Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? (49351 Views)

Best 20W50 Engine Oil / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Namzy(m): 12:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
Now from the images if car manufacturers had recommend 20w50, then they might have condemned people living in cold climates sometimes have below 0 degress so the best thing will be to recommend an engine oil for all weather. I personally saw a video of 20w50 behavior in winter and it was almost like grease
Now imagine starting your car with that in winter...... Mayhem. Here's the video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AmtSh4HMryw
And another video with explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiQyR7PWII
Also if we must stick to manufactures recommend oil why do some people don't see wrong in people using lower viscosity oil have seen some recommending 0w20 or 0w30?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Denc: 3:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
autotrader2:

You should use a 5w20. That's the equivalent substitute for 0w20 if you can't find it.

Supported.

5W-40 is usually full synthetic. If its Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 u used (cost #8,500 for 5 litres but now #11,000 this year), its API category SN/SM which applies for 2011 and older engines (backwards compatible). However, be careful with rapid swapping of oil grades...I have seen an engine damaged (crankshaft, main bearing, piston) within weeks of switching to the said 5W-40 (so high cost of oil does not exactly grant safety from engine damage). Don't panic; if you already using the 5W-40 and have not noticed any issues or changes in performance...just be consistent with it...don't keep changing the specs.

General rule: stick with manufacturers specs (especially for newer cars with low mileage i.e. less than say 100,000 miles)
Where the specs are not available, get something close enough. (You may not need to order from abroad) Just take time to research the various brands available locally. Go to major filling stations with well stocked lube shop.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by lourash(m): 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Denc:

Supported.

5W-40 is usually full synthetic. If its Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 u used (cost #8,500 for 5 litres but now #11,000 this year), its API category SN/SM which applies for 2011 and older engines (backwards compatible). However, be careful with rapid swapping of oil grades...I have seen an engine damaged (crankshaft, main bearing, piston) within weeks of switching to the said 5W-40 (so high cost of oil does not exactly grant safety from engine damage). Don't panic; if you already using the 5W-40 and have not noticed any issues or changes in performance...just be consistent with it...don't keep changing the specs.

General rule: stick with manufacturers specs (especially for newer cars with low mileage i.e. less than say 100,000 miles)
Where the specs are not available, get something close enough. (You may not need to order from abroad) Just take time to research the various brands available locally. Go to major filling stations with well stocked lube shop.

Thanks bro

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by sooperrescue(m): 3:58am On Jul 13, 2016
Denc:

Supported.
Total q9000 is sm,cf and not snand so it is a no go oil for any vehicle that recommends sn. A would be client with a range rover uses q9000 because he works with Total. The range was full of sludge but he refused to change the oil for a modern oil so I let him go. There's this issue currently raging in the country, is there any oil produced locally that work well with high compression engines? I am trying to get together Total, Forte, Mobil and Oando lubricant managers to come on air and lets discuss the quality of their oils and why are Nigerians turning their back to their oils and looking south for good oils to the extent of preferring Turkish oils to our locally produced oils. Total and Pandora are hiding behind rules that I should write to their management before they can come on air. I was going through the website for Castrol oil and looking for their Nigerian dealer and there was none except for South Africa and yet Eterna oil claimed to be the sole licensee to Castrol oil in Nigeria.Can they be trusted? I started using Mobil 1 USA to service range rovers because the castrol magnatec 5w30a1 recommended by castrol is not available in the country. The ones sold by Eterna oil is the same specification with Forte, Honeywell and Oando and yet they cannot hold down the temperature of high compression engines. Oil coolant failure is now on the increase, where oil and water mixes because the oil coolant failed. My outfit ,Autowatch on radio is now on air this July every Tuesdays and Thursdays and we will be on 103.5 fm where we intend to invite the stakeholders to chart the way forward. The Corp Marshall for Frsc, the DG, Cpc, are also waiting to come on air and redefine the Nigerian spec in every thing that concerns automobiles. Last advice, if your car requires 5w30, don't buy any oil because it has the badge, get quality oils. My clients are now buying engines from the USA because even the locally sold engines are not guaranteed and the major reason for overheating in engines is oil, low quality oils with higher badges.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by sultaan(m): 11:19pm On Jul 13, 2016
sooperrescue:

Total q9000 is sm,cf and not snand so it is a no go oil for any vehicle that recommends sn. A would be client with a range rover uses q9000 because he works with Total. The range was full of sludge but he refused to change the oil for a modern oil so I let him go. There's this issue currently raging in the country, is there any oil produced locally that work well with high compression engines? I am trying to get together Total, Forte, Mobil and Oando lubricant managers to come on air and lets discuss the quality of their oils and why are Nigerians turning their back to their oils and looking south for good oils to the extent of preferring Turkish oils to our locally produced oils. Total and Pandora are hiding behind rules that I should write to their management before they can come on air. I was going through the website for Castrol oil and looking for their Nigerian dealer and there was none except for South Africa and yet Eterna oil claimed to be the sole licensee to Castrol oil in Nigeria.Can they be trusted? I started using Mobil 1 USA to service range rovers because the castrol magnatec 5w30a1 recommended by castrol is not available in the country. The ones sold by Eterna oil is the same specification with Forte, Honeywell and Oando and yet they cannot hold down the temperature of high compression engines. Oil coolant failure is now on the increase, where oil and water mixes because the oil coolant failed. My outfit ,Autowatch on radio is now on air this July every Tuesdays and Thursdays and we will be on 103.5 fm where we intend to invite the stakeholders to chart the way forward. The Corp Marshall for Frsc, the DG, Cpc, are also waiting to come on air and redefine the Nigerian spec in every thing that concerns automobiles. Last advice, if your car requires 5w30, don't buy any oil because it has the badge, get quality oils. My clients are now buying engines from the USA because even the locally sold engines are not guaranteed and the major reason for overheating in engines is oil, low quality oils with higher badges.

You just opened the can of worms I have been trying to ignore all these years.

Who is certifying the oil grades made in Nigeria what types of detergents and polymers do they have in there which manufacturers spec do they meet?

If I send a sample of these oils to Blackstone lab will the result show all they are selling is the SAE oils or worse

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by sooperrescue(m): 11:34pm On Jul 13, 2016
I will invite you to the program for the four editions of meeting with the lubricant managers. My number is 08098534267
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Jeff777: 2:44am On Aug 11, 2016
There are several types of motor engine oils (Mineral oils & Synthetic oils) in the market. Most of these engine oils do not have good anti-wear, extreme pressure additives and also lack additive for good thermal stability; that protects oil thickness (viscosity) from being reduced as the temperature of the engine increases, which causes engine wear. However, the best engine oil in the market now is Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oils. The available oil grades are 5W20 HPS, 5W30 HPS, 5W30 HMX, 10W30 HMX and 10W40 HPS. Also, Royal Purple do produce 20W50 HPS. Due to the high quality of this product, the oil change interval is 12,000 miles (20,000 km). The HPS grades are good for low and high mileage vehicles (both diesel and petrol engines except 5W20 which for only petrol engines) The HMX grades are specifically produced for only petrol engines with high mileage above 75,000 miles (120,000 km) above. However, as your car is getting older, you may need to change the oil grade to higher grade.
For other questions or concerns please respond via this medium.

Immediate changes that will happen to your car:
1) Lower Temperature (means engine is cooler than before)
2) Reduction in engine sound (means engine works quieter - less friction)
3) Car moves faster (means reduction in wear and less friction)
4) Less fuel consumption (means engine not working forcefully)

Please try to use this product. A trial will convince you! Contact us via 07035407519.
Please watch this 9 mins video demonstration via this link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEFGJqpCMY
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by autotrader2: 11:30am On Aug 26, 2016
sooperrescue:

Best analysis i have seen in a long while. Some people think any 5w30 rating slapped across any oil container implies quality. Most times you just need to ask yourself why that no name brand is that cheap. Instinctively, you will know within you that you should be buying the high grade oil, which would be appropriately priced.

Thanks for this write up

3 Likes

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by cardoctor(m): 12:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
I will only agree to manufacturers recommendations when the engine is new or the vehicle is below 100k miles. Older engines or higher mileage vehicles tend to have suffered the wear and tear syndrome.

It's a compromise. Ideally, you want an oil that has constant viscosity so that it always provides the same lubrication regardless of temperature. Unfortunately, the viscosity of oil does vary with temperature.

