Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China (26753 Views)

Youths Boo Ozekhome At Gani Fawehinmi Lecture / A Bigger Gani Fawehinmi's Statue Erected At Ojota (Photo) / Feyi Fawehinmi: I’m Sorry If I Convinced Anyone To Vote For This Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by opalu: 3:40pm On Apr 17, 2016
Great
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 17, 2016
banmee:

Nigeria was never great.

I agree with u.

Nigeria should try to be great now. We hv never be great at anytime in d past.

3 Likes

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Dapsin2901: 3:42pm On Apr 17, 2016
Nice right
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by 4nobody4every1: 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2016
Flashh:

They don't eat this kind of good food. grin
grin grin cool

2 Likes

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by bigtt76(f): 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2016
We're in on a long tin grin
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by banmee(m): 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

The hypocrisy of the West is just amazing. It's okay for them to swap currency with China but heinous for any African country to follow suit!

That is not what they are telling you. They see what you all don't want to acknowledge. The mentality of Nigerians cannot make it work because of corruption. It does not matter what great policies you put in place, corruption will destroy it. Just because western economies do it and it works for them, does not mean it will work for Nigeria. For example. The western world has refineries. So does Nigeria. Do the ones in Nigeria function? Nigeria has roads. So does the western world. Are the roads in Nigeria pliable? The western world has power generating means. So does Nigeria. When last did you have 24hr uninterrupted power supply? Nigerians have good ideas but lack the knowledge, will, or virtue to make anything worthwhile work. Corruption is the bane of the country.

7 Likes

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by theV0ice: 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2016

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Pidggin(f): 3:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
Yippee!!! We get to import more and more Chinese fake products into our country, and what will they do with the swapped Naira? Buy Nigerian products? Do you buy Nigerian products yourselves? what do we export into the Chinese market and what is the volume of our export compared to what we import from them?

Never take the Chinese for fools, they are swapping with our dollars not Naira, please stop spreading false information to gullible Nigerians

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Chukzyfcb(m): 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2016
Pidggin:
Yippee!!! We get to import more and more Chinese fake products into our country, and what will they do with the swapped Naira? Buy Nigerian products? Do you buy Nigerian products yourselves? what do we export into the Chinese market and what is the volume of our export compared to what we import from them?

Never take the Chinese for fools, they are swapping with our dollars not Naira, please stop spreading false information to gullible Nigerians
Very true, links are littered online that says a portiion of our dollar reserve is converted to yuan. I dnt think naira is the currency converted.

2 Likes

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by musicwriter(m): 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2016
There's absolutely no reason we should have the double problem of official Yuan price and paralleled Yuan price; like the dollar. Otherwise, we would be back to square-one as predicted by Governor Fayose.

Any Nigerian who want to import from China should be able to simply go to his/her bank, fill a fund transfer form, and have money transferred to China. It should be as simple as that!!. Of course, unless the Nigerian factor CORRUPTION kicks in. And if that happens I'll lose hope on the Buhari administration and his ability to navigate Nigeria out of this economic crisis.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by dokunbam(m): 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2016
laurel03:
"Instead of the headache of dealing with 3 currencies, the dollar element is now removed and we have a normal 2"
#PMB Nagode 4 ds 1..... chilled fura 4 u as u no dey drink ogogoro like our ex oga..
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Deen77: 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2016
banmee:

That is not what they are telling you. They see what you all don't want to acknowledge. The mentality of Nigerians cannot make it work because of corruption. It does not matter what great policies you put in place, corruption will destroy it. Just because western economies do it and it works for them, does not mean it will work for Nigeria. For example. The western world has refineries. So does Nigeria. Do the ones in Nigeria function? Nigeria has roads. So does the western world. Are the roads in Nigeria pliable? The western world has power generating means. So does Nigeria. When last did you have 24hr uninterrupted power supply? Nigerians have good ideas but lack the knowledge, will, or virtue to make anything worthwhile work. Corruption is the bane of the country.

Excellent, yes corruption but no nation is totally free, it can be reduce. That why they rate corruption country by country. Gradually we can reduce ours too.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by prinsam30: 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2016
still on this China naija issue? make una let the matter rest like dat na

meanwhile That moderator wey banned me, the thunder wey go correct ur name still dey search for the missing chibok girls.

I have been insulted on this forum several times, they called me zombie, one of the moderators even joined in the insult but I won't mention names, and I'm still seeing those "Innocent Until proven guilty" posting topics and making comments. No wahala.

All I know be say "No b everybody wey pass through school Na im school pass through am"

Some overgrown pass their age thereby making them reasoning through their Ânus.

