Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,749 members, 7,955,859 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:14 PM

MY NYSC STORY By Omolola "Slim" Adeniyi - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / MY NYSC STORY By Omolola "Slim" Adeniyi (974 Views)

My Nysc Service ,a Story By Mable / I Need Your Help For My NYSC / Veteran Journalist Edmond Obilo And Ifeoluwapo Adeniyi Resigns From Splash FM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MY NYSC STORY By Omolola "Slim" Adeniyi by Akinonnairaland(m): 4:37am On Apr 16, 2016
MY NYSC STORY.

For the record, the first picture below was taken, when an ex-corper was otondo.

My posting to Kano State sounded like a death sentence. It was almost impossible. Even though I was born in the North also, Kaduna State precisely, what could I be looking for in the north again?, especially now when Boko Haram is (or do I say was?) on rampage.

I summoned confidence and started to get my self and things together. After I got prayed for by dad, he warned me to wear an hijab as soon as I stepped into Kano State to avoid being stoned to death! I became devastated and sad.

Even when I got into the airplane, the man seated behind me took me few lessons in Hausa Language. I still know few words like MEGIDA (husband), YARO (small boy), ZO MANA (come here) and more. I took notes.

Before two hours, I was in Kano State. After about two hours journeying to Camp at Kusala Dam, I got welcomed by a soldier at the quarter guard who ordered me to place my box on my head!.. What!? A grown up sisi like me?! How would the 'cute dudes see me?! Gosh! I complied immediately. Interestingly, I met those so called cute dudes doing justice to their loads on their head.

Settling down, it took me another 22 hours to finish my registration and collect my khaki. My parents and siblings back there in Lagos were already impatient, they could not wait to see me kitted up. My khaki was about eight times my size. I immediately rushed to the tailor to get it fixed up, even my jungle boot was giant size, I had to do this ultimate search for whom to exchange with, all under this scorching sun that got me carrying a water bottle everywhere and drinking water every minute.

Three weeks seemed like three decades. Early morning parade was annoying. Afternoon parade was even worse, flies were countless ( I got tired of chasing them at a point). Camp food was on point zero. I stopped eating it the second day, when I saw a big fly in it. I became a regular visitor in Mami especially Iya Bose's shop ( God bless that woman wherever she is). I ate correct food far different from the regular tuwo and watery beans in the kitchen.

I will not forget quickly, our platoon soldier who always complained at my matching. ''Opelenge come out here and match in front of all of us''! He would yell. I always came out with a large frown and red eyes, but this would not stop him from always picking on me. I so much disliked him, but we became friends by force when he discovered my dad is a retired military personnel and that I knew many of his bosses. Lol

My happiest day was when my relocation application was approved. I was very happy, I could not be happier. I was redeployed to Ogun State.

Part Two

MY NYSC STORY (PART TWO)

It is worthy of note also, that the second picture was taken on August 2nd, 2015, at NYSC secretariat, Okeilewo, Abeokuta, Ogun State.

I ended the last episode by gisting you I was relocated to Ogun State, and how I could not contain my joy.

We became the envy of many of our colleagues who either did not apply for reposting or were turned down. They told us so much challenges we would face in our new state, but I waved it aside by telling them I would rather face those challenges than to remain in the north. At this point, they kept their mute.

My camp experience is also incomplete however, if I do not mention the story of Mary and I. We had a great fight which nearly led to us exchanging blows. Lol. To quench your curiousity, I will throw a little more light on it.

Mary was my corner mate who is far older than me. We were initially best of friends, but come the second week, we became opponents. We had a little debate in our room on how to keep a man after marriage. (Like it was out of experience lol).

I humbly stated my opinion, that it is impossible to keep a man, no matter how humanly possible you try. You need to see the was Mary the Calabar girl told me off. She said I could not have anything reasonable to say because I was far too young to understand anything about marriage.

What?! I was furious! She maybe judged me by my stature, and how I said 'I love you too mom' to my mom each time my mom called. I said many unprintable things to her, I remember calling her a mere fat pig who would remain single for life.

Mary and I kept malice throughout my stay in camp! Even though we woke up to each other and came back to each other daily. She tried to become friends with me again, but I would not agree. Mary and I lost contacts since then, if you ever see her for me, tell her I have forgiven her.