Multi-grade oils are modified with additives to make their viscosity less temperature dependent. This is important when the engine starts at low temperatures. If the oil is too viscous, it takes too long to circulate properly in the engine which allows metal-on-metal contact between moving parts. Also, the oil can be so "sticky" that it puts a far greater load on the battery and starter motor.

However, if the oil is insufficiently viscous, it won't lubricate as well at normal temperatures, and it could be quite inadequate during high power output, particularly on the cylinder walls which can get very hot.

The third factor is power consumption. More viscous oils may lubricate better, but they also create drag between the surfaces, and a certain amount of power is consumed in overcoming the drag. With fuel prices constantly on the increase, the trend is to reduce the viscosity to improve fuel consumption.

If you need to consider changing your oil grade, simply make sure that its a good quality synthetic oil.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by ModestSam(m): 11:15pm On Aug 26, 2016
The Mobil 1 I use is 0W40.
My car is a 2005 RAV4 with over 100k miles on it, and I have used it for over 3 years. I once serviced it with 20W50, and had it drained to continue with the Mobil 1 less than a month, because the car's performance dropped drastically, the engine noise increased, and the engine revving noise when I accelerate sharply was gone.
20W50 is a cheaper oil, and most mechanics don't really know the importance of the fully synthetic oils, and they advice most people to go with the latter.
My wife's old 2008 Corolla had so much sludge in the engine, due to her use of 20W50 engine oil. From the day I serviced it with Mobil 1, she never went back.

P.S.: If you see a wine RAV4 'turbo'ing down the expressway, that might be me.

xcitedjay:
Personally, I wouldn't advice anybody staying in Nigeria to use 5w20/30/40 engine oil in their car. My car's engine knocked after using one of those oil and this is my second engine knocking experience.

For one it's too thin and doesn't effectively absorb the heat built up in the engine well enough, add that to our already hot climate.

In both cars, I was driving at a sustained speed of 180km/hr when I suddenly experienced a knocking sound inside the engine. Bearings were found to be worn when the engines were opened. Both happened roughly about a month after servicing.

If you drive mostly within the city and don't speed much then you can go for the 5w20/30/40 engine oil else you might just be looking for trouble.

Car 1 - Honda Civic 2004 EX(4 Cylinders) - Total 9000 (5w40)
Car 2 - Honda Accord 2008 V6 EX-L - Mobil 1 (5w30)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by kolexy(m): 6:34am On Aug 27, 2016
eeeeeee:
Virtually every mechanic recommends the use of 20w50 esp Mobil XHP.

This is despite the recommended 5W30/5w20 for most millennium cars (toyotas).

They say the reason is that once the mileage is above 100,000 it is better to use the heavier 20W50.

Please is this true?

What oil should be used in a 1999 toyota camry with 120k,2006 toyota sienna with 100k and 2006 toyota corolla with 90k miles.

I think 20W50 suits our weather better. I don't see night temp falling as low as 5 deg C.

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 27, 2016
i think you are referring to some kind of a synthetic oil! it is supposedly good for cars with high mileage! i can attest to that!i have a car that refused to die on me, i have always used synthetic oil for my oil change!
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by cogbuagu: 6:54am On Aug 27, 2016
My Guys, pls use what is recommended by the manufacturer for your car. Leave long story.

I bought a tocumbo Toyota corolla 2008 in 2014.

Believe me, it runs like new car till date and more fuel efficient than how it was when I bought it because I have been using its recommended grade 5w30.

Not just the grade but best mobile 1 oil in the world and best oil filter in the world.
The oil I use is mobile 1 extended performance 15,000 miles guaranteed which is 3x better than mobile 1 0w40 sold here in Nigeria and Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter which holds 3x capacity of dirt's other oil filter holds.

Men, these oil and filter are every expensive but the joy my ride gives me using it pays it.

See attached pix

3 Likes

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by cogbuagu: 6:55am On Aug 27, 2016
U can hit me up if you want
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by EdoBoy90(m): 7:23am On Aug 27, 2016
Viscosity rating of oil
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Jalinco: 7:30am On Aug 27, 2016
OP. 20w-50 cannot do the job, why don't you use bitumen or better still use Crude oil? Then you will not hear any pim.

