Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,335 members, 7,954,363 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:33 PM

Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? (21247 Views)

Five Fastest Growing Small Scale Businesses In Nigeria / 10 Small Scale Businesses You Can Start With As Low As N5,000 / I Have N500,000 Cash, What Profitable Business Can I Start? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by GuDErboY(m): 1:09pm On Apr 18, 2016
With branches for all 36 states sef.......lol
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by bejeria101(m): 2:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
refiner:

...haba!..oga!shocked...

I wonder o! E be like na worldbank him dey work.

1 Like

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
I have a friend who spent 750k on a canteen on his own property in a very rural area, last time I checked on him , he said he is still pumping in more money.

2 Likes

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Niyinficient(m): 4:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
refiner:
..it depends...buh it ought to be enoff..av u [/b]rent[b] a shop already?

Nothing hurts more than a lady's appalling use of diction.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by refiner(f): 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2016
Niyinficient:

Nothing hurts more than a lady's appalling use of diction.
....lol!...u sabi jare!smiley
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by gudxson: 4:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
Dear OP,

Am sure you are good to go. 500k inclusive of rent.

Just ensure you target the right location, in no time you will recover your investment.

i'll advise you source some equipment internally first in other for you to save cost. for instance, put to use for your business your home refrigerator if it doesn't serve much in your house, also those coolers, industrial cooking pots (for parties) etc. if you/any of your close relatives have them and can render them to you, please utilize the opportunity.

If you intend to wait for much higher capital to start your business, you may not achieve it because some unforeseen circumstance may impact negatively your cash at hand. Thereby making you postpone your start up day.

With 500k am sure you can kick off (150-180k rent), source for the things you can get free of charge from home/family and friends etc. buy the rest, and save at least 100k to implement any changes to your initial thought after starting your pilot sale (first 3 months).

The key lesson here is .... START no matter how much you have. ... you can start with its equivalent and begin to plan on expansion much later.

6 Likes

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Nairasolutions: 4:54pm On Apr 18, 2016
Never run your business like a roadside mechanic or mere artisan. Get professionally written, detailed business plan to serve as a road map and guide. It shows your executive summary, break-even analysis, feasilibity studies, cashflow projections, proven marketing strategies, start up cost etc we will also show you where you can submit it to get funding to start or expand your dream business. Collateral free loans with interest, business plan competitions, angel investors, crowd funding opportunities, business grants platform etc call 08167566759 or visit www.nairasolutions.com/bizplan

1 Like

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by wroskian(m): 6:11pm On Apr 18, 2016
@Damorchy, whether 500K would be enough is based on the class of restaurant you want to run(I guess you know what I'm talking about). Just come up with a strong feasibility study and business plan, then you'll be amazed how clear your direction would be.

When you eventually reach a conclusion, I could help supply bags of rice as well as design your banner or billboard. All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by saveall: 8:22pm On Apr 18, 2016
I guess you don't understand my question, I am not asking for where or how to get a bizz registered. I want requirements in Nigeria eg if there is an agency to check you and registrations to do. Thanks
tfcinvests:
@saveall Search business registrations in nairaland on the homepage and you get tons of people offering this service

1 Like

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by haul: 11:32pm On Apr 18, 2016
barapistis:

How much you get for consultation,
My reasons

Use to run restaurant before but not now,it something i like any way but i diverted into some other things,so if you need real time consultation and experience,then i am your guy......i am in ib too,

Cost of food shouldnt be more than 200 for a plate,....even if you beside p$ g

Rent shouldnt be more than 120,000 else you go catch fire,

Good environment and a proper drainage system to avoid dirts

Then knowledge of foods and markets,,i still dey rep for bodija

Pots are good tools ....you need to understand their uses

Type of food to cook is highly dependent on the environment

You most be healthy ,i mean very healthy and prayerful to run a restaurant in ibadan,...i get some experience

If you think you know more than this,then you dont need me,....sorry

Marketing,no really the in thing,
how beautiful your shop is dosnt concern ibadan people.....the secret

cook for a certain people who got your money in their hands and a tongue for your food.....speaking of ibadan and kaduna only
Dont know about other locations

I'm quoting you cause I will need your expertise on this topic in about months to come, I hope it isn't bad quoting you sir?

