Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen (878 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Reacts To Fulani Herdsmen Killings, replies El-rufai / REVEALED! Jonathan Did Not Concede Victory To Buhari Willingly / Boko Haram Takes Over Five Borno Communites In Fresh Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by coolscott(m): 11:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
[size=13pt]I see the creation of grazing lands across the nation for Fulani cattle herdsmen as an investment of valuable time and material resources in the retrogressive direction.

We know for a fact that the Nomadic method of producing cattle does not in any way enhance cattle production.

Countries smaller than Nigeria produce more cattle than we do inspite of the fact that we have more cattle rearers than these other countries. Even countries bigger than us that produce more cattle than we do, have a lower rearer/general population than we do.

What about this old method of growing livestock reflects any kind of improvement in the endeavours of man?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3570772_cattleinventoryworldwide_jpeg0cf2b74659fe35f282702f1823c3ca1a

The Fulani's method of rearing cattle has remained this way for 1,000s of years. Not a single kind of change has been added to it in a world that has improved in all kinds of direction.

It is ridiculous that in trying to maintain (preserve) this method of growing livestock, these people have armed themselves and, thinking we live in lawless medieval times, have gone and massacred people who have no dealings with them whatsoever in a bid to take their lands for the grazing of their cattle.

How can we in response to
1) Their crimes
2) Their folly...

...legislate that in different regions of the country, people's lands should be conceded to these established gun-carrying killers in order that they may grow their cattle peacefully?

The authorities are not bothered about the fact that these people arm themselves and draw first blood even when unprovoked. Why should any responsible community welcome the idea of harbouring such people within or around their territory?

The govt should:
1) Declare a period of grace during which they must give up their guns
2) Bring the weight of the law on those who fail to give up their guns after the grace period is over (just as we had it with the ND militant) 3) Create and maintain large grazing settlements only IN THE NORTH where ethnic differences between them and the locals are nearly non-existent, making it less likely for violence and conflicts to erupt from their interactions. They also speak a common language up north. Cordial interactions are easier to achieve their.
4) Gradually introduce the herdsmen to better cattle-rearing practices within the grazing reserves establish for them in the north. For eg, I know of a northern business that goes to the farmers with milking machines to help them milk their cows. I saw this on a program on Channels TV. If such services keep being introduced within the grazing zones in the north, you give the herdsmen more reasons to not wander too far away from the grazing lands.

Veterinary services should also be available only in the grazing zones.

5) Create these grazing areas in only northern states that agree to accommodate the herdsmen in their domain after having meetings with the stakeholders (assembly members, community leaders, etc., etc.,) as it is in these people's territory they intend to live peacefully. The community must agree first before they are allowed to settle and it means they must meet the terms laid down by the communities in which they want to stay. They are the tenants and the communities hosting them are the landlords. Perhaps a small tax (in cows) should be paid periodically to the host communities. This establishes the tenant-landlord precedent in their relationship, making it difficult for the Fulani's to assume another stance.

6) Not find any reason to fail to swoop down on (and punish) any perpetuators of any Fulani attack on innocent northerners, who will at this time be their hosts.

This way, the Fulani may embrace more modern ways of raising his cattle with reduced Nomadism, increasing his output and being subject to the laws of the lands upon which he grazes as he knows he
a) is disarmed
b) will be punished if he violates the law

P.S: Note that this issue is complex and is not only found in Nigeria. It has been in other African countries with so many minds coming up with solutions that should fit the peculiarity of the issue in those countries. Here, I am emphasizing making these reserves in the north and encouraging them not to wander far off by providing benefits that exist only within the reserves. E.g water, vet services, processing services, etc.

