Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency (17315 Views)

IPOB Different From Boko Haram, South East Governors Disagree With Presidency / Magu: Senate Plans Fresh Showdown With Presidency / APC Senators' Truce Talks Upset Saraki’s Alliance With PDP. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Ofunaofu: 4:48am On Apr 19, 2016
ABUJA—After a week long face-off between the Presidency and the National Assembly, indications emerged, last night, that the lawmakers had soft-pedaled on their tough stance by accepting to review the budget.

Vanguard learned that the change of heart by the legislators, who had earlier threatened to veto the President on the matter, followed series of rapprochement between the Presidency and the top echelon of the NASS since the return of President Muhammadu Buhari from China.

A competent Presidential source confirmed, last night, that the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, had also met severally with key functionaries of the NASS and explained to them the imperatives of reworking the budget in the overall interest of Nigerians.

The source said that even before Buhari returned to Abuja last Saturday, the major infractions committed by the Finance and Appropriations committees of the NASS, which had rendered the budget inoperative, had been laid bare before the leadership of the legislature and their support sought in reviewing it.

The top-ranking official explained to Vanguard that the leadership of the legislature was shocked to see the extent to which the budget had been distorted and huge sums of money diverted to what the Presidency considers ‘irrelevant’ and against national interest.

According to the official, the Presidency viewed what the lawmakers did to the budget as virtually ‘rewriting’ the budget by removing provisions for key national projects and replacing them with ‘personal’ items which add no real value to Nigerians.

The source said the distortions, which had already been compiled by ministers, who used most of last week to work on the fiscal document, caught the lawmakers napping in eight areas.

The eight major areas of budget infractions were said to have been presented to Buhari upon his return to Nigeria and he felt disappointed by the antics of those who committed the act against the nation.

The Presidency officials said the areas had been shown to the Senate President and Speaker of the House of Representatives, who were shocked to learn of the development.

One source close to the rapprochement said it was the stunning revelations from the Presidency that convinced the two leaders that the budget should be taken back and reviewed, given the level of distortions found in the document.

“After some formal and informal interactions, both leaders of the NASS have indicated willingness to reconsider the controversial appropriation bill,” a Presidency official confirmed last night.

Efforts to speak with the Minister of Budget, Sen. Udoma Udoma, proved abortive, as he did not pick his phone.

The minister’s Media Adviser, Mr. Akpandem James, could not also be reached for comments as at press time.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/nass-softpedals-reaches-truce-with-presidency/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by DonBobes(m): 5:19am On Apr 19, 2016
FTC ds early mrnin!

Abeg mak dem pass d budget nw. No tym pls!

3 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Burger01(m): 5:21am On Apr 19, 2016
All these evil budget padders and hijackers must be exposed and punished. Which kind of thievery people do we have in the government Are those people cursed?..they must be cursed. Awon endtine thieves. All they know about is stealing, stealing...stealing. Wetin!

It's about big time we started killing those thieves henceforth.... About time we enacted laws to kill corruption, corrupt people.. starting from that yam goat Dasuki.. Diezani, Saraki, that ram Mmetuh, Jonathan..kill them all! Jonathan must be sentenced for making a fvckery of the whole shait. This is way too much angry undecided

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by princemillla(m): 5:23am On Apr 19, 2016
P m B!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by kunlexy1759(m): 5:46am On Apr 19, 2016
The GOD Almighty will help Nigeria. I dnt just knw which adjective to use qualify our NASS members.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by emerged01(m): 5:47am On Apr 19, 2016
The rogues have no choice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by sammyp01: 5:58am On Apr 19, 2016
I. Think National Assembly is the Issue in this country.but thank God we have a bold president.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Pidggin(f): 6:00am On Apr 19, 2016
As expected that were "forced" to soft pedal

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by M4gunners: 6:00am On Apr 19, 2016
Nigeria is a failed Country quote me anywhere. Don't try to cover this. Since i was born, i have never seen a Country where a budget is being played like a nollywood film. Yet nobody is being held responsible for it, instead the fg is busy travelling from one Country to the other to accumulate more depth for us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by realestworld(m): 6:04am On Apr 19, 2016
Its obvious our president the "minister of culture" and tourism and NASS "the set of idiots who won't stop to buy new cars even in times of economic decline" wont stop acting nollywood movie with this budget of a thing.
April is almost gone and we still haven't seen any headway concerning this budget.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by MabraO: 6:11am On Apr 19, 2016
M4gunners:
Nigeria is a failed Country quote me anywhere. Don't try to cover this. Since i was born, i have never seen a Country where a budget is being played like a nollywood film. Yet nobody is being held responsible for it, instead the fg is busy travelling from one Country to the other to accumulate more depth for us.

OGA go sleep jare.. U not making sense

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by slimfit1(m): 6:20am On Apr 19, 2016
MabraO:

: (
Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by M4gunners: 6:21am On Apr 19, 2016
MabraO:

U just make sense i guess?Suffering and smiling. Keep off my mentioned.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by asfrank(m): 6:35am On Apr 19, 2016
M4gunners:

See this guy. U think its business as usual? When the budget is presented nd no serious review is done by the president before ascent? When d president is busy trying to see how things could be done in order, u r here spewing rubbish. If u hv followed d events surrounding fiscal document, nd privy to the level of distortion, den u would not be saying such things. As for Mr President nd his travelling, well u persons would always have something to say, if him no travel, una go call am local champion, now he is doing it una go still talk. But in any case d guy has to do what ever he feels would benefit d ppl of nigeria. I beg if such good things come around nd u r still busy playing politics to d extent d@ u would nt like to take ur share just call me en, make I take ur own!!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by adioolayi(m): 6:38am On Apr 19, 2016
This has been the practice over the years ....Cut overhead cost of important project that will benefit the masses....divert the cut cost to personal constituency projects of which they have provisions for in the NASS budget ..thereby making it impossible for government to fully implement the important project they budgeted for...and so NASS members become richer from such funds...after all, they won't implement any project.. all will be embezzled.
This is one of the major reasons they fight to head various committees in the NASS.

