Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua (5098 Views)

Why Africa Is Backward (pictures) / Jonathan Visits Late Yar’Adua’s Family & Emir Of Katsina During Rally (Photos) / Odili: How Jonathan Displaced Me As Yar’adua’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by OneNaija(m): 10:41am On Jul 31, 2009
President Umaru Yar’Adua last night in Brazil bemoaned the lack of sustainable development in many parts of Africa, blaming it on the absence of peace, security and stability which he identified as the major challenges hindering the progress of the continent.

This is even as he vowed to resist the attempt being made by President Tanja of Niger Republic to perpetuate himself in office through the manipulation of the process to extend his constitutionally allowed second term which ends in December this year.

The president, who is currently on a state visit to Brazil, stated this yesterday in the capital city of Brasilia when he met with the African ambassadors as part of his official engagements in the South American country, saying it was time to do away with all those inhibiting the growth of the continent.

Calling on all African countries to close ranks in the efforts to tackle the identified problems, he said unless concerted efforts were made to overcome the challenges, development would continue to elude Africa and its peoples would continue to wallow in abject poverty, disease and ignorance in a globalised world.

“Sustainable development which gives rise to happy livelihood to communities can take place only in an atmosphere of peace, security and political stability. The continent and its leaders and also our continental organisation of African Union have been aware of this fact and one of the efforts that is being made is to ensure sustainable peace and political stability and security in the continent and for our countries to create the environment for sustainable development,” he further stressed.

The president particularly singled out political instability in many of the countries which he attributed to rapid change of governments through unconstitutional means over the last half a century, the sit-tight syndrome of African leaders and manipulation of elections, saying it had made the implementation of developmental programmes impossible.

“We must be sure of political stability so that we can plan and implement policies and have continuity unlike on the past half a century where we had wasted a lot of energy without policies because of rapid changes of governments,” he stated.
He cited the case of Nigeria for instance, pointing out that since its independence in 1960, it was not until 2007 that Nigeria was able to achieve the feat of a peaceful change of power from one civil administration to another.

However, he told the ambassadors that African leaders were making tremendous efforts to halt the drift by dealing with the sit-tight syndrome and manipulation of the electoral system by the leaders in a determination to promote peace, security and stability needed for development.

“This is why my administration has embarked on the reform of our electoral process so that we can have a good electoral process and decent democracy and ensure credible and acceptable elections that will form the basis for building trust in the system we are operating. We are also making this effort at the sub-regional level, that is ECOWAS. I think so far we have had successes in Sierra Leone, Liberia and now in Guinea Bissau,” he further pointed out.

Commenting on the Nigerian leader, President Yar’Adua, who is the current chairman of ECOWAS said moves are on to dissuade him from his mission of unconstitutional elongation of his tenure, vowing that Nigeria would not sit by and watch that happen in the country.
“I have sent a delegation from ECOWAS to talk to President Tanja. We have also sent a joint delegation of ECOWAS and African Union (EU) and UN but there still seems to be no positive response. As soon as I go back to Abuja, I will invite President Tanja to come to Abuja because we need stability, we need political stability, peace and security for us to pay attention to issues of development, education, human development and there are many challenges,” he added.

Similarly, he said African leaders had told Captain Kamara of Guinea Conakry and Lurrent Gbagbo of Cote d’Ivoire to ensure that they held credible elections in their countries by the end of this year as a way of promoting peace in their domain so that development could go on.
He told the African ambassadors to show interest in what is happening all over the continent and not just their individual countries alone, saying all African countries were bound by similar historical experiences.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/july/31/national-31-07-2009-14.htm
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by TippyTop(m): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2009
blaming it on the absence of peace, security and stability which he identified as the major challenges hindering the progress of the continent.

What are you doing to arrest the above Mr President?
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2009
Im sure they wrote that for him. Did he even know what he was saying? Can he even understand? I am sure he crams it, the only thing these idiots can read is a Jihad statement written in their Hausa language.
This puppet of a president has been doing incoherent things since he was rigged in. Starting from denying several things he was alleged to have said. I am sure when the fool is back in africa, he would deny ever saying such thing. We have a sick president who has infected the entire country with his a strange and debilitating disease. This guy makes Abacha and Obj look prestigious! angry

Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by zPixel(m): 12:21pm On Jul 31, 2009
HAHAHAHAAAAAAA grin
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by lookmangiw(m): 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2009
The mumu president have nothing to offer,he is just a dumbhead.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by Nezan(m): 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2009
interesting grin grin
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by Nija4Life(m): 1:31pm On Jul 31, 2009
Nothing personal against Yar'Adua but with him incharge Nigeria cannot move forward. He just doesn't have what it takes (I'm sure he would be the first to admit it in private). When I see him speak on tv you can clearly see the man is frail, his views are not articulate and he appears to me like a man who gets told what to do. Unfortunately OBJ forced him on us and we been who we are accepts anything thrown at us
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by tkb417(m): 2:45pm On Jul 31, 2009
Africa are not developed cos of people like him in power
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by stiyke(m): 3:22pm On Jul 31, 2009
cry cry
What have we got , ?

