Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? (3354 Views)

Men That Do House Chores For Their Wives (Photos) / "I Am Too Beautiful To Do House Chores" - Nigerian Woman. See Reactions / Is It Right To Share House Chores Between Husband And Wife? Bamisepeters' Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 9:52am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

Different strokes my dear smiley

As a renowned Helicopter parent(kids call me that undecided) , I did what I had to do at the time. (I used to find it intrusive, utterly offensive & annoying , when other parents tell you how to raise your kids right, especially when noone is perturbed) , I saw it as a phase which was fun IMO. Kids used their savings on vacations and all that.

But you're right in your submission though. They must understand the essence of responsibility. Really , who wants to raise a couch potato brat considering the present world where accountability supasses everything else?

I'm great sweetheart, hope all is good in your end? smiley

You are very correct, no one can tell you how to raise your kids.. we can only give suggestions but that's all it is. We all different and variety is the spice of life.

I started saving once i was in secondary school. I had pocket money and was aware of the importance of money.Prior to that, i just did what my parents asked me to do as they never asked for something i wasn't able to do.

It is well with us. smiley

I am good, thanks darling. kiss

4 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 9:55am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
all this end time mother's dey vex me grin

I dey wait for wura make she grows fast con tell me mummy I can't wash the pots because you've not paid me grin

This is Nigeria o.I no dey for all this sme sme oyinbo style.

Actually, My first once asked me that when she was 4 or so grin , it was very funny coz others never did, sometimes I had to refund them when we are in the store and they needed to buy toys or treats,

that kid looveees money like crazy... We use same Apple ID and I dare not use her credit I tell you.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 9:55am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

Hehe grin grin my bad, I thought you were referring to your mom.

No na, my mum no dey joke. Then as kids we used to tell other kids our own mum is wicked simply because she doesn't allow us do what other kids do.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:58am On Apr 04, 2016
That's good.bottomline just as there are no perfect persons there are no perfect parents. Parents raise their kids differently based on what they perceive as their reality. So the point is we should all endeavour not to raise overspoilt rotten brats buy intelligent, smart hardworking and domesticated kids instead of all this indomie agric fowls
edwife:

You are very correct, no one can tell you how to raise your kids.. we can only give suggestions but that's all it is. We all different and variety is the spice of life.

I started saving once i was in secondary school. I had pocket money and was aware of the importance of money.Prior to that, i just did what my parents asked me to do as they never asked for something i wasn't able to do.

It is well with us. smiley

I am good, thanks darling. kiss
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 9:59am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
remember that time there was a thread that had to do with a woman who left her tesident country to do owanmbe in Nigeria and then left her 10 and 13 year old kids. You were part of the people saying that child abuse.it's This it's that. You nor see were parents they leave Theo children for house with heaps OF clothes to wash and it must be spread on the wire before their arrival. Is that not building castle in the air by saying it's child abuse to leave children at home and go out as if it's not a common occurrence in Nigeria

If you are talking about that then i still stand by my words. I will never in my life leave my 10 and 13 years old all ALONE at home and fly to ANOTHER CONTINENT to PARTY! It is highly IRRESPONSIBLE and DISGUSTING. Are you for real? undecided

She did not just leave them for a day but WEEKS! Be it in Nigeria or Abroad, i will never try that. And to think we live in a country whereby any small mistake will make you lose your kids to social services and you want me to go through that just because i want to eat jollof rice and wear lace to celebrate with people who won't give a Bleep if anything happens to my kids.

Yeah right, i agree- i live in a fantasy land and i am snow white. wink

2 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:00am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

Actually, My first once asked me that when she was 4 or so grin , it was very funny coz others never did, sometimes I had to refund them when we are in the store and they needed to buy toys or treats,

that kid looveees money like crazy... We use same Apple ID and I dare not use her credit I tell you.
lol grin

Orisirisi. That's your own parental style and I respect that however I will NEVER subscribe to such. If you ask me that kain yeye question it's my eyes that will do the talking cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:06am On Apr 04, 2016
grin grin grin grin

