Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Fuel Scarcity: Between Promises And Providential Humbling - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: Between Promises And Providential Humbling (484 Views)

APC Has Failed To Fulfill Promises And Restore Hope – Goodluck Jonathan / Buhari Only Made 3 Promises And Has Fulfilled Them: Femi Adesina / Fuel Scarcity Set To Hit Nigeria Again.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: Between Promises And Providential Humbling by oluphilip2008(f): 5:17pm On Apr 16, 2016
Few days ago, I wrote about the disclosure by Ibe Kachikwu, a technocrat given political appointment, and upbraiding from Tinubu, a typical politician so adept at double speak. Kachikwu had said we won't get fuel until May. Tinubu nearly said he was foolish to say so. Kachikwu swallowed the humble pie and gave April 7 as the 'new' date for availability. But we all knew Tinubu's anger towards Kachikwu had nothing to do with fuel.

My issue now is that no one seems to be communicating with us over this fuel thing. First, someone, in a moment of inexplicable giddiness, said what we had under Jonathan was "artificial surplus". Now, we are having " real scarcity". No be so? Can someone let us have artificial surplus even for one week? There is even a greater surprise for me. Here is it:

Before, Department of Petroleum Resources always shut down any filling station selling beyond the normal price. As I speak with you, the last time I bought fuel at N86 was FIVE weeks ago. The least I had bought since then is N140. Filling station owners don't even bother selling at any official price and no one is questioning them. Why? Government is helpless. Why are they helpless? The mistimed and ill-advised subsidy removal of January (done secretly though) is coming back to haunt us even when it has been reversed.

What is the implication of all the social and economic upheavals we are facing? It shows how God has a way of humbling us mortals. Perhaps, He wanted to show some people that ultimate wisdom resides with Him and no one else. Meaning? It is easy to shout and criticise when in opposition. Very easy to promise heaven and earth. Telling the populace that electricity will be available within TWO months of your party getting to power. Promising that fuel will be readily available at N40 per litre. Telling us that within six months, you would create SIX MILLION jobs. Chibok Girls would be found. I can go on.

As a citizen, I do not expect my president or minister of petroleum to be a magician. Running a disjointed and bastardised entity like Nigeria is no tea party. But when you make promises, even in our private lives, the burden of delivery will always be on you. Not on those reminding you of your promises as is the case now. My sympathy is with those educated folks who helped spread these promises. Giving authoritative statements over what they had NO control over. Just to market the candidate and party they supported.

Oh...lest I forget. "16 years of rot cannot be cleared in 11 months". My question: were you aware of the rot when you helped spread these promises? If you were, then you can figure out who is being unreasonable here...

-by Samuel Ajayi
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Between Promises And Providential Humbling by babyfaceafrica: 5:32pm On Apr 16, 2016
Ok
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Between Promises And Providential Humbling by rexel99: 6:28pm On Apr 16, 2016
Brilliant piece.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

#cctvssaraki Judge, Danladi Umar Assumes Role Of Witness Answers Questions For E / 'Arms deal scandal is $15bn and not $2.1bn' - EFCC source claims / Buhari's Economic Policies Archaic - Ezekwesili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.