Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,339 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress (2608 Views)

5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / After Over 20 Job Interviews, God Answered My Prayers / Job Interviews Tips For Success (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 8:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
I dislike interviews even though I usually sit at the other side of the table. Oftentimes I am just an observer in the panel; I let the HR guys do their thing. We 've been conducting interviews since monday. Some guys were really impressive and gave the HR a tough time and sometimes displaces their colleagues with foreign degrees. Especially those guys from Unilag, CU and OAU your level of exposure is awesome. However there were other brainy guys who were shown the way out just because the answers they gave were vague, lame and sometimes they had nothing to say.

Immediately you shut the door behind you (In the proper manner) and you walk towards the panel ensure you have your thoughts together. Lock your eyes with that of the panel a little smile makes you appear confident. Walk smartly and swing ur hands gently.(I have seen someone marching instead of walking)

When asked to sit, do it gracefully, sit comfortably (the sit doesn't bite) Be carefully not to get carried away so that you don't start rocking your chair.

To be contd

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by mackhunter77: 9:34pm On Apr 06, 2016
this anticlimax will not be tolerated angry
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 10:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
Interviews often begins with an introduction. After the panel have introduced themselves, you will be asked the very first question....

1. Tell me about Yourself?

This is a very simple question if you have done interesting things in the past. Answer the question in a very simple format. Talk about you(briefly), your Education and extra-curricular activities with achievements then your skills.

For example

My name is marxxx, I was born in Ife, I had my primary and post primary Education in Sokoto. I attended The Federal University of Technology Owerri. I majored in Marine Engineering and I graduated with a first class honours. During my tertiary Education, I was the president of the Faculty's News board, I was the General secretary of the Yoruba students association. I was awarded a full scholarship by nitro energy services and I also won the prestigious Dean's prize for Academic excellence. Naturally I am conscientious person who loves to scrutinise ideas before implementing. I am thorough and often give every detail its maximum required attention. I ensure effective communication at all times while maintaining good interpersonal relationship. I enjoy working with others as a team and love to genuinely bring out the best in them. I love to request for feedbacks when working on a project and I love challenging environments that keeps pushing my limits and ensures I perform at my peak at all times.

This is just a hint so that you can prepare adequately when next you are sitting on the hot seat

To be contd

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by obiaguna(m): 11:40pm On Apr 06, 2016
This is really good. I'ld be looking out for more tips. By the way, is your firm still hiring?
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by jamanuka: 6:02am On Apr 07, 2016
Oga Marxxx your company seems to be always recruiting and is also a top notch firm...

Please how can I submit an application?
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Fkforyou(m): 6:25am On Apr 07, 2016
Following.
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Gingerr(f): 7:52am On Apr 07, 2016
Nice tips. Following

1 Like

Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Amakyzuu: 10:39am On Apr 24, 2016
Marxxx:
Interviews often begins with an introduction. After the panel have introduced themselves, you will be asked the very first question....

1. Tell me about Yourself?

This is a very simple question if you have done interesting things in the past. Answer the question in a very simple format. Talk about you(briefly), your Education and extra-curricular activities with achievements then your skills.

For example

My name is marxxx, I was born in Ife, I had my primary and post primary Education in Sokoto. I attended The Federal University of Technology Owerri. I majored in Marine Engineering and I graduated with a first class honours. During my tertiary Education, I was the president of the Faculty's News board, I was the General secretary of the Yoruba students association. I was awarded a full scholarship by nitro energy services and I also won the prestigious Dean's prize for Academic excellence. Naturally I am conscientious person who loves to scrutinise ideas before implementing. I am thorough and often give every detail its maximum required attention. I ensure effective communication at all times while maintaining good interpersonal relationship. I enjoy working with others as a team and love to genuinely bring out the best in them. I love to request for feedbacks when working on a project and I love challenging environments that keeps pushing my limits and ensures I perform at my peak at all times.

This is just a hint so that you can prepare adequately when next you are sitting on the hot seat

To be contd
Seen... How much should one read about an organisations' profile... Especially ones like who, world bank, unicef etc
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 3:05pm On Apr 24, 2016
jamanuka:
Oga Marxxx your company seems to be always recruiting and is also a top notch firm...

Please how can I submit an application?
Wow I have submitted applications for the people I knew personally but they were not contacted. I had to ask one of the trainees and she said the firm contacted her based on the profile she had on jobberman. I think you should maintain a good profile on jobberman and linkedin. They search these sites and do their thing; So they will contact you if your profile is good for them. I believe so...
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 3:08pm On Apr 24, 2016
Amakyzuu:

Seen... How much should one read about an organisations' profile... Especially ones like who, world bank, unicef etc
I believe an interview is a battle field. Kill or get killed. You won't want to fight an enemy with a bamboo stick when he obviously swings an Ak47....would you? so read up everything and anything...it boosts ur confidence