Well, I still believe we must have a target audience, the class of people you want to target, like me I'm targeting the people on the street, the hustlers, the people on the move not some elites, if the elites come around fine, and what I intend cooking is plainly going to fit to some areas in ibadan according to my survey, though we will talk sha I believe, cause I like meeting people who are vast in experience as you so we can learn from you sir. And I will be happy if you deem me worthy to be tutored. A young graduate though.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by barapistis(m): 4:11am On Apr 19, 2016
Do you have a location ...its one of the most difficult...will be ready to help too...not free

Look at this,

I guy,i mean i young guy with money decided to go into this busness,
Made all publicity he can do
rent was around a million
Place was cool
Good lightning
Average food cost was 300
......then the worst...he had to leave after six months
Of operation

The problem there was that he never projected how sales would go....there is no magic in restaurant business
Good luck

haul:

I'm quoting you cause I will need your expertise on this topic in about months to come, I hope it isn't bad quoting you sir?

Well, I still believe we must have a target audience, the class of people you want to target, like me I'm targeting the people on the street, the hustlers, the people on the move not some elites, if the elites come around fine, and what I intend cooking is plainly going to fit to some areas in ibadan according to my survey, though we will talk sha I believe, cause I like meeting people who are vast in experience as you so we can learn from you sir. And I will be happy if you deem me worthy to be tutored. A young graduate though.

1 Like

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by haul: 8:22am On Apr 19, 2016
barapistis:
Do you have a location ...its one of the most difficult...will be ready to help too...not free

Look at this,

I guy,i mean i young guy with money decided to go into this busness,
Made all publicity he can do
rent was around a million
Place was cool
Good lightning
Average food cost was 300
......then the worst...he had to leave after six months
Of operation

The problem there was that he never projected how sales would go....there is no magic in restaurant business
Good luck

Though, the kind of design I'm using is not used in naija, the place I saw such is cotonou, and the thing is renting a shop is not going to be part of it.

300naira is tooooooo outrageous to me. The economy is harsh so it will just be ridiculous, people will prefer to drink trophy beer of 160 or goldberg to expensive heineken or guiness cause of the economy.

I'm looking to build a kind of resturant that no matter the little you bring into the place you will find something to eat, yeah this is because of the market I'm targeting. Thanks and when I intend trust me, I will seek your expertise, obviously not free but baba you go help your boy oooo grin

I've got few locations in ibadan at mind though, this is the main reason I'm reaching out to you, so you can compare my produce to environment it will fit into.

Considering sales, I've got a projected target though, I'm not really expecting to hit a big margin first 3months but atleast a decent profit to first keep me in business then we intensify after we are well grounded.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by AmyMarins(f): 7:53pm On Apr 19, 2016
Viktor1983:
It depends on a lot of factors...
Rent..
Target Market..
I myself is also looking forward to invest in a restaurant. My budget is N1.5M, where the rent alone is expected to gulp half of funds..

If you intend spending half of that on rent alone, then even the balance might not do for installations, decor, kitchenwares n food stocking.

1 Like

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by AmyMarins(f): 8:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
haul:

Though, the kind of design I'm using is not used in naija, the place I saw such is cotonou, and the thing is renting a shop is not going to be part of it.

300naira is tooooooo outrageous to me. The economy is harsh so it will just be ridiculous, people will prefer to drink trophy beer of 160 or goldberg to expensive heineken or guiness cause of the economy.

I'm looking to build a kind of resturant that no matter the little you bring into the place you will find something to eat, yeah this is because of the market I'm targeting. Thanks and when I intend trust me, I will seek your expertise, obviously not free but baba you go help your boy oooo grin

I've got few locations in ibadan at mind though, this is the main reason I'm reaching out to you, so you can compare my produce to environment it will fit into.

Considering sales, I've got a projected target though, I'm not really expecting to hit a big margin first 3months but atleast a decent profit to first keep me in business then we intensify after we are well grounded.

Lo @ 3months! I remember when I started mine (was first basically deliveries, then a Diner). Someone told me i'd break even in 4months and I was like, "for what nau? 2months I give my self o". It's a year and 2months and guess what?.....am still fighting to make sure my baby (yes, cos I love what I do; cooking) keeps standing!

Not to scare you bruv, but u must know this:- The Restaurant business is not a come n go matter. You must have passion for it, cos it's what will keep u persistently in d biz. In this business, you'll keep investing until it finally starts yielding profits. Why? Cos you'd ve to pay many things from your pocket, for a minimum of 6months (well, unless you already have contacts in different places, for industrial catering)

I basically see it as a baby; it depends on you for so many stuff/assistance, until it finally can fend for itself n of course, start taking care of you in turn.

Finally, if u ask me what stage of life (growth) my Kitchen is at presently, i'd say " She's trying to grab everything at sight to stand by/lean on", before taking steady steps.

3 Likes

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by darmochy1(m): 11:02pm On Apr 19, 2016
AmyMarins:

Lo @ 3months! I remember when I started mine (was first basically deliveries, then a Diner). Someone told me i'd break even in 4months and I was like, "for what nau? 2months I give my self o". It's a year and 2months and guess what?.....am still fighting to make sure my baby (yes, cos I love what I do; cooking) keeps standing!

