Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,168 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Physics With Seun - Understanding Scientific Theories | The Big Bang Theory - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Physics With Seun - Understanding Scientific Theories | The Big Bang Theory (1240 Views)

Top 10 Revolutionary Scientific Theories / Physics With Seun Lanlege - Understanding Scientific Theories + Logic Game / Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Physics With Seun - Understanding Scientific Theories | The Big Bang Theory by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 01, 2016
There are a lot of misconceptions about the big bang theory, allow me to list them

- It is a baseless assumption made by scientists to disprove the existence of a supreme being.
- It says matter exploded out of nothing
- "baba why you lying?"
- "I'm no longer an 8 year old, you cannot come and be bobo-ing me na"

It's misguided to think that you're "Intelligent" because you consider the big bang theory as false. Because in reality, it's quite the opposite.

[size=14pt]It is a baseless assumption made by scientists to disprove the existence of a supreme being.[/size]

"I think it's pretty obvious that astrophysicists are trying to deceive us"

No they're not, science doesn't care about religion. Science cares about reality. And reality may not always be the way you want it to be.
Think about it this way,Science operates based on logic and evidence. And all scientific theories aren't "assumptions" they're inferences from experimental data. refer to my previous post to understand more about scientific theories and how they come about.

[size=14pt]It says matter exploded out of nothing[/size]

"That's what i heard."

Well you heard wrong. First off, the universe didn't "explode" - in the beginning was a singularity. (A point in space where an finite amount of matter is compressed to a infinite density. And yes black holes have singularities in them. Astrophysicists are obsessed with black holes because understanding them is understanding how the universe began) and this singularity was infinitely dense and extremely hot. So hot that the universe still radiates heat energy from the big bang.

"How did the singularity get there?"

Quantum field fluctuations

"oh i remember those."

It is estimated that 99.98% of all matter in the universe today was created at the big bang, the remaining .01% is created daily by quantum field fluctuations. So now that we've established the singularity part. Lets talk about the expansion part. It's an established fact that the universe is expanding rapidly. Based on observations by Edwin Hubble on the gravitational red-shifting of light coming from receding stars.

"Please explain, i don't understand gravitational red-shifting"

It's very simple to understand really. Wavelength is a fundamental property of light and different wavelengths of light have different properties including color. Therefore let's have this thought experiment. Imagine you're stationary and you're one end of a spring with someone who is also stationary. The distance between two successive crests = 1cm, if you start walking away from the person while holding the spring, obviously the distance between two successive crests will increase.

[url][/url]

Same thing goes for light which is kinda like the spring, when a star emits a photon, it has a shorter wavelength(blue), but when it travels through expanding space we would detect a longer wavelength(red). The hubble telescope was used to observe distant galaxies and the light coming from them as predicted by the big bang all had the light coming from them red-shifted.

Now if you reverse the expanding process and contract space, all the matter that makes up the universe would existed in one single point in space known as the "singularity". Now at the big bang, there was no explosion or light for that matter. It was simply expansion and rapid cooling. Now the universe at the big bang was so hot that the ionization energy of the universe exceeded that of light. So if you could observe the big bang happen at a distance, you wouldn't really "see" anything. All you'd see is darkness.

[size=14pt]The Evidence For The Big Bang [/size]

The big bang is the most important theory in all of astrophysics. Countless millions of dollars have been spent by scientists all over the world to explore the implications of the big bang and the true nature of our universe.But of course so much money and effort would not be invested in something that was merely fantasy. The LHC (Large Hadron Collider), CERN and LIGO are all observatories and particle accelerators built by scientists to test the authenticity of the big bang theory.

But one of the most outstanding proofs for the big bang theory remains the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation

Remember i said the universe at the big bang was very hot? Here's a fun fact. Did you know that bodies that are above absolute zero temperature emit some form of Electro-Magnetic Radiation or the Other dependent on the temperature? Remember Those 'contact-less' thermometers that were sent to nigeria to combat ebola? As described by wien's Displacement principle the relative temperature of a body can be calculated by observing the wavelength of radiation emitted. Therefore when those sensors where pointed at you - it measured the wavelength of the radiation you were emitting and calculated your relative temperature.

Now if the universe was very hot as described by the big bang then we should still find some leftover radiation, to prove that the big bang happened and there indeed was an inflation of space.

BEHOLD I GIVE YOU THE COSMIC MICROWAVE BACKGROUND RADIATION

[img] https://jenszornsculpture.files./2014/10/5-redshift-cartoon.jpg[/img]
If you quite understand it yet, i'll explain further. We've established that hot things or generally things above absolute zero emit electromagnetic radiation and the hotter the temperature the shorter the wavelength. Which means that the universe must've been emitting COSMIC RADIATION at the big bang since it was very hot. But the problem is we don't want to contradict ourselves and start searching for cosmic radiation in space since we've also established that space is expanding. Which means the cosmic radiation emitted by the universe at the big bang would've been stretched out into longer wavelengths such as microwave or radio wave.

So if we should send sensors out into space that basically detects longer wavelengths of the Electromagnetic Spectrum We should get a "picture" of a single color pervading the entire universe - The color of microwave radiation. But then again, we've already done that. in 1965 Penzias Discovered an omnidirectional signal in the microwave band, denoting leftover thermal energy from a state when the universe was extremely hot.

[img]http://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIKNy-475HW7MPIAM43BvxY-I-YATTy1xC4wfKQv3u94U-gsxx[/img]

Nowadays I don't ask people if they agree with the big bang theory. I just ask if they understand it.

This was another episode of physics with seun.

This writing is copyrighted.

1 Like

Re: Physics With Seun - Understanding Scientific Theories | The Big Bang Theory by Caseless: 7:37pm On May 01, 2016
I have interest in this.

2 Likes

Re: Physics With Seun - Understanding Scientific Theories | The Big Bang Theory by patrickmuf(m): 8:04pm On May 01, 2016
Interesting read

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ultimate Beginner’s Guide To Binance Exchange: Buy/sell Cryptocurrency In 2018 / B / Black Man Invents Machine That Creates Clean Water From The Atmosphere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.