Just speaking my mind, because this is the best way to fight corruption, it starts with me and you, and if this shít of mine pain anybody, I'm sorry, No apologies, you can ban me again

Babe. The love I have for you it's like copied assignment I just can't explain it
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Flets: 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2016
Why do Nigerians refuse to reason beyond their noses?

In a case of currency swap (lets say 1bn yuan swaps for 30bn naira), what would china be doing with the naira? What Nigerian export would they be paying for using the naira?

Obviously china would not be swapping for a naira at a rate less than global exchange rate..... rather it would be at a higher exchange rate.

What is Buhari's fall back plan at tackling what is coming his way from the west? The power play behind petro-dollar is beyond demand and supply.... no developing nation has survived it.

What is Buhari's plan in terms of diplomacy? Screaming anti-west rants on NL can't save Nigeria if the west is really against this move.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by KingsleyTMTTM(m): 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2016
let's see how this goes...
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Electroweb(m): 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
ecotwins:
Swap It, Don’t Break It

Imagine you are China. You sell a lot of stuff to the world. In fact, your whole economy is based on selling things to the world. You have an incentive to make trade as smooth as possible with other countries especially when it comes to making payments.

Swap It

But you have another dilemma. You are not a wholly open economy. You like to control your currency as much as you can to make it undervalued in a way that benefits your manufacturers. If you let the currency trade freely like the dollar or Pound, the market will probably value it higher than you want which will make your products more expensive.

So, the way you can achieve this is by tightly controlling the amount of your currency that is available around the world. Unlike the US dollar that is widely available around the world to the extent that countries like Ecuador can decide to adopt the dollar as their currency without getting permission from the US, you can’t do that with the Chinese Yuan.

These 2 issues — trading with the world and tightly controlling the circulation of your currency — are in tension with each other. So how to solve it?

A Simple Story of Swaps

Or if you prefer the ‘technical’ name — Bilateral Currency Swap Agreements. Depending on who initiates the swap, a simplified version will work something like this.

Nigeria wants to make life easier for its traders who buy a lot of stuff from China. As Nigeria doesn’t sell much to China, it is not easy for the CBN to build up Chinese Yuan reserves. This means that for any trader who wants to buy stuff from China, they have to get prices in dollars. This adds costs and risks given that the person in China giving the quote has to convert Yuan to dollars before sending to Nigeria, bearing in mind the risk of currency moves affecting his bottom line. The Nigerian guy then has to buy dollars to make the payment to him. From the point of view of the CBN, this is extra dollar demand that can be avoided.

So CBN approaches the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) and asks to set up a swap. Xe.com tells me that 1 Chinese Yuan is currently worth about N30. So for the sake of simplicity, let’s say CBN offers to swap N30bn for Y1bn. Both of them agree an exchange rate on the day of the swap (N30 to Y1) and they make the transfer.

Now that CBN has some Yuan, it can then sell it to Nigerian banks in the same way it sells them dollars. The Nigerian trader can then tell his Chinese trading partner to give him a quote in Yuan instead of dollars. Once he has the Yuan quote, the trader can then go to a Nigerian bank and make a request for Yuan in the same way he used to make requests for dollars. Instead of the headache of dealing with 3 currencies, the dollar element is now removed and we have a normal 2-way quote.

This takes off some dollar demand pressure as people who want to buy stuff from China can face their Yuan squarely while the dollar people face their dollars. At least we get to know who is who. All of this is, of course, conditional on the amount of Yuan being swapped.

But what are the Chinese guys going to do with their N30bn? Same thing — they can now pay in naira for anything they buy from their Nigerian trading partners.

Chinese Swaps

For a number of years now, the Chinese have been entering into these swap agreements with various countries on a country by country basis. The swaps typically last for 3 years after which they are renewed and/or increased. As an example, in 2012, the UK signed a swap agreement for Y200bn with China. Last year, it was extended and increased to Y350bn.

The map below shows the countries that had swaps with China as at 2015, per the PBOC

China Swaps

China’s bilateral currency swap agreements with other central banks — 2015

And here’s a table with the agreements and amounts swapped.

Swap Table

China’s swap agreements and its counterparties — 2015

As you can see, Nigeria is coming very late to the party. Perhaps, this might open the gates in Sub-Saharan Africa. It’s also clear they are done on a country by country basis depending on the amount of trade that goes on between them (although the exact correlation is not so easy to work out).

You’re probably asking — if the agreements are for 3 years, what happens at the end? In theory, both countries simply exchange currencies at the same exchange rate they used at the beginning of the swap. Returning to the example above — Nigeria will return the Y1bn to the PBOC and take back its N30bn from them. If this sounds too good to be true, it is. The person who initiated the swap will pay interest on the money it received at an agreed interest rate.

