Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,097 members, 7,814,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard (1172 Views)

Buhari Personally Negotiated Lagos-calabar Rail Project Funding – Osinbajo / Evidence Showing SS And SE Senators Killing Lagos Calabar Rail Project--vanguard / The Removal Of The Lagos-Calabar Rail: Ben Murray-Bruce Reacts On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Nobody: 6:23am On Apr 13, 2016
The reign of confusion that has bedevilled the 2016
Appropriation Bill continues to reverberate with the
allegation that the two chambers of the National
Assembly distorted the infrastructure development
agenda of the Federal Government before forwarding
the Bill to President Muhammadu Buhari for his
assent.
Media reports have it that the Appropriation Committees of the Senate and House of Representatives headed by Senator Danjuma Goje and Hon Abdulmunin Jibrin respectively, altered allocations to key areas and reallocated them to
projects located mostly in the Northern parts of the
country.
Worthy of particular note was the alleged arbitrary “cancellation” of the Lagos-Calabar railway project and the diversion of funds allocated for it. The project is billed to cost 80 billion naira. The Federal Government reportedly allocated N60 billion in the controversial budget as a counterpart fund which the government of China will complement with N20 billion to ensure its speedy realisation. President Buhari’s current trip to China is aimed at securing a loan to finance this and other capital projects.

While Presidency sources claimed that government
had to return the budget to the National Assembly
because these alterations would derail its core
development agenda, Hon Jibrin insisted that the
Lagos-Calabar railway line project was never included
in the budget that Buhari submitted to the National
Assembly in the first place. He, however, argued that
the Federal Legislature had the right to appropriate
funds under the constitution and that his constituency
was also part of Nigeria and had the right to benefit
from the development programmes of government.
We do not dispute the fact that the Legislature is
vested with the power to appropriate public fund and
supervise its expenditure. This is expressly reflected in
Sections 80 to 84 of the Constitution of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria, 1999. We, however, hasten to
caution that these powers must be applied without
prejudicing the constitutional rights of the Executive
to provide good governance in line with the campaign
promises of the party in power.
We condemn in strong terms, any efforts by politicians
from any section to hijack funds meant for the even
development of the country to gratify their home
region.
We also, most importantly, call for the immediate
restoration of the Lagos-Calabar Railway project in the
2016 budget and its speedy implementation. This and
other projects lined up in the budget presented by
President Buhari will go a long way in massively
providing jobs, diversifying the economy and linking up
centres of commerce in the South for national
prosperity and integration.
We urge the President to pursue this and all other
laudable provisions in the budget to their logical
conclusion and assure him that Nigerians are eager for
his success.

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/bring-back-lagos-calabar-rail-project/
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Nobody: 6:27am On Apr 13, 2016
Am tired of this EXPLANATION from NASS and SS/SE Senators and Reps..

This matter is simple. Do necessary Document and include Lagos-Calabar rail in the 2016 Budget..

But NO, They are trying to prove themselves innocent of the matter on ground..

Either you are INNOCENT or GUILTY, we don't want to know..

Just include the project and Let the media have peace....

3 Likes

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by fotadmowmend(m): 6:30am On Apr 13, 2016
funny
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by billyoung: 6:33am On Apr 13, 2016
Enough of all the noise! It should be returned to the budget and executed.
The positive side of this is the attention it has drawn to this long overdue and very important project. Now it will be difficult to delay or divert funds for it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by ki02020(m): 6:35am On Apr 13, 2016
godson36:

This matter is simple. Do necessary Document and include Lagos-Calabar rail in the 2016 Budget..

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by ki02020(m): 6:38am On Apr 13, 2016
godson36:

WELL said...

You're younger but more mature than the whole 8th Assembly

2 Likes

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by omogin(f): 6:39am On Apr 13, 2016
Sectional pple in govt. What do you expect?
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by KissCODE(m): 7:09am On Apr 13, 2016
What still baffles me is how the two chambers conspired to remove this LAGOS-CALABAR rail project from this budget of confussion.
I am amongst those that believe that this project was not in the original document which PMB submited to NASS.

I have this feeling that Amaechi has found alibi in this whole matter and is using this opotunity to cleans his name of every impurity. Amaechi wants people to see how much he loves southern Nigeria and how southern Nigeria NASS members hate the south.

Amaechi canceled Maritime University just to please the north & now he is one who promotes a rail from lagos to callabar. What a falacy.

Vanguard who has taken it upon itself to promote this lie should at least get a copy of the original Document which PMB submitted to NASS or the swapped version and publish it so that all will see how & where it was removed from.

Amaechi and other members of PMB‘s cabinate are riding on Buhari ignorant of everything & his self righteous stance to put Nigeria in confusion.

