Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? (2315 Views)

PDP Convention: Don't Underestimate The Yorubas - FFK Warns / List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them Eventually (photos) / Stop Adding To Our Problems, Give Us A Little Respect - Soldier Warns Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by ijebu2020: 12:55pm On Apr 05, 2016
Ths Op nor well at all so you mean cos of respect if person insult your parents u will tell the person thnx and go back home nd tell ur parents that somebody insulted them to your face? c some of you underage and children shld be removed frm ths NL forum..small children like u always talk like one..grow up

5 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by Movic1(m): 1:03pm On Apr 05, 2016
Knowledge9000:
From observation yoruba mainly the younger men under 35 are the most vile, uncouth, misguided, irrational sets of men on this planet. You see them even here on Nairaland with monikers like pussycream, juicypussy, vaginajuice, Pussyodour, GstringAngela, pardon my language. I wasn't surprised when I heard Wizkid use such dirty language on Linda. They have no control. The reason for this behaviour will shock you...most yoruba men today are raised by single mothers, meaning no fathers at home. In most cases where there are fathers at home, the women run the family. Matriacy is very strong in yoruba household which is the opposite in Igbo and hausa where patriacy is incredible strong...translates to discipline. Older yoruba men know what I'm talking about...they see this everyday.

A popular US psychiatrist once said it takes a mother to raise a child but takes a father to raise a man!

Same patriarchy in igbo/hausa land lead their kids to Almajiri,terrorism,drug traffickers,kidnappers, prostitution etc right? Is that discipline? I think the Matriarchy is 100times better

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by Destined2win: 1:15pm On Apr 05, 2016
ijebu2020:
Ths Op nor well at all so you mean cos of respect if person insult your parents u will tell the person thnx and go back home nd tell ur parents that somebody insulted them to your face? c some of you underage and children shld be removed frm ths NL forum..small children like u always talk like one..grow up
Whose parents were insulted among the people I used as instances?
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by chiefobdk(m): 1:53pm On Apr 05, 2016
ashjay001:

This is exactly wat we're talking abt! U asked a question, I gave u ans, now u're twisting everytin arnd? Ur intentions are evil!

What stops Linda from getting Whizzy's comment b4 embarrassing/disgracing him in public? If he keeps quiet, he is a coward; he does a back to sender with bonus, he is vulgar?

Olamide felt dissed, his qualified candidate lost to a lesser talent(irrespective of d voting requirements), he dissed d organisers, what is DonJazzy's own? His he in cahoots with d organisers?

Guy, I grew up hearing my tribe described as cowards, even right here on nairaland! And, I'm supposed to encourage such mentality to what end?

All my states are filled with foreigners, building, making biz even taking political posts and its not being reciprocated, yet they will turn arnd and call it a no-man's land, or a useless eze will dis a 1st class Oba? So, we should wait until d Isreali/Palestine scenario occurs ba?

why is every yorubad from lagos
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by xtervaganza(m): 2:09pm On Apr 05, 2016
Destined2win:
Note that I am not writing this little piece out of any ulterior motive but to speak my mind on a very important issue which concerns my yoruba people who will make part of my territory when I become President. Heaven knows that this is without prejudice!

To the main issue. The recent media outbursts of some yoruba artists have really put in doubt the long held perception that yoruba people are very respectful to their elders, and are somehow reserved in their speech. Well, I have been indifferent about that percpetion because as someone who resides in a yoruba land, I have seen respectful yorubas and insulting ones. Candidly speaking, I see more of insulting ones than respectful ones. A lot of the ones that give you respect do so as a 'reward for a favor' or 'as a green flag for an expectation.

Not quite long ago during the headies, a yoruba artist by name Olamide who felt his candidate was short-changed in the headies awards came out on stage to rain abuses on both the host and the audience that had people of different background and nationalities. It was very disgraceful! I expected to see a yoruba elder remind olamide that he is from a 'respectful tribe' but alas, i waited in vain.

Olamide used unprintable words on the person of Don jazzy his elder, yet he is from tribe that does not insult elders but 'respectfully' register their grudges or dissatisfaction. This young man is a role model for a lot of young people; and I have seen a lot take after his pseudo-name, 'badoo'. If he apologized for those trashy words on twitter, I am yet to read about it.

Where is the respect of the yorubas?

