Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,263 members, 7,818,891 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? (25737 Views)

A Kogi State Civil Servant Resigned Due To Non Payment Of Salary / Kogi Civil Servant Who Returned N1.78m Excess Salary Speaks (photo) / Fayose Gives Kia Cerato To Bamisile Lucy, Ekiti Best Civil Servant, 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 16, 2016
Kazrem:

My is a civil servant. She said one can do Biz after office hour.

Bro it's a big fat lie. While I won't argue that people get involve in illegal act in civil service, the truth is that one can be a millionaire while in service, though very rare. I have a handful of examples and don't tell me do I know them well because I do well.
It isnt a lie bro. The civil service rule allows only Agriculture/farming. So any biz that isnt agriculture or farming is actually breaking civil service rule. There are certain life style choices that can help an average civil servant save or make a few millions like say two to seven millions anything more than that is either illegal or breaking civil service rule. This has been my experience so far. It may change though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by notoriousbabe: 11:47am On Apr 16, 2016
micholalo:

Easy to type, sebi u are on it now. Keep updating us about urs. Thanks
you dey mind dem
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by superstr: 11:55am On Apr 16, 2016
Whatever you think... below will help you a lot.

38 Career Tips You Must Know If You Want to Be Successful in Life.

http://www.careerlinko.com/2016/04/11/38-career-tips-you-must-know-if-you-want-to-be-successful-in-life/
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by superstr: 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
Whatever you think... below will help you a lot.

38 Career Tips You Must Know If You Want to Be Successful in Life.

http://www.careerlinko.com/2016/04/11/38-career-tips-you-must-know-if-you-want-to-be-successful-in-life/
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by wayodude(m): 12:11pm On Apr 16, 2016
Simple logic plus basic arithmetic says no.

NB: you are not allowed to engage in other forms of employment/business while working for the government.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by YOLO1(m): 12:14pm On Apr 16, 2016
It's practically not possible. No man gets rich/wealthy tru salary. He must have a business to augment the salary he is collecting.
The only rich civil servants are those that know their ways tru illegal deals, rebate and bribes.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by horsepower24: 12:19pm On Apr 16, 2016
MARKone:
Of course if you have a legitimate profitable business that is being managed by a trusted ally, why not. But I don't think using ur spare to run a profitable business will cut it. You resume work by 8am and close by 4-5pm, which spare time again, unless the business will be a professional Armed Robber, who operates only at night.

In the civil service act, as a civil servant, you are not allowed to run any business or be in the board of directors of any company. So there's no legitimate way
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Coolgent(m): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2016
Yes civil servant can be billionaire but only under Gej useless government
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Onyiridike(f): 12:39pm On Apr 16, 2016
YOLO1:
It's practically not possible. No man gets rich/wealthy tru salary. He must have a business to augment the salary he is collecting.
The only rich civil servants are those that know their ways tru illegal deals, rebate and bribes.

My brother, the fact that you don't know the way doesn't mean that there is no way.

I know up to 4 lecturers who are legitimate billionaires.

Mind you that lecturers can lecture in other universities as visiting lecturers.

Some of them act as consultants to companies and international organizations like WHO, UNICEF e.t.c

Lecturers who lecture postgraduate students receive additional salary.

Lecturers also receive allowances for supervising SIWES and Project students. Those who are good at research can get a research grant in millions of dollars.

Quality medical textbooks written by good lecturers can sell as high as N15,000 for just one.

Lecturers who engage in sabbatical with good organizations like SHELL smiles to the bank after.

The list is endless.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by NobleAky(m): 12:56pm On Apr 16, 2016
Onyiridike:

My brother, the fact that you don't know the way doesn't mean that there is no way.

Mind you that lecturers can lecture in other universities as visiting lecturers.

Some of them act as consultants to companies and international organizations like WHO, UNICEF e.t.c

Lecturers also receive allowances for supervising SIWES and Project students. Those who are good at research can get a research grant in millions of dollars.

Quality medical textbooks written by good lecturers can sell as high as N15,000 for just one.

Lecturers who engage in sabbatical with good organizations like SHELL smiles to the bank after.

The list is endless.
not to mention one overseeing mega churches with branches across the country
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by linkin8k(m): 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
The argument should be, "Can a civil servant in a MINISTRY be a millionaire". The answer should be No.

But if you're asking if a civil servant in an agency or parastatal like NCC, NERC, NNPC and similar organisations can be a millionaire; the answer is absolutely yes. Graduates in these institutions don't start with anything less than N250,000 a month minuses various allowances (housing, eduaction, etc).

If I'm in a parastatal and I make N250k a month, I won't spend more than N100k monthly, then I have my N150k saved each month for a year which equals N1.8 million. This is without taking into account my housing, which could be as high as 1 million per annum (I know graduates,level 8 officers, in a lesser agency getting N1.6 million for housing).

It's very possible to be a millionaire as a civil servant. I don't know about being a billionaire though.