I still wonder how all the Senate and HoR memebers from SS would be and such projects will be removed without any of them saying something.

This same government has outrightly canceled & stopped 2nd Niger Bridge project (yes canceled). And they are here raising dust and making so much noise in the media over what was never there just to obtain cheap publicity.

Buhari government hates the south because of his 97% & 5% theory. Let this lies stop please.

I want vanguard to source for the two “originl“ copy of the budget and publish it so that all will see where Lagos Calabar rail project was removed from.
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by modath(f): 7:16am On Apr 13, 2016
There should be no need arguing about this, it must happen...

However Vanguard is working with a script, causing more confusion and they are setting both sides against each other!

They will later in the day post another article that will be a clear departure from this! cool

Cc LadyExcellency ....
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Elnino4ladies: 7:24am On Apr 13, 2016
KissCODE:
What still baffles me is how the two chambers conspired to remove this LAGOS-CALABAR rail project from this budget of confussion.
I am amongst those that believe that this project was not in the original document which PMB submited to NASS.

I have this feeling that Amaechi has found alibi in this whole matter and is using this opotunity to cleans his name of every impurity. Amaechi wants people to see how much he loves southern Nigeria and how southern Nigeria NASS members hate the south.

Amaechi canceled Maritime University just to please the north & now he is one who promotes a rail from lagos to callabar. What a falacy.

Vanguard who has taken it upon itself to promote this lie should at least get a copy of the original Document which PMB submitted to NASS or the swapped version and publish it so that all will see how & where it was removed from.

Amaechi and other members of PMB‘s cabinate are riding on Buhari ignorant of everything & his self righteous stance to put Nigeria in confusion.

I still wonder how all the Senate and HoR memebers from SS would be and such projects will be removed without any of them saying something.

This same government has outrightly canceled & stopped 2nd Niger Bridge project (yes canceled). And they are here raising dust and making so much noise in the media over what was never there just to obtain cheap publicity.

Buhari government hates the south because of his 97% & 5% theory. Let this lies stop please.

I want vanguard to source for the two “originl“ copy of the budget and publish it so that all will see where Lagos Calabar rail project was removed from.
all this epistle is inconsequential..the NASS should do the needfull by puting this damn project in the budget.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by MarshRiley(m): 7:25am On Apr 13, 2016
The annoying thing is that every day the presidency and d legislature come up with excuses and accusations instead of finding a way to fix the problem
I Don Tire sef
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Aufbauh(m): 7:25am On Apr 13, 2016
The South East Zone of APC therefore appealed to the National Assembly to let the Lagos-Calabar Railway Project be, saying, “as we have listened carefully to all the cacophony of voices, none has condemned the project as irrelevant or building bridge to nowhere. Let the blame game stop and let the project be.
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by modath(f): 7:26am On Apr 13, 2016
ki02020:

WELL said...

You're younger but more mature than the whole 8th Assembly

The problem of NASS Southern Reps isn't even maturity, it is 2019 political permutations & disunity..

Elnino4ladies:
all this epistle is inconsequential..the NASS should do the needfull by puting this damn project in the budget.

Thank you, cutting nose & knocking out teeth to spite the face!!

Mynd44 , Lalasticlala ...

1 Like

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Brimmie(m): 7:59am On Apr 13, 2016
[size=20]APC is in Government but PDP is in Power.[/size]
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by dridowu: 8:14am On Apr 13, 2016
KissCODE According to Senator Ashafa the Hon. Minister for Transport, Rotimi Amaechi, did inform the committee of the omission of the Lagos to Calabar rail modernisation project and indeed sent a supplementary copy of the ministry’s budget to the committee which contained the said project..
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Flexherbal(m): 8:51am On Apr 13, 2016
This government has confused the people . We don't even know what is happening again.
Pockets Representatives Politicians (PRP)
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by KissCODE(m): 9:23am On Apr 13, 2016
dridowu:
According to Senator Ashafa the Hon. Minister for Transport, Rotimi Amaechi, did inform the committee of the omission of the Lagos to Calabar rail modernisation project and indeed sent a supplementary copy of the ministry’s budget to the committee which contained the said project..

yes i know about this and thats the alibi i talked about. A minister has no constitutional right to submit suplementary or whatever budget to NASS talkless of a committee.

Amaechi got an alibi by that move. How can someone say that a huge project like that was omitted?