1 Like

Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by jamanuka: 5:47pm On Apr 24, 2016
Marxxx:
Wow I have submitted applications for the people I knew personally but they were not contacted. I had to ask one of the trainees and she said the firm contacted her based on the profile she had on jobberman. I think you should maintain a good profile on jobberman and linkedin. They search these sites and do their thing; So they will contact you if your profile is good for them. I believe so...
Just curious, was this the practice when you got recruited? ...and what's the name of your firm( will help me tailor my profile to what they might be looking for)

Hope am not asking too much
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by ftai: 6:15pm On Apr 24, 2016
Good day my Maxx.
Please sir i just completed my NYSC program and i need serious advice and update from you ( career wise ).
My email is
fatai2ibrahim@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Gerrard59(m): 6:26pm On Apr 24, 2016
Following like Twitter grin

Not surprised about the OAU, CU(including UI) and Unilag grads being so exposed; propinquity to Lagos is a key advantage. I hope students in the East of the Niger take up the gauntlet and compete favourably. On that aspect, I will say I'm on track. Thanks to my upbringing, Nairaland and Jarushub grin
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Chuksemi(m): 9:54am On Apr 25, 2016
Incredible.
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by vinmayo(m): 6:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
Gerrard59:
Following like Twitter grin

Not surprised about the OAU, CU(including UI) and Unilag grads being so exposed; propinquity to Lagos is a key advantage. I hope students in the East of the Niger take up the gauntlet and compete favourably. On that aspect, I will say I'm on track. Thanks to my upbringing, Nairaland and Jarushub grin

I know you will! grin
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Eve62(f): 10:57pm On Apr 26, 2016
Op pls kontunu.
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 10:57pm On May 15, 2016
Eve62:
Op pls kontunu.
kontunu ryt? Lol
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Herapal(m): 11:56pm On May 15, 2016
Marxxx baba. I humbly await more. I've opened another tab to sign up on jobberman.

LinkedIn consumes too much data. But I'll go and update my profile right away!
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by babs01(m): 3:10am On May 16, 2016
Marxxx my mind is telling me that u ar the one to do it, help your brother from another mother I'm tired@ home. babsak01@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 1:15am On May 26, 2016
Contd

It is not the "Tell me about yourself" question that sends you home because, definitely there will always be a generic response to "Tell me about your self" unless the candidate is simply special or exceptional and such candidates are quite few.

IT is what comes after "Tell me about yourself" that sends you home...so you have to be smart and watch how you respond to the next question....This question may reveal to you the background of your interviewer, his strengths and weaknesses. It is then left for you to take full advantage and know what to avoid, what to say, and how to say what to say

"I was an observer in an interview where a candidate was asked how do you explain biochemistry to a layman"

This was the second question. From this question you can deduce two basic points

1. The interviewer is not a biochemistry major

2. The interviewer does not have a concrete knowledge about biological or natural science

What will matter most to the interviewer is ur use of English, how you arrange your thoughts and how convincing you portray yourself. Even when you say something "wrong" and is not too obvious don't bother correcting yourself (you may make more mistakes while doing that) just show confidence and convince him you know what you are talking about. Use good vocabulary too. (seriously during my interview the interviewer asked for the meaning of several words, although I had a heavy local accent back then) it makes you look knowledgeable.

If the question is technical based like "why do water have low boiling points"

You can easily deduce that your interviewer has a good knowledge about science. All you have to do is ensure you make use of the appropriate technical terms. Quickly correct yourself if you mistakenly slip and then try to remain focused...

Now You need to learn how to control the Pace of your interview.

You Also need to learn how to set Baits for the interviewer thereby keeping them at a corner where you want them to be and also asking the questions you want them to ask...

To be contd

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Abdul4trust1(m): 6:59am On May 26, 2016
Good One
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by SSpeter(m): 2:48pm On May 27, 2016
Nice one bro...I am waiting for more
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 27, 2016
Gingerr:
Nice tips. Following

Gingerr? I am Garlic!!!...u knw naaa
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by itzlabode(m): 11:08am On May 28, 2016
we are apparently waiting for another one month to get the remaining gist, we know you busy our dear Mr marxx. but these graduate needs these tips.
was able to blast the previous interview I had, thanks to your educative post, it worked like magic. the last interview is days ahead. wonder why you don't acknowledge pm tho, its a good thing to be a mentor you know .
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by Marxxx: 11:47am On Jun 21, 2016
itzlabode:
we are apparently waiting for another one month to get the remaining gist, we know you busy our dear Mr marxx. but these graduate needs this tips.
was able to blast the previous interview I had, thanks to your educative post, it worked like magic. the last interview is days ahead. wonder why you don't acknowledge pm tho, its a good thing to be a mentor you know .
Wow I trust you aced the latter stages of the interview? I am not in a good shape medically...I will complete the write up soon....davide470 is a good guy and can mentor you....besides there are other great guys in one of my topics....good to know my post really helped...thanks
Re: How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress by captainhoo: 8:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
following

(1) (Reply)

If You Cant Login To Your NPOWER To Update...try This... / BBC Recruiting Nigerians 2017 / Wanted: Candidates For Various Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.