Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? (13970 Views)

First Ever Convertible Range Rover Velar Spotted (Photos) / Dino Melaye Parks His Ferrari Convertible At Transcorp Hotel With The Top Down / Safe Or Not 215/60R16 On The Front And 205/60R16 At The Rear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by victorazy(m): 8:33pm On Apr 10, 2016
femi9naija:
They all look beautiful on coupes, but are they that safe from theft? Especially the soft top ones. A car thief could rip open the soft top convertible to gain access to the car interior. That might be difficult with the hard top convertibles.
Suggestions are welcomed as this is just my own opinion.

Here is safe but there in Naija, undecidedis a shame is not.

1 Like

Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by WhiskeyTangoFox: 8:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
[/quote]I had a massive boner (no disrespect) after reading ur write up.....explained better than most guys can......shows ur level of exposure and intelligence regarding an issue modern ladies seem to know less about (not stereotyping)....u sound like a "guy's gal"....keep it up[quote author=Darkchocolate post=44585591]So all these comments and not one answer. Smh

Driving a convertible with the roof down is equal to driving around with your windows wound down. Very much discouraged whilst in Lagos traffic.

Theft-wise, newer car models are very difficult to 'hotwire' soft top or not (not entirely impossible though). You more or less have to have keys to be able to steal most vehicles nowadays. That is why most car jackers wait for the owners and steal vehicles directly from them because they steal the keys too!!! So even if your roof is down, is would be very difficult to steal unless they have the actual keys. They could ransack it though grin so it is always advisable to put your valuables in the boot of your car (convertible or not).

In a roll-over accident, the impact is usually on the tallest structures in the car and in convertibles, this is usually the people's head so very likely to cause serious or life threatening injuries.

Why would anyone own a convertible in Nigeria anyways...you'll be baked under the sun in the name of showing off. Your girlfriend (if you are a man) won't even want to sit in the veh with you with the roof down because all her bleaching will be ruined and there won't be any A/C for her. grin

But softtops make correct sense this scarcity period sha...can you imagine the kind of fuel you'll save from not having to switch on AC. Just be getting natural breeze! smiley cry

The best time to drive a soft top in Nigeria would be in the evening/night when weather don cooool but OYO is your case if you are driving around in dodgy and questionable neighbourhoods like Mushin or Oshodi or those bridges (3rd mainland's sister).

Come to think of it...anybody who owns a softtop should be able to afford to live in a nice secure estate eg: Northern Foreshore, VGC, that one in Maryland, etc etc ...so you can show off inside there. If you can't afford to live in such an estate then you have no business buying a soft top cheesy. Better go and manage one Toyota Corolla and enjoy your small A/C.

Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by ophilly: 8:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
Convertibles are very safe here in Nigeria. Car thieves look for common, easily disposable cars not for exotic rides like convertibles. I like convertibles, my concern is not about its safety but rather the durability of its leather top and the mechanism controlling it.
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by WhiskeyTangoFox: 8:55pm On Apr 10, 2016
@darkchocolate I had a massive boner (no disrespect) after reading ur write up.....u explained better than most guys can......shows ur level of exposure and intelligence regarding an issue modern ladies seem to know less about (not stereotyping)....u sound like a "guy's gal"....keep it up
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by 19naia(m): 8:56pm On Apr 10, 2016
With what petrol are they going to operate any vehicle? Thanks fuel scarcity for making auto theft obsolete and making convertible cars safe from theft.
I am so happy i bought my Keke/Bicycle a few months ago. Its good exercise for a healthy lifestyle.
Burning petrol is not good for fresh air any way. Clean air=clean bill of health.

Bicycle , and you will enjoy convertible experience ,not suffer fuel scarcity experience and you will not pollute the clean air with petrol smoke.
grin
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Beejhayz(m): 9:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
I think it is safe
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Darkchocolate(f): 9:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
WhiskeyTangoFox:
@darkchocolate I had a massive boner (no disrespect) after reading ur write up.....u explained better than most guys can......shows ur level of exposure and intelligence regarding an issue modern ladies seem to know less about (not stereotyping)....u sound like a "guy's gal"....keep it up

wink kiss
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by InvertedHammer: 9:43pm On Apr 10, 2016
/
Not safe in Nigeria.

1. In rollover, you will be decapitated if top is down. If top is up, the frame is not sturdy enough to prevent head injury and the consequent intracranial hemorrhage.

2. You are an easy target for robbers in traffic.

3. No knowledgeable mechanic/electrician to fix the convertible mechanism when it fails.

4. If conversion fails during rainy season, goodluck if you are on the road (although Mercedes do have manual override).
Etc.
\
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by femi9naija(m): 11:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
BizBloke:

No car is safe in this country, even humans. That's my opinion.

grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by GANJAFARMER: 12:35am On Apr 11, 2016
kennysteve77:
I get a perfect answer to op's question but the poster above me don take waste the space wey I for like use and he no get anything to say. Next time sha...
grin grin
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by GANJAFARMER: 12:37am On Apr 11, 2016
WhiskeyTangoFox:
Hehe .... This your comolete fit make woman off pant o . cheesy

Fire down , your ministry must move to permanent site grin
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by wtfCode: 12:37am On Apr 11, 2016
why u go wan buy am sef
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Darkchocolate(f): 6:41am On Apr 11, 2016
GANJAFARMER:
Hehe .... This your comolete fit make woman off pant o . cheesy

Fire down , your ministry must move to permanent site grin

Is it really that easy to off pant? Wow...you must teach me the tricks. smiley
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 11, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
Not safe in Nigeria.