Few months later, I got to know we were all unwise! We forgot to mention it that aside doing your human abilties, you need to also talk to God in prayer! Like I said, we were all unwise and novices. Back to business.

I remember loosing my voice for Lucas Eze, our platoon Mr Macho during the contest. I also remember how he turned me to toy, always placing me on his shoulder, raising me with one hand. People started to notice him with this feat. (LUCAS, YOU HAVE NOT THANKED ME). Even though you didnt win, you remain Mr macho in my heart. Lol

I immediately formed clique with my 'Ogun counterparts'. We left Kano immediately after camp POP. We boarded a cab together that took us to Lagos park, we filled up the 18 seater bus. I enjoyed this journey more than the previous. It was more real and interesting.

I bought stuffs at this place. Kilishi for my family etc. I remember buying at least something for every member of my family. An unsewed guinea material for dad, a jalamia dress for mom, everybody got something. I got home before realising I bought nothing for myself from my allawee.

You need to see the unquantifiable rain that greeted us in Zaria. I was perplexed! I was afraid! I thought the world had come to an end! We didnt notice the rain had beaten our luggage in the boot until we stopped over at a filling station in Kaduna to buy fuel.

My box which contained my credentials had been beaten by rain. We immediately made for our load. Luckily for me, my credentials were still intact as it was shielded by the nylon made bag. I kissed it unconsciously, and held it like a baby for the rest of my journey. Those who were not so lucky had sad tales to tell.

In the next 23 hours, I was at berger. I was welcomed by a taxi driver who wanted to exploit me, probably because he saw me on NYSC uniform, by now allowee was almost exhausted. I bargained and he agreed. When I got home, you should have seen the joy in my parents' eyes! They even insisted we left the change with the driver who brought me home.

I showered and started my 24 hours marathon sleep. I did not report in Abeokuta until the next week and after completing my registration, I was posted to Carol Intl School which was very close to my dad's residence.

At this point, there was no much fun. I visited home almost every weekend. I taught English language, Literature, Home Economics and Business Studies. I almost died. I never knew the value of teachers until this very point. I have made a vow never to be a teacher in my life. ( Dont quote me o).

One year seemed like one millennium. At a point, I got tired of flogging my students because of the blisters I sustained as a result. Writing lesson notes was tiring! Even having to teach forgetful students was even worse. Marking exam scripts, I do not want to remember. The weekly CDS was not helping matters. LGI was always coming on days I missed CDS and I always got punished.

A great event is about to take place. Where?, When?, Which?, What?, Who did it?, How?. These and many more coming soon.

PART THREE

It may excite you to be informed the last picture below was snapped few minutes after I collected my discharge certificate, preceeded by being sunned for hours like kilishi. The sweat washed away my makeup. *sad*

I promised to answer the 5Ws and H at the ending part of the last part (My friends call it episodes, lol), so here it goes;

What?: Today was my Passing Out Parade.

Which?: Headed by Brig Gen Olawumi.

Where? NYSC Zonal Headquarters, Odo Ado, Toll Gate, Ogun State.

When: Today, 14th April, 2016.

Who did it? Jesus!.

How? Miraculously.

What more should I say? Please before you congratulate me, help me thank this God. He is indeed wonderful, none can be compared.

To my faithful readers, God bless you all. I use myself as a point of contact, that those trusting God for a feat like this, will be answered quickly.

I am short of words, nothing more to say. Frankly, I didnt put in my best in these episodes. Most of them were written in a hurry and under pressure. But as soon as my story gets published, I will let you know, so you can grab the newspaper, or read online.

Please if you see NYSC Director General, please help me ask him not to stop my allowee. I end on this note.

2 Likes

Re: MY NYSC STORY By Omolola "Slim" Adeniyi by Skryptchex(m): 4:55am On Apr 16, 2016
Cant read all that.. ..congrats sha
Re: MY NYSC STORY By Omolola "Slim" Adeniyi by jasssbabe(f): 6:31am On Apr 16, 2016
Congrats dear

1 Like

Re: MY NYSC STORY By Omolola "Slim" Adeniyi by Alexk2(m): 12:54pm On Apr 16, 2016
Congrats dear....great future on all side in Jesus name

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Human Right Lawyer In Akwa Ibom State / UK Visa: Easy Steps, Requirements For Nigerian Citizens / Video And Motion Graphics Professional Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.