So What Did Nigeria Swap?

Given the above, inquiring minds probably want to know how much Nigeria swapped with China and when does the agreement begin? Well, this is Nigeria and nothing is ever straightforward as it should be.

Buhari Xi

“Nice to meet you, President Eleven Jinping”

First of all, it appears that the swap Nigeria entered into was with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) — the world’s largest bank by assets. That is, the CBN is not dealing with the PBOC but with a ‘private’ Chinese bank (ICBC is owned by the Chinese government).

Second, I have trawled the internet and cannot find the amount that was or is being swapped. As you can see from above, there has to be an amount swapped for it to make any sense. I have searched Chinese news outlets and even ICBC’s news page and cannot find anything on the swap let alone the amount. The news appears to have originated from Nigerian officials who briefed the media. In contrast, Dangote did get a $2bn expansion loan from ICBC and this was announced.

When They Come Back Home

So that’s that about that. Perhaps when they come back home from China, we will get more details from them. But based on this, we know what questions to ask (I’m talking to you Nigerian journalists).

Why was the swap signed with ICBC and not PBOC? How much is being swapped and for how long? And (bonus question), what is the interest rate to be paid? (We can assume the CBN initiated the swap and will be the one to pay interest on the Yuan it receives). How will the Yuan market be priced? Will it be another ‘official’ and parallel rate mess like we currently have with the dollar? This is a trick question because, if it is market priced, we shall have plenty of fun with the contradictions in pricing the dollar ‘officially’ and the Yuan by the market.

But that’s enough speculation for one post

FF tweets via @DoubleEph

This piece was initially published on Medium.com. Republished here with permission from the author.
source: http://www.africanliberty.org/feyi-fawehinmi-how-to-make-sense-of-nigerias-currency-swap-deal-with-china/

Nice write-up @ OP. But why is the dollar still trading high in the parallel market. One would expect that as demand decreases, prize will fall. Can you answer this?
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Pidggin(f): 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Very true, links are littered online that says a portiion of our dollar reserve is converted to yuan. I dnt think naira is the currency converted.

This is how they spread false information all over social media. What is so painful is that Nigerians are so gullible, most people never ask questions talk less of carry out their own research. Why will China swap their currency with an unstable Naira which will soon be devalued? Besides what is the volume of our export to China that will make them swap Yuan for it.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2016
banmee:

So because there's corruption in the land we should not try to help ourselves. In fact, your post is a non sequitur. When we toed the line of the West in days of yore, wasn't there corruption in our land? I'm afraid your argument is neither here nor there.

And one more thing, we have the "knowledge, will and virtues to make things worthwhile".

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by shehuolayinka(m): 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2016
Nice op. Nigeria can only stand up and defend this, if the Buhari government can furnish us with more information about the deal. Anybody or country still siding and taking the West and America serious; is sitting on a long thing.

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by banmee(m): 4:04pm On Apr 17, 2016
Deen77:

Excellent, yes corruption but no nation is totally free, it can be reduce. That why they rate corruption country by country. Gradually we can reduce ours too.

Very correct. All Nations has some form of corruption/lawlessness in it's society. The important thing is how is it tackled? How is it seen by the general public? In Nigeria it is seen as a way of life. Most likely, If you own a car in Nigeria, you are corrupt. That is how bad it is in Nigeria. There is no sign of it being reduced in Nigeria. In normal societies, you will think long and hard before you do anything illegal because someone is always watching. In Nigeria, it is as reflective as breathing.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by banmee(m): 4:09pm On Apr 17, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

So because there's corruption in the land we should not try to help ourselves. In fact, your post is a non sequitur. When we toed the line of the West in the days of yore, wasn't there corruption in our land? I'm afraid your argument is neither here nor there.

I am not saying that Nigeria, and by extension Nigerians, should not help themselves, but you need to prioritize yourselves. Just because you are thirsty does not mean you should use a basket to fetch water. First, get a proper means of acquiring the water you need, then fetch the water. Not doing that is a waste of time and resources. There are things Nigerians need to learn to do before making bold alliances and decisions. Nigerians cannot maintain a university hostel's toilet, and they want to maintain a humongous trade/currency partnership with china. Ok. Good luck with that.

