Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! (4445 Views)

Photo Of The Day- [see A Guy Wants To Kill Our President!] Lol. / Nigerian Comedian Bovi Proposed To Girlfriend…so Nice / Woman Arrested After Trying To Kill Her Boyfriend With Her Big Brèast During Sèx (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 2:29pm On Apr 05, 2016
The Proposed Motion Picture Practitioners Council of Nigeria (MOPPICON) Bill is a controversial bill which aims to do more than regulate the Nigerian Film industry. The greatest problem for Nollywood now is Piracy and Poor distribution framework not membership of guilds and associations!

What exactly does this bill, which has been
described as 'unnecessary,' 'one sided,' and
'elitist' contain?
Pulse Nigeria have put together 9 important
things stated in the bill which you should know
about.
Here we go;
1. Without being a member of MOPICON, of
course, you will not be ‘entitled’ to practice in
any area of the business of movie making in
Nigeria. The list of ‘entitled’ people will be
circulated to the regulatory bodies every year

2. The functions of the council governing the
body include; determining who are Motion
Picture Practitioners, determining what
standards of knowledge and skills are to be
attained by persons seeking to become
registered as Motion Picture Practitioners and
reviewing those standards from time to time.

3. A person not registered as a member with the
Council is prohibited from producing and making
projects for both the Cinema and Home Video
Market plus Television Stations and Networks for
gains.

4. A person in breach of the above number 3 is
guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a
fine of N100,000 or to imprisonment for a term
of two years.

5. It shall be the duty of MOPICON to furnish the
NFVCB with the list of practitioners to be
licensed in accordance with the National Film
and Video Censors Board Act.

6. No director is allowed to be on more than one
project at a time.

7. No religion or form of worship shall be
depicted in a manner that will expose it to
ridicule.

8. Marketers are to endeavour to ensure that the
Producer gets his copies of the box office return
statement and that payments are made when
due.

9. No actor shall be on more than one project at
a time.
#NoToMoppicon

Source: www.pulse.ng/movies/moppicon-9-things-you-should-know-about-controversial-bill-getting-nollywood-angry-id4859826.html
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by okuneddie(m): 2:57pm On Apr 05, 2016
what I'm seeing here us still good Na , marketers won't be able to dupe them, directors will concentrate on the job at hand and not be directing to or more movies at a time which makes some of their movies look like we are still in 80s.....its a good thing sha, my thoughts though

1 Like

Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by ammyluv2002(f): 3:14pm On Apr 05, 2016
Kill abi revive? I love this bill....
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 3:17pm On Apr 05, 2016
okuneddie:
what I'm seeing here us still good Na , marketers won't be able to dupe them, directors will concentrate on the job at hand and not be directing to or more movies at a time which makes some of their movies look like we are still in 80s.....its a good thing sha, my thoughts though
Bros abeg look the bill well again especially the part that prohibits non-members from engaging in the creative process of making movies! Even OPEC does not stop non-members from producing oil! there is no clear line on fighting piracy in the bill!

1 Like

Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 3:25pm On Apr 05, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Kill abi revive? I love this bill....
Just take a thorough look at what is stated in the bill, that anybody who intends to make a movie must be a member Creativity is freedom!
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by ammyluv2002(f): 3:40pm On Apr 05, 2016
suyamasta:
Just take a thorough look at what is stated in the bill, that anybody who intends to make a movie must be a member Creativity is freedom!
My dear, no vex but i like the restrictions! There should be rules......i can't remember the last time that i ve seen a Nollywood movie. They disappoint alot and that kills me, if this will help then let's all embrace it and encourage the bill.

I, strongly believe that the bill will help reduce and trash out all these "backyard" directors and producers. It's no biggie to register and become a member at least, it will show some level of seriousness. #MyViewsSha

1 Like

Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 4:11pm On Apr 05, 2016
ammyluv2002:
My dear, no vex but i like the restrictions! There should be rules......i can't remember the last time that i ve seen a Nollywood movie. They disappoint alot and that kills me, if this will help then let's all embrace it and encourage the bill.

I, strongly believe that the bill will help reduce and trash out all these "backyard" directors and producers. It's no biggie to register and become a member at least, it will show some level of seriousness. #MyViewsSha
I understand your point in terms of quality! But this bill in my own understanding is about creating a cabal whose selfish interest is of utmost importance! Let me tell you why you see more bad quality movies than good ones now, this is because the distribution framework is not favourable to investors and producers because they hardly recoup their investments not because their movies are not good but because pirates dictate the movement of materials! So those who produce low quality movies which are mostly cheaper have nothing to lose they can afford to produce more less quality movies always! Those who have good quality movies rarely release their films on dvd/vcd except the pirates do it for them! Hence they are discouraged to produce more good movies! So the level playing ground they should have focused on would be ensuring proper distribution and reducing pirate dorminancy! This would enable producers of good quality works whether low budget or high budget with good quality content to make returns on their investments! Nollywood is a creativity sector where ideas are the primary raw materials any form of forced membership would only drive people who are non partisan away, thereby discouraging people who are creative from contributing to the industry! The moppicon bill is more of a political arrangement than a solutionist arrangement!

