Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Do You Get Frustrated? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Do You Get Frustrated? (779 Views)

Diary Of A Fblog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Get Frustrated? by Cactus(m): 1:24pm On Aug 04, 2009
For the past two hours, I have been searching for domain names that I can buy. Most likely looking for two domain names. Relating to media.

I have searched, different name combination, numbers, web2.0ish style names like flickr, things like that but nothing to be found. I cant remember where I saw this line but it goes something like this

Domain names are like girls, the good ones are already taken.

Unfortunately, there is no option but to continue searching until I find a decent one. I have looked at sedo.com snapnames.com just soooooooooooooo friggin expensive. OH MY

The reality is, domain names will become expensive if they are being resold like sedo

I bought my name once, and didnt have money to renew let it go, someone snapped it, I emailed the person and the person was talking give me 1000$ I give you back your name. oh my

This is highway robbery not at gunpoint but bazookapoint

Does anyone get frustrated searching for domain names?
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by yawatide(f): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2009
he he, as i always say, there are 6billion ppl on this planet.  What you are thinking of right now, 6b ppl minus 1 are thinking the same thing wink

I am so paranoid (and maybe ignorant  tongue) that I don't search for domains unless I am ready to purchase. Why? cos I swear, there is someone sniffing what is being searched on and is ready to snap it up if it makes sense.  It happened to a friend recently - he searched for a domain to purchase and it was available.  By the time he went back the next day to get it, it was done - fiam! grin

I know how you feel.  There was a time I went through a dictionary for words ending in "cious" with the intent of registering such a domain and guess what? *every* single one of them was taken, most of which were by squatters.

Ever since someone bought business.com for $7m, everyone and anyone is seeking quick cash (or so they think) by squatting on names. What they don't realize is that the .com days are over.  Personally, if a domain I am looking for is one I really, really want and is taken, if it means getting it as .info, I would rather do that than bother myself dealing with a squatter.  Hopefully sooner rather than later, the law of demand and supply sets in, with a lower demand running the squatters out of business.

You wanna know what frustrates me though?

Glad you asked grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-305362.0.html
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by Cactus(m): 3:49am On Aug 05, 2009
Stealing names when people are searching unfortunately happens.

I tried to target max 6 characters in the domain name. But now seems like to find something decent one has to add more characters up to 10.

Keep searching hope to find something.

I am now thinking about names in other languages. i tried nigeria in chinese. niriliya.com already take aarghhhhhhhhhhhhhh FML.

@yawatide You can look at this post not pro but hopefully soon
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-304358.0.html
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by Cactus(m): 9:56am On Aug 05, 2009
well I got my domain. Had to choose from this list

picobin.com
imgobin.com
imgwired.com
wiredimg.com
clubimg.com
imglust.com
lustimg.com
imgloft.com my decision
phozine.com
imgcafe.com

Dealing with pictures that is why
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by yawatide(f): 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2009
Wow! Nice photos. As I mentioned in one of my posts, I am thinking of getting into photography. What camera do you use? I haven't bought one yet. I have sourced for a school of photography and hope to start in the next few months. Did you study a book, take a class or pretty much wing it as you went?

Once again, nice photos.
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by Cactus(m): 12:57pm On Aug 05, 2009
Winging it as I go. Fake it till you make it.

I have thought about going to photography school. It is something that I am planning for.

Sometimes you get great pictures, like the kids looking out from the car. and sometimes you get horrible pictures. I might have taken over 20 000 pictures but maybe only 2000 ok. lol

It is a nice hobby though expensive hobby.

I use a Sony Alpha A350 + 70 - 300mm zoom lens + 18 - 70 lens + flash

Nothing much to my collection of gear yet hopefully go pro someday. Expensive.

Thanks for the comment
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by ThePhantom(m): 5:37pm On Aug 05, 2009
@yawa-ti-de

Not everyone squatting on names are trying to make a buck on the domain name. Some people actual squat because of the same reason the poster and you have mentioned, you see a domain a minute the next minute it is taken. I have about 29 domains name that I am not using yet but plan on using soon, when that time come I don't have to start searching or coming up with names. Also, if someone does offer me the right amount for one of my domains, I might let it go smiley
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by yawatide(f): 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2009
cactus:
Thanks for the tips.  I was driving in to work today when I heard about this site on the radio:
http://www.floridasunrises.com/

All this guy does is wake up each day, go to the beach, take a photo of the sunrise and sell them to people on special occasions ("how about showing your kid 25 years later the sunrise on the day he was born?"wink.  He sells as low as $10. Might sound cheap, but imagine if say, 1000 pple ask for it, even over the course of a year.  That is $10K for doing nothing but wake up a few hours early each day to take a photo of the sun rise at the beach.  Originality to the max!

Now, I am waiting for all the "*naija*sunrise.com" copy cats to follow, he he.

Phantom:
You first said:
Not everyone squatting on names are trying to make a buck on the domain name.

but then you said:
Also, if someone does offer me the right amount for one of my domains, I might let it go

So at the end of the day, even if it is a .0001% chance, money is still a motivational factor.

enough said
Re: Do You Get Frustrated? by ThePhantom(m): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2009
Isn't money a motivational factor in everything?

Well, you are right enough said.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want To Become A Webdeveloper And Own You Web Company / 150 000 Emails Adress Free Dowload / Free Hosting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.