1. In rollover, you will be decapitated if top is down. If top is up, the frame is not sturdy enough to prevent head injury and the consequent intracranial hemorrhage.

3. No knowledgeable mechanic/electrician to fix the convertible mechanism when it fails.

4. If conversion fails during rainy season, goodluck if you are on the road (although Mercedes do have manual override).
Etc.
\

Inverted, due to additional reinforcement on the base and the sides, convertibles are generally heavier than regular cars, which reduces the risk of a roll over.

I wouldn't drive one in Nigeria not because of safety reasons but due to the danger of petty thefts, dust and pollution.

Funny enough, because they are not really practical due to minimal legroom in the back and reduced boot space when the roof is down, it wont get used as much as a regular car, hence further reducing the risk of being in an accident.

They are very useful though when one is going to an owambe and one has tied gele that is higher than the roof of a conventional car grin grin grin
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by InvertedHammer: 11:51am On Apr 11, 2016
tearoses:

Inverted, due to additional reinforcement on the base and the sides, convertibles are generally heavier than regular cars, which reduces the risk of a roll over.

I wouldn't drive one in Nigeria not because of safety reasons but due to the danger of petty thefts, dust and pollution.

Funny enough, because they are not really practical due to minimal legroom in the back and reduced boot space when the roof is down, it wont get used as much as a regular car, hence further reducing the risk of being in an accident.

They are very useful though when one is going to an owambe and one has tied gele that is higher than the roof of a conventional car grin grin grin

/
Cars don't just roll over. It could be an accident. The top is so weak that if anything heavy falls on it, it is over.
I just had to laugh at the gele part. I don't see any woman riding in a convertible with her gele on. Either the wind distorts the shape or traffic urchins will grab the gele from her head if it looks expensive.
\
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
Nor b person wey don chop beleful dey drive convertible? So any mishaps dem face dey have to bear its consequences.. cheesy
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by kingreign(m): 2:58pm On Apr 11, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
Not safe in Nigeria.

Etc.
\

all/most convertibles have roll bars either permanently up or that automatically comes up when the top is removed or when the car senses an imminent roll over.
Besides, the A pillar holding the windshield is harder than standard non convertibles to further withstand crushing impacts.
Also, due to lack of B pillars and fixed roof structures, convertibles have most of its weight and structural rigidity aids down to ensure a lower centre of gravity.
Finally, airbags, seatbelts and the likes have made convertibles safer than imagined.

3 Likes

Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Kashif(m): 4:00pm On Apr 11, 2016
kingreign:

all/most convertibles have roll bars either permanently up or that automatically comes up when the top is removed or when the car senses an imminent roll over.
Besides, the A pillar holding the windshield is harder than standard non convertibles to further withstand crushing impacts.
Also, due to lack of B pillars and fixed roof structures, convertibles have most of its weight and structural rigidity aids down to ensure a lower centre of gravity.
Finally, airbags, seatbelts and the likes have made convertibles safer than imagined.

You took it off my fingers. Spot on!
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by InvertedHammer: 4:19pm On Apr 11, 2016
kingreign:

/
None of those things mentioned will spare a life in a roll over in Nigeria. I owned an Slk320 and later SL500. At the dealership and even the vehicle manual, they emphasized the risks involved in driving a convertible especially the hardtops and safety myths.

All the added features you mentioned were attempts to keep customers happy and keep fatality low. Think about airbags. In fatal collisions, they are useless. I am sure they have safety features but to be driving it in Nigeria requires extra planning.

One instance of a roll over will be speeding down the interstate and a pothole or bump appears from no where.
Nigeria roads are good for reinforced SUVs that the owners intend to drive within or a little over 100km/hr.
\

1 Like

Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by kingreign(m): 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
[b]None of those things mentioned will spare a life in a roll over in Nigeria. I owned an Slk320 and later SL500. At the dealership and even the vehicle manual, they emphasized the risks involved in driving a convertible especially the hardtops and safety myths.

those long oral and written sermons are as a result of health and safety considerations, i know cars have all sort of warning notices as a legal means to protect manufacturers in event of crashes
from drivers or environmental errors. But i know convertible cars are safer than you think they're.

All the added features you mentioned were attempts to keep customers happy and keep fatality low. Think about airbags. In fatal collisions, they are useless.
i have been saved by using my seatbelt 2 times in my old carina 2 liftback. First crash was the car lost control on high speed, went over a flyover and landed in a deep drainage below. NHSTA and NCAP arent silly to conduct crash tests in real life situations and in controlled environments. A convertible with all the safety gizmo is safe, but without use of safety device, occupants could be killed in even an SUV (talking about Late Mr Ocholi's case).

I am sure they have safety features but to be driving it in Nigeria requires extra planning.

One instance of a roll over will be speeding down the interstate and a pothole or bump appears from no where.
Nigeria roads are good for reinforced SUVs that the owners intend to drive within or a little over 100km/hr.
\
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 11, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
Cars don't just roll over. It could be an accident. The top is so weak that if anything heavy falls on it, it is over.
I just had to laugh at the gele part. I don't see any woman riding in a convertible with her gele on. Either the wind distorts the shape or traffic urchins will grab the gele from her head if it looks expensive.
\

Look well grin
Re: Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? by femi9naija(m): 8:34pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hmmm... Quite insightful in here. But my main concern is can't the car be easily burgled by tearing down the soft top?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tesla Will Reveal Its Electric Container Truck In September (teaser Photo) / Great And Affordable Car Dealership Deals In Nigeria... / Nwanneni's Road To Recovery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.