Behold see what Naija presented. Your house is burning and u are elsewhere talking about security and peace and did u say stability?? Mr President Yar', is a true representation of Nigeria.

Nigerians are sick ppl
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by canuck(m): 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2009
Mr. President never ceases to amaze me.

Yar'Adua is blaming the "absence of peace, security and stability" for underdevelopment in Africa. Here is how to express and resolve this quandry with Symbolic Logic 101:

Assumption 1: Yar'Adua leads the government of the most populous African country
Assumption 2: Successful governments provide peace, security and stability

A negation of Statement 2 defines a Failed Government that perpetuates underdevelopment because it fails to provide peace, security and stability

Conclusion (Substituting Assumption 1 into the negation of Assumption 2): Yar'Adua's government, based on Yar'Adua's definition is a Failed Government!

I rest my case.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by hackney(m): 3:52pm On Jul 31, 2009
How come he didnt mention corruption as one of the reasons for Africa's backwardness?
We are still where we began, i guess.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by freshmoney(m): 4:09pm On Jul 31, 2009
Yarafool,Yaralaughte ;Dr,Yarasick Dumbest President I v ever seen
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by soloqy: 4:21pm On Jul 31, 2009
tkb417:

Africa are not developed cos of people like him in power

Exactly . Summary of it all
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by rasputinn(m): 4:29pm On Jul 31, 2009
aasog:

Im sure they wrote that for him. Did he even know what he was saying? Can he even understand? I am sure he crams it, the only thing these idiots can read is a Jihad statement written in their Hausa language.
This puppet of a president has been doing incoherent things since he was rigged in. Starting from denying several things he was alleged to have said. I am sure when the fool is back in africa, he would deny ever saying such thing. We have a sick president who has infected the entire country with his a strange and debilitating disease. This guy makes Abacha and Obj look prestigious! angry

grin grin grin grin grin grin LWKMD ROTLMAO
Aasog take your time o,abi you wan crack my ribs,shuo see as tears just dey comot from my eyes as your post dey crack me up
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by mamag3: 5:04pm On Jul 31, 2009
Yaraweak needs to step down. undecided
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by bawomolo(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2009
ha ha @ puppet president.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
OneNaija:

President Umaru Yar’Adua last night in Brazil bemoaned the lack of sustainable development in many parts of Africa, blaming it on the absence of peace, security and stability which he identified as the major challenges hindering the progress of the continent.

We are in serious trouble if our leaders think that lack of peace, security and stability is our major problem. Our major problem is the LACK OF A GENUINE PEOPLE'S constitution! The failure of our government to allow the people determine their borders, whom they would like to share the nation with and on what terms! The failure of government to allow local and state authorities control their own resources to force others to develop theirs instead of depending on oil alone.

What sort of president is this?
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by nex(m): 5:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
Y'all should give the man a break. He's talking about what he believes should he in Africa not what is.

From listening to Yar'Adua most recent speeches, I believe the man is not considering a second term in office. But It's up to us to make sure that lobbyists don't convince him otherwise.

Yar'Adua is actually lost in running Nigeria and he knows it. He can't wait for his tenure to expire. I'm really sorry for the guy sha.

But really this Niger president should wake up. We don't want negative influences around us.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2009
so who are the puppeteers in the cartoon?
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by dfanthom(m): 7:24pm On Jul 31, 2009
the laggard will just go there & expose his ignorance freely to the world.
if he comes back & practices a tenth of what he preached over there then naija will improve by 50% in all ramifications. but i know the laggard doesn't even believe in what he's preaching and the audience knows this too! tongue
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by CrudeOil2(m): 8:13pm On Jul 31, 2009
Yar'adull's breath stinks like ass.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by pirobaba(m): 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2009
yar' adua or yes' i do am. should go and sleep.

i told people that the maga is holding brief for
the next hausa maga that's why i am happy
about the boys. if the rich try to enrich themselves
the more let them blow more pipelines/oil wells.

they took thier children abroad and want the poor
one to suffer. na lie! we go all suffer.

