Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics (30936 Views)

Dickson Hosts Obasanjo, Goodluck Jonathan And Patience To A Dinner (Photos) / 2017 British And Commonwealth Remembrance Day Service Held In Abuja (photos). / Governor Obaseki Hosts Obasanjo During His Courtesy Visit In Edo State.(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by sixtuschimere: 2:04am On Apr 09, 2016
Nigeria’s Former President and Co-Chair of the Commonwealth Africa Initiative (CAFI) Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, former UN Scribe Dr. Kofi Anan, and Africa Regional Director for GLEEHD Foundation/Commonwealth Africa Initiative Africa Engagement Director Ambassador Dayo Israel, were among the Key Guests at the recently concluded Commonwealth Day Service & Commonwealth Africa Summit activities in London in the presence of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

The Commonwealth Africa Summit is an annual event hosted as part of the activities to celebrate the Commonwealth Week in London and organised by the Commonwealth Africa Initiative and GLEEHD Foundation. This year’s Summit was supported by New Commonwealth Initiative, Heritage Bank Nigeria, Pan African Minerals Sierra Leone, Memorial Gate Trust, Royal Commonwealth Society, BEN television, Phoenix Newspaper, TVC News Africa, Joseftree Consult, Amandla Consulting, Stones and Stellars, The Times of Africa, CNBC Africa, Association of African Owned Enterprise in the UK, Business Council on Africa, PK Media UK, The Dream Center Nigeria and others.

Other special guests at the week-long activity included Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh; HRH Prince Andrew The Duke of York; HRH Prince Williams and HRH Kate Middleton; HRH Prince Harry; Co-Chair of the Commonwealth Africa Initiative Baroness Shreela Flather; Lisa Cameron MP; Speaker of the Parliament of Bangladesh Dr. Shirin Chaudhary; Prime Minister David Cameron; Baroness Scotland (New Commonwealth Secretary General); H.E Kamalesh Sharma (Outgoing Commonwealth Secretary General); Prime Minister of Malta Joseph Muscat; Executive Director of the Commonwealth Africa Initiative and Regional Director (Africa) for GLEEHD Foundation Mr Dayo Israel; CEO of Heritage Bank Mr Ifie Sekibo; CEO Pan African Minerals Mr Moseray Fadika; Nigeria’s Minister of Sport Mr Solomon Dalong; Former Governor of Ebonyi State Nigeria and Chairman Nigeria’s Senate Committee on Industry Senator Sam Egwu; Permanent Secretary Lagos State Ministry of Women Affairs Mrs Oduwole; CEO DSTV Sierra Leone Mr Adonis Abboud; CEO Sightsavers Dr. Caroline Harper; Chairman Danish UK Chambers of Commerce Mr Wheeler; CEO Challenges Worldwide Eoghan Mackie; Bishop John Francis; Pastor Andrew Adeleke, CEO BEN Television Mr Alistair Soyode and many more.

The Commonwealth Africa Summit with the theme “Shared Prosperity. Mutual Security” was also attended by Mayors from across London; High Commissioners, Members of Parliament and a huge number of the African Diaspora Community leaders and citizens from across the Commonwealth.1

In His Keynote Speech during the opening plenary with the theme: “Leveraging our shared Heritage – What Africans can learn from their developed Commonwealth counterpart”, President Obasanjo said “I want to correct the impression that it’s only we (Africans) that can learn from other people and others don’t have anything to learn from us. I believe that any good person can learn from any other person, from situations and all the things around you. There is a lot the west can learn from Africa”.

Highlighting some of the lessons from Africa, Obasanjo said “In the Commonwealth, if the Africans had not put their act together and work as hard as they have done within the commonwealth, South African Apartheid regime might still be ongoing. How we did it, what did we do, others can learn from us”.

The Former President said “Lets focus this conversation with what is right with Africa and What can we do with Africa”. Africa is not an unmitigated failure, there are good things in Africa. Africa is the cradle of humanity. However, let nobody confuse you with this word globalisation, for me I don’t take it, if Globalisation means you ask me to open my door and you close your door against me and you want to take everything in my own house to yourself then to hell with globalisation.”

“We as Africans should remember that nobody will do anything for you unless you do it for yourself. In my part of the world, when you want to carry a load, you put a pad on your head and stand by your load, then they will see you need help and come to help you. We need to put our pad on our head as Africans and stand by our lead ready to carry, then they will help us. Our greatest asset is our people. Let us train and educate. I was talking to Kagame once and he said when “I started school, I had no slate so I was writing on my thigh”. Let us educate our people”, Obasanjo added.

