Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 (11400 Views)

What The Inside Of Infinix Hot 3(x554) And Tecno Boom J7 Look Like / Pictures From The Boom J8 Launch In Lagos / Tecno Boom J8 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Marvell23(m): 4:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
Tecno mobile recently launched the Boom J8 in the Country. When you look at the Boom J8, you will agree with me that the Boom J8 is a complete upgrade in almost all departments compared to its predecessor. I bought a unit of the device, so I will be reviewing the black version of the device.

The amazing camera

The Tecno Boom J8 features a powerful 13MP back camera. This camera has many additional features that help to make it perfect for photo lovers. Like HDR mode, guidelines, Delay capture, preview size, gesture shot and GPS location. But it doesn’t have the full usual manual setting mode but photos still come out very good. It features a 5.0MP front camera for selfies and video calls. To take a good natural selfie photo, always un-tick the beautification icon on the camera, because if you don’t your photos will look like it’s been edited, but some people will still find it helpful.
Check out the photos I took with the rear camera.

The 13mp shooter takes great and quality photos both day and night. The photo depth is even better than the camera centric camon C8 as you can see from those photos above. I have cropped those photos but they still look very good. I also love the new UI of the camera, low-light photography is now better than before. Many people have been clamoring for the camera reviews, this I believe will put an end to the controversy going on whether the camera is good or not. Judge for yourself

Fluidity and screen responsiveness

When it comes to fluidity and screen responsiveness, many phone makers are really still lagging behind. Tecno mobile has really impressed me with their recent devices like camon c8, phantom 5 and the newly launched Boom J8. This is the best midrange device from Tecno Mobile so far. I compared the screen responsiveness of the three of them; the Phantom 5 was ahead while the boom J8 came second. Tecno Boom J8 is very fluid and smooth thanks to the new android skin; HiOS from Tecno mobile. Apps open very fast on the Boom j8 and I didn’t experience any lag while using the device. I heard some people complained about the responsivenes of their unit ,it might be a software problem though, probably a system update should fix that.

Gaming Reviews

The Tecno J8 is powered by 1.3GHz quadcore processor. This 64Bit Cortex-A53 Mediatek processor is supported by 2GB of RAM and the graphics is handled by Mali T720 which is decent enough to handle most of the heavy games for game lovers. This hardware configuration makes the Tecno Boom J8 a decent phone for multitasking. It runs on Android 5.1 Lollipop but upgradable to android 6.0 marshmallow.

I tested few games like FIFA 16, Temple run, Tennis 3D, candy crush and they all run smoothly; no lag was experienced, so it’s pretty good for gaming.

Design and display

This phone is designed with simplicity and beauty firmly in mind. It’s a complete departure from Tecno’s midrange devices in the past. Lots of people were comparing it with the IPhone 6s plus, the fact is the device shares some resemblances with the iPhone but when you look at it closely, Tecno Boom J8 is slimmer and easier to hold than the IPhone 6s plus.

Perfect Hold in one hand

Tecno Boom J8 is slim and so easy to hold with your hands unlike the Iphone 6s plus that is weightier and mostly operated with two hands. Many people will find this device easy to use especially if you are the types that multitask a lot. You can operate it with one hand while driving, working on your PC and lot more

I have the black colour of the Boom J8 which I believe is the cutest with this matte finished with touch of texture on it. It makes holding it so easy and also catches attention of people easily. One can easily spot the expansive 5.5 inch IPS screen with about 78% screen to body ratio. This is lovely for watching videos and playing games, it also contributes to the general beauty and sexiness of the phone.
All Hail the Music King

Tecno Boom J8 is the first device from Tecno to use the Grammy award winning WAVES Maxx Audio. When I checked online i saw this about MaxxAudio; MaxxAudio is a suite of advanced audio enhancement tools from Waves that brings award-winning technologies to consumer electronics devices. MaxxAudio offers end-users unparalleled sound performance, whether they're playing a game, watching a movie, listening to music, or using online voice communication. With clearer highs, enhanced bass, and increased volume. Now, what sounded great in the studio will sound great on the go.

This phone boasts of quality audio output whether you are using the headphone that come with it or listening to songs on the phone’s speaker, thanks to the boom maxx equalizer. The boom maxx is so intelligent, it quickly detects the type of headphone you plug into the phone. You can imagine how the audio quality will be, when you have Boom Player and Boom Maxx working together for better audio experience. My unit came with a free Boom headphone and I was told that for every of the device purchased, a free Boom headphone will be given, which I believe is a good deal

I love the sound output from the phantom 5 headphone, it does the job so well. The speaker is well positioned on the device, which is similar to the way the Iphone 6s is positioned. Playing songs on the Boom J8 is something I can’t stop doing because the sound output is very good and there is this breathing light that dances as I play music on the device. This light also serves as notification light.

The Intuitive User interface, better performance

If there is one thing i will quickly notice about this phone, it’s the clean and intelligent user interface from Tecno. It’s called the HiOS. HiOS is very fast and it comes with lots of tweaks like changing the themes and Fonts, customizing the Folders and lots more. This android skin is based on android 5.1 lollipops, I expect to see android marshmallow but the device still runs smoothly. HiOS is 60% faster than most user interfaces and is quite intuitive, customizable and easily navigated

Performance

I run the popular benchmarking app, antutu benchmark 6.0.1 on it to reveal the hardware and software specifications, and the results were decent when compared to devices on the same range. The device has the recent 64bit MediaTek 6735 ARM Cortex- A53 architecture with openGL ES 3.1 as against 2.0 and 3.0 on some devices. The advantages of the openGL ES 3.1 are enormous over the older versions. It enhances 3D graphics and from the developer’s point of view, what used to work well on desktop computer will now be possible on mobile. See the results below

Battery

The phone came with 3000mAh battery and it also charges really fast because I get like 70% battery within an hour of charging it. The battery served me full day on normal usage but one may have to charge one more in case you are a heavy user but the battery really delivers to its full capacity. On a day i listen to songs for about 3hrs, play games for like 1hrs , browse the internet for most part of the day and used it as my primary calling phone, by the close of work my battery is already about 30%, so i need to charge at home

Lest I forget the battery is irremovable and tightly well packed on the device. The HiOS is very light and clean which I believe has been well optimized to help reduce battery consumption on the Boom J8 because I have used some android devices with 3000mAh battery that have poor battery life. It’s not about the amount of mAh, optimization is key.

