Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. (8260 Views)

7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Ombudsman123: 12:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
For the average graduate, the corporate world is the ultimate dream, what with all the flashy cars, designer suits and blazers laced with perfumes & cologne from the stables of renowned labels, worn & paraded by corporate managers.
The fascination is so strong that immediately after graduation, preparatory for the national youth service scheme, the assistance of uncles, aunties, pastors, imams and whoever has relevant links are solicited to facilitate deployment to corporate offices so as to enhance ones chances of getting retained at the end of the service year.
Unknown to these prospective employees, a lot happens behind the glitz and glamor of these corporate offices that will make one shudder in disbelief that these seeming eldorado is capable of generating such intense intrigues, scheming, blackmail, manipulations & other Machiavellian unscrupulousness as to render what happens in the political arena a child’s play.
As expected in every human organization, there must be leadership to provide strategic direction and focus to enable the realization of corporate aims and objectives. But most times, the processes leading to the emergence of these leaders leaves much to be desired; they are structured in such a way as to make beneficiaries of coveted positions always looking behind their shoulders and seeing everyone as threats.
And so to get into the top management echelon, managers position themselves to enhance their chances of occupying strategic positions. Some might do this through hard work and unparaled dedication to duties while others do so by mere scheming and playing to the gallery. To these later group, everything fair & foul must be thrown into the fray to clinch the desired position. And so one could find that these ‘mafia’ managers often deploys deceptive and ruthless measures in their bid by doing the following;
Recruitment of ‘foot soldiers’
Deliberate efforts are made to recruit or influence the employment of ‘trusted’ relations or people from the same ethnic origin/tribe. The idea is to position them to serve as support base in the execution of hidden personal agenda to get to the top.

Divide and rule tactics
This is the trade mark of these managers, unnecessary dichotomy and frictions are silently created to foster the mentality of ‘them vs us’ in the work environment. The idea here is to generate mutual distrust among staff and engender a corporate culture of secrecy and docility among staff members. For those in the camp of the mafia managers, mouthwatering opportunities by way of promotion and training will be enjoyed while those seen as ‘outsiders’ are treated with disdain.

Playing to the gallery
In a bid to cosmetically outshine others, especially during operational/strategic meetings, the mafia manager always want to be the ‘bride in every wedding and the corpse in every funeral’…… they crave attention and publicity even when points being marshalled during these meetings falls below the average expected. For them, they must be heard and all kinds of drama will be put up to score cheap political points.

Planting of ‘moles’
To underscore their sense of insecurity, moles, from trusted allies will be planted in the imaginary enemy camp to gather and relay ‘sensitive’ information to them. They are always interfering in other department’s work schedules, they want to know every bit of what happens per second in all departments. The idea is to generate enough dossier/arsenal which they aim to unleash against perceived enemies on the day of reckoning.

Back biting/blackmailing
To make others look bad and unacceptable, especially those they considered as imminent threats to whatever positions sought for, campaigns of calumny and deliberate misrepresentations are usually launched and made to get to decision makers. During these periods, falsehoods and distortion of facts becomes their pastime. In the process, bright career prospects of hardworking staff are destroyed, disarticulated and frustrated.

At the end, the shareholders are the ultimate losers as trusts are eroded, hard work, dedication, value creation and addition are sacrificed on the altar of office politics. Staff members are made to go with the belief and impression that what matters in the scheme of things is the camp you belonged to and not necessarily your skills and the latent values you have that would have lifted the company.

To be sure, the prevalence on this misnomer in every corporate office is not a matter for contention, as they do exist, albeit in various degrees and intensity. While the ones with less degree appear progressive & more focused, the ones with higher degree, without any shred of doubt tends to be stagnant as valuable times are wasted abandoning an ‘ozo’ title (read: strategizing & playing in the big league) for a sacrifice at the ‘agwu’ shrine (read: indulging in mere gossips, scheming & plotting for the downfall of imaginary enemies)
http://daveokenwa..com.ng/

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Blitz888(m): 6:40am On Apr 15, 2016
A timely piece that aptly captures the intrigues, shenanigans, devious schemings and subtle maneuvers that defines corporate life today.
I am resuming at a new office today and I am poised to get ahead of the pack by hardwork, diligence and unparallel dedication to my job.