In his remark, the Commonwealth Africs Initiative - Africa Engagement Director, Mr Dayo Israel said “Africa has come of age and its not enough to belong to the Commonwealth, we must benefit from the Common wealth. There is a reward for being a Member of the EU – Free trade agreement and what have you, we need to begin to push for better rewards for our Commonwealth Membership. We must be able to leverage on our shared heritage when it comes to Immigration, Trade, Youth Development and Security. We must make the commonwealth more relevant to the ordinary African people”.

On the other hand, Former UN Scribe Kofi Annan, not only praised the Queen for her "steadfast devotion" to the Commonwealth but also praised the organisation for its commitment to human development. According to him “Commonwealth not only strengthened links between member countries, it offered practical support from election monitoring to promoting security co-operation”.

Speaking at the Commonwealth Day service held at Westminster Abbey he paid tribute to the monarch who, in her annual address to the family of nations, called on the Commonwealth's citizens to support those in need.

Speaking about the family of nations' 2016 theme - An Inclusive Commonwealth - Mr Annan told the congregation: "This puts the people at its heart, at its centre and declares that plurality and diversity are the greatest strengths. It also means that we must constantly strive to ensure that no child, woman or a man is excluded or left behind. These are enduring principles which not only bind us together as citizens of the Commonwealth but are absolutely critical for our collective ambitions for our world. It has never been more important for the Commonwealth to stress the bonds of human compassion and solidarity that unite us across the divides of race and religion, gender and geography."

Ellie Goulding, who sang at William and Kate's wedding reception, gave a pared down performance of the Sting hit Fields Of Gold at the Event.

The Summit began with a Wreath laying ceremony at the Memorial gate where member states laid wreath in honour of the dead of the 2 World Wars. Commonwealth Africa Initiative Co-Chair Baroness Flather while speaking to the audience at the event which had in attendance the new Commonwealth Secretary General Baroness Scotland said “through this activity, we are able to honour the Africans who fought in the 2 world wars, like the Nigerians who fought alongside the British in Burma”.

Dr. Caroline Harper while speaking at the Summit at the prestigious Tag Hotel in Victoria said “We must leave no one behind in the Commonwealth and as the SDG says, we must reach the farthest behind first”.

The Queen’s annual Commonwealth Day message formed part of the event’s programme at Westminster Abbey and in it she wrote: “Today, and in the year ahead, the theme An Inclusive Commonwealth is an inspiration for us all. Let us give it practical effect by supporting those in need and those who feel excluded in all walks of life. By doing so, we will continue to build a truly representative Commonwealth community.”

The weeklong activity also featured a one to one meeting with HRH Prince Andrew the Duke of York which was attended by CAFI Co-Chair Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, CAFI Africa Director Mr Dayo Israel and others.

Delegates also joined the outgoing Commonwealth Secretary General H.E Kamalesh Sharma at the Commonwealth Young Leaders Award Ceremony at Marlborough House, the Secretariat of the Commonwealth.

The London Summit is being followed by a series of activities in South Africa, Guyana, Namibia, Nigeria and the UK Houses of Parliament ahead of the 2017 Summit slated for 13th – 15th March 2017 in London.

More photos...

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/04/obasanjo-kofi-anan-others-hosted-by.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by sixtuschimere: 2:06am On Apr 09, 2016

1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by sixtuschimere: 2:06am On Apr 09, 2016
sixtuschimere:
More
More

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by sixtuschimere: 2:07am On Apr 09, 2016
sixtuschimere:
More
More

1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by Sirme411(m): 2:10am On Apr 09, 2016
This shuld mke front Page na....

#OgaObj
#EboraOwu

7 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by sixtuschimere: 2:19am On Apr 09, 2016

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by dayowunmi(m): 2:32am On Apr 09, 2016
Obasanjo the ex president still relevant than some sitting heads of state. From prison on death row to aso rock, the blessing of God on his life is too obvious.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by odiereke(m): 2:37am On Apr 09, 2016
Am so so happy for this man, He has been so relevant in today's world and truly, He is an elderly stateman.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by bonechamberlain(m): 3:00am On Apr 09, 2016
useless colonial and neocolonial organization, what is common about our wealth. angry

obj the thief who sold a part of his country in this 21st century for international fame and fortune. if u don't know bakassi was sold for nothing to Cameroon using that useless ICJ judgement don't quote me. too many fake and failed African leaders. angry

15 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by MosakuAW(m): 3:01am On Apr 09, 2016
God really bless this man. He has been relevant in Nigeria and world politics for so many decades. Even all the names he bears are powerful names-

Olusegun : "God is Victorious".