If the manufacturer of the car specify the type of oil and you said he is not correct, I SORRY FOR YOU

2 Likes

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by pafra(m): 7:39am On Aug 27, 2016
Na wa for most guys in nija saina I respect as a mechanic but not as a maintenance engineer.
Guys look for maintenance engineer to advice you on the service of your car. They will advice you on the type of oil to use when to service and the type of service to be made. This will be base on the age of the car, type of car and the speedometer.

Saina must have analys the current 20w50 in Nigeria and their various brand in the lab before coming to conclusion

I work in a construction company that uses only Toyota cars after careful lab analysis of the various oil we don't use any oil other than mobil 20W50 in drums. If we dont get supply cars are parked until we get the supply.
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by honmusa(m): 7:40am On Aug 27, 2016
if you need a good synthetic brand of 5w20 and 5w30 ,you can try Lubex .
contact autologic @08061166316 for supply of lubex 5w30 or 5w20 ,it is available in different categories of sizes in 1 litre,4 litre,5 litre and 7 litres.
Shipping to different region in Nigeria is possible.

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by jakautoworld: 7:43am On Aug 27, 2016
[color=#006600]There are the labels you’ll find on every container of reputable motor oil. The API donut on the right tells you if the oil meets the current SL service rating (C for diesel engines). It also provides the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) viscosity number and tells you if the oil has passed the Energy Conserving test. The starburst symbol on the left indicates that the oil has passed the tests listed for SL service.
Is oil really the lifeblood of an engine? That’s a long-popular analogy, but it’s really not an accurate description. Blood carries nutrients to cells, but it’s air that carries fuel—the “nutrition”—for an [s]engine. However, without oil to lubricate and cool moving parts,
keep them clean and help to seal the pistons in the cylinders, the engine would run for only a matter of seconds, then sieze. So, yes, oil is important.
Oil is so important that we want no less than the best the engine can get—for a good low price, of course. Now, what if you custom-blend the oil so it had exactly the characteristics you believe that your vehicle needs for the type of driving you do. Also it's advisable u buy oil specification and not brand as some people normally do. .

We Fix, You Drive

1 Like

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by kolnel: 7:43am On Aug 27, 2016
cogbuagu:
U can hit me up if you want

How much is the oil and filter for 2000 Lexus and 05 tundra
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Kufie(m): 7:50am On Aug 27, 2016
One should always stick to recommended oil even on 'high mileage' engines, with no smoking or drying of oil.

This definitely is Siena
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Kufie(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2016
xcitedjay:
Personally, I wouldn't advice anybody staying in Nigeria to use 5w20/30/40 engine oil in their car. My car's engine knocked after using one of those oil and this is my second engine knocking experience.

For one it's too thin and doesn't effectively absorb the heat built up in the engine well enough, add that to our already hot climate.

In both cars, I was driving at a sustained speed of 180km/hr when I suddenly experienced a knocking sound inside the engine. Bearings were found to be worn when the engines were opened. Both happened roughly about a month after servicing.

If you drive mostly within the city and don't speed much then you can go for the 5w20/30/40 engine oil else you might just be looking for trouble.

Thanks for the heads up.
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by autotrader2: 7:53am On Aug 27, 2016
ModestSam:
The Mobil 1 I use is 0W40.
My car is a 2005 RAV4 with over 100k miles on it, and I have used it for over 3 years. I once serviced it with 20W50, and had it drained to continue with the Mobil 1 less than a month, because the car's performance dropped drastically, the engine noise increased, and the engine revving noise when I accelerate sharply was gone.
20W50 is a cheaper oil, and most mechanics don't really know the importance of the fully synthetic oils, and they advice most people to go with the latter.
My wife's old 2008 Corolla had so much sludge in the engine, due to her use of 20W50 engine oil. From the day I serviced it with Mobil 1, she never went back.

P.S.: If you see a wine RAV4 'turbo'ing down the expressway, that might be me.

