Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,856 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements (31034 Views)

Please Someone Should Help Me With A Cleaner Job, Even If Na Just 20k / Can You Accept This Job,even When They Pay #1million Monthly? / Finally Landed A Very Good Job Even In This Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by BISolutionsng: 8:11am On Apr 10, 2016
#WeLoveGraduates
#WeLoveYouths

Ways To Apply for a Job Even When You Don't Meet the Requirements

Are you ready for one of the best-kept secrets of the job search process? Unless the person doing the hiring has previously worked in the exact role he’s trying to fill, a fair amount of the job description is guesswork.

Think about it: HR managers have to write a description that will simultaneously entice people to apply and ward off those who wouldn’t qualify for an interview. Also, haven’t you heard stories of a person who “met all of the qualifications” being passed over in the final stages for someone who “seemed like a better fit?” Probably so—because a company would much rather hire the candidate with two years of experience who seems like she could hit the ground running than someone with the requisite five years who failed to demonstrate strong communication skills.

So what’s a job seeker who doesn’t quite meet all the requirements in a position description to do?

Ask Yourself if You Could Do the Job

Notice that we didn’t suggest asking, “Do you want the job?” or even, “How much do you want the job?” Honestly, those questions are irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how passionate you are about working in a foreign language—if the job requires translating documents, and you’re only conversational, you’re not qualified. Similarly, it doesn’t matter how fascinating you find a company: You shouldn’t apply for a job running its website if you don’t have any of the technical skills required.

Instead, read through the job description and try to get a sense of what someone in the role would do each day. In your mind, break out “public relations experience” into writing press releases, pitching media, and representing a brand. Think of “writing experience” as the ability to write concisely, persuasively, and with proper grammar.

After you’ve worked through the job description in this way, you’ll have a more accurate sense of what you have to offer versus what skills you may be lacking.

If you’re interested in the advertised role and see yourself doing a great job, don’t let a few missing qualifications stop you from applying. You may not be selected for an interview; but you could also be the best person for the job, and applying is the only way you’ll know.

www.biempowerment.com

27 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by brownemmanuel43(m): 12:54pm On Apr 10, 2016
u are more than a motivator, u really inspired me now now

17 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by kazzonline: 3:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
Nice

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by coolestdude01(m): 6:47pm On Apr 10, 2016
All these ones are stories in Nigeria.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by lonelydora: 5:47am On Apr 11, 2016
Mine was simple those hustling days. I simple edit my CV to the job description advertised. Learn about it with the help of Google and always ready in case I am invited. It worked for me tough.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by cocoberry(f): 5:48am On Apr 11, 2016
Op nice write up... In dis my beloved Country, it's balls down to d fact... who do u know!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by obizy1(m): 5:48am On Apr 11, 2016
Front page things.... Wats d op saying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Blitz888(m): 5:53am On Apr 11, 2016
Well said

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by habss: 5:54am On Apr 11, 2016
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by gbaskiboy: 5:55am On Apr 11, 2016
Useful info, I'll find time to read it

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by samx4real(m): 5:56am On Apr 11, 2016
Nice one!

But u still need CONNE!!!

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by okoi001(m): 5:58am On Apr 11, 2016
Op you did a nice job here, putting this nice article together

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Phemzeal(f): 6:03am On Apr 11, 2016
lonelydora:
Mine was simple those hustling days. I simple edit my CV to the job description advertised. Learn about it with the help of Google and always ready in case I am invited. It worked for me tough.

why do we still go to school ..... when we have goggle!!!
iyalaya anybody! f*uk dat shit**

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by amarachi06(f): 6:10am On Apr 11, 2016
l worked as a manager in my former office with OND Cert. l applied with other graduates but was employed based on my oral and written interview. l can do all things through Christ that strengthens me, only believe and work towards it.

Forget Oral or Written, you have to convince them and how passionate you are towards the job.
Make l bath go work. Good morning my FAM.

12 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Nobody: 6:11am On Apr 11, 2016
Makes sense compares to all the garbage that has filled the front page of nairaland all these days. But overall OP,for this naija wey we dey na God fit just help or favor person

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Mcowubaba: 6:14am On Apr 11, 2016
Hmm
COMPANY GO WRITE REQUIREMENTS...
SECOND CLASS UPPER AND ABOVE, MUST BE 24 YEARS BELOW, MUST BE SKILLED IN ORACLE, JAVA, PYTHON, SPSS, GIS, also have NEBOSH certificate ....

ND YOU, COME GET 3rd class lower, na only Ms-word u sabi, the only app u sabi na Lindaikeji nd nairaland, software u sabi na how to root Android nd jail break IPhone......

Omo, u still get mind apply..... Ogbeni, na DSS go handle ur matter....

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by danduchi(m): 6:16am On Apr 11, 2016
This is good but forgot to include pray before applying.

3 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by izzy4shizzy(m): 6:17am On Apr 11, 2016
Kk

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by saxwizard(m): 6:20am On Apr 11, 2016
good one

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by maputohq: 6:31am On Apr 11, 2016
obizy1:
Front page things.... Wats d op saying
he said that you should not bother if you need a job or not. just apply.

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Oduyalerapheal(m): 6:34am On Apr 11, 2016
OK ooo but you have to back up all your effort with prayer

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Mopolchi: 6:35am On Apr 11, 2016
op you did not tell us the way to apply but we should apply.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by SafetyFirst(m): 6:37am On Apr 11, 2016
Employers are just looking for ways to reduce the number of applicants, but they could also be using that strategy to scare competent hands unknowingly.

#TeamEqualOpportunity

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Bsc(m): 6:39am On Apr 11, 2016
That admin wey ban me.. If them put me and u for ring...I go put one hand for pocket ...nack u mercilessly...

14 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by ednut1(m): 6:50am On Apr 11, 2016
no harm in trying cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by BLWeb: 6:50am On Apr 11, 2016
You can also go for an Internship in the same company you want to get a Job with.

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Feranchek(m): 6:52am On Apr 11, 2016
Cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by klins4213(m): 6:54am On Apr 11, 2016
Impressive write up....Op do job advert let me apply...

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Jobsdome: 6:56am On Apr 11, 2016
Job vacancies always available on www.tipsdome.com/category/jobs check it out

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by ednut1(m): 6:59am On Apr 11, 2016
SafetyFirst:
Employers are just looking for ways to reduce the number of applicants, but they could as be using that strategy to scare competent hands unknowingly.

#TeamEqualOpportunity
put ur self in their shoes u need 10 pple about 3000 apply. wetin u go do

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Sirmuel1(m): 7:19am On Apr 11, 2016
Great piece, thank You OP

1 Like

Re: Ways To Apply For A Job Even When You Don't Meet The Requirements by Exponental(m): 7:21am On Apr 11, 2016
just apply... patapata e, they won't call u but make d 1st move.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Will Make You Shake Your Head In Dismay With Recruitment In Nigeria, Haba! / UBA 1st Level Interview For Jan 2013 / 15k Salary Job....life After Graduation Is Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.