Aremu : Someone that you take special care to have or raise.

Okikiola : Fame of wealth.

Mattew : Gift of God.

Obasanjo : The King has deliver.

30 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by alexory23(m): 3:10am On Apr 09, 2016
Live long queen!.....lol....good old days,OBJ please tell the Queen that the independent given has turn into selfslavery,my people are suffering cos of greediness,selfishness,that Nigeria has lost HER dream and passion for getting independent,that the "TRIBALISM & RELIGEOUS DIFFENCES" has taken the place of "LOVE & UNIT" and Nigerian is now in the middle of Economy crisis!,......we need an advise, what is the way forward?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by Nobody: 5:17am On Apr 09, 2016
USELESS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by onojaduru: 6:33am On Apr 09, 2016
Baba is still relevant in World politics

5 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by babyfaceafrica: 6:42am On Apr 09, 2016
Where GEJ dey sef?...still dey collect plastic award ?..issokay

12 Likes

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by seunny4lif(m): 8:27am On Apr 09, 2016
God please let me be great in life sad

I know I'm a sinner and I don't reaĺly obey your words but God just have mercy on me and bless my hustle cry cry

This man is not one of the best president in Africa
He is not a first class graduate sad sad
But life favour him everywhere smiley smiley

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by davodyguy: 8:28am On Apr 09, 2016
Nice one

OBJ, an ex president of Nigeria is still very much relevant both home and abroad.

He has access to buhari any time he wants and in the international circle, he's still recognised. He has monitored several elections across Africa.

Unlike some ex presidents of Nigeria that can't even compare to OBJ

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by youngwarlocks: 8:28am On Apr 09, 2016
okay
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by solara: 8:30am On Apr 09, 2016
No comment...

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by geniusgenes: 8:31am On Apr 09, 2016
Let them go and enjoy. They will meet us here.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by omolola15(m): 8:32am On Apr 09, 2016
Ok.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by carbony4red(m): 8:32am On Apr 09, 2016
i sight dem
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by Cy995: 8:33am On Apr 09, 2016
Noted.....
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by imiski(m): 8:33am On Apr 09, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
dis is d kind of functions bubu should b attending
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by jimi4us: 8:34am On Apr 09, 2016
Abeg which language does buhari speak when he's with Obama and co.? Cos me as a Nigerian anytime buhari speaks I don't always understand. He speaks like he's chewing colanut. We need to check his mouth.

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by loomer: 8:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Me no see obasanjo and the queen o. Na just one random woman him shake.

1 Like

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by Nobody: 8:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Abeg abeg abeg who them epp?
Boiz are hungry, no light, no fuel and ur telling me how our colonial masters and bourgeois citizens are flexing. Una no get job walahi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by omojesu202(m): 8:36am On Apr 09, 2016
this old man seems to be active more half of Nigerian youths. But its not our fault, they have caged us.
Eboras of Naija.
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by erekoshe: 8:36am On Apr 09, 2016
babyfaceafrica:

Your minker should be frombabyfactory, basically because your mental prowess have been subdued from birth
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by TaiKuun(m): 8:38am On Apr 09, 2016
Who dem don epp?

In other news, today is my birthday please guys click like & share to show me love. I love ya'll

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by Segadem(m): 8:40am On Apr 09, 2016
omojesu202:
this old man seems to be active more half of Nigerian youths. But its not our fault, they have caged us.
Eboras of Naija.
cage who? How can u speak for million of youth out there? Well I'm not cage and I refuse to be caged cool
Re: Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics by Nellybii: 8:52am On Apr 09, 2016
bonechamberlain:
useless colonial and neocolonial organization, what is common about our wealth. angry

obj the thief who sold a part of his country in this 21st century for international fame and fortune. if u don't know bakassi was sold for nothing to Cameroon using that useless ICJ judgement don't quote me. too many fake and failed African leaders. angry

Just go through what you just typed.
Doesn't it strike you that this is full of hate.?
Why do you hate everything good that happens to everyone? Are you a sadist?
And you want people to have a reason to rejoice with you. Karma is waiting. Hate begets hate.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Plans To Raise Petrol Prices Again / Nigerian Fighter Jets Bomb Bokoharam Terrorist Location In Sambissa / Shehu Sani's Comment About Magu & Fayose That Shows Karma Is Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.