Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! (1528 Views)

Military Raid: Israel Okwu Kanu Petitions UN, UK. Accuses Army Of Looting / Britain To Cut Its Foreign Aid Money To Nigeria By 50% / Solomon Asemota Accuses Buhari Of Appointing Islamist Jihadists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by citizenisb: 9:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/nigeria-using-uk-aid-to-persecute-presidents-political-foes-rath/?%20

Hundreds of millions of pounds of British foreign aid given to Nigeria to help combat Boko Haram terrorists is instead being used to fund a witch-hunt against opposition politicians, it is being claimed.

Britain has committed to spending £860 million in foreign aid to Nigeria, which now boasts Africa’s largest economy, to help support the country’s efforts to crush Boko Haram terror group, which has been responsible for a spate of outrages, including the kidnapping of hundreds of Nigerian schoolgirls.

But Western officials are now raising concerns that the government of the country’s recently elected leader, President Muhammadu Buhari, is misusing the funds to persecute political opponents.

Since Mr Buhari came to power last July, a number of prominent members of the former ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) have been arrested and imprisoned without charge. Among those detained was the party’s official spokesperson.

• Nigeria: a nation in fear of becoming the next Rwanda

Most of the arrests have been sanctioned by the government-controlled Economic and Financial Crime Commission, which was set up to tackle corruption and receives funding from the Department for International Development.

But while Mr Buhari’s government continues to use British aid money to target his political opponents, it is proving less effective at tackling the Islamist-run Boko Haram terrorist group.

Much of the aid Britain provides to Nigeria is aimed at helping the country’s security forces to become more effective at tackling Boko Haram, which boasts of its links with Islamic State (Isil) and achieved international notoriety two years ago after kidnapping 276 schoolgirls in northern Nigeria two years ago.

1 Like

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by citizenisb: 9:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Western officials have expressed concern about Mr Buhari’s increasingly autocratic style of government since he came to power last year.

A retired major-general, Mr Buhari, 73, previously headed a brutal military dictatorship following a coup in December 1983, which lasted until he was overthrown by another coup in 1985.

Now political opponents claim he is returning to his old dictatorial ways, abusing British aid meant to improve Nigeria’s ability to tackle Boko Haram to consolidate his hold on power.

Apart from the concerns over British aid, American officials are also angry that $2.1 billion of aid given to the Nigerian military to tackle Boko Haram has not been properly accounted for.

Mr Buhari’s claim that he is winning the war against Boko Haram - recently claimed the group no longer poses a serious threat - has been undermined by recent revelations the Nigerian authorities have tried to cover up the fact that hundreds more schoolchildren have been abducted by Boko Haram.

1 Like

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by eleko1: 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
APril 1st don past. Next undecided
Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Firefire(m): 9:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lalasticlala, Mr. Buhary tyrannical move now known internationally.

Another Western diplomat added: “If Buhari was serious about fighting corruption he would be focusing all of his efforts on targeting corruption that is impeding Nigeria’s ability to focus its efforts on tackling Boko Haram.”

Accusations that Nigeria is abusing British aid will add to the growing controversy over Downing Street’s commitment to spend 0.7 percent of GDP on the foreign aid budget. Last week the Telegraph reported that DFID was under pressure to cancel £200 million of foreign aid to Tanzania following concerns over a widely condemned election.

4 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Iykopee(m): 9:41pm On Apr 12, 2016
Who says bubu daura mai mana is not a thief?

5 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by naijaking1: 9:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
It's more like Buhari has been using western aid to arm Fulani herdsmen.

5 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by rusher14: 9:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Fake telegraph website.
My bad but bad reporting.

No evidence, no quotes from recognisable names mostly conjecture.

Con Coughling has a reputation of being a radical with a penchant for riling up establishment.

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
I don't understand. How much exactly is spent on the fight against opposition and how much was actually sent? I don't think this is true. If you want to stop giving AIDS do it for a better reason and not this fiction.

1 Like

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 12, 2016
Reyginus:
I don't understand. How much exactly is spent on the fight against opposition and how much was actually sent? I don't think this is true. If you want to stop giving AIDS do it for a better reason and not this fiction.
Its true dear!b Buhari has been stealing UK foreign aid to buy Aisha rice for zombies like Omojuwa and Kayode ogundamisi

4 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lalasticlala please come and see how Buhari has been stealing UK AID money
Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by SleekMallam: 9:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
No wonder Buhari ran off to China to sign Nigeria into more economic slavery!A country ran on IMF loans and Chinese MOU shows a country on coma.

4 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by dtruth3(m): 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2016
UK don turn wailer oooooo!

grin grin they have tasted a little of Bubu's scam.

So Bubu actually scamed UK of their money?

4 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
chukwudi44:

Its true dear!b Buhari has been stealing UK foreign aid to buy Aisha rice for zombies like Omojuwa and Kayode ogundamisi
I disagree. He doesn't really need the aids if he wants to steal. How much exactly are the British giving us that the thing will now be used for pursuing the opposition? I don't buy his corruption fight but I won't say that.

1 Like

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by SleekMallam: 10:07pm On Apr 12, 2016
rusher14:
Fake telegraph website. My bad but bad reporting.
Buhari should hand himself over to Efcc to be prosecuted just as Dasuki.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by fistonati(m): 10:10pm On Apr 12, 2016
Only the blind minds will not believe this.
And for those who will want to ask for the sources of this info, SHINE YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by fistonati(m): 10:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
Do you know how much a British Pound Sterling is?? Remember that this people have classified information and not like Lai's ministry.
Reyginus:
I disagree. He doesn't really need the aids if he wants to steal. How much exactly are the British giving us that the thing will now be used for pursuing the opposition? I don't buy his corruption fight but I won't say that.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by urboy1: 10:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
Okkk ooo.. talking about corruption!!!!
Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by EasternLeopard: 10:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
So Britain expect Buhari to fight his boys(Boko Haram).

When will the British realize that Buhari=Boko Haram

I am sure a particular ethnic group will call Britain IPOB grin
Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 12, 2016
Will comment tomorrow.

Buhari is in trouble
Re: Breaking - UK Accuses Buhari Of Corruption And Using AID Money To Fight PDP!!! by Mynd44: 10:17pm On Apr 12, 2016

(1)

Federal Government May Soon Ban Christian And Muslim Prayers At Pub Functions / I Cried When Buhari's Spokesperson Femi Adesina Said This. / Goodluck Jonathan Was Not Greedy For Power – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.