Please read here what another nairalander posted about the proposed bill to create grazing reserves across Nigeria for the Fulani herdsmen:
https://www.nairaland.com/3030111/grazing-reserve-bill-trojan-horse

Take a look at world cattle production ranking by countries. We are not even among the first 17. Who knows where we rank. Spending our resources to further perpetuate nomadism in this day and age is neither smart nor progressive
][/size][/img]

Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Profnedu(m): 12:10am On Apr 06, 2016
My dear no waste ur time Buhari is too clueless to listen to u

1 Like

Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Pidggin(f): 12:13am On Apr 06, 2016
Buhari is on their side unfortunately.
Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 12:24am On Apr 06, 2016
Why cant the southern state do the needful

organise a secret vigilante group go to their camps at night and you know the rest now

it will save a lot of energy on debate

3 Likes

Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 06, 2016
Hagm0nd:
Why cant the southern state do the needful

organise a secret vigilante group go to their camps at night and you know the rest now

it will save a lot of energy on debate

If you do this the authorities under Buhari supervision will go house to house to search for fire arms from the next day. Those caught will be prosecuted and punished under the law. Meanwhile all manner of road blocks will be instituted to make it difficult for the south to own fire arms to protect themselves. In summary we are under international subjugation not colonization by the Hausa / Fulani. The only solution is concerted agitation to stop it. These people have a mission. If they succeed with grazing reserves the next will be to set up an emirate and then sharia law extended beyond the frontiers of the grazing reserves. They are presently reading the environment to plan the next move. This is why we preferred GEJ to Buhari. Not that he was the messiah but Buhari is too insensitive to the diversity which should be for Nigeria a great advantage as it for countries like India. His feudalistic mindset hasn't departed much from Sarduana Amadu Bello political school.
Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 06, 2016
Will they keep the guns in showglasses in their living room,
it better we create civil unrest everywhere then a truce will be called
than to let them keep killing us slowly
if we keep treating this issue with kids glove
i swear we will all pay for it
jomonic:

If you do this the authorities under Buhari supervision will go house to house to search for fire arms from the next day. Those caught will be prosecuted and punished under the law. Meanwhile all manner of road blocks will be instituted to make it difficult for the south to own fire arms to protect themselves. In summary we are under international subjugation not colonization by the Hausa / Fulani. The only solution is concerted agitation to stop it. These people have a mission. If they succeed with grazing reserves the next will be to set up an emirate and then sharia law extended beyond the frontiers of the grazing reserves. They are presently reading the environment to plan the next move. This is why we preferred GEJ to Buhari. Not that he was the messiah but Buhari is too insensitive to the diversity which should be for Nigeria a great advantages as it for countries like India. His feudalistic mindset hasn't departed much from Sarduana Amadu Bello political school.
Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 06, 2016
Hagm0nd:
Will they keep the guns in showglasses in their living room,
it better we create civil unrest everywhere then a truce will be called
than to let them keep killing us slowly
if we keep treating this issue with kids glove
i swear we will all pay for it

My brother I feel you. But I am not for violence. I meant peaceful agitation. All concerned must unite and bring the attention of the world powers. These people are very determined. Besides we are in a very weak position to go into a violent conflict that would inflict a heavy loss similar to the civil war. Their confidence stems from the fact that they expect us to react violently to which they will unleash their evil plans of terror. They are very prepared with their Prince at the pinnacle of political power.
Re: Why Southern Communites Should Not Concede Their Lands To Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 06, 2016
Peaceful agitation what happened in agatu?
More will be killed
if the affected regions:middle belt and southern nigerian,could only bury their differences for now and forge an alliance
when the subsequent event result in a civil war
i swear the north do not stand a chance
jomonic:

My brother I feel you. But I am not for violence. I meant peaceful agitation. All concerned must unite and bring the attention of the world powers. These people are very determined. Besides we are in a very weak position to go into a violent conflict that would inflict a heavy loss similar to the civil war. Their confidence stems from the fact that they expect us to react violently to which they will unleash their evil plans of terror. They are very prepared with their Prince at the pinnacle of political power.

(1) (Reply)

Femi Fani- Kayode : The Butchers & The Butchered / I’m Not A One Chance President, Change Will Come – Buhari / Baraje Warns APC Leaders, Threatens To Quit Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.