Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,009 members, 7,835,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture (3730 Views)

Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Obijackson Foundation Rejuvenates Igbo Culture With Face Of Okija / 5 Unbelievable Igbo Culture Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by TamaraAbells: 7:24am On Apr 20, 2016

Reincarnation belief in the Igbo culture can be dated as far back as 1400 years ago, the belief is still being held unto in this present day. Even before and after the invasion of the white men that brought about the Christian religion and Western civilization, the belief of reincarnation have been an important aspect of the igbo culture. Honestly, i find Igbo belief of reincarnation facinating and very interesting, and i just couldn't help myself but to find out more about it. Here are some fundamental beliefs of the igbos concerning reincarnation:

They Believe That The Dead Will Live Again.

The Igbos believe that there is a place called "land of the dead" otherwise known as "discarnate realm". This realm is inhibited by the souls of the deceased who are eager to return back to the land of the living. This place is believed to be undisirable for these deceased souls and thus prompt their return to the land of the living by means of reincarnation.

They Believe Perfection Is Achieved Through Reincarnation.
The Igbo believe that a person can attain perfection by being reincarnated over and over again. Also, the belief in reincarnation comforts a dying person who believes he is yet to attain perfection in the life that is ending. The dying person is never scared of dying, instead they believe they will be born anew by a member of the family. This means they will continue to improve their status quo from incarnation to incarnation till they attain perfection.

They Believe That What You Do Now Will speak For You In Death And In Your Next Life.

The Igbo believe that how well you conduct yourself in your present life will determine how much you'll be respected both in the land of the dead and in your next life. Consequently, if an evildoer dies, no matter how rich and powerful they might be, they would be a subject of mockery in the land of the dead. Also, things may go wrong with the person in their next life. They may also be reincarnated as wild animals, or trees, or anything that is non-human.

They Believe That Young Ones Reincarnate Quicker Than Old Ones.

The Igbo believe that someone who dies at a younger age will incarnate more quickly that someone who dies at old age. This means that someone who is yet to become what they are destined to be in life but were terminated early in life will be reincarnated quicker so as to resume their destiny sooner.

Some Believes That Not Everyone Reincarnates.

Some Igbo believe that those who lived worthless and ineffective lives, for example, those who never got married or had children, or those that committed suicide, never get reincarnated. Sometimes, when someone refuses to forgive a dead person who was wicked when they were alive might prevent the dead person from being reincarnated. Also a dead person can be prevented from being reincarnated if they are denied of their burial rites or are buried face down, or by any other rituals.

Resources

The belief in reincarnation in Igbo of Nigeria: By Ian Stevenson

Read more: http://africhow.com/more/culture/paranormal/reincarnation-and-beliefs-in-the-igbo-culture

1 Like

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by Eddygourdo(m): 7:32am On Apr 20, 2016
Other tribes also share same views, this is something I truly believe in but my religion doesn't address.

Anyway the truth is that we all will never know which of our beliefs are fallacious till death comes knocking.

Till then..... Let me go eat ofe owerri

1 Like

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by gatiano(m): 12:53pm On May 18, 2016
Not all people can reincarnate, Only the Black people have the ability to reincarnate, it does not matter whether the black person is good or evil. The concept of reincarnation within all of African tribes worldwide is different from those taught in other cultures. The reinacarnation is solely based on science and mathematics and it had been from the beginning.
Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by macof(m): 9:34am On May 19, 2016
Eddygourdo:
Other tribes also share same views, this is something I truly believe in but my religion doesn't address.

Anyway the truth is that we all will never know which of our beliefs are fallacious till death comes knocking.

Till then..... Let me go eat ofe owerri

why wait for death? don't you have a perfectly functioning brain to analyse things and pick out fallacies?

1 Like

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by Eddygourdo(m): 6:06am On May 21, 2016
macof:

why wait for death? don't you have a perfectly functioning brain to analyse things and pick out fallacies?
look at this dimwitted hoodrat. Look at the level of reasoning ur perfectlyy worrking brain tells you. Oya tell the world ur opinion and watch me thraash you so hard, you will deactivate today. Am wwaiting for ur half baked idiiotic thoughts on the issue. Bloody asswipe
Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by macof(m): 4:01pm On May 21, 2016
Eddygourdo:
look at this dimwitted hoodrat. Look at the level of reasoning ur perfectlyy worrking brain tells you. Oya tell the world ur opinion and watch me thraash you so hard, you will deactivate today. Am wwaiting for ur half baked idiiotic thoughts on the issue. Bloody asswipe

grin grin grin I knew it. people who are lazy enough to say "I leave it till after I die" "i dont know, lemme die first" are worthless swines who find human life too much of a burden and are filled with so much frustration, anger and hate

just look at the insults you give in reply to an innocent comment.
Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by Eddygourdo(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2016
macof:

grin grin grin I knew it. people who are lazy enough to say "I leave it till after I die" "i dont know, lemme die first" are worthless swines who find human life too much of a burden and are filled with so much frustration, anger and hate

just look at the insults you give in reply to an innocent comment.

