Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast (31727 Views)

How To Have A Quick Career Growth / Smiling And The Story Of The Women That Sell Toast Bread / The Demands Of An Impromptu Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by igbanbajo(m): 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2016
edygistvilla:
Most people would agree that the idea of speaking in front of large groups of people can be terrifying, and so we tend to avoid it whenever possible. There are times, however, when we are faced with the task and there's no running away: we must say a few words. The following is a template for success which you can use when it's your turn to speak, in just about any type of gathering, formal or informal.

1. The Greeting

"Good..."

The greeting is the easy part. You begin by simply wishing your audience a good morning, afternoon, evening, or whatever time of day it is. **Good* evening everybody...*

2. State the Event

"As we all know..."

The second part is also very easy: You simply state the obvious and remind everybody what the purpose of the event or celebration is, and what you're all doing there. **As we all know,* we're here to celebrate the marriage of John and Kate, and to show them our support as they begin their journey of love and life together...* Now you've got the ball rolling, and the words are coming out easily. You look like you know what you're doing up there, and people are listening. So now, it's time to....

3. Establish Common Ground

"We've all..."

It's important to include your audience as part of the message you're delivering. Talk about something both yourself and your audience can relate to regarding the event or celebration. **We've all* had the wonderful opportunity to get to know John and Kate and enjoy watching their love develop...*

4. State Why You're Speaking

"I..."

Include a personal account, or tell a brief story to let people know why you specifically are talking. What gives you the right to be speaking..? **I've* personally been very lucky to have John as a close friend of mine, and it's been quite amazing to watch how he's grown as a person, and couldn't be more pleased for him to have found someone like Kate to go about his life with...*

5. Call for Action

"So let's all..."

Finally, close your speech with a call for action. This lets everybody know that you're finished without you having to awkwardly say "That's it!" or "I'm finished, thank you"...that is how every weak speech is concluded and makes the audience uncomfortable. You should say something like **"So let's all* raise a glass to John and Kate, and wish them well. Cheers!" or, So Let's all give a big round of applause to Mark for the outstanding job he's done while working with the company"*

Obviously, there are many different ways these leading lines can be used, but if you can commit them to memory and be prepared to use them next time you might be asked to speak, you will let go of all fear and anxiety, and people will be SO impressed with your ability to get up and give a confident, fluent speech in front of a group of people, while looking like you didn't even have to prepare! Good luck, and happy public speaking!

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by andreboz: 7:15pm On Apr 10, 2016
This is a nice template. Saving it to my system for future reference.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Mike008(m): 8:33pm On Apr 10, 2016
This should be from Hollywood movie.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Godsonkemz(m): 8:43pm On Apr 10, 2016
Gbam!! Op you just hit the hammer at the nail.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Henycymama(f): 10:34pm On Apr 10, 2016
Fmartin:
Op, can diz work for shy people

A shy person can be practising with the mirror, it improves one's boldness n reduce shyness
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Henycymama(f): 10:38pm On Apr 10, 2016
george93:
I luv d tip bt some people r innately born wif stage fright. Hw do they overcome that?

such ppu should make use of their mirror, u speak to your mirror with alots of practices, it helps to reduce stage fright and improve one's boldness

1 Like

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by mecussey(m): 10:50pm On Apr 10, 2016
edygistvilla:
Most people would agree that the idea of speaking in front of large groups of people can be terrifying, and so we tend to avoid it whenever possible. There are times, however, when we are faced with the task and there's no running away: we must say a few words. The following is a template for success which you can use when it's your turn to speak, in just about any type of gathering, formal or informal.

1. The Greeting

"Good..."

The greeting is the easy part. You begin by simply wishing your audience a good morning, afternoon, evening, or whatever time of day it is. **Good* evening everybody...*

2. State the Event

"As we all know..."

The second part is also very easy: You simply state the obvious and remind everybody what the purpose of the event or celebration is, and what you're all doing there. **As we all know,* we're here to celebrate the marriage of John and Kate, and to show them our support as they begin their journey of love and life together...* Now you've got the ball rolling, and the words are coming out easily. You look like you know what you're doing up there, and people are listening. So now, it's time to....

3. Establish Common Ground

"We've all..."

It's important to include your audience as part of the message you're delivering. Talk about something both yourself and your audience can relate to regarding the event or celebration. **We've all* had the wonderful opportunity to get to know John and Kate and enjoy watching their love develop...*

4. State Why You're Speaking

"I..."

Include a personal account, or tell a brief story to let people know why you specifically are talking. What gives you the right to be speaking..? **I've* personally been very lucky to have John as a close friend of mine, and it's been quite amazing to watch how he's grown as a person, and couldn't be more pleased for him to have found someone like Kate to go about his life with...*

5. Call for Action

"So let's all..."

Finally, close your speech with a call for action. This lets everybody know that you're finished without you having to awkwardly say "That's it!" or "I'm finished, thank you"...that is how every weak speech is concluded and makes the audience uncomfortable. You should say something like **"So let's all* raise a glass to John and Kate, and wish them well. Cheers!" or, So Let's all give a big round of applause to Mark for the outstanding job he's done while working with the company"*

Obviously, there are many different ways these leading lines can be used, but if you can commit them to memory and be prepared to use them next time you might be asked to speak, you will let go of all fear and anxiety, and people will be SO impressed with your ability to get up and give a confident, fluent speech in front of a group of people, while looking like you didn't even have to prepare! Good luck, and happy public speaking!

some pple sabi book oo
...my bro you sabi
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by djraymy(m): 10:51pm On Apr 10, 2016
fittty:
undecided Whu speech epp?
speech epp your father na
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Tolution1: 10:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
great stuff op
God bless you
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by 2LESS(m): 11:34pm On Apr 10, 2016
nice piece. What do we do while on PMS queue to ease the frustration?
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by piagetskinner(m): 12:09am On Apr 11, 2016
I guess u got these from 'the art of public speaking'.. . It's a book
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by pozbaby(f): 6:21am On Apr 11, 2016
Nice write up
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by hotmolo(m): 6:34pm On Apr 11, 2016
thanks for the info
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by SenatorJames(m): 11:09am On Apr 23, 2016
Good write up. If you have a good start up and welcome for a speech, you will surely end up well. Stage fright is another major challenge.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report / Photo Of Firefighters Looking Very Tired After Putting Off The Grenfell Fire / How To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.