Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense (36183 Views)

GTBANK Introduce Security Pin For *737# Transactions / My Experience Using Gtbank *737* Transfer Service / Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by anochuks08(m): 7:38am On Apr 10, 2016
chinkichun:

You're obviously not a Banker grin
Exactly, thats why am pleading on you bankers to help me make sense of it all
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by AntiWailer: 7:39am On Apr 10, 2016
iyaegin:
I think it is very obvious to the learned that this post cum d Op is actually the stupid nonsense.
Have you not wondered why it was only N20, 000 the robbers were able to transfer and no more.
Do you realise the account the funds were transferred to can be traced and with proper investigation when our Police decide to turnup the culprit can be traced in a matter of days more especially in this day and age of BVN.
It is okay to express your concerns but do it with some common sense and not nonsense.

There's more to say but i will stop here.

That was what the guy had then, you can do as much as 80,000 if not more. As for tracing and proper investigation, We don't have a working system to see that through for every case. If not, ATM with pictures, why don't we see WANTED online when people enter ONE CHANCE.

His points are valid, they were just rudely stated.

1. Restricting the transfers to your internet banking beneficiaries

2. Using Hardware Token instead of the Card No should be ok.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by McSterling(m): 7:41am On Apr 10, 2016
This yeye Gtb has stopped the *737# service on my account. I've not been able to transfer funds from my account for over a month. They said the service has been stalled for e-accounts.

Good points, op. They should tighten up on security. I used to think one must include one's ATM password before this service can work, but I recently found out that bit is optional.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by crisycent: 7:41am On Apr 10, 2016
coolbreeze44:
The advantage is more than the disadvantage. The introduction of the BVN makes so much sense when theft such as that mentioned by the OP is perpetuated. It will take less than 10mins to get to know the criminals that did that. I am sure the GTB management would have done a proper survey and brainstorming before embarking on the *737# concepts.

You never hear say people dey buy account? Don't be a learner!
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 10, 2016
Donmams:
Nonsense post by OP.

Needlessly castigating one of the best banking innovations of our time.
I would have zero problems as far as crooks are willing to steal my money via bank transfer!
In this day and age of BVN, the foolish thief who does that will be leading you straight to his doorstep!

Even if he provides a fake Address, his biometric data will be flagged and anywhere he opens a new account or makes a transaction within a banking hall he will be arrested immediately!

There is nothing 'unsafe' about it! Unless that criminal is a fool he will never attempt transferring money to another account as it is just too easy to trace. This is why the BVN was introduced in the first place! To stop financial crimes completely!

Is this really a needless castigation?

I am sorry to say but this is a very myopic comment. You have not even queried or challenged the content of the post. You and all those saying the culprit will easily be caught are not thinking about the immediate consequences of the theft. Did you read the part where he wrote that the 20k transfered was the last money in the victim's account.

What if you need the money desperately at that point and the criminals are able to empty your account? Maybe to pay school fees or hospital bills.......will catching them later change the immediate consequence of the theft of the money which could be very grave.

Catching the criminals through BVN or whatever is secondary. Who even wants to go through the stress of shuttling between the police station and the bank? The point is, my money should NOT be transferrable without my consent in the first place and currently, it can.

3 Likes

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:42am On Apr 10, 2016
BCISLTD:
angry what kind of criminal transfers money to his own account?

a foolish one

1 Like

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by AntiWailer: 7:44am On Apr 10, 2016
anochuks08:
I wonder how the banking sector operates and common sense doesn't prevail there I see. If I were to head the banking sector, all these scams will be minimized or drastically reduced.
Sometimes I ask why someone will run to the bank that he was defrauded or a similar case like the one above and the bank will do absolutely nothing about it. Why not transfer or reverse the funds back to its source? if the funds have been withdrawn, why not place a lien on the account and reverse when the account recieves a deposit?

It is more complex than that Bro.

1. The transfer is done to another bank in most cases. IF that is the case, getting the other bank to do a lien is not as simple as the spelling of lien.

2. For internal transfers. Are you saying after you have paid me for goods and services and u quickly run to go and complain, the bank should reverse the transaction ?