its ur LovePeddler of a mother who hasn't got a functioning brain. Idiot .because na online abi. Dats y u spew such thrash to ur betters.
Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by macof(m): 5:35pm On May 21, 2016
Eddygourdo:
its ur LovePeddler of a mother who hasn't got a functioning brain. Idiot .because na online abi. Dats y u spew such thrash to ur betters.

why is my post making this one drop bomb to bomb of senselessness undecided

here's the post again. ..

it's obvious from your angry outbursts that you really don't have a functioning brain to analyse things and pick out fallacies. ..and it hurts you that you don't grin grin grin
I pity you really

now you know my mother? you don't even know me. wtf! you must have been thinking of your mother...fortunately not all mothers are like yours.

and if it wasn't online? you would fight me?
you would kill me? look at this guy grin
so hilarious

2 Likes

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by gatiano(m): 8:34am On May 26, 2016
When the Romans invaded the Nile Valley about 200 years before the Julian Calendar, the Roman army arrested a group of priests of the god AMEN in the oasis of KARGAH. This group of priests was trying to lead a group of peasant women and children to the southern part of the Sahara Desert. The priest asked the Romans to let the women and children go. The Romans let them go, but aligned the priests for execution. The first priest calmly came and laid his head on the tree trunk and closed his eyes; waiting for the soldier's sword to come and cut his throat. It is at this moment that one of the officers bent down and asked him: "Why you blacks do not cry when we kill you? Are you not afraid? Don't you fall in a sort of desperation?" The priest, without opening his eyes or lifting is head, answered, "It is because we do not die!" The officer then exploded in a big laugh and told him in a mocking tone, "In a little while, we will cut off your head and we will see if you will be able to stand up!" The priest then said with a very calm attitude, "You did not understand... these women that you let go to the other side of the desert are carrying us in their stomachs. They will go, and when the time is right, they will give birth to us. These women and these children have us in their hearts, and when the time is right, they will become us."
The priests wanted to tell the value of procreation. People that stop procreating are dead people, but for a very long time, Romans kept the myth according to which Pharaohs and African priests are reborn every time you kill them. This notion gave birth to the doctrine of infanticide, exercised for more than 200 years over Africans by Romans. All the newborns were killed by the Roman army because they hoped to stop the reincarnation of the Pharaohs and priests. It is this practice that led to the birth of the city of MUSMAR (actual Sudan), MUSSORO (actual Chad), MASSENYA and MASSAKORI... etc., whose names mean cities of birth and delivery. These cities were, for a very long time, secret cities.

The step that followed the doctrine of infanticide was the doctrine of limitation of numbers of adults in every household. For Romans, a household that is composed of one man and one woman can only produce a limited number of descendants, and for a very long time, monogamy was a concept of a political decision imposed by the invader with the goal of facilitating his goal of the development of the enslaved people.
BY ~MASTER NABA~ aka MAAKHERU

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by Sealeddeal(m): 10:55am On May 26, 2016
if reformed, African Traditional Religion is the best suitable religion for African society.
Africa was destroyed the day Christianity and Islam conquered her.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by bigfrancis21: 5:03pm On Jan 28, 2017
Many of these beliefs are true. I remember growing up as a child and hearing about reincarnation and I just knew it was true. There was no doubt about it. Later on I learned more about it in Igbo classes in secondary school. In Igbo land, you'd often hear 'you're the incarnate of your greatgrandfather' or 'grandmother' etc.

I'd like to know the Igbo names/phrases for some of the phenomena of reincarnation. For example, land of discarnate beings, who knows what it is called?

1 Like

Re: Reincarnation And Past Lives: Fundamental Belief In The Igbo Culture by Probz(m): 12:42am On Jan 29, 2017
bigfrancis21:
In Igbo land, you'd often hear 'you're the incarnate of your greatgrandfather' or 'grandmother' etc.

Eziokwu o. I've had my own experience in that area.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Men Lick Their Lips Whenever They See A Beautiful Woman / Types Of Nigerian Wives And Husbands. – A Practical Guide To Choosing A Spouse / Somalis Rated #5 Best Looking People On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.