next time you have to say ........... to express your anger or displeasure"

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
SAMBARRY:
eyin lenbomoje.ogedenbaje elo npo.

She gave her the water she will need so she won't have to be calling her mummy even 2minutes.can't you see she's already showing signs of someone who will be aggressive and easily upset

Solution. Ignore her.children forget things easily. When she cries and sees nobody answered her she will sleep off.by the time she wakes up she's the one hugging you and has already forgotten what happened

I understand ur expression. Do u know there are so many things u can't save for when u need them? There is no spoiling here. Even after forcing the child, do you think she wont come back demanding something else? So u would beat her at every demand? Kids annoy us often but we need to deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by SAMBARRY: 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
yvelchstores:
exactly. This is more sensible and logical. At 3 a child shouldn't be using such profane words.even When wura is upset she passes her message with tantrums and throwing whatever I give her away she doesn't use coarse words then I'll come down to her level oya talk to mummy what is the matter? Your teacher beat you?you don't like the food,you want to watch tv,are you tired? Etc like that then she'll open up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by zaynie(f): 6:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
SAMBARRY:
Continue encouraging rudeness from your son.na una type dey get those kain pikin wey dey tell their mama to shut up.being outspoken is different from being rude.even if he wasn't happy with what mummy did he should have said it in a respectful way.

Una no dey use please, thank you ma/sir,excuse me ma/sir to train una pikin ni?

Not Me, Not Today smiley
Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by SAMBARRY: 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2016
banttieman:

I understand ur expression. Do u know there are so many things u can't save for when u need them? There is no spoiling here. Even after forcing the child, do you think she wont come back demanding something else? So u would beat her at every demand? Kids annoy us often but we need to deal with it.
what is forcing there by dropping extra water for her? Did the Op push it down her throat? If she get angry and she is ignored she will know that throwing tantrums is not allowed and will be ignored till she communicates.if you give her attention every time she shows aggression you're only fueling her anger the more and I hope you know anger is also a terrible trait that grows with children and it's hard to remove. This is the time to remove IT from her
Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by SAMBARRY: 6:16pm On Apr 03, 2016
zaynie:

Not Me, Not Today smiley
better
Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
SAMBARRY:
what is forcing there by dropping extra water for her? Did the Op push it down her throat? If she get angry and she is ignored she will know that throwing tantrums is not allowed and will be ignored till she communicates.if you give her attention every time she shows aggression you're only fueling her anger the more and I hope you know anger is also a terrible trait that grows with children and it's hard to remove. This is the time to remove IT from her

Daughter said I'm ok.
Dad said Finish it.

That is coercion if u dont know. I will rest my case here aa u dont seem to understand my point.

1 Like

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by byvan03: 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
All these western training patterns are really messing with kids these days. No be only " dad am mad at you", the way some people dramatised the issue is even funnier. You bullied her, you shut her down,you did this and that undecided.

OP nah you know oooo, I hope you aren't counting on Nairaland advice to raise your child. If you are doing your job well, the quality of kid you are raising should tell you so not Nairaland .

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by SAMBARRY: 7:13pm On Apr 03, 2016
banttieman:

Daughter said I'm ok.
Dad said Finish it.

That is coercion if u dont know. I will rest my case here aa u dont seem to understand my point.
wow that's nice.I love that. Finish it means she won't be thirsty anytime soon and that is a good way of training. smiley

I give him a round of applause

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by ogawisdom(m): 7:17pm On Apr 03, 2016
blackedwin:
Hello House,

U r a weak ass Dad, spare d rod n spoil d child. By d time she is 16yrs she will bring boys to ur houz n Bleep them mumu

1 Like

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
ogawisdom:

U r a weak ass Dad, spare d rod n spoil d child. By d time she is 16yrs she will bring boys to ur houz n Bleep them mumu

Bro, you may not agree with how the thread starter chooses to raise his child, I get that. But it wouldn't kill you to be civil.

Please, respond with the wisdom your username suggests you have.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by ogawisdom(m): 7:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
Siena:

Bro, you may not agree with how the thread starter chooses to raise his child, I get that. But it wouldn't kill you to be civil.

Please, respond with the wisdom your username suggests you have.

I always have my opinion move on if u dnt like them.

To me op is a big goatsad

And if u Siena can't see d wisdom in my post them u might b dull too n dnt ve a take on issues like this.

FYI spare d rod n spoil d child is a divine injunction frm d all knowing God
Re: My 3 Year Old Says She's Mad @ Me by austine4real(m): 7:32pm On Apr 03, 2016
Is that y u are worried?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See Bride Carrying The Groom / #IWD2016 Empowering The Girl Child To Become A Woman;Breaking The Glass Ceiling / Please Advice Me On My Family Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.