And the most recently, wizkid, a 'respectful' yoruba boy literally committed verbal murder on One Miss linda Ikeji, using all kinds of unprintable, anti-woman, anti-human words on her. Wizkid showed how depraved our youths have become. I expected a rebuttal from some yoruba elders, but alas, my expectation seem to be meeting a dead end. His colleage in the industry David, another 'respectful' yoruba boy saw joy and bravery in what Wizkid did. If you check online, you would see that majority of those who rejoice in this 'little boys' outburst are yorubas. It puts a big question mark on the 'respectfulness' of this lovable tribe.

Some should please answer me, where is the respect of the yorubas?

we only respect those who deserve it. Not smelly poocee like lindtrash

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by okuneddie(m): 2:32pm On Apr 05, 2016
OP no matter who u use as an example, always remember that we don't wake our fathers up with sliding tackle.

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by agrovick(m): 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2016
Op! Don't be naive.
First of all, the examples you cited are entertainers, they will do anything to keep their brand public (quoting what I read somewhere 'bad publicity is better than no publicity').
Moving forward, it's only logical you respect someone who in his/her dealings with you has shown to be respectful. You can't be goading me and expect me to pretend as if all is well, me ripping you into shreds is bound to happen sooner or later.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by Sirsubway1: 3:17pm On Apr 05, 2016
[s]
Knowledge9000:
From observation yoruba mainly the younger men under 35 are the most vile, uncouth, misguided, irrational sets of men on this planet. You see them even here on Nairaland with monikers like pussycream, juicypussy, vaginajuice, Pussyodour, GstringAngela, pardon my language. I wasn't surprised when I heard Wizkid use such dirty language on Linda. They have no control. The reason for this behaviour will shock you...most yoruba men today are raised by single mothers, meaning no fathers at home. In most cases where there are fathers at home, the women run the family. Matriacy is very strong in yoruba household which is the opposite in Igbo and hausa where patriacy is incredible strong...translates to discipline. Older yoruba men know what I'm talking about...they see this everyday.

A popular US psychiatrist once said it takes a mother to raise a child but takes a father to raise a man!
[/s]

Coming from someone whose people wake there parents with sliding tackle and heavy punch. You should be worried about the rise of baby mamas in your dead region instead of disgracing your family online. Omo ale

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by PRXPERT: 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2016
rubbish! yorubas are hypocrites! there so called respect is a pure camouflage! A yoruba boy will meet two people, one igbo the other yoruba, he will dobale for his brother alone,ignore you like you don't exist! So when wizkid and olamide insulted Linda ikeji and don jazzy I was not surprise!but had it been that both were yorubas they wouldn't have insulted them that way! I know yoruba very well like the back of my hand!
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by sonature1: 3:31pm On Apr 05, 2016
ashjay001:

Too much disrespect is burying it! We're being taken for cowards, and d current youths are out to correct that mentality.

Mention 1 fracas, which was initiated by d Yorubas? They tend to be reactive.

You don't seem to understand what OP is saying, oga. OP is saying that a typical Yoruba person would respectfully show their displeasure even they are pushed to the wall NOT whether they started it or not.

IMO, this has nothing to do with bravery. If not, how would you explain Wizkid, a boy, threatening to beat Linda, a lady? There is an old saying: never fight a woman because if she wins "a lady has beaten you," and if you win, you "hit a lady."

In my perception, the world is changing. Yes, this is 21st Century so we are losing every single thing culture teaches us and there is nothing "culture" can do about it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by veraponpo(m): 3:40pm On Apr 05, 2016
Knowledge9000:

So, where is lack of respect in everything you wrote up there?

Many of you have left the fundamental issue and that is 'respect is reciprocal' from India to Ghana, if you respect me, I will respect you. Both Linda and Don Jazzy threw the first stones. Both Olamide and Wizkid only reacted.

Being respectful is not synonymous to being a coward and it is on record that no tribe has ever fought wars like the Yoruba people in Nigeria. Igbo had only one and they lost it. Hausa did not have many too. Only the Fulani through the influence of the expansion of their emirate could equal the record of the Yoruba people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by BlackBaron: 4:29pm On Apr 05, 2016
Yoruba respect values does not make it superior to other culture's values in respect or not.

Truth is there's something wrong with the social conditioning of this country. For all I know, I'll wager 85% of Nigerian parents discipline their children yet it doesn't reflect especially in those holding pivotal positions.

Did those stealing from the nations coffers skip the 'thou shall not steal' lesson, how about the one about showing empathy, 'obedience to the law and keeping order', 'cursing out your elders'
With all the implied respect and values passed down, most would still grow up and do the opposite. It's simply because as they all grew, they saw the futility of instructions in a society which taught them respect but had the elders doing the opposite of it.