The fact is that '' if you're not getting better, you're getting worse'' no one stays in the same place for long. - Brian Tracy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by lollmaolol(m): 6:40am On Apr 15, 2016
The backbiting & gossip no get part 2

8 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by samtee37(m): 6:43am On Apr 15, 2016
Interesting tongue
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Nobody: 6:46am On Apr 15, 2016
Some politicians sef go turn learner to some of the things dat go on in some corporate organisations

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Kx: 6:48am On Apr 15, 2016
Nice piece.
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by ednut1(m): 6:48am On Apr 15, 2016
most times d ass lickers get to d top others are frustrated out of d system. most receptionist/PA/ secretaries have extra job roles -warming ogas bed. sighs

6 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by ochiosa(m): 6:49am On Apr 15, 2016
It's corporate/office politics is either u get involve or u remain stagnant, most ppl that get rapid promotion or head juicy department s are not always the best.

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Chikpat(m): 6:50am On Apr 15, 2016
Okk. I didnt have time to read that but I knw wateva u ve up there z true.

Na wah o

Its well o

Okk

E go beta for corporate world o

Now the discussion has started!

Yea

Just feelin lyk mysef.

Saraki don resign?
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:50am On Apr 15, 2016
Office politics is not bad on its own, but in Nigeria it means leaking your boss' behind.

If you work in this part of the world, you have to learn to do it or you either remain stagnant or get fired during appraisals.

It has affected me in the several places I 've worked, but it's just not me to do anything outside what is official. It's a choice I 've made.

Ps: that backbiting and blackmailing seems to be their biggest tool in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Nobody: 6:52am On Apr 15, 2016
Very true

1 Like

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by yemmie(m): 6:57am On Apr 15, 2016
Academic brillance nor high IQ can earn you a spot at pyramid top.

One thing for sure will, "street savvy met with sheer intelligence" will be your selling point.

The first few years in the corporate world is keeping your head low to learn and understand the work( profession) and culture.

After 5 years, visibility and having a voice. You haven proven to be dependable.

Year 5-7,niche and let managers want you at their side, practically managers fight for you without you scheming.

Year 7- 10, your voice becoming more firm, walk the talk, dress up like management staff and build your own crew. Year 10 onwards, bring your street savvy to the table to outwit rivals for the top job(s). However, make sure you prove yourself as a very good team leader, cabal leader, lead engineer or anything lead within year 9-10.

Cheers

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Funminicrown: 7:03am On Apr 15, 2016
The truth is_ POLITICS is everywhere. It emanates from the family to school, organizations and the macro society.
The negative effects of politics at workplace can never be under-emphasized. This has led to ineffectiveness, inefficiency, dereliction of duty, Nepotism, red-tapism and above all shortages which consequently erupt into liquidation.
The bottom-line is that a country's, organization's or society's economic level can never grow/rise beyond it's educational level.
These political gladiators at the forefront of our corporate firms got there through the backdoor and they won't leave until replacements are made through same channels and the chain continue.
I pray God help us all!

1 Like

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by fasho01(m): 7:10am On Apr 15, 2016
The planting of 'moles' and several others boils down to insecurity on the part of the bosses cos if they were doing their jobs properly, that won't be necessary.

As for gossiping and back biting, that seems to be in the job description of all employees
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Stanbeto: 7:19am On Apr 15, 2016
Office Politics arlaming Danger to Co-operate world
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Horlawale1(m): 7:21am On Apr 15, 2016
Am here to learn
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by sunch(m): 7:23am On Apr 15, 2016
It is always battle for survival and the fittest. You are require to arm urself by developing urself academically and spiritually. Also you need godfather to thrive in the corporate world.

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Jcob(m): 7:24am On Apr 15, 2016
I clicked on Reply button and I forgot what I wanted to type. Kai

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Caracta(f): 7:25am On Apr 15, 2016
To benefit from office politics, don't pledge allegiance to the ruling party or opposition. Play both sides of the game. Be very smart. The ruling party today could be thrown out tomorrow.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by mrhello: 7:26am On Apr 15, 2016
Good write up.

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by freecocoa(f): 7:26am On Apr 15, 2016
You'll be surprised at the length people go, just to be in the boss's good book, there's hardly any professionalism in these parts. It's such a shame.

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by darkenkach(m): 7:31am On Apr 15, 2016
Ever notice how some mediocre employees rise while
more competent ones languish? Often, it's because they
know how to play office politics.
I know, I know. You'd like to think you can succeed
purely on your merits. In some offices you can, but in
many others, you must know how to play the game.
You just have to learn how to play it without selling your soul. But I don't office politics is bad.

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Teespice(f): 7:33am On Apr 15, 2016
office politics is something I dread the most.

hearing the tales of a friend of mine who works in a law firm where the office politics thrives, it is not something I dabble in.

God help me when that time comes especially as I am the kind of person who would want to be overly friendly with everybody I work with. that thing can backfire seriously.

