Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,579 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 (11420 Views)

What The Inside Of Infinix Hot 3(x554) And Tecno Boom J7 Look Like / Pictures From The Boom J8 Launch In Lagos / Tecno Boom J8 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:20am On Apr 30, 2016
Me too
360koncepts:
I love everything about this phone
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:21am On Apr 30, 2016
That's not d basic selling point
gingerman876:
2GB Ram is a selling point.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:22am On Apr 30, 2016
That's ur business
dancok:
From what am seeing the camera is clear but tecno has lost their name, I can't even take a second look at Techno phone talk less of buying it.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:24am On Apr 30, 2016
Shebi na you
tymajek:
THe black colour is ugly joor......I prefer the white a thousand times
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:24am On Apr 30, 2016
People are not smiling o
Maximum83:
But how come the phone is suddenly sold out in the market . many people are complaining they can't get it in the market.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Baadal(m): 9:24am On Apr 30, 2016
My brand new Tecno Boom J8 is still available... call 08025220285 if interested

Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:25am On Apr 30, 2016
Good for you
Damiandark01:
Currently using it and I must say I was not.dissapointed
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:25am On Apr 30, 2016
Me lovey grin grin grin
omoalajah:
Wow. It plays FIFA so sleek. Me likey!
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:27am On Apr 30, 2016
Who wouldn't love it
Nwokoji1:
Wow, I Love the Camera. So So Sharp
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by showlaw: 9:29am On Apr 30, 2016
Sorry, no vex
BustScam:
When I wrote a review about this, a lot of you were saying all sorts now another person writes his
obinoscopy, lalasticlala I am justified beyond reasonable doubt
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by TohKunBoh: 9:52am On Apr 30, 2016
showlaw:
How much should it be?
ionno man
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by enoch273: 12:28pm On Apr 30, 2016
showlaw:
Stop making us feel jealous

Sorry dear cheesy
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by bennito: 6:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
Recently bought the phone, am a bit disappointed as to the screen responsiveness. Quite irritating sometimes. Have to press some button twice or more before it responds. For those that are using it, is there any solution to the screen responsiveness issue.
Another question is about the soft keys, is there a way of adjusting the settings so that recent key brings up options for the app, while long pressing home key brings up recent tasks.
If I may ask again, is there any whatsapp group for the phone yet, if yes, please add 08039598611 & 07051757195
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by KCode: 6:51pm On Apr 30, 2016
Marvell23:

Tecno mobile recently launched the Boom J8 in the Country. When you look at the Boom J8, you will agree with me that the Boom J8 is a complete upgrade in almost all departments compared to its predecessor. I bought a unit of the device, so I will be reviewing the black version of the device.

The amazing camera

The Tecno Boom J8 features a powerful 13MP back camera. This camera has many additional features that help to make it perfect for photo lovers. Like HDR mode, guidelines, Delay capture, preview size, gesture shot and GPS location. But it doesn’t have the full usual manual setting mode but photos still come out very good. It features a 5.0MP front camera for selfies and video calls. To take a good natural selfie photo, always un-tick the beautification icon on the camera, because if you don’t your photos will look like it’s been edited, but some people will still find it helpful.
Check out the photos I took with the rear camera.

The 13mp shooter takes great and quality photos both day and night. The photo depth is even better than the camera centric camon C8 as you can see from those photos above. I have cropped those photos but they still look very good. I also love the new UI of the camera, low-light photography is now better than before. Many people have been clamoring for the camera reviews, this I believe will put an end to the controversy going on whether the camera is good or not. Judge for yourself

Fluidity and screen responsiveness

When it comes to fluidity and screen responsiveness, many phone makers are really still lagging behind. Tecno mobile has really impressed me with their recent devices like camon c8, phantom 5 and the newly launched Boom J8. This is the best midrange device from Tecno Mobile so far. I compared the screen responsiveness of the three of them; the Phantom 5 was ahead while the boom J8 came second. Tecno Boom J8 is very fluid and smooth thanks to the new android skin; HiOS from Tecno mobile. Apps open very fast on the Boom j8 and I didn’t experience any lag while using the device. I heard some people complained about the responsivenes of their unit ,it might be a software problem though, probably a system update should fix that.

