Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble (13975 Views)

CBN Forex Reforms Cripple BDC Operations / Inflation Continues To Cool In June / Guinness Nigeria Gets Diageo Loan To Help With Currency Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by blackprowler: 9:42am On Apr 07, 2016
BiafranNigerian:

The present value of the naira held by banks (199) is false. The real value is in the parallel markets. What they are saying is, allow the currency value to be determined by the laws of f demand and supply, yes. And allow businessmen to handle importation of petrol and sell at their determined price without subsidy, so that government can focus on governance until you build refineries and sell via NNPC at price of your choosing. Stop confusing yourself.

100%. GOD bless you. 100%
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by tete7000(m): 9:42am On Apr 07, 2016
Amiano:
Dis is wat happens wen ur president has F9 in Economics

He had another F9 in maths too based on the result forged and released for him prior to the election. How do they expect a man they adjudged to not worth more than an F9 in mathematics to understand and interpret economic indices. This Nigeria is really a joke. To imagine some professor of mathematics voted for him makes the whole thing more hilarious. What a group of unserious people we are. We don't even value education to the point we voted almost a stiff-necked illiterate as president. O ga o!

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by desmond2pk: 9:44am On Apr 07, 2016
Victoria island, the business hubnub of Nigeria is now as dry as Sahara desert. Most business have closed because no customers.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Saintp(m): 9:46am On Apr 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
From the article....it is obvious that they want us to devalue....so that forex can flow.

Buharinomics is a bad choice. The problem is...the alternatives are far worse. If we devalue now...we would end up with runaway inflation, severely depreciated naira and suddenly we would be taking high amount of loans to balance the books.

What needs to be done next is simple. We must, as I have said here time after time...become a manufacturing power. I want to see this APC government spend more on generation, and work with the DISCOS and GENCOS to repair our outdated transmission system. I want to see more spending on technical education.I want to see an end to fuel subsidy....because we are just wasting money that could be used for better things, and we do not even have the money to subsidize fuel anyways. We should improve agriculture....by encouraging large scale farming. We should encourage our local industries to stop importing raw materials if they can be sourced in Nigeria. And we must fight corruption....no compromise.

That is what APC must do to leave a glorious legacy.

Modified: Re loans....if we have to take loans...why not in the form of infrastructure?

Eg...Germany gives us a ''loan''to build a power station that runs on refuse...by building the power plant and providing training and logistics.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Saintp(m): 9:46am On Apr 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
From the article....it is obvious that they want us to devalue....so that forex can flow.

Buharinomics is a bad choice. The problem is...the alternatives are far worse. If we devalue now...we would end up with runaway inflation, severely depreciated naira and suddenly we would be taking high amount of loans to balance the books.

What needs to be done next is simple. We must, as I have said here time after time...become a manufacturing power. I want to see this APC government spend more on generation, and work with the DISCOS and GENCOS to repair our outdated transmission system. I want to see more spending on technical education.I want to see an end to fuel subsidy....because we are just wasting money that could be used for better things, and we do not even have the money to subsidize fuel anyways. We should improve agriculture....by encouraging large scale farming. We should encourage our local industries to stop importing raw materials if they can be sourced in Nigeria. And we must fight corruption....no compromise.

That is what APC must do to leave a glorious legacy.

Modified: Re loans....if we have to take loans...why not in the form of infrastructure?

Eg...Germany gives us a ''loan''to build a power station that runs on refuse...by building the power plant and providing training and logistics.

The problem i have with this country is that we don't have a national plan. Since GEJ was accidental president, one would have expected that PMB having contested 4 times would have a clear cut plan for this country. I don't expect things to become rossy even in 4 years but we should see a clear direction of things with timelines which we are not seeing now.

Things are getting from bad to worse. Up till now, no one knows the exact cause of this prolonged fuel scarcity. As for forex, it's just about 2 bad choices with negative consequences, i don't think I'll blame him on that.