Ediwife ooooo grin grin grin

All those parents here in Nigeria. I'm not talking of obodo oyinbo o.I mean here in Nigeria who leave their kids for weeks and leave food in the fridge for them to help themselves while they are away nko? It's part of letting them grow fast and taking care of themselves and their siblings independently when you're away

My owanmbe friends do that.though the kids may break few plates but they cope and they do well.so I don't see anything wrong. I mean for adolescents o not young lads cheesy
edwife:

If you are talking about that then i still stand by my words. I will never in my life leave my 10 and 13 years old all ALONE at home and fly to ANOTHER CONTINENT to PARTY! It is highly IRRESPONSIBLE and DISGUSTING. Are you for real? undecided

She did not just left them for a day but WEEKS! Be it in Nigeria or Abroad, i will never try that. And to think we live in a country whereby any small mistake will make you lose your kids to social service and you want me to go through that just because i want to eat jellof rice and wear lace to celebrate with people who won't give a Bleep if anything happens to my kids.

Yeah right, i agree i live in a fantasy land and i am snow white. wink

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 10:07am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
mayb when theyre all grown up and leave your house you will keep paying them for washing their clothes, cleaning their fridge,washing their car and arranging the cloths. Ogedenbaje lo elonpo

kuilye you'll never change oh. You stopped reading my post after the first paragraph

SAMBARRY:
That's good.bottomline just as there are no perfect persons there are no perfect parents. Parents raise their kids differently based on what they perceive as their reality. So the point is we should all endeavour not to raise overspoilt rotten brats buy intelligent, smart hardworking and domesticated kids instead of all this indomie agric fowls

Hmmm, BOTTOMLINE.. it's none of your beeswax since we have different last names cool

AND

I'll raise my brood as I deem , end of story tongue abi dandan ni (na by force?) cheesy lol
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 10:09am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
lol grin

Orisirisi. That's your own parental style and I respect that however I will NEVER subscribe to such. If you ask me that kain yeye question it's my eyes that will do the talking cheesy

Egbe , I'm going to sleep jor, kisses to my Princess kiss
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:11am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

Egbe , I'm going to sleep jor, kisses to my Princess kiss
good night o grin

Don't forget to turn off the lights in the sitting room,corridors and kitchen. Check whether the gas cooker Is of and the electric cooker,lock the door and close the curtains wink grin

Good morning here o grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 10:14am On Apr 04, 2016
This is exactly why I don't like oversabi nose pokers especially when it comes to parenting. I'd rather read professional parenting blogs.

Nice one Ableguy angry angry

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:14am On Apr 04, 2016
Good moreen here o grin grin grin grin

It's 10.13am here in the city of Lagos, Nigeria grin grin grin

Funny girl grin grin
Ewuro4:

kuilye you'll never change oh. You stopped reading my post after the first paragraph

Hmmm, BOTTOMLINE.. it's none of your beeswax since we have different last names cool

AND

I'll raise my brood as I deem , end of story tongue abi dandan ni (na by force?) cheesy lol

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 10:15am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
good night o grin

Don't forget to turn off the lights in the sitting room,corridors and kitchen. Check whether the gas cooker Is of and the electric cooker,lock the door and close the curtains wink grin

Good morning here o grin

Leave my wrapper kuilye grin I wan go hug my husband for bed. Dude's in wonderland
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 10:15am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
grin grin grin grin

All those parents here in Nigeria. I'm not talking of obodo oyinbo o.I mean here in Nigeria who leave their kids for weeks and leave food in the fridge for them to help themselves while they are away nko? It's part of letting them grow fast and taking care of themselves and their siblings independently when you're away

My owanmbe friends do that.though the kids may break few plates but they cope and they do well.so I don't see anything wrong. I mean for adolescents o not young lads cheesy

If that their idea of letting them grow fast (whatever that means) then it is their business. Owambe? gringrin

When some exhaust their life savings and live beyond their means just to throw or attend owambe why won't they leave their kids alone? undecided undecided.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:21am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:
This is exactly why I don't like oversabi nose pokers especially when it comes to parenting. I'd rather read professional parenting blogs.

why ARE You frowning your face na jidegirl? cool

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Baylam(m): 10:21am On Apr 04, 2016
The bolded explain it all.. God bless you sir

Siena:
As kids, myself and my sisters WERE rewarded with treats for doing jobs round the house, especially for chores which were more meant for grown-ups. These rewards were sometimes candy or cookies, then as we got older, we were rewarded with real money.