Not to scare you bruv, but u must know this:- The Restaurant business is not a come n go matter. You must have passion for it, cos it's what will keep u persistently in d biz. In this business, you'll keep investing until it finally starts yielding profits. Why? Cos you'd ve to pay many things from your pocket, for a minimum of 6months (well, unless you already have contacts in different places, for industrial catering)

I basically see it as a baby; it depends on you for so many stuff/assistance, until it finally can fend for itself n of course, start taking care of you in turn.

Finally, if u ask me what stage of life (growth) my Kitchen is at presently, i'd say " She's trying to grab everything at sight to stand by/lean on", before taking steady steps.
Thank you.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Viktor1983(m): 11:52pm On Apr 19, 2016
AmyMarins:

If you intend spending half of that on rent alone, then even the balance might not do for installations, decor, kitchenwares n food stocking.

Yea you are right, food stocking is not part of it...
With the situation of the Nigerian economy , the price of every thing has sky rocketed..
will find ways to do a couple of adjustments here and there....

2 Likes

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by anonimi: 2:05am On Apr 20, 2016
Viktor1983:

Yea you are right, food stocking is not part of it...
With the situation of the Nigerian economy , the price of every thing has sky rocketed..
will find ways to do a couple of adjustments here and there....

Despite the promise made last year to win our votes?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3430030_images17_jpeg7453be234d41ebdec865dd61317d8a9e

Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by haul: 2:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
AmyMarins:

Well, I really appreciate you great insight on this topic, and believe me I learnt a couple of things from you, if you don't mind I pm you and help look through my food menu type and try to tell me your opinion on it considering you already in it.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by AmyMarins(f): 7:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
haul:

Well, I really appreciate you great insight on this topic, and believe me I learnt a couple of things from you, if you don't mind I pm you and help look through my food menu type and try to tell me your opinion on it considering you already in it.

I'd be pleasured to help.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by haul: 9:43pm On Apr 21, 2016
AmyMarins:

I'd be pleasured to help.
Great, will send it through. Nice bumping into you grin
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Onuohasworld(m): 1:42am On May 06, 2016
HITTED:

Mr Onuoha Chukwudi! Everything is business. Na wa o embarassed
grin grin
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Nairasolutions: 8:35am On May 06, 2016
Contact us for a detailed business plan using that budget and any other profitable business visit www.nairasolutions.com/bizplan 08167566759
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by doublegist(m): 10:06am On Sep 08, 2017
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by betaessays: 11:25am On Sep 26, 2017
N500,000 is enough to start a restaurant business in Nigeria. However, you may have to stick to a low and middle class restaurant. Get our restaurant business plan in Nigeriato see how to make your business work regardless on how much capital you have.
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by Futureinvestors(m): 7:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
darmochy1:
Hello fellow nairalanders,

I'm currently working on starting a restaurant in Ibadan. I'm planning to start on a small scale before expanding it. The cash on ground right now is 500,000 naira.

I'll love to know if that amount is enough to start something reasonable. I'll love to learn from your wealth of knowledge in terms of the logistics involved amongst others.

Looking forward to your tips. Thanks.

My Dear Friend invest a token here.

Did you know?

The simplest way to earn 25% - 100% ROI MONTHLY on your Investment with no hassle with proven profitable proprietary strategies. No gimmicks. Just check it out and heed to my counsel. Just a minimum investment will do in Naira or US Dollars.

The truth no bank will reveal to you is out. Bank will always trade with your money and make profits off you without your consent while you warn yourself out at the office. Only you can change this right now!

With our system, After a month or two you can be rest assured to get your initial capital back and continue with your available profit.
No risk attached.
I will show a simple proof and that's enough otherwise I can't help you.

Access Link: https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=146044649358060&id=143350539627471

Note: Don't post your Phone or E-mail here please. Keep your details private.

Contact me only when you have such capital at hand to invest.
If you are in Lagos you can arrange a meet. Fine by me.

Regards.

@FutureInvestFX
Call or TEXT ur email to below contact
@+234*8*1*4*1*1*9*5*9*9*9
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by imhere: 9:00am On Nov 06, 2019
Food business we all know is profitable, you can carve a niche for yourself by venturing into Amala Joint Business. It is very lucrative and less stressful, very easy to start with low budget.
Do you know on a daily basis you can make not less than......
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/business/how-to-start-amala-joint-business-in-nigeria/
Re: Is N500,000 Enough To Start A Small Scale Restaurant? by konews: 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amazon Beats Apple And Google To Become The World’s Most Valuable Brand / MTN Scraps Early Debt Payment Amid Currency Shortage / Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.