sorry for yes' i do am but cheers to barrack obama
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by Izunwa(m): 8:57pm On Jul 31, 2009
Just look @ who is talking of peace & security contributing to under development. Ur country was on fire & u still embark on state visit to discuss wat u don't know. For ur information PARTY CARPET CROSSING contributes more to instability.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by ibelab(m): 9:08pm On Jul 31, 2009
SCINCE 1966, ALL OUR SO CALLED PRESIDENTS ARE ALL ILLITREATES OR OLD SKOOL:abi i dey lie?
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by suave: 10:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
I thought this was meant to be the first University trained President. Did I hear anybody say Obasanjo was dumb, c'mon, ever seen his international interviews and how he adeptly handled his comments and cracked jokes(though he must have done otherwise in his administration) I was watching a footage of ya'adua's visit to the white house on you tube, one of his first international appearances, it was so unfortunate I expected more from him.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by xyzed23: 6:01am On Aug 01, 2009
yara'DOnothing
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by princekevo(m): 7:44am On Aug 01, 2009
The president particularly singled out political instability in many of the countries which he attributed to rapid change of governments through unconstitutional means over the last half a century, the sit-tight syndrome of African leaders and manipulation of elections, saying it had made the implementation of developmental programmes impossible[b].[/b]
This statement from the president shows that we Nigerians are not ashame of ourselves and that is why we will always remain a failed state, I never believed this guy could mention Manipulation of election knowing that the same manipulation brought him into power, he is  jst making himself look more stupid in the eyes of world leaders,

He cited the case of Nigeria for instance, pointing out that since its independence in 1960, it was not until 2007 that Nigeria was able to achieve the feat of a peaceful change of power from one civil administration to another.,

Is this that an achievement? He is boosting on and enjoying the peaceful change of power becoz Nigerians are cowards, His political Godfather OBJ dare not tries that in Liberia or Sierra Leone he mentioned and have peaceful 4 yrs tenure,

“This is why my administration has embarked on the reform of our electoral process so that we can have a good electoral process and decent democracy and ensure credible and acceptable elections that will form the basis for building trust in the system we are operating. We are also making this effort at the sub-regional level, that is ECOWAS. I think so far we have had successes in Sierra Leone, Liberia and now in Guinea Bissau,” he further pointed out.

Leadership by exampe,  all you need to do Mr president is organised a free and fair election and step down from power, Knowing that the same electoral manipulation brought you into power, You cant be in an error and trying to correct an error, you rather step out from the error,
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by sley4life(m): 10:53am On Aug 01, 2009
thats is his opinion. Its better for we to provide remedy & enforce it so africa can be develop
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by princekevo(m): 11:09am On Aug 01, 2009
sley4life:

thats is his opinion. Its better for we to provide remedy & enforce it so africa can be develop

His opinion that who and who should remedy and enforce it?
He should jst start the remedy as a good leader by organising a free and fair election
then resign,
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by chidyke77(m): 11:21am On Aug 01, 2009
Our problem is leadership corruption nt insecurity and other things he mentioned. Nigerian cn be among the top 10 developed countries if we hav a good leader. Yaradull knows our problem bt he's just deviating frm it because he's also a member of d corruption squad that are sustaining hm. If we hav a good government, insecurity wl b minimize and d Niger delta issue wl be a thing of d past. Nigerians are hard workin people and wt a good leadership, i imagine a country that wl b more condusive to live than ours.
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by vigasimple(m): 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2009
chidyke77:

Our problem is leadership corruption nt insecurity and other things he mentioned. Nigerian cn be among the top 10 developed countries if we hav a good leader. Yaradull knows our problem bt he's just deviating frm it because he's also a member of d corruption squad that are sustaining hm. If we hav a good government, insecurity wl b minimize and d Niger delta issue wl be a thing of d past. Nigerians are hard workin people and wt a good leadership, i imagine a country that wl b more condusive to live than ours.

You got it spot on.

YAR A'CLUELESS is part and parcel of the problem. he was 'elected' into office, he promised electoral reform, declaration of emergency on power within 100 days, he is still dancing around.

I dare say that he is not fit physically and mentally to lead this country. If he disagree, he should release his medical records.

People like YAR A'DO NOTHING leading a A DO NOTHING PARTY AND GOVERNMENT are why Africa is where we are today.

Until we have a geniue and sincere revolution to put fear into every Nigerians about consequences of our actions or sometimes inactions we are going nowhere.

These people especially in the PDP are corrupt almost more than corruption itself.

I dare say that NO GOOD THINGS WILL EVER COME FROM A THIEF because he will even steal anything just because it is in his genes

YAR A'DULL can look in the mirror and ask himself WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR NIGERIA IN 2 YEARS OF BEING IN POWER?
Re: Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua by chic2pimp(m): 3:21pm On Aug 01, 2009
rasputinn:

grin grin grin grin grin grin LWKMD ROTLMAO
Aasog take your time o,abi you wan crack my ribs,shuo see as tears just dey comot from my eyes as your post dey crack me up
no mind am jare. I don skata 4 floor come dey laf

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Plolice Issues International Arrest Warrants For El-rufai And Ribadu / North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg / FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.