Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses (26237 Views)

Best Universities In Nigeria 2018 To Study Engineering Courses / Best Engineering Courses To Study In Nigeria 2018 / Will Unical Offer Admission Into Engineering Courses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 10, 2016
Many of us in the science field and beyond know the imbalance happening in the STEM(Science Technology Engineering &Mathematics) courses.. gender imbalance!
... Many of us have noticed that their are few females in the areas,when you step into an average engineering department, or technology department, you could count the number of females in these courses as opposed to other female-populated courses like Business Admin,Medical courses, Arts and etcetera.
Which leads one to ask—Why?
..Well ponder no more, here are the obvious reasons why there are few females in STEM courses. Enjoy!
1.STEM courses are too long This is a known fact,to study a course like engineering,technology,one is required to spend at least 5 years in school, and this opposes females because an average female will wanna get married as an undergraduate and even have kids, and as a result, they'd rather go for shorter courses in the social sciences,arts or business.
2.STEM courses are male dominated :Obviously! These set of courses are usually male dominated, e.g. Engineering. So for a girl to apply for theses set of courses,it would mean breaking away from the social norm of "girls going for arts and boys for STEM"
. In fact,some girls in these departments usually feel obliged to dress masculine, avoid putting on earrings, so as to avoid feeling so feminine in the midst of males. A girl will rather identify with the social norm and not want to feel odd.
3.There are few female role-models in these fields :Convincing a female to go for STEM courses will be like convincing a lion to eat grass,because there ain't much female role models that one can look up to. This discourages an average female, outside the schools,its a male dominated industry too. So? That's the consequence!
4.STEM courses are expensive :Like it or not! when you're going for a Technology or Engineering course,you will be required to pay more! And for a lower middle-class economy like Nigeria's, it will be a struggle. I've seen many students struggling to pay fees,the stress of having to work and study at the same time in order to pay fees,buy textbooks, and other expenses connected with the courses is something so daunting. As a result many females are discouraged cuz they sure can't handle the stress! Men are tough na grin grin
5. Many girls are afraid of mathematics and calculations : This is something you discover right from your days in secondary school, a lotta girls shiver whenever they encounter mathematics or any calculations grin.. we boys use this as a pretext to get that fine girl in our class/department wink lol... Consequently, many girls will rather avoid calculative courses and the likes .. they'd rather go for the theory or management based courses.. it's not their fault na,its just so they will have time for themselves. wink ..

Today, there are more opportunities available to girls. Organisations such as the World Academy of Science, the Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World, L’Oreal for Women in Science, the Elsevier Foundation, and the British CouncilGhana all have awards, recognition and fellowships specifically for girls and women. The Visiola Foundationalso provides scholarships for girls to study STEM, and an annual week-long STEM Summer Camp to pique the interest of women in the STEM fields from an early age.

You can add yours

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by elriyaz(m): 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2016
hey good write up.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
Fine

maybe dey're not just interested....they have passion 4 sth else

8 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by illmatic101(m): 7:44pm On Apr 10, 2016
I think I prefer them dating we engineers grin

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
illmatic101:
I think I prefer them dating we engineers grin
yup.. its better like dat abi grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 10, 2016
juhan:
Fine

maybe dey're not just interested....they have passion 4 sth else
that's not a good enough reason .. how can all of u not have passion for engineering? ?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
elriyaz:
hey good write up.
thanks man
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by illmatic101(m): 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
yup.. its better like dat abi grin grin

Yes na
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by BizBloke(m): 8:02pm On Apr 10, 2016
I could only absolutely agree with #4, excluding the last three sentences in that point and this punctures my absolute agreement. But it's the point that makes sense the most.

The rest are relatively flawed or relatively okay. I strongly feel they apply to both genders. No exclusivity. It's inclusive.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2016
Them wan die nii?
Its either you stay and loss your feminism or you go away!
And most ladies can't sacrifice that much! cheesy

I rep Mech engine!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by IDnoble1: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
Yea,correct reasons, thats why I can't stop supporting a former female student of mine who is currently studying mech engine in a university.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Godsonkemz(m): 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
The courses are so tedious and demands physical fitness and creative abilities and could be frustrating if you lack physical fitness. Its masculine in nature considering the practical experience though some women are rising up to face the tougher challenges. Some courses like Mechanical, Metmat and Civil engineering are still beyond their capacity. The word 'what a man can do, a woman can do likewise' is not applicable here in most cases.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Harmored(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2016