Gaming Reviews

The Tecno J8 is powered by 1.3GHz quadcore processor. This 64Bit Cortex-A53 Mediatek processor is supported by 2GB of RAM and the graphics is handled by Mali T720 which is decent enough to handle most of the heavy games for game lovers. This hardware configuration makes the Tecno Boom J8 a decent phone for multitasking. It runs on Android 5.1 Lollipop but upgradable to android 6.0 marshmallow.

I tested few games like FIFA 16, Temple run, Tennis 3D, candy crush and they all run smoothly; no lag was experienced, so it’s pretty good for gaming.

Design and display

This phone is designed with simplicity and beauty firmly in mind. It’s a complete departure from Tecno’s midrange devices in the past. Lots of people were comparing it with the IPhone 6s plus, the fact is the device shares some resemblances with the iPhone but when you look at it closely, Tecno Boom J8 is slimmer and easier to hold than the IPhone 6s plus.

Perfect Hold in one hand

Tecno Boom J8 is slim and so easy to hold with your hands unlike the Iphone 6s plus that is weightier and mostly operated with two hands. Many people will find this device easy to use especially if you are the types that multitask a lot. You can operate it with one hand while driving, working on your PC and lot more

I have the black colour of the Boom J8 which I believe is the cutest with this matte finished with touch of texture on it. It makes holding it so easy and also catches attention of people easily. One can easily spot the expansive 5.5 inch IPS screen with about 78% screen to body ratio. This is lovely for watching videos and playing games, it also contributes to the general beauty and sexiness of the phone.
All Hail the Music King

Tecno Boom J8 is the first device from Tecno to use the Grammy award winning WAVES Maxx Audio. When I checked online i saw this about MaxxAudio; MaxxAudio is a suite of advanced audio enhancement tools from Waves that brings award-winning technologies to consumer electronics devices. MaxxAudio offers end-users unparalleled sound performance, whether they're playing a game, watching a movie, listening to music, or using online voice communication. With clearer highs, enhanced bass, and increased volume. Now, what sounded great in the studio will sound great on the go.

This phone boasts of quality audio output whether you are using the headphone that come with it or listening to songs on the phone’s speaker, thanks to the boom maxx equalizer. The boom maxx is so intelligent, it quickly detects the type of headphone you plug into the phone. You can imagine how the audio quality will be, when you have Boom Player and Boom Maxx working together for better audio experience. My unit came with a free Boom headphone and I was told that for every of the device purchased, a free Boom headphone will be given, which I believe is a good deal

I love the sound output from the phantom 5 headphone, it does the job so well. The speaker is well positioned on the device, which is similar to the way the Iphone 6s is positioned. Playing songs on the Boom J8 is something I can’t stop doing because the sound output is very good and there is this breathing light that dances as I play music on the device. This light also serves as notification light.

The Intuitive User interface, better performance

If there is one thing i will quickly notice about this phone, it’s the clean and intelligent user interface from Tecno. It’s called the HiOS. HiOS is very fast and it comes with lots of tweaks like changing the themes and Fonts, customizing the Folders and lots more. This android skin is based on android 5.1 lollipops, I expect to see android marshmallow but the device still runs smoothly. HiOS is 60% faster than most user interfaces and is quite intuitive, customizable and easily navigated

Performance

I run the popular benchmarking app, antutu benchmark 6.0.1 on it to reveal the hardware and software specifications, and the results were decent when compared to devices on the same range. The device has the recent 64bit MediaTek 6735 ARM Cortex- A53 architecture with openGL ES 3.1 as against 2.0 and 3.0 on some devices. The advantages of the openGL ES 3.1 are enormous over the older versions. It enhances 3D graphics and from the developer’s point of view, what used to work well on desktop computer will now be possible on mobile. See the results below

Battery

The phone came with 3000mAh battery and it also charges really fast because I get like 70% battery within an hour of charging it. The battery served me full day on normal usage but one may have to charge one more in case you are a heavy user but the battery really delivers to its full capacity. On a day i listen to songs for about 3hrs, play games for like 1hrs , browse the internet for most part of the day and used it as my primary calling phone, by the close of work my battery is already about 30%, so i need to charge at home

Lest I forget the battery is irremovable and tightly well packed on the device. The HiOS is very light and clean which I believe has been well optimized to help reduce battery consumption on the Boom J8 because I have used some android devices with 3000mAh battery that have poor battery life. It’s not about the amount of mAh, optimization is key.