All the issues coming to fore is simply the chicken coming home to roost.
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by ashjay001(m): 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2016
sonature1:

You don't seem to understand what OP is saying, oga. OP is saying that a typical Yoruba person would respectfully show their displeasure even they are pushed to the wall NOT whether they started it or not.

IMO, this has nothing to do with bravery. If not, how would you explain Wizkid, a boy, threatening to beat Linda, a lady? There is an old saying: never fight a woman because if she wins "a lady has beaten you," and if you win, you "hit a lady."

In my perception, the world is changing. Yes, this is 21st Century so we are losing every single thing culture teaches us and there is nothing "culture" can do about it

Read up all my comments. I get culture being thrown out, what I also get is d current Yoruba youth departing from d typical!

In my culture, Linda won't diss Whizzy, he is not her mate and she won't leave herself open to any rude reaction from him! I'm yet to hear of a Funke Akindele dissing Davido, them no be mate and she won't be caught dead in a social media war with him!

When someone who grew up with no respect training disses u, u treat their fuckup! Even when Olamide dissed D'banj, he(D'banj) rolled over and played dumb.
But, I can promise u, Olamide has been to prostrate to D'banj without involving Otedola!

Don't mind d op, he was trying to rub it in, his intentions weren't pure.
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by ashjay001(m): 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2016
veraponpo:

So, where is lack of respect in everything you wrote up there?

Many of you have left the fundamental issue and that is 'respect is reciprocal' from India to Ghana, if you respect me, I will respect you. Both Linda and Don Jazzy threw the first stones. Both Olamide and Wizkid only reacted.

Being respectful is not synonymous to being a coward and it is on record that no tribe has ever fought wars like the Yoruba people in Nigeria. Igbo had only one and they lost it. Hausa did not have many too. Only the Fulani through the influence of the expansion of their emirate could equal the record of the Yoruba people.

Tell it to dem bro, even their reasoning is off!

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by Destined2win: 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2016
PRXPERT:
rubbish! yorubas are hypocrites! there so called respect is a pure camouflage! A yoruba boy will meet two people, one igbo the other yoruba, he will dobale for his brother alone,ignore you like you don't exist! So when wizkid and olamide insulted Linda ikeji and don jazzy I was not surprise!but had it been that both were yorubas they wouldn't have insulted them that way! I know yoruba very well like the back of my hand!
Hmm! I get you
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by Destined2win: 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2016
BlackBaron:
Yoruba respect values does not make it superior to other culture's values in respect or not.

Truth is there's something wrong with the social conditioning of this country. For all I know, I'll wager 85% of Nigerian parents discipline their children yet it doesn't reflect especially in those holding pivotal positions.

Did those stealing from the nations coffers skip the 'thou shall not steal' lesson, how about the one about showing empathy, 'obedience to the law and keeping order', 'cursing out your elders'
With all the implied respect and values passed down, most would still grow up and do the opposite. It's simply because as they all grew, they saw the futility of instructions in a society which taught them respect but had the elders doing the opposite of it.

All the issues coming to fore is simply the chicken coming home to roost.
Word for thought
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by Destined2win: 5:14pm On Apr 05, 2016
ashjay001:

Read up all my comments. I get culture being thrown out, what I also get is d current Yoruba youth departing from d typical!

In my culture, Linda won't diss Whizzy, he is not her mate and she won't leave herself open to any rude reaction from him! I'm yet to hear of a Funke Akindele dissing Davido, them no be mate and she won't be caught dead in a social media war with him!

When someone who grew up with no respect training disses u, u treat their fuckup! Even when Olamide dissed D'banj, he(D'banj) rolled over and played dumb.
But, I can promise u, Olamide has been to prostrate to D'banj without involving Otedola!

Don't mind d op, he was trying to rub it in, his intentions weren't pure.
Are you sure my intentions weren't pure? well I wonder what made you come to that conclusion
Re: What Happened To The Respect Of The Yorubas? by ashjay001(m): 5:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
Destined2win:
Are you sure my intentions weren't pure? well I wonder what made you come to that conclusion

My bad. D way u stated ur 2nd or 3rd comment, vulgar n all, didn't sound like someone with objectivity. By d way, all what I wrote is from my perspective, can't claim to speak for an entire tribe!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ipob Boycott Peace Mass Transit / PHOTOS: "Buhari Free Nnamdi Kanu" Written On Naira Notes Dispensed By ATM / Solution To Igbo's Investment In North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.