In conclusion, Tecno Boom J8 is not only a good music smartphone; it is also a very good smartphone with great specs suitable for business and photography. It performs really well in most of the aspects I tested and for a phone that cost just N41, 000; it’s a good value for money.
I bought mine at 3CHUB in Ikeja.

Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Darkseid(m): 4:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
Can you post a picture of the available sensors using cpuz app.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by OnyeAraNdiIgbo(f): 5:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
This is a high ANTUTU score oooo
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Marinza(m): 5:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
Okay seems the camera is legitly epic. This Is the second time I am seeing a crisp clear picture from this phone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by mrprezident007(m): 5:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
The pictures look quite sleek, but I would have loved if you compared the TECNO j8 with another device @Op.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by TohKunBoh: 5:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
I love the car view...isn't it too Bright for just a 40k phone? shocked
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Marvell23(m): 6:04pm On Apr 12, 2016
mrprezident007:
The pictures look quite sleek, but I would have loved if you compared the TECNO j8 with another device @Op.
which device?
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Maximum83: 6:07pm On Apr 12, 2016
This is an in depth review but I will Like op to show us more pix taken with the phone
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Frontier2: 6:11pm On Apr 12, 2016
I like this personal reviews more than the generalized one on the net @op it seems the battery is not that powerful
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by olayinkajnr(m): 6:13pm On Apr 12, 2016
Marvell23, nice review but if you don't mind, can u Pls show an ss of the HiOS UI? Settings, dialer, contacts, file manager, boom player and the notification pane??
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Orator2383: 6:22pm On Apr 12, 2016
Chai my phone is still running on openGL Es 2.1 and is still 32 bit. Pls what's the implication of that?
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Godswillnwaoma(m): 6:26pm On Apr 12, 2016
More review please
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Nwokoji1: 6:56pm On Apr 12, 2016
Wow, I Love the Camera. So So Sharp
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
OnyeAraNdiIgbo:
no its not shocked lipsrsealed
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by topradar4(f): 6:59pm On Apr 12, 2016
OnyeAraNdiIgbo:

Please What's ANTUTU?
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by augster(m): 7:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
Darkseid:
Can you post a picture of the available sensors using cpuz app.
See as op stylishly dodge this.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Zannx(m): 8:11pm On Apr 12, 2016
My jiayu s3 adv still beats it
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by BustScam: 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
When I wrote a review about this, a lot of you were saying all sorts now another person writes his
obinoscopy, lalasticlala I am justified beyond reasonable doubt
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by enoch273: 10:01pm On Apr 12, 2016
Great device, I am currently rocking it
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Orator2383: 10:13pm On Apr 12, 2016
BustScam:
When I wrote a review about this, a lot of you were saying all sorts now another person writes his
obinoscopy, lalasticlala I am justified beyond reasonable doubt
. Lol truth is bitter. In case it hits fp lemme comment.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by thatintrovert: 10:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
For a phone that worths #41000 and it's camera is as clear as this and a 3000m/ah battery I'd say it's worth it

1 Like

Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by saxby(f): 7:23am On Apr 13, 2016
thatintrovert:
For a phone that worths #41000 and it's camera is as clear as this and a 3000m/ah battery I'd say it's worth it

You just took the words out of my mouth... See how clear the camera is abeg
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Chuksteric(m): 7:53am On Apr 13, 2016
Flexing mine
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Dam5reey(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2016
Poor Antutu benchmark 32k is a low end phone.....
64 bit CPU, running 32 bit OS rubbish...
Android M all the way...

1 Like

Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Henrybright(m): 2:34pm On Apr 13, 2016
Enjoying the boom j8 ryt now
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by mrprezident007(m): 2:47pm On Apr 13, 2016
Is there no device in same category with the TECNO J8? If yes, then I bow for it's great features and pocket friendly price.
Marvell23:
which device?
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 13, 2016
topradar4:

Please What's ANTUTU?

It's a benchmark app
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by ForeverNew(f): 3:16pm On Apr 13, 2016
I couldn't agree more, the camera is quiet cool, when was the first time you saw it?
Marinza:
Okay seems the camera is legitly epic. This Is the second time I am seeing a crisp clear picture from this phone.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by ForeverNew(f): 3:18pm On Apr 13, 2016
I just google it grin
ollah1:

It's a benchmark app
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by oginineme(f): 3:40pm On Apr 13, 2016
Really?? Hello Chuks wink
Chuksteric:
Flexing mine
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by oginineme(f): 3:42pm On Apr 13, 2016
All you NLder guys that bought the TECNO J8 do you even know the meaning of ladies first? Show some love.
Henrybright:
Enjoying the boom j8 ryt now
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by omoalajah(m): 5:56pm On Apr 13, 2016
Wow. It plays FIFA so sleek. Me likey!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Infinix Mascot Design Challenge / How Many Calls Do You Receive In A Day? / Get Your Huawei New Algo Code To Unlock Stubborn Modems Like Mtn E303

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.