My friend, For your RAV4, i think the recommended oil grade is 5w20 not 0w40. So think again before you go 'turbo'ing' around grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by InvertedHammer: 8:11am On Aug 27, 2016
Itulah:

Yes, mine didn't knock though, but it overheat too often especially when I travel. 5W30 is not advisable in Nigeria weather conditions.
/
Use the manufacturers' recommended oil. Nigeria weather is not the hottest there is. Arizona, Nevada, California can be hotter. Texas weather is very similar to Nigeria's hot and humid weather. It is the same misinformation that make some mechanics in Nigeria remove the thermostat in vehicles and end up killing the engine.
The knocking sound could be from a low grade fuel in your vehicle or sometimes attributed to very low oil level.
\

3 Likes

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by engrelvis(m): 8:50am On Aug 27, 2016
Which oil is best for 1.8 petrol Freelander rover(1999)
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Abbeyme: 8:55am On Aug 27, 2016
autotrader2:

My friend, For your RAV4, i think the recommended oil grade is 5w20 not 0w40. So think again before you go 'turbo'ing' around grin

Tell him, abeg
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by doncent12(m): 9:33am On Aug 27, 2016
Can you tell us the quality of 5w-20/30 you used? Because I have been using them for many years now and my car have been running so smoothly. Even people I recommend it to have never complained. You must have been using a false quantlity and cheap brand. The blend of those oils were done by the manufacturers to withsatnd any heat and cushion the pinions and gears sustainably. You can't know more the manufacturers. That our Nigerian problem.
xcitedjay:

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by IkeJAH(m): 9:35am On Aug 27, 2016
My friend, Please don't vaguely use automotive lubricants.
For the mentioned cars, professionally refer to the car maintenance manual. The original equipment manufacturer (OEM) will readily provide the specified engine oil and other oils to be used in the maintenance of the car.
Sometimes, it's even written on the crankcase cover.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by doncent12(m): 9:36am On Aug 27, 2016
Please, don't mind this guys. I run an automobile service center. Use what your manufacturer recommended. They probably were usuing a fake quality or cheap oil.
timbs001:

This seems to contradict what the experts in the auto section have been telling us. Personally I've been using 5w30 to service my Corolla.
GAZZUZZ, kingreign and other experts, what do you think?
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 27, 2016
eeeeeee:
Virtually every mechanic recommends the use of 20w50 esp Mobil XHP.

This is despite the recommended 5W30/5w20 for most millennium cars (toyotas).

They say the reason is that once the mileage is above 100,000 it is better to use the heavier 20W50.

Please is this true?

What oil should be used in a 1999 toyota camry with 120k,2006 toyota sienna with 100k and 2006 toyota corolla with 90k miles.

IT because 20w50 esp Mobil XHP is cheaper and delivers similar result to the 5w 30.

5w 30 is expensive

Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 27, 2016
Was focusing on any Mobil XHP till I was adviced to go on the far more expensive 5w-30 which is the manufacturers recommended oil.
By next service time I went for the cheaper 20w-50 and stuck to it.
My car had about 60,000mileage and the change in engine oil produced no noticeable change in the car's performance. My car's fuel efficiency seemed to have reduced drastically though.
Half tank used to cover between 250-285miles which varies according to my AC use. Now I can barely cover 220miles with half tank even if I decided to roast myself in hot weather by switching off AC. Could the wrong engine oil use be the primary reason for this poorer fuel efficiency?.
In a bid to take fuel efficiency back to what is used to be, I stupidly worked on my exhaust, changing the net but at the end I stared hearing noise while driving. The Mech that figured out the problem said the exhaust wasn't well fixed back into position and he corrected that but when he had to service my nozzles he felt the engine oil with his fingers (remember I was on 20w-50) and exclaimed the oil had no starch at all and had me buy stuffs like whiz and other additives to improve the starch.
Thought he did me a world of good until now.
The mileage improved to about 250miles for half tank but gradually dropped back to 200-220miles. Could the 20w-50 be primarily responsible for this reduced gas mileage. I'm very keen to restore the fuel efficiency of my car.
Re: Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 27, 2016
engrelvis:
Which oil is best for 1.8 petrol Freelander rover(1999)

Go and check your car manaual or the cap of the car the oil specs should be there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WARNING!!! Don't Put Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car (Video) / 2020 4th Generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport SUV Launched In Lagos / 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.