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by mrhello: 7:35am On Apr 15, 2016
Thumb up!

2 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by sunch(m): 7:41am On Apr 15, 2016
Office politics is a must so that the mediocres wont outshines the brilliants. Seeking for recognition and promotion is the reason we find ourselves in that office, and protecting it is our sheer responsibility. Politics is indeed marketing and selling oneself at the expense of whoever.

3 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by eluquenson(m): 7:54am On Apr 15, 2016
That's a natural phenomenon for envy and preference to occur anywhere
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Akanaz(m): 7:55am On Apr 15, 2016
Yeah you are damn right
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Lilimax(f): 8:13am On Apr 15, 2016
So apt @ OP
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Lilimax(f): 8:14am On Apr 15, 2016
Blitz888:
A timely piece that aptly captures the intrigues, shenanigans, devious schemings and subtle maneuvers that defines corporate life today.
I am resuming at a new office today and I am poised to get ahead of the pack by hardwork, diligence and unparallel dedication to my job.

The fact is that '' if you're not getting better, you're getting worse'' no one stays in the same place for long. - Brian Tracy

Congrat!
Remember to apply The Rule for Work when you get there smiley
May I use this medium to share what I learn't from the Book The Rules for Work authored by Richard Templar
1) Walk your Talk: Develop a style that gets you noticed, never stand still, carve a niche for yourself and develop the right attitude.
2) Know that you're being judged at all times: Dress well, cultivate a smile, be attractive, speak well, write well, Exude confidence and energy, pay attention to personal grooming...
3) Have a plan: Know what you want long term, study the promotion system, develop a game plan, set objectives, know your role, anticipate threats, look for opportunities
4)If i can;t say anything nice, shut up! : Don't gossip, Don't bi!tch, Stand up for others, compliment people sincerely, use 'please' and 'thank you', Don't swear, Be a good listener, only speak sense.
5) Look after yourself: know the ethics of your industry, Never lie, never cover up for anyone else, Keep records, Cultivate your support/Contacts/friends
6) Blend in:know the corporate culture, Speak the language, Dress up or down accordingly, Understand the herd mentality...etc smiley

7 Likes

Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by jerusalem101: 8:38am On Apr 15, 2016
This piece of edifying rendition is what is evident in all faces of the Nigerian Society today, it has become a culture that can't be relegate on the alter of handwork and transparency. May God bless you for this.
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Blitz888(m): 8:41am On Apr 15, 2016
Lilimax:
Congrat!
Remember to apply The Rule for Work when you get there smiley
May I use this medium to share what I learn't from the Book The Rules for Work authored by Richard Templar
1) Walk your Talk: Develop a style that gets you noticed, never stand still, carve a niche fot yourself and develop the right attitude.
2) Know that you're being judged at all times: Dress well, cultivate a smile, be attractive, speak well, write well, Exude confidence and energy, pay attention to personal grooming...
3) Have a plan: Know what you want long term, study the promotion system, develop a game plan, set objectives, know your role, anticipate threats, look for opportunities
4)If i can;t say anything nice, shut up! : Don't gossip, Don't bitch, Stand up for others, compliment people sincerely, use 'please' and 'thank you', Don't swear, Be a good listener, only speak sense.
5) Look after yourself: know the ethics of your industry, Never lie, never cover up for anyone else, Keep records, Cultivate your support/Contacts/friends
6) Blend in:know the corporate culture, Speak the language, Dress up or down accordingly, Understand the herd mentality...etc smiley

Thanks abunch dear.
I have had that book since 2013 and funny thing is that I am yet to read it... Now I must read it after the one I am presently on.. No Excuse by Brian Tracy.
Thanks again.
Re: OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. by Mekyno(m): 8:58am On Apr 15, 2016
yemmie:
Academic brillance nor high IQ can earn you a spot at pyramid top.

One thing for sure will, "street savvy met with sheer intelligence" will be your selling point.

The first few years in the corporate world is keeping your head low to learn and understand the work( profession) and culture.

After 5 years, visibility and having a voice. You haven proven to be dependable.

Year 5-7,niche and let managers want you at their side, practically managers fight for you without you scheming.

Year 7- 10, your voice becoming more firm, walk the talk, dress up like management staff and build your own crew. Year 10 onwards, bring your street savvy to the table to outwit rivals for the top job(s). However, make sure you prove yourself as a very good team leader, cabal leader, lead engineer or anything lead within year 9-10.

Cheers

i can see, u be one big political/cabal leader in ur office.....lol.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exxonmobil Faults Picketing Of Its Offices By Former Staff / Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? / Question And Answers For Oil And Gas Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.