Prior to this, we still performed our chores without fail, we were brought up to do so. Receiving token payments wasn't an incentive, it was preparing for financial responsibility.

My mom taught us at an early age how to save money, we kept a record of how much we'd earned, and our mom banked the money as we earned it. We were always able to ask for "drawings", and always knew how much we had at any given time. In our mid-teens, we had our own bank accounts, and knew the value of money, and how to handle it.

Myself and my wife have started the same practice with our eldest child.

It may NOT work for others, but it certainly worked for myself and my siblings. And it's working for our kids now.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:21am On Apr 04, 2016
grin grin grin grin

Ediwife o grin grin grin
edwife:

If that their idea of letting them grow fast (whatever that means) then it is their business. Owambe? gringrin

When some exhaust their life savings and live beyond their means just to throw or attend owambe why won't they leave their kids alone? undecided undecided.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 10:22am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

Thanks, I am flattered. Hmmmm but I will like to have parents that pay me ooo. grin
Ewuro4:

Thanks, I am flattered. Hmmmm but I will like to have parents that pay me ooo.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 10:23am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

Leave my wrapper kuilye grin I wan go hug my husband for bed. Dude's in wonderland
ahan grin

You dey tie wrapper for chest go sleep ni? grin grin grin

Nawa o grin grin grin
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by goodnews201668: 10:25am On Apr 04, 2016
Interesting, I am gleaning ideas on how to raise my own kids. cool
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 04, 2016
Baylam:

You're welcome bro.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 11:18am On Apr 04, 2016
Baylam:

I concur!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 04, 2016
Growing up, my mum never paid me but gave me special treats especially when I made good sales in her shop in her absence. she sometimes will give me money to make my hair or dash me money to keep cos I've really impressed her.
Then whenever we traveled together to Lagos island from Ondo state,..she gets me stuffs to appreciate me cos after a whole day of carrying loads on my head to Bombata, I need encouragement.
All these made me more interested in her line of work cos sometimes customers even prefer to deal with me.

So I really don't think it's bad to give tips to one's kids especially after they've done something impressive

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by goodnews201668: 11:28am On Apr 04, 2016
Hernyolar:
Growing up, my mum never paid me but gave me special treats especially when I made good sales in her shop in her absence. she sometimes will give me money to make my hair or dash me money to keep cos I've really impressed her.
Then whenever we traveled together to Lagos island from Ondo state,..she gets me stuffs to appreciate me cos after a whole day of carrying loads on my head to Bombata, I need encouragement.
All these made me more interested in her line of work cos sometimes customers even prefer to deal with me.

So I really don't think it's bad to give tips to one's kids especially after they've done something impressive

But can you pay your kids to do house chores like doing dishes, washing toilets, scrubbing or moping floors and the likes? I think that's the bone of contention here.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 04, 2016
goodnews201668:

But can you pay your kids to do house chores like doing dishes, washing toilets, scrubbing or moping floors and the likes? I think that's the bone of contention here.

Not really...I won't give them raw cash.
I'll try to use my mum's style..I got lot of special treats...
I won't pay for the basic household chores, everyone is expected to play their roles, I will provide as a mother and the kid should assist me in chores too...more like division of labour.

As per the mopping of floor, my mum knew I detest it a lot...so it was always war time for us, but she knows how to make me do it without been harsh ot authoritative.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by goodnews201668: 2:13pm On Apr 04, 2016
Hernyolar:

Not really...I won't give them raw cash.
I'll try to use my mum's style..I got lot of special treats...
I won't pay for the basic household chores, everyone is expected to play their roles, I will provide as a mother and the kid should assist me in chores too...more like division of labour.

As per the mopping of floor, my mum knew I detest it a lot...so it was always war time for us, but she knows how to make me do it without been harsh ot authoritative.

Lol,okay. I think have the same type of mum.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by damiso(f): 12:47pm On Apr 05, 2016
SAMBARRY:
grin grin grin grin

This sambarry ehn grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I 100% agree with Edwife on this though.