Didnt the ministry go through the budget before submitting it?
Amaechi is getting the publicity he wants out of this show of shame.
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by KissCODE(m): 9:29am On Apr 13, 2016
Elnino4ladies:
cheesy
NASS cannot add it & transport ministry cant add it either.
It can only be added if the presidency sends in a suplmentary budget.
The person to do the needful is president Buhari & not NASS.
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 13, 2016
In summary, the truth is that all this budget controversy is because of only one reason, which is, Buhari have some level of Integrity that is not common among average Nigeria politician. Buhari integrity for sure is not 100%, but it is much higher than the integrity of an average Nigerian politician.

If Buhari was sharing Ghana must go,the Budget would have be considered perfect by NASS.

If we decide to go and study all the budget sent to NASS by the presidency since 1999, you will be shock that they have much more errors than this current budget. But yet most of them pass the house without major issues.

Some people accuse Buhari of not lobbying Senate and they try to compare Obama lobbying of US senate to Nigeria. In US, lobbying is all about supporting a senator's bill and federal intervention for thier constituency.

But in Nigeria lobbying means the following:
1. Share Ghana must go filled with Naira/dollar to NASS members
2. Stop Saraki glaring corruption trial
3. Look the other way when NASS members are involved in major corrupt practices.

Is that the kind of lobbying we want from our president?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by focus7: 9:44am On Apr 13, 2016
No, let's frustrate Buhari government in the SE and SS, let's reject every development Buhari is bringing to that region so that he won't gain popularity among the people from that region. Let frustrate anything that is coming from Rotimi Amaechin to that region so it can be known how much the SE and SS despised him. Let's not care about any development that is taking place in any other regions of the federation in Buhari regime, the SE and the SS can afford to remain in decay for the next seven year of Buhari reign, let's support people like Ben Bruce in his effort to rubbish this government, this what SE and SS stands for.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 13, 2016
KissCODE:
cheesy
NASS cannot add it & transport ministry cant add it either.
It can only be added if the presidency sends in a suplmentary budget.
The person to do the needful is president Buhari & not NASS.

Stop this trash!!!!

While did NASS add roads and project that was not sent to them.
NASS added a lot of items and figures that was not sent to them by the presidency.
Saying they cant add or remove is completely false.

1 Like

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by mars123(m): 10:49am On Apr 13, 2016
KissCODE:

egbon if you want sense, come and collect it...

all you need to be saying is that the NASS should put back the lagos Calabar rail project into the budget and not this your nonsense rant.

For all I know the NASS is playing with the chill of the SS/SE people.

1 Like

Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by KissCODE(m): 12:26pm On Apr 13, 2016
mars123:
if you want sense, come and collect it...

all you need to be saying is that the NASS should put back the lagos Calabar rail project into the budget and not this your nonsense rant.

For all I know the NASS is playing with the chill of the SS/SE people.
assuming you have brain i would have come to collect some sense from u. But it is painful u have neither brain nor sense.

How can i tell NASS to add what was never there? It is people like you & Buhari Amaechi will play pranks with your brain.
Amaechi went to NASS with a suplementary budget not knowing that ministers cant bring budget proposal directly to committees. All in a way to protect a well padded budget of confussion.

President Buhari should submit a suplementary budget with will include Lagos-Calabar rail project if he & Amaechi is serious and forget all these cheap media publicty.
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by KissCODE(m): 12:37pm On Apr 13, 2016
tuale4u:

Stop this trash!!!!
While did NASS add roads and project that was not sent to them.
NASS added a lot of items and figures that was not sent to them by the presidency.
Saying they cant add or remove is completely false.
it doesnt work by shouting, so stop shouting...

If Buhari is serious he should prepere a supplementary appropiation bill that will capture Lagos-Calabar rail project and send to NASS, PERIOD
Re: Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard by mars123(m): 12:46pm On Apr 13, 2016
KissCODE:
assuming you have brain i would have come to collect some sense from u. But it is painful u have neither brain nor sense.

How can i tell NASS to add what was never there? It is people like you & Buhari Amaechi will play pranks with your brain.
Amaechi went to NASS with a suplementary budget not knowing that ministers cant bring budget proposal directly to committees. All in a way to protect a well padded budget of confussion.

President Buhari should submit a suplementary budget with will include Lagos-Calabar rail project if he & Amaechi is serious and forget all these cheap media publicty.
all this your blabbing is just because you're in opposition and you can't support the government even when they seem to be right and standing for something right too so I don't expect to convince your wrongly wired brain.

I just want my lagos - calabar coastal rail link put back in the budget by the most useless NASS in the world.

(1) (Reply)

Court Grants Bail To All 4 Accused Persons:saraki,ekweremadu,maikasuwa & Efeture / Things Igbos Should Learn From Yorubas – Joe Igbokwe Speaks (SHOCKING) / Fulfilment Of Electoral Promises Not Easy – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.