They will not do that again by the time serious litigation starts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by crackhouse(m): 7:46am On Apr 10, 2016
@OP, U CAN PASSWORD UR PHONE AND UR SIMCARD AND THAT SAVES A LOT OF SHITS. EVEN IF UR SIMCARD IS REMOVED AND PUT IN ANOTHER PHONE THEY WILL STILL NEED UR PIN CODE TO ACCESS IT.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by olayinkajnr(m): 7:46am On Apr 10, 2016
dominique:
I also agree that the four digit pins should be set by the customer and not the last four digits of their ATM. Imagine living in a crowded environment. It doesn't take much for someone to take a peek at your ATM card to memorize your pin and then find a way to get hold of your phone.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by Nobody: 7:49am On Apr 10, 2016
iyaegin:
I think it is very obvious to the learned that this post cum d Op is actually the stupid nonsense.
Have you not wondered why it was only N20, 000 the robbers were able to transfer and no more.
Do you realise the account the funds were transferred to can be traced and with proper investigation when our Police decide to turnup the culprit can be traced in a matter of days more especially in this day and age of BVN.
It is okay to express your concerns but do it with some common sense and not nonsense.

You sound like you are not in Nigeria. Police report?

You know how much that costs and the time spent to get that. why aign me up for a service that's not secure? Extra money spent chasing money that has been stolen when it is the duty of the bank to do so.

Is it the user that has to bear the brunt of the banks stupidity. What is a pin?

Do you know if you purchase something on a pos, your last 4 digits is displayed on the reciept and you remeber the store keeps a copy also. So what happens if someone gets the reciept and just your sim card or phone. Is that what Gtb calls a pin or security?

2 Likes

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 10, 2016
Haryohdeji:
do you know that the transaction can only be done on the phone you used to open your bank acc. So its not that possible for anybody to transfer your money at your back.

Olodio...

What if they take your simand insert in another phone?
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by akyus(m): 7:53am On Apr 10, 2016
Exponental:
@Op, your post is the beautiful nonsense.
Make a police report, the account the money was transferred to will be traced. With email and SMS notifications, u can get the account easily, better still, visit ur bank.
Do u think ransom collectors that collect CASH are fools?
Police report. Are you in Nigeria? Anyway, going through the bitter experience is now a choice.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by ceekay247: 7:53am On Apr 10, 2016
Your friend should have hotlisted his card by calling GTCONNET on 08039003900 or 08029002900 immediately he lost his card. Even could have also block his line by calling the mobile service provider (Airtel - 111, MTN - 180, etc). These processes could have render the thief efforts senseless. The *737# USSD idea is a beautiful innovation that other banks will soon bench mark GTBank on and not "beautiful nonsense" as you tagged it. I have been using it for several months and it is highly convenient and safe. Just for card holders and phone users to know what next to do immediately you lost your cards and phone. *737# is a welcome innovation. ....wouldn't you rather bank with us
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 10, 2016
olayinkajnr:

In as much as the op is right, he is wrong about the last 4 digits on the ATM card. The pin required to complete any transfer using the 737 code is your ATM card pin, which I believe those thieves won't have guessed right if the victim didn't tell them when threatened. I also make use of the 737 service to transfer and perform other transactions and I've never been asked to input any last 4 digit of ATM card. Only your ATM pin will be requested.. Op, Pls next time, make your findings well before u conclude.

Maybe you keep your mouth shut instead and do your findings well.

here is a screenshot of a transfer i was about to do just now.

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by OwoLee(m): 8:00am On Apr 10, 2016
dominique:
I also agree that the four digit pins should be set by the customer and not the last four digits of their ATM. Imagine living in a crowded environment. It doesn't take much for someone to take a peek at your ATM card to memorize your pin and then find a way to get hold of your phone.
U getting it wrong, u only make use of the phone registered with GTbank, even if another person has your last 4digits, they still can't go thru. The only thing there is making sure u know the person u give your phone to...
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by koman: 8:04am On Apr 10, 2016
I concur with the two suggestions op made.

When this service was last yr, I quickly spotted the risk involved and decided to call Gt customer care centre.
I told them I want to be able to choose the myself so I can change it whenever I want, the response was they'll look into it.
I said ok, I want the option to out of the service whenever If I don't want to use it cus you can't compel all your customers to use a service they're not comfortable with, the response was same.

I guess all the guys saying in this era of BVN it's easy to catch a criminal doesn't have wife, kids, siblings and friends that are close to you.

Are you gonna kill them when they transfer air time and petty cash from your account?

Have you also gone through the rigours of recovering stolen fund from a Nigerian bank?