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
that's not a good enough reason .. how can all of u not have passion for engineering? ?
ahn is it by force? How come most of u guys are interested in engineering
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by xolocious(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
They r meant to b supportive to men and engineering courses doesn't provide them with such opportunities and privileges. they r better-of with social science and art course. their life span in engineering field is also short and at such, it makes no sense studying a course they know it's life span on their path is short. no b Dia fault sha.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by youngelder(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
They have engine-ophobia...
We can easily decipher the meaning.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by kellsblingsz(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
They no wan make dia palms hard like sampaper
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by NobleAngell(f): 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2016
Well, that's not completely true. I forfeited my chemical engineering admission for another course in another school. Trust me, a part of me still regrets that decision. Engineering is coooool for both genders.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by An0nimus: 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2016
na wa. see spacebookers

Great article man. The reasons hold true for many, especially in the Nigerian setting.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by kobonaire(m): 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2016
Good thread. More women need to go into engineering because there is nothing that they cannot achieve.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by saifuhot: 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
Many of us in the science field and beyond know the imbalance happening in the STEM(Science Technology Engineering &Mathematics) courses.. gender imbalance!
... Many of us have noticed that their are few females in the areas,when you step into an average engineering department, or technology department, you could count the number of females in these courses as opposed to other female-populated courses like Business Admin,Medical courses, Arts and etcetera.
Which leads one to ask—Why?
..Well ponder no more, here are the obvious reasons why there are few females in STEM courses. Enjoy!
1.STEM courses are too long This is a known fact,to study a course like engineering,technology,one is required to spend at least 5 years in school, and this opposes females because an average female will wanna get married as an undergraduate and even have kids, and as a result, they'd rather go for shorter courses in the social sciences,arts or business.
2.STEM courses are male dominated :Obviously! These set of courses are usually male dominated, e.g. Engineering. So for a girl to apply for theses set of courses,it would mean breaking away from the social norm of "girls going for arts and boys for STEM"
. In fact,some girls in these departments usually feel obliged to dress masculine, avoid putting on earrings, so as to avoid feeling so feminine in the midst of males. A girl will rather identify with the social norm and not want to feel odd.
3.There are few female role-models in these fields :Convincing a female to go for STEM courses will be like convincing a lion to eat grass,because there ain't much female role models that one can look up to. This discourages an average female, outside the schools,its a male dominated industry too. So? That's the consequence!
4.STEM courses are expensive :Like it or not! when you're going for a Technology or Engineering course,you will be required to pay more! And for a lower middle-class economy like Nigeria's, it will be a struggle. I've seen many students struggling to pay fees,the stress of having to work and study at the same time in order to pay fees,buy textbooks, and other expenses connected with the courses is something so daunting. As a result many females are discouraged cuz they sure can't handle the stress! Men are tough na grin grin
5. Many girls are afraid of mathematics and calculations : This is something you discover right from your days in secondary school, a lotta girls shiver whenever they encounter mathematics or any calculations grin.. we boys use this as a pretext to get that fine girl in our class/department wink lol... Consequently, many girls will rather avoid calculative courses and the likes .. they'd rather go for the theory or management based courses.. it's not their fault na,its just so they will have time for themselves. wink ..

Today, there are more opportunities available to girls. Organisations such as the World Academy of Science, the Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World, L’Oreal for Women in Science, the Elsevier Foundation, and the British CouncilGhana all have awards, recognition and fellowships specifically for girls and women. The Visiola Foundationalso provides scholarships for girls to study STEM, and an annual week-long STEM Summer Camp to pique the interest of women in the STEM fields from an early age.

You can add yours
just passing
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by AMISCOT(m): 8:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
it's not their thing. Once u are in, gossip eliminated
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by maduxs: 8:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
Most engineers are theoretical engineers

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by nnadychuks(m): 8:09pm On Apr 10, 2016
Ah.. Its true but the no5 is false.. Girls dey finish us with maths that year, buh for physics,fmaths and chemistry na we guys.. Even some boys still fear maths that year

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by MosquitoLaps(m): 8:09pm On Apr 10, 2016
grin Wait until MathsChic sees this.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by lanxlot(m): 8:10pm On Apr 10, 2016
maduxs:
O
for Oshobeh
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Seunpaul01(m): 8:10pm On Apr 10, 2016
Females are too weak to deal with engines.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Emu4life(m): 8:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
k
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by hucienda: 8:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
The babes that eventually do brave it tho are men...

To the female engineers out there, #HatsOff
cool

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Marley01(m): 8:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
Who tiff my jerry can?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by kodlins(f): 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2016
Hian
What a reason!
Proudly an Engineer
xolocious:
They r meant to b supportive to men and engineering courses doesn't provide them with such opportunities and privileges. they r better-of with social science and art course. their life span in engineering field is also short and at such, it makes no sense studying a course they know it's life span on their path is short. no b Dia fault sha.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months / The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria / I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.