ROGUES!

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by otukpo(f): 6:38am On Apr 19, 2016
No, make dem continue fighting.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by bnanzip(m): 6:44am On Apr 19, 2016
It is known that the executive is more powerful than the legislative. Why trying to show us as if they can do and undo?
Only a corrupt executive will be afraid of the legislative.
NASS is a National ASS and disgrace

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by rottennaija(m): 6:59am On Apr 19, 2016
All these people above me, them no dey slp? And even if dem been slp, as them wake, them no dey worship God for morning?

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by superstar1(m): 7:00am On Apr 19, 2016
I have said it that 1million of NASS cannot veto the budget and they did not disappoint.

Na so dem dey veto Acts? Bunch of jokers.

There must be so many goodness package in this Budget, for devil and his agents (such as the budget padders, NASS, budget distortioners etc) to be so much hell bent in the original budget not seeing the light of day.

We need MFM prayer for that budget. Wallahi!!!.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by omenka(m): 7:01am On Apr 19, 2016
Democracy is overrated honestly.
Smh.

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by rottennaija(m): 7:02am On Apr 19, 2016
asfrank:

See this guy. U think its business as usual? When the budget is presented nd no serious review is done by the president before ascent? When d president is busy trying to see how things could be done in order, u r here spewing rubbish. If u hv followed d events surrounding fiscal document, nd privy to the level of distortion, den u would not be saying such things. As for Mr President nd his travelling, well u persons would always have something to say, if him no travel, una go call am local champion, now he is doing it una go still talk. But in any case d guy has to do what ever he feels would benefit d ppl of nigeria. I beg if such good things come around nd u r still busy playing politics to d extent d@ u would nt like to take ur share just call me en, make I take ur own!!

Don't mind him, he is just trying to make commonsense by making comment since he is in front page

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by superstar1(m): 7:03am On Apr 19, 2016
omenka:
Democracy is overrated honestly.

Smh.

Democracy is not the best form of government in some developing . Most especially African countries.

3 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by kuuljay(m): 7:22am On Apr 19, 2016
Wailers are very silent on this or they are still asleep, their senators allowed money meant for a major rail project to be diverted into constituency projects to be shared while other regions kept their own intact grin grin grin hatred blinds, such a pity

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 19, 2016
I know they can't escape this. They don't have options. This is just beginning for them. All eyes will now be on their fuc..ked up. With a lot of Nigerians having their numbers now, the jokes are on them more. If they change it again, it will be leaked out again

This is getting interesting. I know the day obj went to visit bubu,I know something is cooking up. Obj knows this people more than bubu, and having accused them recently of corruption, and they fired him back, I know he will expose them with all he has. Buhari asking for details of the budget is what they never expected. Now we know the real enemy of the state.
You can see why they support saraki by all means and refuse to support TSA and never partook in it.
Yet they still want to make money from budget padding from the executives.
Thank God Nigerians are waking up now and are more interested in affears of the nation.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Satex(m): 7:57am On Apr 19, 2016
adioolayi:
This has been the practice over the years ....Cut overhead cost of important project that will benefit the masses....divert the cut cost to personal constituency projects of which they have provisions for in the NASS budget ..thereby making it impossible for government to fully implement the important project they budgeted for...and so NASS members become richer from such funds...after all, they won't implement any project.. all will be embezzled.
This is one of the major reasons they fight to head various committees in the NASS.

ROGUES!

Very true! Am sure the current president is fully prepared to stop this mess from the NASS. By the time PMB is through with them, most of them are gonna sell some of their assets because of hardship. No more wuruwuru, free chop, etc.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by M4gunners: 8:16am On Apr 19, 2016
asfrank:

One zombie has just been identified. Something that will benefit us indeed. You mean like the fuel we produce in our Country we can't see it buy,but you are seriously hoping of something to benefit from your travelling master? I rather be an illiterate, than educated illiterate like you.
Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Sunnycliff(m): 8:24am On Apr 19, 2016
who dis budget drama Don epp?

They feel they have the whole time! We will soon be in the fifth month and a budget is not passed yet, I wonder when and how the implementation will take place!
Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by gurunlocker: 8:27am On Apr 19, 2016
Both presidency and NASS are clueless
Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by DAVECENA(m): 8:28am On Apr 19, 2016
What baffles me is that their 'billion' naira salary isn't sufficient for them that they have to go the extra mile by inducing frauds to the budget Money is the root of all evil..A good servant but a bad master.............Its brotherDAVE on the net.

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by Okijajuju1(m): 8:29am On Apr 19, 2016
Mtcheeew
Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by 5starmilitant: 8:29am On Apr 19, 2016
cheesy The administration is truly a laudable Laughable one.
Make I Laff jor
Kikikikikikikikikikikikikikikikikikikiki

1 Like

Re: 2016 Budget Row: NASS Softpedals, Reaches Truce With Presidency by johnwizey: 8:29am On Apr 19, 2016
Dere Father, dem for no re-think am nw. Dem tink say na GEJ still dey power

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ekiti 2018: FG Withholding Allocation To Favour Fayemi - PDP / Northern Govs In Jonathan’s Camp Are Deceiving Him –shehu Sani / Fulani Cattle Rustlers Repent In Jigawa,Sworn By Qur'an 2 Expose Other Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.