Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage (41179 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Issues On Family Values And Marriage? / “Anal Sex And MouthAction Are Sins Against God” – Nigerian Lady. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by megawax8: 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Pope Francis has issued hotly-anticipated new guidelines on the Church’s approach to family life after two years of consultations with the world’s bishops. Here are some of the main points:
– Homosexuality –
Francis slaps down proposals to place gay unions on the same level as marriage, saying bishops found “there are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family”.

He also slams external pressure on churches to change their position and says it is “unacceptable” that “international bodies should make financial aid to poor countries dependent on the introduction of laws to establish ‘marriage’ between persons of the same sex”.

The pope offered sympathy to those families with gay relatives, “a situation not easy for parents or for children”, and said the Church must avoid “every sign of unjust discrimination” towards homosexuals.

– Cohabitation –
Francis says couples who live together outside of marriage “need to be welcomed and guided, patiently and discreetly”, and the choice to cohabit may be based on external factors such as financial difficulties or cultural situations.

– Remarried divorced people –
“They are not excommunicated and should not be treated as such”, and should be made to feel part of the Church “while avoiding any occasion of scandal”. The pope says the Christian community caring for such people “is not to be considered a weakening of its faith” but a sign of “its charity”.

– Broken marriages –
Pastors should judge situations on a case-by-case basis: “we know that no ‘easy recipes’ exist”.

– Children –
Offspring should be taught to say “Please”, “Thank you” and “Sorry”, they should be punished for misbehaviour, cured of the vice of “wanting it all now” and prevented from watching television programmes which undercut family values.

– Church self-criticism –
“We need a healthy dose of self-criticism”, says the pope, admitting that until now the Church has “proposed a far too abstract and almost artificial theological ideal of marriage” and struggles to present marriage as more than “a lifelong burden”.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/popes-new-guidelines-on-love-sex-and-marriage/

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by KEZDON(m): 3:38pm On Apr 08, 2016
Diplomacy, Wisdom

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Annunaki(m): 4:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
I am mostly in agreement with most of his submissions here, though I am not catholic. We as christians should learn to leave judgement for God, ours is to Love others as Jesus taught us.

123 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Tellemall: 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Is the Pope God?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Catholic church says cohabit if finance is your problem

Bible say marry if you have burning desire for each other. Wedding requires money marriage does not.

I go with the bible.

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by DMC66(f): 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Reading......
Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Akshow: 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Tellemall:
Is the Pope God?
jamb kweshion.

23 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Akshow: 6:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
Well Said Pope.

16 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Integrityfarms(m): 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Homosexuality, Cohabitation and Remarried Divorced Couple whose spouses is still alive is unbiblical and sinful!

#Godkeepthechurchpure

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Ok
Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by marycool18(f): 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Values have long been thrown in the trash can, gone with the wind. The average human now sees nothing wrong with immoral behavior, social vices and careless behaviour. tongue

15 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by hollah123: 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
cool
Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Ajgal10(f): 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Offspring should be taught to say “Please”, “Thank you” and “Sorry”, they should be punished for misbehaviour, cured of the vice of “wanting it all now” and prevented from watching television programmes which undercut family values.

I love this...

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Annunaki:
I am mostly in agreement with most of his submissions here, though I am not catholic. We as christians should learn to leave judgement for God, ours is to Love others as Jesus taught us.

I was thinking the laws are clearly stated in the old testament

1 Like

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by dimsonu(m): 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
megawax8:

Pastors should judge situations on a case-by-case basis: “we know that no ‘easy recipes’ exist”

This is an amazing principle to live by, knowing that there are primary principles which it's built on.
Thank you Papa

nedu2000:
As long as I see no biblical backing,then it remains his own personal opinion just as I have mine.
Best he resigns though,since he and the bible don't seem to see eye to eye

Peter (the first Pope), Paul and James have their 'opinions' and letters make up the Bible, hence the 'opinions' and letters of the Pope, being inspired by God is God's words.

Stupedinluv:

Bible say marry if you have burning desire for each other. Wedding requires money marriage does not.

I go with the bible.

MoltenMagma:
The pope says couples can cohabit?

Well sha the pope is not infallible so I will stick with what the bible tells me about living in sin
undecided

People who didn't read the article will never know what he said, because you have decided to misquote him...please do not make yourselves children of the deceiver... Read below for what the Pope Francis said

Francis says couples who live together outside of marriage “need to be welcomed and guided, patiently and discreetly
The Church is like a hospital, it welcomes and guides the sick patiently and discreetly. The Church came for the sinners not the righteous.

Integrityfarms:
Homosexuality, Cohabitation and Remarried Divorced Couple whose spouses is still alive is unbiblical and sinful!

#Godkeepthechurchpure

Hiaaaaaaaa the Pope didn't say he supports it... But like Mary Magdalene the prostitute who was brought for Jesus to stone to death...he said 'He without sin cast the first stone on her!!!'

Bro if you are without sin, be the first to caste stones on them, but remember that the measure you give is the measure you will receive!
Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy!

141 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by kingstylo01(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
Tellemall:
Is the Pope God?
The Pope is not God, rather the visible head of Christ on earth, the vicar of Christ...

remember, Christ said to Simon Peter "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall never prevail against thee"

God bless the Pope! cool

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by luvinhubby(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
Wise from the pope.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by nedu2000(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
As long as I see no biblical backing,then it remains his own personal opinion just as I have mine.
Best he resigns though,since he and the bible don't seem to see eye to eye

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by loomer: 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
Not bad.
Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Elzends(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
Soo when I clicked on reply, I expected to see 'do you believe in Jesus Christ................' that kinda tin seen on Islam threads

Bt dats none of my business

His holiness has spoken, a lotta pipo will gladly choose to misunderstand what he said just like some commenters above me

15 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Fran6ik: 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
A man of wisdom filled with the Holy Spirit. my namesake

9 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
KEZDON:
Diplomacy, Wisdom
Abandonment of God's Wisdom for Human DIPLOMACY due to pressure

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by DMC66(f): 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
Tellemall:
Is the Pope God?
go ask him,after all he's on instagram

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2016
Suggestions for those without a functioning brain aka majority of believers. I do what I want when I want and how I see fit.
Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
The pope says couples can cohabit?

Well sha the pope is not infallible so I will stick with what the bible tells me about living in sin
undecided

7 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Fran6ik: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
Stupedinluv:

I go with the bible.
will you marry a gal whom cultural finance value u cannot meet? Try Igbo gals at Agulu or Okuzu nd u will understand wat d pope means

9 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by cocoberry(f): 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
angry
Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by viqueta(m): 6:22pm On Apr 08, 2016
VIVA LA PAPA.......I COULDN'T HAVE AGREED LESS. MORE WISDOM TO HIS HOLINESS

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
Fran6ik:
will you marry a gal whom cultural finance value u cannot meet? Try Igbo gals at Agulu or Okuzu nd u will understand wat d pope means
Am a lady. Culture cannot come before one's christian religion.

5 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by athaboi(f): 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
This is perfect! Thanks to his holiness for his God given wisdom!

2 Likes

Re: Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
I thought the pope will pander to western influence. God bless you Pope Francis.

Archbishop Rowan Williams of Canterbury will roast in hell for allowing gay marriage.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome To Give $100m To God (Video) / Rev. Fr Chietnum John Mark Killed By Bandits In Kaduna / Pastor Humble Okoro Vs Daddy Freeze: Power Clash That Will Deliver OAP (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.