Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

My Nysc Experience - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Nysc Experience (1162 Views)

"My NYSC Camp Experience" – Owolabi Ajasa / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. / My NYSC Experience In Kano State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Nysc Experience by oofiliaaron(m): 2:25pm On Apr 07, 2016
For the umpteenth time I glanced through my call up letter allowing myself to savor this taste of victory over the undergraduate life and finally made my way to cross river state.
My arrival at the camp signaled for me the commencement of what you would term "stress". The experience overwhelmed my academic psyche and I felt like a graduate army officer. Shortly after the orientation was declared closed, the camp became an extraordinary beehive. There was a mixture of sadness, joy and mixed feelings occasioned by the posting to places of primary assignment. For me, it was sadness when I noticed my letter was addressed to the principal of a public secondary school. I thought I was going to escape the education sector.
Series of events occurred and some repostings took place and I finally found myself heading for this jungle, a thick forest and some where close to the end of the earth, in Bekwarra LGA of CR state.
It wasn't what I dreamt of, but I was determined to enjoy my service year. I kept aside all forms of discouragement and resumed quickly as the Physics (ss1-3) and Mathematics (ss2) teacher at my PPA.
I spent the first week evaluating my students and discovered that the students, though in rural area were neat people, always on a neat charcoal ironed uniforms. But the problem was, 90% of them wanted to become Reverend Fathers and sisters, another 5% cyclists and farmers and another 5% barbers. Immediately I knew my job was going to be a difficult one. I spent another week talking to my students on how to own better dreams and how to take their studies serious to achieve these dreams. It was Initially difficult, but the Physics and Mathematics business eventually commenced properly.
we were always left with nearly empty classes on market days as students would have to follow their parents to the market. Also, most of our students miss school regularly due to farming activities. I remember asking a student "Monica, why were you not in school yesterday?" and she replied "Uncle I go farm"...Lolz.
The village is called "Abuagbor - iye". It's #300 away from the nearest market, #500 away from the nearest bank and #300 away from the nearest source of drinkable water. The villagers live in mud houses, while the cement block buildings seen around were erected just to have corpse buried in them .( something I could not phatom). The villagers are predominantly Catholics, but thank God for AGC where I have made myself useful for Christ. Although some how selfish, the villagers are nice people, so friendly and always willing to teach you their language.
Finally, I just want to say it has been a wonderful experience. I thank God his grace and protection, even as I count down to April 14th.
Are there any benefits of participating in the NYSC?. Well, yes they are but it might not include making millions since the allowances are meagre . You will make new friends and have some work experience. But for me, the supper benefit is it will enable you to be able to survive anywhere you are in Nigeria without having to feel lonely or far away from home.
Thank God it's almost a done deal!
April 14th loading......

4 Likes

Re: My Nysc Experience by TheSociopath(m): 4:33am On Apr 08, 2016
Thank you for
sharing

(1) (Reply)

New Update On NYSC ‘allawee’ Increment / NYSC 2012 Batch B Posting To Kaduna,kano. Help!!! / Incomplete Payment Of Alawi For The Outgone 2014 Batch A Corp Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.