Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,235 members, 7,836,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics (784 Views)

Nigerian Man Sentenced To Jail For Romance Scam And Cheating. Photo / The Mafia And A Nigerian Gang Are Targeting Refugees In Sicily (HBO) [video] / EFCC Arraigns Directors Of Origin Oil And Gas Over N735m Subsidy Scam (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics by sixtuschimere: 7:23am On Apr 20, 2016
A woman claimed a Nigerian gang posing as an online love interest conned her out of £20,000.

'Elizabeth' - which is not her real name - appeared on Good Morning Britain earlier today to warn people of the dangers of online dating.

After thinking she was was dating an engineer from Southampton who had a contract out in Dubai, it turned out to be a scam.

She revealed: "I was very vulnerable, I had been on my own for a long time and I just wanted to meet someone.

At 56-years-old she met 'Harold' a Norwegian man who had a contract in Dubai, which meant it was difficult to meet up - this turned out to be a lie.

After being asked about how he won over her trust, she explained: "He used to email me and tell me how lovely I was, he would make me feel like any woman would want to."

But it wasn't just love on the table, as she revealed: "He said that I could have a job with him as well, to be quite honest with you."

After initially handing over £3,000, in total she gave the scammers more than £20,000.

'Elizabeth' claims they sent up to 20-30 messages and emails a day and said "they were basically brainwashing me".

Hosts Susanna Reid and Piers Morgan pressed the victim more, as it was revealed that 'Elizabeth' was targeted by more than one person in the elaborate hoax.

"I believe they were a gang of Nigerian scammers," said Elizabeth.

Susanna then quizzed her on what the police said.

"I didn't really get much from the police, they didn't give me a lot of information," said the woman, after admitting that this was her theory that it was a Nigerian gang. "They said there was nothing they could do for me."

Good Morning Britain also revealed the latest figures of 'romance fraud' with victims losing £23.3million in 2015.

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/04/this-british-woman-claims-nigerian-gang.html

Re: This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics by divinehand2003(m): 7:29am On Apr 20, 2016
How did she know that they were Nigerian scammers?

Nor be only Naija Yahoo Yahoo dey happen again ooo.
Re: This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics by fiftynaira(m): 7:31am On Apr 20, 2016
My brothers don use d money buy motor fles woman
Re: This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics by dyadeleye(m): 7:38am On Apr 20, 2016
Smh....scammers are everywhere damn it, Russia, Ghana, South Africa etc...not only Naija..
In between, when you guys go wise nah
Re: This British Woman Claims Nigerian Gang Stole N5.7m 4rm Her In Romance Scam(pics by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 20, 2016
Mchtewww....so because its love scam its Nigeria... Idiata

(1) (Reply)

Bus Driver Gets Death Penalty For Stealing N68,000 In Benue / Have You Seen This Boy Lately / Orlando Shooter Id'd As Omar Mateen, U.S. Citizen From Port St. Lucie, FL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.