Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) (2968 Views)

Please My Puppy Is Dying From Parvo Virus Help Me To Save My Puppy / Pls Help:my Puppy Staggers And Falls / Help... My Puppy Is Too Playful. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by darkgoddes(f): 11:22am On Apr 08, 2016
Hello gurus in the house. I was away for 2 days and when I got back last night, I noticed these sore on my puppy's back. I wouldn't want to take chances, hence the reason for bringing it to this forum. Can someone pls explain the possible cause of these? How can it be treated? Is it something I should be extremely worried about? Attached are pictures.

Thank y'all.

Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Martins97: 11:38am On Apr 08, 2016
It is caused by an infection...Try this:put palmoil over the infected place nd wait till it turns white.Now press,a maggot like thingy will pop out.Repeat till none is left

1 Like

Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by darkgoddes(f): 12:35pm On Apr 08, 2016
Thanks. Will go try that rightaway.
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Namdeenero(m): 1:28pm On Apr 08, 2016
Martins97 is actually right, it's caused by botflies. The first picture looks like it's been infected already so you should probably take your pet to the vet for antibiotics shots and then always disinfect the holes after squeezing the botflies larva out. Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Awotimi(m): 2:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
darkgoddes:
Thanks. Will go try that rightaway.
They've said it all.....sorry about this. Maybe you should give rules on how the dog should be monitored to whoever is gonna take care of it while you're not around.
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by darkgoddes(f): 2:41pm On Apr 08, 2016
I actually did what martins97 suggested and the maggots came out. Eight maggots in total.
Thanks everyone for your contribution.

Pls what's the next step now, and how do I disinfect the holes?

1 Like

Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Martins97: 5:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
I support Nam suggestion but if u live in a place fa from a vet office.Go to a store nd get antibiotics after cleaning up the sore hole with dettol.The hole will close up after some few days.Goodluck!
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by darkgoddes(f): 8:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
Thanks so much for your help so far. How will I administer the antibiotics on the pup?

Martins97:
I support Nam suggestion but if u live in a place fa from a vet office.Go to a store nd get antibiotics after cleaning up the sore hole with dettol.The hole will close up after some few days.Goodluck!
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Martins97: 10:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
If its a tablet one,u can grind and mix with puppys favourite food but if its the one in injection,I advice a Vet does this.Info below should help

PRODUCT
CANINE DOSAGE (DOG)
COMMON USE
Buffered Aspirin
5 mg per lb every 12 hrs
Pain relief, anti-inflammatory

Vitamin B
½ to 2 ml subcutaneously every 24 hrs
Used as an appetite stimulant

Benadryl
Up to 2 mg per lb every 8 hrs
Treat allergies, itching, etc.

Dramamine
Up to 50 mg every 8 hrs
Used to reduce motion (car) sickness

Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
10 ml by mouth every 15 minutes
Used to induce vomiting after accidental ingestion of poison

Epinephrine 1:1000
1/10 to ½ ml intramuscular or subcutaneously
Used to treat reactions following insect stings, bites or medication

Pepto Bismol
1 teaspoon per 5 lbs every 6 hrs
Used to relieve vomiting or stomach gas, diarrhea

Di Gel Liquid
Up to 4 tablespoons every 8 hrs
Antacid and anti-gas

Mineral Oil
Up to 4 tablespoons daily
Used to eliminate constipation

Kaopectate
1 ml per lb every 2 hrs
For diarrhea

Tylenol (Acteminophin)
Not recommended
Not recommended

The following are common antibiotic medications prescribed by veterinarians. Do not use outdated medications and ALWAYS follow the advice of your veterinarian when using antibiotics.

PRODUCT
CANINE DOSAGE (DOG)
COMMON USE
Amoxicillin
5 mg per lb every 12 hrs
Treats bacterial infections

Ampicillin
10 mg per lb every 6 hrs

Tetracycline
10 mg per lb every 8 hrs

PEN BP-4
each ml includes 150,000 units each of penicillin G. Benzathine/Penicillim

G. Procaine
1 cc per 20 lbs every 48 hrs subcutaneously

Procaine Penicillin
300,000 units per ml
1 ml per 30 lbs subcutaneously
Fights bacterial infections

Erythromycin tablets
5 mg per lb every 8 hrs
Fights bacterial infections

Weights & Conversions
1 kilogram (kg) = 2.2 pounds (lb) more precisely 2.204 lbs
1 kilogram = 1000 grams (gm)
1 gram = 1,000 milligrams (mg)
1 milligram (mg) = 1/65 grain
Volumes
1 ml = 1 cc
15 drops = 1 ml
1 teaspoon (tsp) = 5 ml
1 tablespoon (tbs) = 15 ml
1 ounce (oz) = 30 ml
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Akunyun(m): 6:52am On Apr 09, 2016
darkgoddes:
Thanks so much for your help so far. How will I administer the antibiotics on the pup?

It's called Myiasis AKA Dog maggot, since u 'v pressed everything out, there's a spray called Charmil spray (Available @ Pet stores, Depending on ur location) or something close to that and spray it directly on those areas, it will be painful though. Secondly, I will advise u give oxytetracycline injection (5%) intramuscularly but u may need to help of a veterinarian with this if u aren't good @ administering injections.
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Namdeenero(m): 7:56am On Apr 09, 2016
The antibiotics is for the infected wound in the first pic, your vet should help with administering it. Use dettol to disinfect the other holes. Botflies mainly lay eggs on grasses or plants and when your pet gets into contact with these plants the eggs drop onto their skin. Try cut the grasses around areas where your dog plays
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by darkgoddes(f): 8:51am On Apr 09, 2016
Thanks guys. I appreciate.

Namdeenero:
The antibiotics is for the infected wound in the first pic, your vet should help with administering it. Use dettol to disinfect the other holes. Botflies mainly lay eggs on grasses or plants and when your pet gets into contact with these plants the eggs drop onto their skin. Try cut the grasses around areas where your dog plays

Akunyun:

It's called Myiasis AKA Dog maggot, since u 'v pressed everything out, there's a spray called Charmil spray (Available @ Pet stores, Depending on ur location) or something close to that and spray it directly on those areas, it will be painful though. Secondly, I will advise u give oxytetracycline injection (5%) intramuscularly but u may need to help of a veterinarian with this if u aren't good @ administering injections.
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by Haryobame: 6:39pm On Apr 09, 2016
buttfly..just deworm with ivecmetin.
Re: Pls Help! Sore On My Puppy's Body (with Photos) by arcbay(m): 12:28am On Apr 12, 2016
You need to always run ur hands on ur dog at every given time. This allows u notice every change(s) on him...

Watch out for more, they reproduce except if you've already administered d antibiotic...

Myasis is a medical condition that occurs when ur dog lies on dampy areas. I think u need to watch how d dude lives his life.

(1) (Reply)

Very Fine Lhasa Apso Pups For Sale! (Affordable) SOLD OUT! / Giant Python Which Reportedly Swallowed A Dog Killed In Ibafo (photos) / Can you drink raw goat milk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.