I love the 737 service, I think I'm among the first group of people that started using when it was just for air time to ur registered mobile number, later came the option of buying air time for others and now the fund transfer option.
I use the service every time in fact I can't remember the last time I bought airtime from a vendor but the service has to be improved on.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by gibzzhd: 8:05am On Apr 10, 2016
pls for those that have used the service,what are the charges for transfers.I want to know before activating it on my account before I start getting funny deductions on my account.Thanks
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by olayinkajnr(m): 8:06am On Apr 10, 2016
x240:

Maybe you keep your mouth shut instead and do your findings well.

here is a screenshot of a transfer i was about to do just now.

Maybe you should learn how to validate your points without trying to shut others off, is that how you learn?. What I just wrote was my experience with the service and never have I entered my last ATM card code except my ATM card pin. And btw, u can always make a point and let others see reasons with you without adding insult to it. #peace
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by djlakeside(m): 8:12am On Apr 10, 2016
Personally, I don't see it as a beautiful nonsense but the only thing is that the Bank needs to improve and guide against the loophole. Apparently, It is a beautiful suggestion for each customer to have a personalised pass code before making any transfer.

Also, I want to believe that the culprit can still be tracked down. Let the ATM card owner reports the matter and the account where the money was transferred to can be traced. My hunch
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by Kunlexic(m): 8:13am On Apr 10, 2016
Naija
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by poseidon12: 8:16am On Apr 10, 2016
olamide452:
So true, though it's fast and stress free, it's also risky. Even someone close to you can transfer the money and instantly delete the debit alert

But the bank also sends email alert in addition to the sms alert.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by jagojunior(m): 8:17am On Apr 10, 2016
ceekay247:
Your friend should have hotlisted his card by calling GTCONNET on 08039003900 or 08029002900 immediately he lost his card. Even could have also block his line by calling the mobile service provider (Airtel - 111, MTN - 180, etc). These processes could have render the thief efforts senseless. The *737# USSD idea is a beautiful innovation that other banks will soon bench mark GTBank on and not "beautiful nonsense" as you tagged it. I have been using it for several months and it is highly convenient and safe. Just for card holders and phone users to know what next to do immediately you lost your cards and phone. *737# is a welcome innovation. ....wouldn't you rather bank with us

Calling Customer Care is faster than the thieves dialling *737# to enable a transfer? Let's be realistic here please, GTbank shouldn't have automatically placed all customers on the service and violating the rule of PIN is another issue. Those making suggestion about a police report and tracing the money are just learners. My folk got scammed of 320k at the beginning of last month and had done the police report/tracing stuffs yet we haven't heard anything from them till date. Imagine losing your life savings because of such security flaw and undergoing the rigorous task of recovering your money, who is going to be sustaining you while at it?

I like the Op cos he went further to suggest a solution to the flaws. GTBank should please do the needful and other banks trying to key into this innovation should build a better system for us. Surely, we will achieve a near perfect system in everything if we are open to good suggestions and can work towards achieving them. Shalom!

1 Like

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 10, 2016
olayinkajnr:

Maybe you should learn how to validate your points without trying to shut others off, is that how you learn?. What I just wrote was my experience with the service and never have I entered my last ATM card code except my ATM card pin. And btw, u can always make a point and let others see reasons with you without adding insult to it. #peace

If you would go on and give evidence to back up your assertions next time and not just calling something a lie you won't be railroaded.

Still waiting for your screenshot where gtb asks for atm pin by the way.

Fact is this silly 737 service is not secure and gtb should own up and make changes else i am moving my money and salary account to zenith or union bank.

I can't loose my hard earned money due to a banks stu.pi.dity and lack of awareness of what the environment they operate in is like.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by suco01(m): 8:19am On Apr 10, 2016
Donmams:
Nonsense post by OP.

Needlessly castigating one of the best banking innovations of our time.
I would have zero problems as far as crooks are willing to steal my money via bank transfer!
In this day and age of BVN, the foolish thief who does that will be leading you straight to his doorstep!

Even if he provides a fake Address, his biometric data will be flagged and anywhere he opens a new account or makes a transaction within a banking hall he will be arrested immediately!

There is nothing 'unsafe' about it! Unless that criminal is a fool he will never attempt transferring money to another account as it is just too easy to trace. This is why the BVN was introduced in the first place! To stop financial crimes completely!