2 Likes

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by edjeodiri(m): 4:11pm On Apr 17, 2016
Let's hope for the best in all these.....come to think of it, "Buhari xi....President eleven jinping" is quiet hillarious. I belive PMB won't be stupid enough to enter into an agreement that will be detrimental to the Nigerian traders with the Chinese government.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by forap(m): 4:14pm On Apr 17, 2016
China can buy our crude oil with the naira

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Adesiji77: 4:14pm On Apr 17, 2016
Hmm...I was just about to read this article when i noticed it on FP.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by naijareferee: 4:16pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

U dey mind them. Chinese and Taiwan products are bad, yet Foxconn technology Ltd makes electronic components for big American and European companies e.g Apple.

Na the mumu Nigerians wey no fit make ordinary toothpick yet can yab China.....na dem deserve pity.

If you're smart and want quality, China will give it to you.

If you're stupid, crooked and want quantity, dem no go deny you. They sell to angels and devils. As long as the money comes.

so china products are golden now because buhari has cut some slack deals from them.
Yet u people diminish innosons vehicle calling them chinese just because he does not speak your tongue.
Hypocricy and double speaking will move us no wher.
We got a loan in yuan and paying back in dollars....u call that a deal.
Currency swap...who does the writer think he can decieve...what will china do with the naira swap they will recieve...buy oil...na na
the same shit we signed with russia for ajeokuta steel which ensured russian coals are used perpetually thereby condemin nigeria coal is about to repeat itself in different form.

I understand the excitement...baba has been round the world with no deals...
So i guess to u this chinese deal is better than no deal for almost a year now.

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:38pm On Apr 17, 2016
banmee:

I am not saying that Nigeria, and by extension Nigerians, should not help themselves, but you need to prioritize yourselves. Just because you are thirsty does not mean you should use a basket to fetch water. First, get a proper means of acquiring the water you need, then fetch the water. Not doing that is a waste of time and resources. There are things Nigerians need to learn to do before making bold alliances and decisions. Nigerians cannot maintain a university hostel's toilet, and they want to maintain a humongous trade/currency partnership with china. Ok. Good luck with that.

I understand your concern, but I'm tired of the shenanigans of the West! The fact that our government came up with this bold step has given me renewed hope, that someone somewhere is thinking outside the box. And get one thing very clear: the West has always been the enemy (albeit a veiled one), they even have their agents within our ranks! We've put up with their condescending postures and subtle threats for much too long, it's time we put our faith elsewhere.

We are not declaring war on the west, but we should be free enough to choose our allies.

Kindest regards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 17, 2016
Pidggin:

do u kw foxcon, largest manufacturer of apple product, is in China. the Chinese manufacture good quality product, it is Nigerian importers that orders for inferior goods. currently we don't have the infrastructure to start manufacturing. wen u talk of Nigeria product I begin to imagine wat u talking abt. most of Nigeria product are just assembled product.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by banmee(m): 4:51pm On Apr 17, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

I understand your concern, but I'm tired of the shenanigans of the West! The fact that our government came up with this bold step has given me renewed hope, that someone somewhere is thinking outside the box. And get one thing very clear: the West has always been the enemy (albeit a veiled one), they even have their agents within our ranks! We've put up with their condescending postures and subtle threats for much too long, it's time we put our faith elsewhere.

We are not declaring war on the west, but we should be free enough to choose our allies.

Kindest regards.

Which Is why I said Nigerians need to get their act right before doing anything else. Every nation is selfish. That is how the game is played. Nigerians should know this by now. If China had nothing to gain from this alliance they wouldn't be doing it. They definitely have more to gain than we do.

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by walexy14(m): 4:52pm On Apr 17, 2016
More questions than Answers
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by 989900: 4:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
The article clearly articulates what we all think it is, or should be.

However, like I stated in another thread, it is a developing story, and as with developing stories, you have to wait for more facts before drawing 'firm' inferences.

The vibes feels good though already.
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Folksyharry(m): 4:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
This deal is definitely going to benefit us especially now that our dollar reserve is low. It's a very shrewd move by the FG. I hope they won't forget to diversify the economy along the way.

1 Like

Re: Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China by Pidggin(f): 5:01pm On Apr 17, 2016
charliboy654:

do u kw foxcon, largest manufacturer of apple product, is in China. the Chinese manufacture good quality product, it is Nigerian importers that orders for inferior goods. currently we don't have the infrastructure to start manufacturing. wen u talk of Nigeria product I begin to imagine wat u talking abt. most of Nigeria product are just assembled product.

Yeah, so why would any one believe that China would swap their Yuan for Naira? SMH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: Atiku Vs. Buhari, By Reuben Abati / ADM: Atiku's Parents Were Not Nigerians - Man Who Claims To Know His Father / Hawker Spotted Selling His Wares Singing With The Major Candidates (pix/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.