Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,112 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses (26256 Views)

Best Universities In Nigeria 2018 To Study Engineering Courses / Best Engineering Courses To Study In Nigeria 2018 / Will Unical Offer Admission Into Engineering Courses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Dfinex(f): 9:57pm On Apr 10, 2016
illmatic101:
I think I prefer them dating we engineers grin

sure!! it's better dating the engineer than being the engineer. ....feels awkward wearing those rough jeans, safety boots and helmet. ...when I'm supposed to be feeling cute in my hot skirts or leggings. .
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by gbengarock: 9:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
good write-up but they end up deciding how much you earn at the end of the month...Wu STEM EPP?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Opeade939(f): 10:00pm On Apr 10, 2016
When you're through deceiving urself.....kindly tell me......
anochuko01:
Them wan die nii?
Its either you stay and loss your feminism or you go away!
And most ladies can't sacrifice that much! cheesy

I rep Mech engine!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Opeade939(f): 10:02pm On Apr 10, 2016
Funny enough,am studying met&mat engineering,what about that
Godsonkemz:
The courses are so tedious and demands physical fitness and creative abilities and could be frustrating if you lack physical fitness. Its masculine in nature considering the practical experience though some women are rising up to face the tougher challenges. Some courses like Mechanical, Metmat and Civil engineering are still beyond their capacity. The word 'what a man can do, a woman can do likewise' is not applicable here in most cases.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by phameous: 10:14pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:
Them wan die nii?

I rep Mech engine!

#myopic..

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Opeade939(f): 10:16pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
Many of us in the science field and beyond know the imbalance happening in the STEM(Science Technology Engineering &Mathematics) courses.. gender imbalance!
... Many of us have noticed that their are few females in the areas,when you step into an average engineering department, or technology department, you could count the number of females in these courses as opposed to other female-populated courses like Business Admin,Medical courses, Arts and etcetera.
Which leads one to ask—Why?
..Well ponder no more, here are the obvious reasons why there are few females in STEM courses. Enjoy!
1.STEM courses are too long This is a known fact,to study a course like engineering,technology,one is required to spend at least 5 years in school, and this opposes females because an average female will wanna get married as an undergraduate and even have kids, and as a result, they'd rather go for shorter courses in the social sciences,arts or business.
2.STEM courses are male dominated :Obviously! These set of courses are usually male dominated, e.g. Engineering. So for a girl to apply for theses set of courses,it would mean breaking away from the social norm of "girls going for arts and boys for STEM"
. In fact,some girls in these departments usually feel obliged to dress masculine, avoid putting on earrings, so as to avoid feeling so feminine in the midst of males. A girl will rather identify with the social norm and not want to feel odd.
3.There are few female role-models in these fields :Convincing a female to go for STEM courses will be like convincing a lion to eat grass,because there ain't much female role models that one can look up to. This discourages an average female, outside the schools,its a male dominated industry too. So? That's the consequence!
4.STEM courses are expensive :Like it or not! when you're going for a Technology or Engineering course,you will be required to pay more! And for a lower middle-class economy like Nigeria's, it will be a struggle. I've seen many students struggling to pay fees,the stress of having to work and study at the same time in order to pay fees,buy textbooks, and other expenses connected with the courses is something so daunting. As a result many females are discouraged cuz they sure can't handle the stress! Men are tough na grin grin
5. Many girls are afraid of mathematics and calculations : This is something you discover right from your days in secondary school, a lotta girls shiver whenever they encounter mathematics or any calculations grin.. we boys use this as a pretext to get that fine girl in our class/department wink lol... Consequently, many girls will rather avoid calculative courses and the likes .. they'd rather go for the theory or management based courses.. it's not their fault na,its just so they will have time for themselves. wink ..

Today, there are more opportunities available to girls. Organisations such as the World Academy of Science, the Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World, L’Oreal for Women in Science, the Elsevier Foundation, and the British CouncilGhana all have awards, recognition and fellowships specifically for girls and women. The Visiola Foundationalso provides scholarships for girls to study STEM, and an annual week-long STEM Summer Camp to pique the interest of women in the STEM fields from an early age.

