Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Akinwande, Nigerian Professor Who Will Receive America’s Highest Research Award - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Akinwande, Nigerian Professor Who Will Receive America’s Highest Research Award (894 Views)

Nude Photos Of UNILAG English Professor Who Molests Female Students Leaked! / Deji Akinwande Awarded PECASE By Obama / Deji Akinwande To Receive Presidential Award In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akinwande, Nigerian Professor Who Will Receive America’s Highest Research Award by ochukoccna: 9:29am On Apr 19, 2016
Deji Akinwande, a professor at the University of Texas Austin, is one Nigerian scaling hurdles, pushing boundaries and breaking stereotypes.

Akinwande has been identified by President Barack Obama, as one of the recipients of “the highest honour bestowed by the US government for science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers”.

Alongside 104 researchers, he will receive the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers in Washington DC later in the year.

“These early-career scientists are leading the way in our efforts to confront and understand challenges from climate change to our health and wellness,” Obama said while announcing the winners.

“We congratulate these accomplished individuals and encourage them to continue to serve as an example of the incredible promise and ingenuity of the American people.”
WHO IS DEJI AKINWANDE?

Akinwande is an associate professor in electrical and computer engineering and the Jack Kilby/Texas instruments endowed faculty fellow in computer engineering in the Cockrell school of engineering at the university of Texas at Austin.

EDUCATION

Akinwande graduated from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, bagging a double degree (B.S/M.S) in electrical engineering and applied physics.

His master’s research in applied physics pioneered the design and development of near-field microwave probe tips for non-destructive imaging and studies of materials.

He had his PhD degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University in 2009, conducting research on the synthesis, device physics, and circuit applications of carbon nanotubes and graphene.

INVENTION

According to Akinwande Nano Research Group, the professor is known for his groundbreaking research on nanomaterials, sensors, devices and flexible technology.

He is considered one of the top researchers in the world in the areas of graphene, silicon electronics and 2-D nanomaterials for use in flexible electronics.

In 2015, Akinwande created the first transistor out of silicene – the world’s thinnest silicon material – and he is continuing to advance the capabilities of computer chips and other electronics.
He is a co-inventor of a high-frequency chip-to-chip interconnect and an electrically small antenna for bio-electronics.

HONOURS AND AWARDS

Prior to his presidential award listing, Akinwande has been known as a man of many caps, working with US department of Defence in taking academic quantum leaps.

He has the following honours and awards to his name:

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Nanotechnology Early Career Award, 2015
Engineering School Nominee for Texas System Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award, 2015
TI/Jack Kilby Endowed Faculty Fellowship, 2013-present
IEEE Senior Member, 2013
IEEE NANO Geim and Novoselov (Inaugural) Graphene Prize 2012
NSF Faculty CAREER Award 2012
DTRA Young Investigator Award 2012
3M Nontenured Faculty Award 2012
Army Research Office Young Investigator Award 2011
Office of Naval Research Grant Award 2010
Stanford Future-Faculty DARE Fellow, 2008-2010 (12 fellows selected out of 110 senior Ph.D Candidates from all the Schools at Stanford University)
Ford Foundation Fellow, 2006-2009 (60 fellows out of over 1000 applicants)
Alfred P. Sloan Scholar, 2006-2008 (Selected Stanford Ph.D Candidate)
“Design Award” for outstanding Low-Noise Amplifier Designs by Prof. Thomas Lee (1 of 3 out of a class of ~150 students at Stanford University

https://www.thecable.ng/profile-akinwande-nigerian-professor-who-will-receive-americas-highest-research-award#at_pco=smlwn-1.0&at_si=5715e86dd3d16739&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=0&at_tot=1

Re: Akinwande, Nigerian Professor Who Will Receive America’s Highest Research Award by juniorportland(m): 9:34am On Apr 19, 2016
keep repping naija...... Igbo o,Hausa, Yoruba

we are one

junior Portland

lala...front page

2 Likes

Re: Akinwande, Nigerian Professor Who Will Receive America’s Highest Research Award by ochukoccna: 9:47am On Apr 19, 2016
juniorportland:
keep repping naija...... Igbo o,Hausa, Yoruba

we are one

So so true
That's why I INTENTIONALLY highlighted the dude is NIGERIAN even though, he's Yoruba by tribe
But the tribal warlords will soon arrive undecided undecided
To feast grin grin
So sad! embarassed embarassed

Another link to the story from the Guardian newspaper
http://guardian.ng/news/akinwande-the-nigerian-who-will-change-the-way-you-use-your-phones-and-computers/

Do you mind explaining your research on nanomaterials, sensors, devices and flexible technology?