Other sectors are fast going down and he seems not to understand the gravity of issues otherwise he would have been adressing the people on the state of the nation frequently at least to give hope and confidence to the people.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by teemy(m): 9:47am On Apr 07, 2016
they pulled their monies out with the hope that with propaganda they could force the government to increase dollar rate and they would bring back their cash then. it is all business as they are investors looking for where next to build their revenues
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Bnladan(m): 9:50am On Apr 07, 2016
NO REGRETS NO SURRENDER.
Even as I buy a litre of petroleum at N180 or more, I will
continue to endure.
Even as power generation drops, I will continue to believe that
things will get better.
Even as the exchange rate remains high, I will continue to
have faith in God believing that one day it shall be better.
Even as salary is not paid as at when due, I shall continue to
believe that this condition is not forever.
Even as the prices of food items and other commodities have
gone high, I will continue to have faith and confidence that
one day it shall become history.
I campaigned for CHANGE.
I voted for CHANGE.
I believe in CHANGE.
I so much believe that one day I will be counting the much
benefits of CHANGE.
# Istandfirmlywithbuhari #

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by eph12(m): 9:52am On Apr 07, 2016
enlightenedmind:
Let's be clear. FX is not crippling Nigeria it is crippling d dollar. Fuel has never been sold at the right price in did country bcoz PDP looters collect bribes from Western countries to use us milking cows. Don't know about light by I happy for the FX and Fuel. We must refine our own feul even if we have suffer we must refine it then sell.
Let's also be clear that one does not place the cart before the ox. Let's also be clear that the amount of revenue Nigeria generates is enough to get things done to an extent that citizens don't have to pass through fire to earn peanuts. The revenue we are currently generating plus the looted funds that has been recovered can be used to repair and maintain our refineries up to the needed standard. If government is complaining of sabotages technology (cameras and heat sensors) and armed forces should be used to guard our installations. It's not rocket science. Bill of almost 100k is brought for electricity that we get for less than total of 20hrs in a month and you say we should suffer and smile? You don't know what you're saying oga.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by tete7000(m): 9:55am On Apr 07, 2016
stonemasonn:
the problem of Nigeria is beyond a pass in economics. Even you that passed I bet you're clueless about the solution to the current economic crisis.

If Nigeria problem is beyond pass in economics and those who excelled in economics couldn't fix it, don't you now think it is going to be overwhelming for someone without certificate? Where the strong and powerful struggle to survive, should a lazy and indolent dare tread?

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by paschu: 10:04am On Apr 07, 2016
coolbis:
nigerians have very short memory, we all have forgotten that this crisis started first quarter of 2015 where NOI stated categorically that we needed to tighten our belt cos nigeria is not making as much as it made the last 4 years. As a matter of fact in one of the interviews granted to the newsmen,NOI admitted that the government had to borrow to pay January and February salary. It was within this period that the govt of PDP could not pay the subsidy owed the fuel marketer, thereby leaving behind long fuel queues and backlog of fuel subsidy running into hundreds of billions of naira. This present govt on assumption of office had to battle with all these mess and was able to bring sanity after paying the backlog.
If the problem the foreign investors have is devaluation of our currency, then they should look for other investment destinations, devaluation of our currency in the past has done us no good, so I stand by Mr president on this.

You are really very funny.

Your assertion is that the last administration could not pay Jan. and Feb. salaries and oil subsidies in 2015 because the govt. was broke, right? So answer these:

Since the 2016 budget is still unavailable, and oil price went even lower:

1. Where did PMB get the money to pay off the backlog of oil subsidies?

2. Where did PMB get the money to pay fedral salaries all through 2015?

3. Where did PMB get money to bail out the so many broke states around the nation?

4. Where did PMB get money to continue the fight against BH?

5. Where did PMB get the money that keeps his govt. and its massive propaganda running?

6: Where did PMB get the money to fund all his massive presidential travels?

There is only one logical answer to all the above, in 4 steps:

Step 1. Peg the forex at a ridiclously artificial low price and call it the official window.

