Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate (873 Views)

The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) / What's The Highest Score You Ever Got In A Course As An Undergraduate? / Which Of These Sentences Scares You Most As An Undergraduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Iamdagreatguy(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2016
AS I DROP MY PEN AS AN UNDERGRADUATE!!!!!!!

"Your education is a dress rehearsal for a life that's yours to lead"- Nora Ephron

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a step, they say.
The journey started late 2008 when I secured admission into The Polytechnic Ibadan, to study Estate Management. After two sessions with upper credit, I graduated and was fortunate to be employed by the defunct Intercontinental Bank where I worked for a while before I successfully secured admission into the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife as a direct entry student to study the noble profession Estate Management.

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY ILE-IFE
The journey in OAU which is more of blessings is recapitulated with favorable and unfavorable conditions, OAU which is well known for strike actions did not disappoint me in anyway during the course of my stay. OAU is a school blessed with natural characteristics, the state of the art structures, the aesthetics and landscape is nonpareil to any school in Africa, that explains why it's being referred to as "Africa most beautiful campus". OAU community is a peaceful community, the serenity is unsurppasable with top-notch buildings, cosmographical architecturally designed structures to serve as a tourist centres.
7am-7pm lectures mostly on daily basis, frequent assignments, carrying of drawing board and other drawing instruments thrice in a week, practicals under scorching sun, are part of what characterized my days in OAU. Getting home in the night with discombobulation on what to do, either to cook and eat, do assignment, read for impromptu test, or sleep and forget all because I have to wake up very early in the morning.

STRIKE ACTIONS IN OAU
It's apropos for me to include this strike actions in OAU. OAU is a school that its management see strike as a way of punishing any union. They see closing down of school as a thing of joy, also ASUU and NASU are not left out, ASUU are used to demanding 56days leave forgetting that they are dawdling the life of students. In year 2012 when I was in part 2 ASUU went for 56days leave, in part 3,we went for 6months ASUU strike, after 2nd semester break ASUU requested for another 56days leave which was granted. On resumption for part 4 we went for close to 3months strike which resulted from school fees increment protest. Part 5, Management and NASU rift which precipitated into more than a month strike action, this supervene into shutting down of school for a week due to the demise of Ooni Sijuade, followed by a month break for coronation and convocation.

POOR WELFARISM IN OAU
With top of the world architecturally designed structures, the maintenence structure of OAU is nothing to write home about, most toilets in all halls of residence are bad, the storex tanks are dirty with some leaking, bathrooms are in a despicable state, always smelling, overcrowding in all halls of residence due to inadequate hostel, germy, unhygienic water, conditions of chairs and tables at lectures theatres are getting worse day in day out,drainages are dirty, stinking with stagnant water.

POSSIBLE WAY OUT
Sincerity, passion, readiness to service, love for humanity, fear of God etc from the management will go a long way. The current cabals of management who have held this school to ransom should be obviated in the next administration. The unnecessary ongoing new senate Building which can be adjudged as a misplacement of priority should be stopped and d funds diverted to restructuring, renovating, reconditioning of all the hostels, lectures theatres etc. Construction of new hostels to ameliorate the problems faced. Lastly and most importantly, REINSTATEMENT AND THE INDEPENDENCE OF OUR BELOVED UNION (STUDENTS' UNION).

MY APPRECIATION
It's pertinent to give honor to whom it's due. First and foremost, I appreciate the most high God, the I am that I am,Ancient of days for sparing my life, for being my God even though am a sinner, He never leaves me to suffer, indeed you're the incomparable God. My parent Cath. and Mrs. Afolabi for their support- morally, financially, spiritually and in all aspects, my siblings Mr. and Mrs. Job, Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Afolabi, Rev. Calistus Afolabi, all my extended families, my cousins, my lecturers who through lectures, personal encounters, advise me on ways of life and how to be relevant. To all my friends and colleagues (The Domitors) and others too numerous to mention, I appreciate you all.
Lastly, to the department of Estate Management, where I served as the head - protocol committee for the first National Estate Management Students' Association (NEMSA) Conference (2011/2012 session). Financial secretary Estate Management Students' Association (2012/2013 session), Speaker Estate Management Students' Representative Council (2014/2015 session).
To the faculty of Environmental Design and Management, where I served as the pioneer Electoral Commission Chairman (2014/2015 session).
To OAU students' union where I served as an honorable member OAU students' Representative Council (2013/2014 session) Welfare Committee member Great Ife Students' Union (2013/2014 session). Am very grateful for the opportunities given to serve.

Today, 4th of April, 2016 am happy to drop my pen as an undergraduate after successfully writing my last paper (ESM 506).
Let me depart with this words of advice to my fellow graduates.
"Life is the most exciting opportunity we have. But we have one slot. You graduate from college ones, and that's it. You're going out of that nest. And you have to find that courage that's deep, deep, deed in there. Every step of the way "- Andrew Shue

God bless me
God bless Estate Management department
God bless faculty of EDM
God bless OAU
God bless Nigeria

Rt. Hon. Afolabi Albert
ND (Poly Ibadan) BSc. (OAU)

2 Likes

Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Temmi001: 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2016
From punctuations to spellings, wrong use of words to an Ill display of your knowledge of Concord, I can't but condemn the system that nurtured you.
Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Ojestas(m): 1:10pm On Apr 04, 2016
We all have stories to tell . . back to back. . . We r just not creating threads for them
Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by xender(m): 4:28pm On Apr 04, 2016
first to comment you no good at all o.

congrats bro success on your future endeavors.
Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Oyetboy(m): 5:07pm On Apr 04, 2016
without minding your conjugations, i say Congrats to you! I can't wait for mine also
Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Bakare19: 5:21pm On Apr 04, 2016
You are sighted, bro. Congrats! It's not easy.
Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Iamdagreatguy(m): 5:39pm On Apr 04, 2016
Temmi001:
From punctuations to spellings, wrong use of words to an Ill display of your knowledge of Concord, I can't but condemn the system that nurtured you.

Thank you bad belle
Re: As I Drop My Pen As An Undergraduate by Temmi001: 5:47pm On Apr 04, 2016
Iamdagreatguy:

Thank you bad belle
Sure, I refuse to wallow in mediocrity.

(1) (Reply)

m / Let's See How Technical You Can Think!!! / Waec, Waec Waec How Many Times Did I Call You? (pls Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.