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by charlsecy(m): 1:25pm On Apr 16, 2016
erico2k2:

They are both same thing. One is American the other is British. cheesy grin grin grin
Not really. There are subtle differences between a civil servant and a public servant.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by itstpia8: 3:03pm On Apr 16, 2016
Onyiridike:
ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE for a lecturer who is science inclined.

Let me use one of my lecturers as an example:

1. He is a senior professor at the age of 55 years and earns over 5million salary annually after tax and other deductions.

2. He is a visiting lecturer to 5 other universities where he earns N150,000 * 5 = N750,000 monthly and 9 million annually.

3. He is a renowed international researcher. Through him, the university won over $250,000,000 research grant and I am sure he is the leading researcher and would earn nothing less than $2,000,000 from the research.

3. He won a prize worths ¥3000,000 from the research he conducted in Japan.

4. He earn bogus allowances by lecturing and supervising PhD students.

5. He is the dean of the faculty and that will earn him more allowances. Also, the faculty bought him a brand new car and fuels it.

6. He is the chairman of a research institute in the university which earns him more allowances.

7. He won a national merit award with a cash prize of N10,000,000.

8. He won an international award in USA with a cash prize of $10,000,000

9. He partners with WHO in developing DNA vaccines and he is earning huge amount from his services.

SUMMARY

He is a legitimate billionaire already even before retirement. And remember he is entitled to N49,000,000 gratuity and pension for life when he retires.

NOTE: If you are good at what you are doing, money will chase you. Some teachers who can write quality textbooks are billionaires.

Which award gave $10,000,000?

Besides, the op is not asking about lecturers, not to mention these imaginary stats of yours , will mislead uninformed people.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Chukzyfcb(m): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2016
RALPHOW:

Very possible, if Seun or Linda Ikeji were civil servants they don't need to resign .
An IT Director in the ministry may be a blogger and be making cool millions. Also many civil servants works in grade A ministries are millionaires , don't be deceived by the word SERVANT entry level ie fresh graduate in CBN and other grade A ministries is above N600,000.00 per month. Many Senior staff received N1.5 Million (allowances inclusive)
See as you quote 600,000 and 1.5million per mont like say that's a fast and sure way to being a billionaire.

See even if you make 2million a month,
A year ; 12*2million= 24million/year
Say You work for 30yearrs.
24million x 30yrs = 720million in 30yrs!!!
Nigga you stilll wouldn't make 1billion naira.

Remember this doesn't include your expenses and liabilities
Remember also, this means you will extra 30yrs once you start making 2m a month

Some business men I know in my fam, make over 500,000naira monthly and till today they re not billionaires despite being in the business for over 20yrs
#baba to be billionaire no be beans ooo

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Onyiridike(f): 3:35pm On Apr 16, 2016
itstpia8:

Which award gave $10,000,000?

Besides, the op is not asking about lecturers, not to mention these imaginary stats of yours , will mislead uninformed people.

Are you seriously serious?

So lecturers are not civil servants?

I will not tell you the award for privacy reasons because he is the ONLY African with such an award.

Also, he has also won another award that worths $50,000.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by ayodotcom(m): 4:31pm On Apr 16, 2016
originally:
Governors are civil servants too u know

Governors r public servants nt civil servants
There is a diff. btw d 2
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by YOLO1(m): 10:37pm On Apr 17, 2016
Onyiridike:

The list is endless.
It's obviously obvious u don't know the difference between millionaires and billionaires. So everybody living good life and smiling to the bank are billionaires. U need to learn bro
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by NoRetreat(m): 7:18am On Apr 18, 2016
The Civil Service rule makes it a little bit difficult or almost impossible for a normal civil servant to be a millionare. However, Civil Servant may overtime garner millions in properties and children upkeep.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by hugochuks60(m): 8:19pm On Apr 05, 2018
well said. pls note the following:
1. no man ever got wealthy or became a multi millionaire by earning salaries from high paying coys like shell n Mobil, not to talk of d weak n poorly motivated civil servants especially those in d ministry in Nigeria federal government.
2. the public service rules does not encouraged any side business except agriculture. this includes both on time n off time business.
3. being a billionaire is a thing of d mind n not something that comes from salary especially from f.g. take note, u may save from ur salary but by doing this, u may not live a quality life n may not send ur kids to good schools.
4. being wealthy only applies to people who r creative n ready to take risks. civil servants r not ready to do this, they tend to enjoy job n pension security which most of them end up spending within a few yrs after retirement because they don't av the right mindset to be billionaires, they can only be rich for a while cos d nature of their jobs does not encourage challenges.
5. lecturers r public servants n they r given special preference in the civil service rules. they r free to conduct research n teach in other schools within Nigeria n abroad so as to build experience n they r free to write books n sell n make more money from there. I don't encourage youths to join the CS except for specialized agencies like DPR n ncc etc. but I highly encourage them to become lecturers so as to boost our research world.
6. the only way a CS can become a billionaire is by breaking the rules or doing illegal stuffs or probably not having any responsibilites as a human being which will enable him/her buy lands n sell at high prices.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bad Money Habits And How To Break Them / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him / Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.