You can add yours
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Opeade939(f): 10:20pm On Apr 10, 2016
@point1,2&5 are so offpoint,why will i feel obliged to stop wearing earrings just because engineering course ' is male dominated abi'.You follow whatever you have passion for.
CaptainECole:
Many of us in the science field and beyond know the imbalance happening in the STEM(Science Technology Engineering &Mathematics) courses.. gender imbalance!
... Many of us have noticed that their are few females in the areas,when you step into an average engineering department, or technology department, you could count the number of females in these courses as opposed to other female-populated courses like Business Admin,Medical courses, Arts and etcetera.
Which leads one to ask—Why?
..Well ponder no more, here are the obvious reasons why there are few females in STEM courses. Enjoy!
1.STEM courses are too long This is a known fact,to study a course like engineering,technology,one is required to spend at least 5 years in school, and this opposes females because an average female will wanna get married as an undergraduate and even have kids, and as a result, they'd rather go for shorter courses in the social sciences,arts or business.
2.STEM courses are male dominated :Obviously! These set of courses are usually male dominated, e.g. Engineering. So for a girl to apply for theses set of courses,it would mean breaking away from the social norm of "girls going for arts and boys for STEM"
. In fact,some girls in these departments usually feel obliged to dress masculine, avoid putting on earrings, so as to avoid feeling so feminine in the midst of males. A girl will rather identify with the social norm and not want to feel odd.
3.There are few female role-models in these fields :Convincing a female to go for STEM courses will be like convincing a lion to eat grass,because there ain't much female role models that one can look up to. This discourages an average female, outside the schools,its a male dominated industry too. So? That's the consequence!
4.STEM courses are expensive :Like it or not! when you're going for a Technology or Engineering course,you will be required to pay more! And for a lower middle-class economy like Nigeria's, it will be a struggle. I've seen many students struggling to pay fees,the stress of having to work and study at the same time in order to pay fees,buy textbooks, and other expenses connected with the courses is something so daunting. As a result many females are discouraged cuz they sure can't handle the stress! Men are tough na grin grin
5. Many girls are afraid of mathematics and calculations : This is something you discover right from your days in secondary school, a lotta girls shiver whenever they encounter mathematics or any calculations grin.. we boys use this as a pretext to get that fine girl in our class/department wink lol... Consequently, many girls will rather avoid calculative courses and the likes .. they'd rather go for the theory or management based courses.. it's not their fault na,its just so they will have time for themselves. wink ..

Today, there are more opportunities available to girls. Organisations such as the World Academy of Science, the Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World, L’Oreal for Women in Science, the Elsevier Foundation, and the British CouncilGhana all have awards, recognition and fellowships specifically for girls and women. The Visiola Foundationalso provides scholarships for girls to study STEM, and an annual week-long STEM Summer Camp to pique the interest of women in the STEM fields from an early age.

You can add yours

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 10:22pm On Apr 10, 2016
phameous:

#myopic..
Opeade939:
When you're through deceiving urself.....kindly tell me......

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 10:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
Opeade939:
Funny enough,am studying met&mat engineering,what about that
Met&mat? Thats not pure engineering...more like science
Civil, mechanical, electrical... Those are traditional engineering courses.
Even computer engineering is a step brother to them grin
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by phameous: 10:28pm On Apr 10, 2016
[quote author=anochuko01 post=44589435][/quote]

No nau...I just dey feel for u. Cuz evn as u claimed to be enlightened u stil
think dat way (seeing engrng as one big deal for ladies)

Am a petroleum engr (certified). We dont do noise.
wink

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Cutehector(m): 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2016
Because they don't like to calculate!
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by ReverseEngineer: 10:37pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:

Met&mat? Thats not pure engineering...more like science
Civil, mechanical, electrical... Those are traditional engineering courses.
Even computer engineering is a step brother to them grin
Stop sounding Like a student of performing Arts. Chemical Engineering is derived from none and is Totally independent. Meanwhile, how many Engineering courses do you think you're familiar with...
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by nizelgirl(f): 10:38pm On Apr 10, 2016
I'm sure any girl who is passionate about Engineering will not even have time to considers all these. As for me one of the best decisions I've made in life is being an Engineer and am so glad about it. (Though it wasn't easy,but God saw me through)
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 10:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
phameous:

No nau...I just dey feel for u. Cuz evn as u claimed to be enlightened u stil
think dat way (seeing engrng as one big deal for ladies)

Am a petroleum engr (certified). We dont do noise.
wink
Lol...its obvious lady
What's the ratio of ladies to male engineers...
If Na sectariat studies now, I no go argue...
In my final year we had just six females in a class of sixty something. Even those six sef, three of them be tomboy grin
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by phameous: 10:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Cutehector:
Because they don't like to calculate!

Na all guys like calculations??
I just hate it wen pple generalize jare.....makes no sense
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by phameous: 10:48pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:

Lol...its obvious lady
What's the ratio of ladies to male engineers...
If Na sectariat studies now, I no go argue...
In my final year we had just six females in a class of sixty something. Even those six sef, three of them be tomboy grin

I gerrit tho.....but derz never enough reason to "generalize"
Op shudnt just sit in one corner, observe his sisters and den assume every oda is d same.
The part dat is even "madding" (if at al derz any english like dat) me is his useles and pointles option of "stem courses are expensive" mtcheew..
He reali needs help

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 10:54pm On Apr 10, 2016
ReverseEngineer:
Stop sounding Like a student of performing Arts. Chemical Engineering is derived from none and is Totally independent. Meanwhile, how many Engineering courses do you think you're familiar with...
Go read up the history of engineering lady. it began with civil and mechanical.
And While mechanical and civil deal with machinaries and structures, other ''engineering'' courses deal more with smaller components and lab work. That's my point!
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 10:55pm On Apr 10, 2016
phameous:

I gerrit tho.....but derz never enough reason to "generalize"
Op shudnt just sit in one corner, observe his sisters and den assume every oda is d same.
The part dat is even "madding" (if at al derz any english like dat) me is his useles and pointles option of "stem courses are expensive" mtcheew..
He reali needs help
Lol...money is never an issue. More ladies do law and medicine which are relatively more expensive when compared to engineering.
No mind op

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by ReverseEngineer: 11:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:

Go read up the history of engineering lady. it began with civil and mechanical.
And While mechanical and civil deal with machinaries and structures, other ''engineering'' courses deal more with smaller components and lab work. That's my point!
What's this one saying? Industrial Reactors and Large scale plants are "Smaller components"? And why did you throw that Engineering in quotation marks? You sure have no Idea of this advancing field of Engineering .. What's he even saying that Some Engineering deals with Labwork? What Engineering field doesn't carry out Simulation of models before prototype testing? Or you think the mechanical plant you see isn't a product of scaled up lab work? Or that Cantilever along the road wasn't simulated in the lab for mechanical strength via Fluid mechanics analysis? Look, Chemical Engineering even has to do with more massive apparatus and Process Units (on an industrial scale and not at lab). That Civil was the next after military Engineering means nothing. Chemical Engineering is independent And wasn't derived from another. Please pick up books and read before disgracing Engineers publicly.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 11:19pm On Apr 10, 2016
ReverseEngineer:
What's this one saying? Industrial Reactors and Large scale plants are "Smaller components"? And why did you throw that Engineering in quotation marks? You sure have no Idea of this advancing field of Engineering .. What's he even saying that Some Engineering deals with Labwork? What Engineering field doesn't carry out Simulation of models before prototype testing? Or you think the mechanical plant you see isn't a product of scaled up lab work? Or that Cantilever along the road wasn't simulated in the lab for mechanical strength via Fluid mechanics analysis? Look, Chemical Engineering even has to do with more massive apparatus and Process Units (on an industrial scale and not at lab). That Civil was the next after military Engineering means nothing. Chemical Engineering is independent And wasn't derived from another. Please pick up books and read before disgracing Engineers publicly.
Madam...cool down grin take it easy...
Due to whatever reason, regardless of the branch of engineering, we've still got more guys doing it. That's what the argument was all about undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Norajones(f): 11:23pm On Apr 10, 2016
Meant for mean ugly gals. U need to go to any engineering dept and see what I'm talking about.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Reeberry: 11:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
BizBloke:
I could only absolutely agree with #4, excluding the last three sentences in that point and this punctures my absolute agreement. But it's the point that makes sense the most.

