Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence (27894 Views)

5 Times Wole Soyinka Criticised Pres. Buhari This Year / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / Counter Thread To The Thread "Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Carrottop(m): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2016
T
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by adioolayi(m): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2016
What the elders see while sitting.... a young man cannot see even if he climbs iroko tree grin

Prof is observing...he will speak at the fullest of time grin

God bless Nigeria

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by musicwriter(m): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2016
The truth is Wole Soyinka has done his best as far as activism in Nigeria is concerned. The baton is now on our hands- we Nigerian youths!.

However, I believe it would've been better for him to stay out of partisan politics and just remain neutral. That way he could speak up no matter who's ox is gored.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by amtaken(f): 4:04pm On Apr 17, 2016
Soyinka shamelessly supported Buhari's candidacy and is now so ashamed to criticise him.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by anonimi: 4:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
Maybe he too has been COMPROMISED. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by breakeven: 4:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
The man is tired of making noise about inept leadership in Nigeria. Moreover, he is old, he would like to die in his house peacefully and not in prison. undecided he is aware of Bubu antecedent in power. After all is Nigeria worth dying for?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by BrightEye(m): 4:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
r
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Zieristclair(m): 4:09pm On Apr 17, 2016
Naijiant:

It's not about "fighting". It is about speaking out against evil.

Read the piece and stop criticising for the sake of it. Soyinka's sacrifices as a young man were acknowledged.
Then it is left for you to start championing your own, rather than ranting on the internet...anyway,hope you aren't a PDP wailer sha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2016
I don't even care if he has been compromised or not. At 82 years, I'm surprised you still expect him to be making noise on your behalf. If your grandparents or parents are alive, how come you're not pressing them to do the same. It's a man that has spent his youth, his adulthood and even a chunk of his old age speaking on your behalf that you're still waiting for to still do so. Be there o. Keep waiting. Even after he dies, you can keep waiting for him to come back to fight your battles.

Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by ricsman(m): 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:
@OP, How many fights have you been involved in since you were born?

Soyinka tasted prison as a 28 year old fighting injustice in 1962. He went to prison again for 3 years because of Biafra in 1967. Countless brushes with the govts since then.

Where were you in 2010 when he, bakare, odumakin etc were trekking under the sun for Jonathan to be set free from Turai's cage?

Were you not on earth when he was televised advising buhari to convene an economic summit?

You want an 82 year old man to be fighting your battle? Are you not ashamed? You stay on internet ranting everyday and you stay waiting for a grand father to keep fighting for your future. A 23 year old Tunisian started the Arab spring, what are you waiting for?

The man has paid his dues pls. Let him enjoy the few years he has left abeg.
guy u finish the writer of this trash walahi! I doubt if its the op. who ever it is is a big old child

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 17, 2016
Smh. The ignorance and immorality in this country is infectious. So, Soyinka's already paid the price for truth and should be commended for his Silence? Wow. The ignorance on this thread in sickening. So can I say the man has died in him?

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by professore(m): 4:12pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

Soyinka tasted prison as a 28 year old fighting injustice in 1962. He went to prison again for 3 years because of Biafra in 1967. Countless brushes with the govts since then.

Where were you in 2010 when he, bakare, odumakin etc were trekking under the sun for Jonathan to be set free from Turai's cage?

Were you not on earth when he was televised advising buhari to convene an economic summit?

You want an 82 year old man to be fighting your battle? Are you not ashamed? You stay on internet ranting everyday and you stay waiting for a grand father to keep fighting for your future. A 23 year old Tunisian started the Arab spring, what are you waiting for?

I like the part where u said "the man has paid his dues.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
adioolayi:
What the elders see while sitting.... a young man cannot see even if he climbs iroko tree grin

Prof is observing...he will speak at the fullest of time grin

God bless Nigeria
I don't believe that. The elders are not really as smart as we make them appear. Even fools become Elders.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by domopps(m): 4:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
Naijiant:

I want the same things Soyinka wanted as a young man - for good people to speak out against evil.

Which evil are you talking about ! What step have u taking as a youth!

I guess you wanted him to call Buhari names

Cheeeeeers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Nobody: 4:15pm On Apr 17, 2016
domopps:

Which evil are you talking about ! What step have u taking as a youth!