In conclusion, Tecno Boom J8 is not only a good music smartphone; it is also a very good smartphone with great specs suitable for business and photography. It performs really well in most of the aspects I tested and for a phone that cost just N41, 000; it’s a good value for money.
I bought mine at 3CHUB in Ikeja.
Nice review, hope it's worth it.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by MaryWest(f): 8:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
KCode:
Nice review, hope it's worth it.

Seems cool.
I remember arguing my fingers out over this particular phone.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by MaryWest(f): 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
showlaw:
Gaming, on point, Camera - On point, Battery - on point...New user interface, I must own this phone

What's holding you
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Damiandark01: 12:10am On May 01, 2016
showlaw:
Yeah, taken pictures with it too

The picture quality isn't bad at all. It's not all hype, I checked it and was impressed
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by creed266: 9:21pm On May 01, 2016
wow, the fifa looks so clear on the phone and the camera quality is quite good
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Nobody: 12:11am On May 02, 2016
Oh seems gaming would be nice on that phone, also sleek and easy to use.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by johnjameson: 2:52am On May 02, 2016
Its really a great phone
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Harlequin17: 9:26am On May 02, 2016
this seems like a week properly spent with the right device to me
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by kendrick2: 10:28am On May 02, 2016
i like a good review anytime, good one
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by JanethEze(f): 5:12pm On May 04, 2016
showlaw:
Gaming, on point, Camera - On point, Battery - on point...New user interface, I must own this phone

I actually just love the design. Very sleek
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Darkseid(m): 7:45pm On May 04, 2016
bennito:
Recently bought the phone, am a bit disappointed as to the screen responsiveness. Quite irritating sometimes. Have to press some button twice or more before it responds. For those that are using it, is there any solution to the screen responsiveness issue.
Another question is about the soft keys, is there a way of adjusting the settings so that recent key brings up options for the app, while long pressing home key brings up recent tasks.
If I may ask again, is there any whatsapp group for the phone yet, if yes, please add 08039598611 & 07051757195
Did you finally find a way to fix the screen responsiveness? It's really annoying.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by kolexepana: 11:39pm On May 04, 2016
Baadal:
My brand new Tecno Boom J8 is still available... call 08025220285 if interested
Why you selling?
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by bennito: 6:00am On May 05, 2016
Darkseid:
Did you finally find a way to fix the screen responsiveness? It's really annoying.
as time goes on, it gets better. Now the screen is quite responsive unlike the first 2 days of usage. Also endeavour to run update after charging for first time.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by Darkseid(m): 6:46am On May 05, 2016
bennito:
as time goes on, it gets better. Now the screen is quite responsive unlike the first 2 days of usage. Also endeavour to run update after charging for first time.
Okay I'll keep observing it, mine is just two days old and I already ran the update. Thanks.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by ChidinmaRose(f): 8:26am On May 05, 2016
showlaw:

Own it so you can join the club o.
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by tymajek: 3:46pm On May 07, 2016
Yes ooo1...na me

showlaw:
Shebi na you
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by daphid25(m): 3:33pm On May 09, 2016
JanethEze:

I actually just love the design. Very sleek
Say it loud cheesy
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by ChidinmaRose(f): 7:40pm On Jun 02, 2016
daphid25:

Say it loud cheesy
the design is just fantabulous
Re: A Week Spent With The Tecno Boom J8 by olaneyo18: 9:50pm On Jul 13, 2016
Tecno boom j8 is magnificent in all area but the only problem I will have with the phone is the 3000mah battery. in fact tecno should try and improve in their phone battery capacity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The New Corning Gorilla Glass 6 Will Make It’s Debut On Oppo’s New Flagship. / FIFA 15 OFFICIAL THREAD / Android Phones Under 50,000 Naira In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.