Step 2. Create forex scarcity with your policies, and refuse most people access to forex at the official window.

Step 3: Make sure parallel market sells at a high price, then tell them to go source their own forex.

Step 4. Create a close knitt racket through wich you round trip the forex and rob innocent nigerians of their hard-earned money making nearly 100% profit out of thin air without work or noise.

Bam you have more than enough fund to keep your lopsided govt. and its cronies going while the rest of the populace moan and languish in pains.

This very scenario is the root of all the SUDDEN HIKE in economic woes we now have. It has absolutely little or nothing to do with the price of crude or past administration.

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Positiveminds(m): 10:11am On Apr 07, 2016
enlightenedmind:
Let's be clear. FX is not crippling Nigeria it is crippling d dollar. Fuel has never been sold at the right price in did country bcoz PDP looters collect bribes from Western countries to use us milking cows. Don't know about light by I happy for the FX and Fuel. We must refine our own feul even if we have suffer we must refine it then sell.

Your level of economic illiteracy is beyond cure. Before you make a comment next time read all relevant books, do not forget to ask God to give you some sense.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 07, 2016
Amya:
What an adult sees sitting down, a kid can't see standing up.
Sorry can i buy your crystal ball? You have the foresight.

I'm following you now
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Topestbilly(m): 10:22am On Apr 07, 2016
holicalpha:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THIS LADY HOW FOOLISH SHE IS.

D likers ar more foolish Dan she is...
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by MrEverest(m): 10:27am On Apr 07, 2016
Buhari is the worst thing to happen to Nigeria since amalgamation. Inasmuch as I feel terribly bad about what is happening in this enclave, I still console myself that we tried to avert this man-made disaster, we warned the zoombies & cried ourselves hoarse about the impending calamity but they said that even if Buhari is retar.ded & has only Nepa bill certificate that they will vote for him!! Today, the chicken has come home to roost, by the time the dull one completes 4 years in office, Nigerians will be all over sub-saharan Africa as economic refugees!!

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 07, 2016
BiafranNigerian:

The present value of the naira held by banks (199) is false. The real value is in the parallel markets. What they are saying is, allow the currency value to be determined by the laws of f demand and supply, yes. And allow businessmen to handle importation of petrol and sell at their determined price without subsidy, so that government can focus on governance until you build refineries and sell via NNPC at price of your choosing. Stop confusing yourself.

Experience has taught us that if you devalue the naira at the official rate...it gets worse at the parallel rate.

Also...the main issue is that we do not have enough forex....and your solution does not address the forex shortage in the country.

Plus...devaluing the naira means you pay more in naira for imported goods and for local goods made with imported raw materials...leading to inflation.

Like i said once earlier...what the Govt is doing is conserving forex...which is what happens in any country who has a drop in the price of oil or any other resource that it is dependent on. So that you do not enter disaster too fast.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Reference(m): 10:34am On Apr 07, 2016
No comment.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Reference(m): 10:40am On Apr 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Experience has taught us that if you devalue the naira at the official rate...it gets worse at the parallel rate.

Also...the main issue is that we do not have enough forex....and your solution does not address the forex shortage in the country.

Plus...devaluing the naira means you pay more in naira for imported goods and for local goods made with imported raw materials...leading to inflation.

Like i said once earlier...what the Govt is doing is conserving forex...which is what happens in any country who has a drop in the price of oil or any other resource that it is dependent on. So that you do not enter disaster too fast.

Oga.

There are two sources of foreign exchange. Exports and investments. When you are down in one IT IS WISE to stimulate the other by creating the environment to attract it. Nigeria is unattractive in certain aspects of the economy now (commodities related) but is attractive in others (asset related) - our assets are cheap. But if you WILL NOT ALLOW FOREX TO GO OUT, YOU WILL NOT GET FOREX TO WILLINGLY COME IN. By your theory when times are hard you save more. By my theory when times are hard you work harder, you invest more. Sorry for this country. Nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by steph2sweet(f): 10:53am On Apr 07, 2016
banme1:
May buhari RIP.
This actually got me laughing. Did I really say amen to that, maybe.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 07, 2016
bluaero:
Meanwhile the useless dull@rd is travelling to china next week. LMAO what a presidiot!!!