I guess you wanted him to call Buhari names

Cheeeeeers
He's not asking for names. He's simply asking for the activist to speak up in this hard time.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by tfcinvests: 4:16pm On Apr 17, 2016
The article epitomizes clarity in mind of the writer as you have clearly expressed your well researched and articulated thoughts,i tutored under Tai Solarin...My entire family had a 15 years training under him..but would Tai solarin look at Wole Soyinka,Adams Oshiomole and the likes a fellow comrade of then today and be proud of their divisive stands on national issues as they face the nation..

Don't get me wrong i think by all standards as a light bearer for the next generation i have a personal advice for my generation stay away from politicians..They suck..you would end up compromising on what you would previously fight against destroying your conscience at the expense of your stand.The Soyinka of today isn't the Soyina i knew of as a kid..as a matter of fact when i read the Soyonka and the likes of Tunde Bakare write today and i read articles from people like Dr. Ganiyu Adams..it is clear whom education has benefited the most..Ganiyu Adams of with an assumed lower education standards excel in thoughts and wisdom that the so called democratic fighters as they brand themselves..i urge this generation to listen to people like Dr. Tokunbo Pearse Engr Tunji Olurin adviser in the OBJ'S cabinet and make your assessment if we aren't qualifying the likes of Soyinka by their past achievements..God help us all...

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by HomeOfMe(f): 4:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

Gbam!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Rossikki: 4:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
blaquemyc:
the old man needs rest, let him rest easy. Nobody stops you from becoming the next Soyinka
Exactly. OP, continue from where he left off. Soyinka was younger than you when he held up a radio station at gunpoint and forced them to reject tyranny. This is real activism, not hiding behind Facebook and instagram or whatever you people call it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by domopps(m): 4:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
Reyginus:
He's not asking for names. He's simply asking for the activist to speak up in this hard time.

And he is not speaking! Is he guilty of SILLENCE again?

Cheeeeeeers

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by HITTED(m): 4:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
The prof
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
Naijiant:

I'm speaking out against evil in Nigeria and also against those that fail to speak out.
Which evil pls?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 17, 2016
domopps:

And he is not speaking! Is he guilty of SILLENCE again?

Cheeeeeeers
Doesn't the man die in him who remains silent anymore?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Reference(m): 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2016
They are all waiting for someone to bell the cat since he is shackled by ethno-centric politicking. He took a political position that may become an albatross.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Balkan(m): 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2016
Yoruba man will always be a yoruba man. No matter how level of exposure
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by bammy777(m): 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

The man has done his.

Now you do yours.
. Who will the world listen to , soyinka or the unknown youth.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by EasternLeopard: 4:24pm On Apr 17, 2016
Soyinka is silent because he can't believe that a mere illiterate (Buhari) fooled Him.

Just like Awo, Soyinka who knew the truth , went against it when it matters most.

Soyinka should just quietly apologize to Nigerians and warn his sophisticated people never to repeat the same mistake

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by AntiWailer: 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

Well said. what else can I say

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by EasternLeopard: 4:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
Balkan:
Yoruba man will always be a yoruba man. No matter how level of exposure

Awo and Soyinka are men who knew the truth but went against it when it matters.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by naijagobetter(m): 4:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

well said

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by theV0ice: 4:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
bammy777:
. Who will the world listen to , soyinka or the unknown youth.

The world listened to an unknown 15yr old malala of Pakistan. The world listened to 23 year Bouazizi of Tunisia. The world listened to a 22 year old Enahoro

Try and speak to the world in an intelligent manner....they'll listen to you.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by erudean: 4:27pm On Apr 17, 2016
theV0ice:

Confra talk. Why won't you take sides?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Woeful Silence by Iwonimi(m): 4:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
See d way speak self.... I don't blame cos u re real Almajiri
Almajiri1:
Wole Soyinka is ameachi boy. He doesn't wish to starve in the next four years.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rivers Senators, State Assembly Members Pay Surprise Birthday Visit To Wike / Army Raids Boko-Haram Sambisa Camp In Borno / Bandits Kill 20 Security Operatives In Zamfara, Set Their Corpses On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.