Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,589 members, 7,816,448 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor (1282 Views)

I Beta Pass My Neighbour!! / Gory Tale (1): Deadly Chatter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by emekagh(m): 10:49pm On Aug 03, 2009
GORY TALE (II): I PASS MY NEIGHBOR

I powered on my generator
Nicknamed, I pass my neighbor
Small, compact, it is
To add to the twinkles
Of lights,
Scattered across the neighborhood

To add its noise to
The cacophony of noise
From the smallest
To the biggest
Of generators
Rulers of the night

To add to the pollution
Of air, and sound

I wished I wouldn’t
But the Power Holding Company of Nigeria
And powers that be
Have forced this on me
- on us
Nigerians (small and mighty)

I listened to the news,
Analysis of plans
I watch some movies
And then it watched over me
Deep into the night,
Deep into my sleep

I woke
In the morning
To a noise of another kind
Horrified voices
And bangs on my door
A family of four
Have died in their sleep
Fumes
From my generator, small and compact
Beneath our window boundaries
Has aided and abetted,
In multiple homicide!
My generator - I pass my neighbor
Has killed my neighbors

1 Like

Re: Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by SeanT21(f): 6:44pm On Aug 04, 2009
SAD but very beautiful.
Re: Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by emekagh(m): 7:04pm On Aug 04, 2009
Yea, sad it is. But it's a true story someone told me.
Re: Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by nature262(m): 10:29pm On Aug 05, 2009
Men, you have committed manslaughter, lolz.
Nice work
Re: Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by emekagh(m): 11:22pm On Aug 05, 2009
lol. So it seems oo. sad It will never happen to me or anyone I know (including Nairalanders) . That's my prayer though. grin

Thanks by the way.
Re: Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by MyneWhite1(f): 11:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
I have heard this in the news several times but I like the way you portrayed it in this free form poem. Very touching and realistic. More power to you.
Re: Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor by emekagh(m): 12:08am On Aug 06, 2009
True and thanks Myne. It's a popular news item. Generators fumes have killed people in their sleeps. Especially where three or more neighbours have generator in a crowded compound. The discomfort from the noise can also be unbearable. I remember once powering off my generator around 12 midnight to sleep, but my neighbour was not ready to sleep. His generator hummed in my head all night long.

Sometime I'm afraid of the fumes. I had to take precaution to make sure no generator is close by my window. Any slightest smell of smoke will send my alarm off. I try to sleep on a 'high' ground, cos I learnt the fumes accumulate first on low grounds and build up higher. Ventilation is also very critical, if your neighbour uses generator, ensure you have cross ventilation.

The bottom line is that we need to fix our power problem. We don't sleep well at night, and yet we need to leave very early for work in especially in Lagos.

(1) (Reply)

Kingdom Of Pain / Murtala Muhammed Foundation 2013 Essay Competition For Nigerians / Drop A Synopsis Of Your Work Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.