#iflywithbuhari

Its high time we started importing chinese fuel , its cheaper than the ones in the west, although it kills ur engine faster.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by Chukazu: 10:55am On Apr 07, 2016
enlightenedmind:

why don't you know about light?
you can as well exonerate buhari of every blame

when things aren't working, the first solution is to stop giving excuses.

I didn't just vote buhari, but I campaigned for him vigorously on this platform.
am not saying he has failed but clearly he is not doing well.
thank God, atleast he has got 3years plus to prove himself.

1 Like

Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by enlightenedmind: 11:18am On Apr 07, 2016
Positiveminds:

Your level of economic illiteracy is beyond cure. Before you make a comment next time read all relevant books, do not forget to ask God to give you some sense.

No it is not my dear. I am quite sure of my economics. The FX is crippling the dollar because the point of devaluing the currency is to make the imported good and services affordable to Nigerians. But since we are no longer importing, that move is redundant to us. All it will do is make the dollar stronger. If you are one of those pple that get extra cash through forex. Well sorry. Look for another route.
Nigerians are lazy people. Now that the usual corner corner of rubbish has been wiped out every body is crying foul. We must do things the right way in country. I do not want to have to aspire to join a club of looters to live comfortably. If i work appropriately I should have what i deserve.
That fuel we must refine it. No more importation of fuel. That is unheard of. Have you ever heard Russia, Saudi, Venezuela importing fuel? Only Nigerians and all of you agree to live in this stupidity. It seems to me like all the intelligent people in this country died. Well, we have no quality education so all we can think about is "No Fuel", "No Light". You would rather be comfortable in the short run than establish a working system that is beneficial in the long run. PDP mentality. I do not know what Buhari is doing but for the FX and the fuel. Thumbs up. For once we have a president with a brain.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by enlightenedmind: 11:20am On Apr 07, 2016
eph12:

Let's also be clear that one does not place the cart before the ox. Let's also be clear that the amount of revenue Nigeria generates is enough to get things done to an extent that citizens don't have to pass through fire to earn peanuts. The revenue we are currently generating plus the looted funds that has been recovered can be used to repair and maintain our refineries up to the needed standard. If government is complaining of sabotages technology (cameras and heat sensors) and armed forces should be used to guard our installations. It's not rocket science. Bill of almost 100k is brought for electricity that we get for less than total of 20hrs in a month and you say we should suffer and smile? You don't know what you're saying oga.

Revenue from where now? And even when you get this money where will you refine the oil? NIGERIA HAS SO MANY PROBLEMS AND TRUST ME LIGHT AND FUEL IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by enlightenedmind: 11:23am On Apr 07, 2016
coolbis:
nigerians have very short memory, we all have forgotten that this crisis started first quarter of 2015 where NOI stated categorically that we needed to tighten our belt cos nigeria is not making as much as it made the last 4 years. As a matter of fact in one of the interviews granted to the newsmen,NOI admitted that the government had to borrow to pay January and February salary. It was within this period that the govt of PDP could not pay the subsidy owed the fuel marketer, thereby leaving behind long fuel queues and backlog of fuel subsidy running into hundreds of billions of naira. This present govt on assumption of office had to battle with all these mess and was able to bring sanity after paying the backlog.
If the problem the foreign investors have is devaluation of our currency, then they should look for other investment destinations, devaluation of our currency in the past has done us no good, so I stand by Mr president on this.

Me too. I do not know about the light. But the fuel and FX, I am behind him. If the so called foreign investors are not ready to actually "Invest" and are only interested in using Nigeria as a source of cheap labour and money supply market then they should pack their things and go.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by enlightenedmind: 11:26am On Apr 07, 2016
neocortex:

I doubt if you understood what you posted.