The rest are relatively flawed or relatively okay. I strongly feel they apply to both genders. No exclusivity. It's inclusive.

What is the meaning of what this one posted?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by AreaFada2: 11:57pm On Apr 10, 2016
missyadorable:
I don't quite agree with point 1.

Nursing is 5 years

Medicine and surgery is 6years and more

Law is 5 years

Pharmacy is 5 years

And there are a whole lot of females studying these courses.

I think it's the technicality of STEM courses and the fact that most of its jobs require physical energy, that scares women away from it

Even that is not entirely correct. Does cardiothoracic/cardiovascular or orthopaedic surgery not demand reasonable physical fitness?
I see women doing them with aplomb.

Maths is not also the real deal. I remember one girl sometimes dusting me in maths in primary school. I think it's about image. STEM are relatively masculine & unsexy. cheesy grin

Let's get more people like Omosexy into STEM and see more babes flooding in.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by tdayof(m): 1:23am On Apr 11, 2016
My school has a lot of female engineering students... tho not up to the male populations... However trust me when I say they are also brilliant. Tho in my own department Aerospace engineering we have got just 7 girls.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by NobleAngell(f): 1:36am On Apr 11, 2016
lodscott:

*seriously checking your profile
Whyyyyyyyyyyy ?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Revolva(m): 2:05am On Apr 11, 2016
grin grin they just dont have the brains dats all....ok..
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:21am On Apr 11, 2016
anochuko01:
Them wan die nii?

I rep Mech engine!
naa... some of us are best of both worlds. grin wink
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:23am On Apr 11, 2016
xolocious:
They r meant to b supportive to men and engineering courses doesn't provide them with such opportunities and privileges. they r better-of with social science and art course. their life span in engineering field is also short and at such, it makes no sense studying a course they know it's life span on their path is short. no b Dia fault sha.
what is this one saying? Girls top Engineering classes now. Social sciences koor. Lol
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by BizBloke(m): 5:31am On Apr 11, 2016
Reeberry:

What is the meaning of what this one posted?
The meaning is learn to read; it's just six sentences.
Have a good day.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by franko4don(m): 7:58am On Apr 11, 2016
@OP other medical courses consume as much years as STEM courses. For example Medcine and surgery, medical laboratory.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 11, 2016
It is too early to comment on nairaland but here goes....

The only valid point you have is no 3.
I wanted to study engineering (and was admitted for elect/elect ) purely because 2 of my brothers read engineering. It was as simple as that - they were (and are still cool) and I wanted to be like them. If those brothers had read medicine for instance then I would have probably never considered engineering as a course.

Still spent 5 years in uni and maths was the least of my problems- it is a very rational course and would rather do a maths course than a theory course which is open to interpretation. Engineering costs same as other maths science courses in my alma mater.

To point 2. Women do enjoy being the center of attention and what better way than to be a fine brainy chick in an engineering class.

So in conclusion - more role models for women in stem is all that is required.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 11, 2016
Dfinex:

sure!! it's better dating the engineer than being the engineer. ....feels awkward wearing those rough jeans, safety boots and helmet. ...when I'm supposed to be feeling cute in my hot skirts or leggings. .
this girl ehn grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Helicopter Drops Nigerian Law School's Exam Papers / My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) / Longest Notes In Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.