Pls hw fast will d culprit be apprehended?. Also the CBN and all dose commercial banks are part of the pple scamming us, Instance is stamp duty charge on savings account and CBN said they dont charge stamp duty on savings account bt Stanbic IBTC and Access charge me, First bank, GTBank, Eco bank and some other banks deduct money frm customers account and while u complain, they dnt justify the integrity in d deduction of the money. What/How has CBN as the Apex bank incharge of activites performed by all these commercial banks has done to arrest those commercial banks on irregular deduction on customers accounts?.

1 Like

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by horsepower24: 8:23am On Apr 10, 2016
Azumy:
some people funny wia ur
ATM and cell fone has been used by sum1 else how is d bvn suppose to detect DAT the transaction wasn't made by you.
That's where Police report comes to play. You report at the police station you were robbed and list your belongings that where stolen and take the report to your bank. Your bank would be obligated to initiate a transfer back to you or contact the fraud team of the other bank. And the culprit would be arrested.

A friend of mine was threatened by Kidnappers and they opted for bank transfer. He reported the case to the bank before the transfer. The bank blocked the criminal's account and when the criminal came to the bank to complain, he was picked up immediately by the police.

1 Like

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by DeRuggedProf: 8:23am On Apr 10, 2016
Scratch off the last two digits on your card and save them in your head.

1 Like

Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by horsepower24: 8:25am On Apr 10, 2016
suco01:

Pls hw fast will d culprit be apprehended?. Also the CBN and all dose commercial banks are part of the pple scamming us, Instance is stamp duty charge on savings account and CBN said they dont charge stamp duty on savings account bt Stanbic IBTC and Access charge me, First bank, GTBank, Eco bank and some other banks deduct money frm customers account and while u complain, they dnt justify the integrity in d deduction of the money. What/How has CBN as the Apex bank incharge of activites performed by all these commercial banks has done to arrest those commercial banks on irregular deduction on customers accounts?.

I run a GTBank account too and I wonder what charges they deduct from your account that there is no justification for.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by suco01(m): 8:28am On Apr 10, 2016
amjou:
He can trace his money na.
Let him go to GTB, they will check up d account and bank the money was sent to.
This is so easy, I think.

U're right easy to see where d money is transfered to bt has d banks made it easy for d customers to get his money through scam be refunded back?. hw will his money b refunded back, even all these commercial banks are part of d scammers. Staffs of some banks are scamming customers cos he/she has access to knw ya worth with d bank, commercial banks deduct ya money anyhw in ya account and when u complained, they dont giv genuine reason 4d deduction and yet d money isn't refunded. Starting frm CBN to d commercial bank,s they're all scammers.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by poseidon12: 8:32am On Apr 10, 2016
iyaegin:

They withdrew only 20000 Naira because that was all the money in the account. They cleaned out the account.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by horsepower24: 8:34am On Apr 10, 2016
jagojunior:

Calling Customer Care is faster than the thieves dialling *737# to enable a transfer? Let's be realistic here please, GTbank shouldn't have automatically placed all customers on the service and violating the rule of PIN is another issue. Those making suggestion about a police report and tracing the money are just learners. My folk got scammed of 320k at the beginning of last month and had done the police report/tracing stuffs yet we haven't heard anything from them till date. Imagine losing your life savings because of such security flaw and undergoing the rigorous task of recovering your money, who is going to be sustaining you while at it?

I like the Op cos he went further to suggest a solution to the flaws. GTBank should please do the needful and other banks trying to key into this innovation should build a better system for us. Surely, we will achieve a near perfect system in everything if we are open to good suggestions and can work towards achieving them. Shalom!
Bros. Lie small small. The highest transfer on that *737* is 100k daily.

I had a friend who was threatened to transfer money and he reported the case to the police got a police report and his funds were returned after the culprit was apprehended.

Police report is just for checks so that I don't come back and claim that a legitimate transfer between me and you was a fraud. How would you feel if someone you did a job for pays you after so much wahala and goes to the bank that he mistakenly transfers the money to you. And the bank reverses the transaction? Now the onus is on the police to ensure proper investigation is done before releasing such reports.

I am a lawyer and I av worked on some cases as this with banks and I have noticed that most times, customers lie.
Re: MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense by GodblessNig247(m): 8:35am On Apr 10, 2016
olamide452:
So true, though it's fast and stress free, it's also risky. Even someone close to you can transfer the money and instantly delete the debit alert

To which acct? It can always be traced. didn't u participate in the bvn registration process?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why You Must Start An Online Business In 2017 / Onibara Mi Ti A Npe Ni Aigbe / Gowon Estate Lagos Market Fire Destroys Properties Worth Millions (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.