1 Like

Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by ammyluv2002(f): 4:19pm On Apr 05, 2016
suyamasta:
I understand your point in terms of quality! But this bill in my own understanding is about creating a cabal whose selfish interest is of utmost importance! Let me tell you why you see more bad quality movies than good ones now, this is because the distribution framework is not favourable to investors and producers because they hardly recoup their investments not because their movies are not good but because pirates dictate the movement of materials! So those who produce low quality movies which are mostly cheaper have nothing to lose they can afford to produce more less quality movies always! Those who have good quality movies rarely release their films on dvd/vcd except the pirates do it for them! Hence they are discouraged to produce more good movies! So the level playing ground they should have focused on would be ensuring proper distribution and reducing pirate dorminancy! This would enable producers of good quality works whether low budget or high budget with good quality content to make returns on their investments! Nollywood is a creativity sector where ideas are the primary raw materials any form of forced membership would only drive people who are non partisan away, thereby discouraging people who are creative from contributing to the industry! The moppicon bill is more of a political arrangement than a solutionist arrangement!
Okay! You really do have a point
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 4:26pm On Apr 05, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Okay! You really do have a point
Yea if the bill is to be passed then they should address some of the issues raised
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by john159: 9:03am On Apr 10, 2016
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by Floyd45(m): 5:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
Solid points @suyamaster. Personally, i feel all this effort should rather be put into fighting piracy and proper distribution of our movies.

1 Like

Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 5:46pm On Apr 10, 2016
Floyd45:
Solid points @suyamaster. Personally, i feel all this effort should rather be put into fighting piracy and proper distribution of our movies.
Yes o thats what they should have focused on
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by theshaderoom: 10:49am On Apr 16, 2016
This is a good developement. Give nollywood a standard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by yommywindy: 4:24pm On Oct 03, 2016
suyamasta:
The Proposed Motion Picture Practitioners Council of Nigeria (MOPPICON) Bill is a controversial bill which aims to do more than regulate the Nigerian Film industry. The greatest problem for Nollywood now is Piracy and Poor distribution framework not membership of guilds and associations!

What exactly does this bill, which has been
described as 'unnecessary,' 'one sided,' and
'elitist' contain?
Pulse Nigeria have put together 9 important
things stated in the bill which you should know
about.
Here we go;
1. Without being a member of MOPICON, of
course, you will not be ‘entitled’ to practice in
any area of the business of movie making in
Nigeria. The list of ‘entitled’ people will be
circulated to the regulatory bodies every year

2. The functions of the council governing the
body include; determining who are Motion
Picture Practitioners, determining what
standards of knowledge and skills are to be
attained by persons seeking to become
registered as Motion Picture Practitioners and
reviewing those standards from time to time.

3. A person not registered as a member with the
Council is prohibited from producing and making
projects for both the Cinema and Home Video
Market plus Television Stations and Networks for
gains.

4. A person in breach of the above number 3 is
guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a
fine of N100,000 or to imprisonment for a term
of two years.

5. It shall be the duty of MOPICON to furnish the
NFVCB with the list of practitioners to be
licensed in accordance with the National Film
and Video Censors Board Act.

6. No director is allowed to be on more than one
project at a time.

7. No religion or form of worship shall be
depicted in a manner that will expose it to
ridicule.

8. Marketers are to endeavour to ensure that the
Producer gets his copies of the box office return
statement and that payments are made when
due.

9. No actor shall be on more than one project at
a time.
#NoToMoppicon

Source: www.pulse.ng/movies/moppicon-9-things-you-should-know-about-controversial-bill-getting-nollywood-angry-id4859826.html

OP pls what's the latest on this bill. I am researching on filmmaking in Nigeria and stumbled on this bill issue. I am so alarmed that any one could come up with such RUBBISH. I am even more alarmed that some Nigerians do not even fully understand the magnitude of stiffing and harm this bill could do to the industry and some are here expressing support for it.
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by suyamasta(m): 6:47pm On Oct 03, 2016
yommywindy:

OP pls what's the latest on this bill. I am researching on filmmaking in Nigeria and stumbled on this bill issue. I am so alarmed that any one could come up with such RUBBISH. I am even more alarmed that some Nigerians do not even fully understand the magnitude of stiffing and harm this bill could do to the industry and some are here expressing support for it.
The last time i heard on radio the info minister talking about setting up a committee on MOPPICON
Re: The Proposed Bill To Kill Nollywood! by kyelaaputri: 3:01am On Oct 27, 2016
I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks!Keep rocking.
apk

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What's Wrong With This Pic? / Nigerian Traditional Dancers Twerk And Dance To Drake's "In My Feelings" (Video) / Download Free Face Make Up Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.