However I disagree that this is the norm even in Nigeria( I grew up in Nigeria) it is irresponsible to leave a 10/13 year old at home UNSUPERVISED for weeks on end just to party. Maybe a 16 and 13 year old ( even that sef you should have a guardian check in on them once in a while you cant just leave SOME teenagers to their own devices).The issue and why she got into trouble was not making arrangements for an adult guardian to check in on them while she was away( and away for such a flimsy reason).

At Topic, wont pay them for chores but I believe in Incentivising children for going above and beyond. I feel certain chores are just what you need to do but if you for instance spend hours helping me clear out the loft with a lot of work that you would not normally do , I believe you should be rewarded for it. I had that as a child and will do the same for my children.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 05, 2016
People should do what is best for their family and children.
Children like marriages are all different
Some children need iron hand and some need soft hand, so if the parent is a responsible parent and knows what they are doing, then no one can know better than them.
People on the outside may think the parent is mad, but the parent knows what he/she is doing.

We promised our son a particular amount for every A that he got in his GCSE & A-levels and when he delivered we paid him.
When either of them impress us, we sometimes give treats. Its an incentive and it makes them want to do more.

Re housework, they each have their own chores which they know to do
If they do go beyond expectation, then as a parent you may want to give them a treat, but its up to the parent what that treat may be and if at all they want to give the treat

Like I said each home has its own dynamics.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 05, 2016
Madam Sambarry that woman did bad o!
make we talk true
Its bad enough in Nigeria not to talk of obodo oyibo
I can count the number of times I've entered my neighbours house
People mind their business, so no one would have checked on those kids.
So those kids could have died in the house and no one would be the wiser.

She was not in hospital
She was not at work
She was in Naija for an owambe
She could afford ticket and aso ebi but could not afford childcare
where are her priorities?
If she wasnt at the party wont the party hold?
When you have kids, they must always come first
Someone I know tragically lost her baby when she left the baby at home with her elder brother and went to vigil
Candle set fire and the place burnt down killing the baby
If an adult were to be at home, maybe the adult would have known what to do in the emergency.
A kid can only think like a kid.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by raumdeuter: 5:13pm On Apr 05, 2016
Children especially from age 10 upwards have money needs

I would support a mix where they get e.g a fixed amount as allowance say $50/month, then they get a variable as tips for chores they do outside of the normal house chores

Normal house chores include Cleaning your room and washing your plates are not chores that qualify.

E.g Dad that has a carshop if he has like a teenage boy and he helps at the shop, he can get paid at $1/hr for the work done. A woman has a shop her daughter helps out after school she gets paid for it.

If we have stuff to do at home thats outside the normal daily chores too they can get paid for it. E.g painting some rooms

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 05, 2016
raumdeuter:
Children especially from age 10 upwards have money needs

I would support a mix where they get e.g a fixed amount as allowance say $50/month, then they get a variable as tips for chores they do outside of the normal house chores

Normal house chores include Cleaning your room and washing your plates are not chores that qualify.

E.g Dad that has a carshop if he has like a teenage boy and he helps at the shop, he can get paid at $1/hr for the work done. A woman has a shop her daughter helps out after school she gets paid for it.

If we have stuff to do at home thats outside the normal daily chores too they can get paid for it. E.g painting some rooms

Please I want to be your e-daughter o!
I want $50 a month too grin
Thank God my kids dont come to NL or they will just be chasing me around cool grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by raumdeuter: 5:21pm On Apr 05, 2016
tearoses:

Please I want to be your e-daughter
I want $50 a month too grin
Thank God my kids dont come to NL or they will just be chasing me around cool grin

I am talking about teenagers from 13 upwards,, they have needs and not all their needs they can ask you. Can your 15yr old son tell you he wants to buy stuffs for his gf or take his gf to the movies. Movie ticket for 2 plus popcorn and Icee drink sef thats like over $20.

You wouldnt want your son to be depressed because he cant represent for his babe. Na you girls sef dey push these young boys.

if you know the number of cards i bought in my time. A lot of it I had to steal from my mom to buy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Is Cooking Gas In Your Area / I Want My Daughter To Wear A Chastity Ring / I Am Too Depressed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.