Our research work is focused on two aspects of electronic technology; one aspect is making more energy efficient electronics so that everyday devices such as laptops, smart phones and mobile gadgets can last say a week on a charge rather than a day. The second aspect of our research is in making electronic products on plastic sheets. This will enable foldable, bendable and stretchable computers, phones and display devices that are much cheaper, environmentally-friendly and robust against all sort of common but expensive hazards such as drops. All of these benefits are due to the outstanding properties of plastics. For example, nanotechnology on plastics could lead to smartphones for N10,000 compared to N100,000 for current products. Another example is you can have a small plastic smartphone that you could unfold into a bigger tablet to watch videos.

In what ways will your latest discoveries transform lives in Africa?

These nanotechnologies we are researching can benefit everyone in every country. These are transcendental concepts that apply globally. It is of major interest in America and indeed that is why we have had substantial government and industry support to bring these ideas to life as prototypes.

In Nigeria and Africa, our latest discoveries have additional significance because of the cost and reliability advantages of plastic electronic products, which will make it more accessible to a broader range of the society. Furthermore, in the long term, it can reduce the cost of production that can lead to local manufacturing and jobs and also reduce waste processing and associated health risks owing to the more environmentally-recyclable nature of plastics.

I would also like you to share your experience as a young Nigerian in America and how your experience of the two environments shaped your career.

I have always been driven by ideas since I was a little boy growing up in Lagos. My father worked at major newspapers so I read a lot, and my mother worked at the ministry of education, hence, learning and schooling has always been important to us. I was very fortunate to attend FGC Ido-ani for my secondary education where I learned how to work hard, and to adapt to any situation all the while maintaining a jovial attitude in the spirit of the old saying, ‘there is always a reason to smile’. This proved invaluable when I moved to America for my undergraduate studies. Everything seemed relatively easier in the US and all my hard studies eventually paid off when with some good luck I got accepted for Ph.D. studies at Stanford University, one of the very best programs in the World. At Stanford, I learned to be an educator and a thinker that can turn abstract ideas into discoveries while working together with smart people from all walks of life. With God’s grace I managed to distinguish myself during my Ph.D. studies that led to a professorial job at the University of Texas-Austin, one of the top programs in the country, where I have been fortunate to work with outstanding students and researchers on nanotechnology. In brief, the hard-working habits I learned in FGC Ido-ani and the scientific skills I gained at Stanford University combined with some good fortune have allowed us to be quite successful in the very competitive American environment. My mother and father have been a limitless source of inspiration.

Can you also speak about your teaching experience at University of Texas at Austin and the kind of support you receive as a scholar in a white-dominated environment?

My experience at the University of Texas – Austin has been wonderful. it is an international institution with people from all over the World. Indeed, there is a famous African conference held every year here, chaired by Prof Toyin Falola, one of my esteemed colleagues at the University. What I have found is that a friendly attitude and strong intellectual merit will take you as far as you aspire at virtually all Universities in America.

Will you ever consider working in Africa or Nigeria?

I have a permanent interest for collaborative projects in Africa and Nigeria specifically. Since 2008, I have been exploring opportunities to contribute to technology and development.

Recently, specific opportunities have been identified with two institutions, one in Lagos and another in Ondo State. I am now planning an extended visit to help the projects along, which are focused on commodity technology for health and another on industrial nanomaterials. Similarly, I have a deep longing to collaborate with fellow educators in Nigeria on post-secondary learning, which is very important for future advancement because the seeds of today are the fruits of tomorrow. I welcome correspondence from interested parties in Nigeria.

Re: Akinwande, Nigerian Professor Who Will Receive America’s Highest Research Award by DEXTROVERT: 10:01am On Apr 19, 2016
We
Are
One

We
Are
All
NIGERIANS

Kickout
Tribalism
On
NL
With
Your
1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hurray! Nairalander won Scholarship / 2016/2017 Oau Utme Screening Portal Enabled "Guideline" / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees, Diplomas Programmes In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.