Isn't it ironic that the same western country
is where Buhari is going to beg for loans.

The fuel we are currently using please is it being refined in Nigeria ?

What are you even saying? God there is really no intelligent person in this country again. My dear. Buhari did not go to beg for loans, he asked for direct loans not through IMF to cut off the IMF routes that leave African countries destitute. He said he was not collecting IMF funds. And he has to find a way to get that money. Now the looted funds is what i am interested in. Nigerians are so lazy. You think your problem is light OR FUEL.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by enlightenedmind: 11:28am On Apr 07, 2016
PasNet:

Good response..... but I need to question your administrative sense........ What happens to the "one-step-at-a-time" principle that negates "putting all your eggs in a basket"?

It is only not professional, it is also a wicked act for an administrator to want to restructure the administrations key component all at a single time, there are technical process to approach things. I can never shut down business operation of my clients all in the name of carrying out a maintenance or a troubleshoot, they will loss money and I won't get paid. If I will have to do that in worst case scenario, it means the client is spending money and not making money. Same thing applies to running a country, infact serious caution must come to play.

There is nothing like one step at a time. Rip the bandage off. Else we keep looking for comfort and living in mediocrity. We must not import fuel. If it means we will start treking to work, so be it. We must refine the fuel ourselves.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by josefeneche: 11:36am On Apr 07, 2016
The government has to take some decisions promptly
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by PEROSKY12: 11:37am On Apr 07, 2016
Aside witch hunting Buhari has no idea on how to govern the country, the economy getting worse day by day. Even the people who foolishly voted him in are complaining like never before. Ngozi Okonjo-iwala cordinated the economy very well during the previous regime but it's unfortunate that their is nobody to fill in the gap left by Ngozi. The minister of petroleum should resign
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by martinsoche: 11:43am On Apr 07, 2016
this is getting too much for Nigerians embarassed lipsrsealed the government need to do some thing very fast because the situation at hand now is what we Nigerians are yet to experience for a long time, fela said this what is happening now and is still happening cool shocked embarassed lipsrsealed undecided or is this govt confuse because nothing is been done to solve the solution
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by EffiongPBassey(f): 11:50am On Apr 07, 2016
It is crystal clear that Nigerians can no longer tolerate the perfidy of APC,PMB administration over power , forex and most especially the fuel scarcity today in our society.....instead of working hard to move the nations activities forward, Rather they put blames on past administration which has done nothing wrong to the present situation......If mr president is not capable of running the Present Nigerian Government, he should resign for good and because all campaign promises made is turning out to be a political fraud on the life of Nigerian citizens.
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by josefeneche: 11:51am On Apr 07, 2016
We are all seeing/feeling the effects of the present state of the nation & it's absolutely nothing to write home about. There's not even a sign that the economic situation in the country is set to be on the right path by this administration. All PMB has been doing since he came in as President of Nigeria is send these security agencies to go after anyone & everyone & of course, embark on numerous trips around the globe, instead of him to find ways to get rid of these vices. It's just terrible!
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by sophiaduru: 11:52am On Apr 07, 2016
d degradation in the ingredients that make our economy has chased out most companies out of Nigeria...while some are on a low profile due to d high cost of production resulting in low profit margin ........is this d change Nigeirians voted for....
Re: Power, FX, Fuel Shortages Cripple Nigeria As Buharimonics Continues To Fumble by winstonjenn012: 11:53am On Apr 07, 2016
The major problem with buharimonics is that it has no road map. The govt isnt sure of what steps to take and its slowly killing the economy, they need to take responsibility and find a way to make things work. we are the biggest economy in africa and yet we cant provide the basic things that are needed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Opportunities In Mechanized Sheabutter Extraction & Refinery / Tips On Starting A Small Scale Supermarket / CBN Increases The Capital Base Of Microfinance Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.