Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,470 members, 7,812,440 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One (1095 Views)

Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? / A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. / Atheist And Scientist,what Is Your Problem With The Dolphin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by keenn: 9:22am On Apr 20, 2016
Its very easy to recite promises from the holybooks about afterlife, paradise, everlasting peace, reunion...

But from an atheist stand point, what is the way to make a a friend who just lost a loved one feel better?

I most times get hooked on this spot, pls help a brother out.

1 Like

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Justycxx(m): 9:27am On Apr 20, 2016
i just dont know how they will go about that.
Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Noneroone(m): 9:52am On Apr 20, 2016
Man die go cheesy

1 Like

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Chazzyboy: 10:04am On Apr 20, 2016
No honor
Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 20, 2016
Sorry about your loss. Take heart.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by johnydon22(m): 10:36am On Apr 20, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Sorry about your loss. Take heart.
also add "time heals everything, so it will get better my dear"...

Never comfort me with a lie, if the truth hurts let it hurt, it can never hurt for too long

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by ToughAngelTufa: 11:53am On Apr 20, 2016
johnydon22:

also add "time heals everything, so it will get better my dear"...

Never comfort me with a lie, if the truth hurts let it hurt, it can never hurt for too long

Time doesnt heal everything, defenitely not the loss of a loved one. So if you dont want to hurt someone even more, dont ever say this.

1 Like

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by johnydon22(m): 12:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
ToughAngelTufa:

Time doesnt heal everything, defenitely not the loss of a loved one. So if you dont want to hurt someone even more, dont ever say this.

we have all lost someone dear to us at some point, i am sure i am still not mourning over it and have moved on with my life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Richirich713: 12:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic"
Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 20, 2016
keenn:
Its very easy to recite promises from the holybooks about afterlife, paradise, everlasting peace, reunion...

But from an atheist stand point, what is the way to make a a friend who just lost a loved one feel better?

I most times get hooked on this spot, pls help a brother out.
You can tell your friend, that he should strive to live the rest of his life in a way that will honor the person's memory. You can also tell him, that as long as the person lives in his heart and memory, then somehow through him the person is still alive and on his side.

Finally, I would remark that someone can be an atheist, but still believe in a form of life after death - like many Buddhist and others do. So your question is not well formulated.

Greetings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by finofaya: 1:02pm On Apr 20, 2016
Say sorry and lend them support (money, logistics, pure horsepower). Most people who are bereaved don't really pay attention to the wording of your condolence anyway, especially since you're probably the 200th person to console them. You can also start a conversation with them about the deceased wherein you eulogize the person a little. Keep in mind that few people know the right thing to say to the bereaved, so you're not doing as poorly as you imagine.

Of course, you're not going to say "rest in peace", are you?

Edit: The bereaved has in all likelihood also contemplated some form of the question of the right thing to say to a bereaved person. So, unless they were able to come up with many wonderful answers, they might also appreciate the difficulty involved and be prepared to accept clichés. Your presence will count more than what you have to say.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by keenn: 3:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
LoJ:

You can tell your friend, that he should strive to live the rest of his life in a way that will honor the person's memory. You can also tell him, that as long as the person lives in his heart and memory, then somehow through him the person is still alive and on his side.

Finally, I would remark that someone can be an atheist, but still believe in a form of life after death - like many Buddhist and others do. So your question is not well formulated.

Greetings.

Thanks for reformulating

1 Like

Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by ToughAngelTufa: 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2016
johnydon22:

we have all lost someone dear to us at some point, i am sure i am still not mourning over it and have moved on with my life

People love in different ways. Capacity of the heart to love knows huge differences, different depths too. Moving on with life is not the topic. Also wounded or with scars, people can move on. Doesnt make d pain any less, maybe just different. Those who have lost the love of their life know what i am talking about. The rest better stay silent, and dont float a mourning person with superficial cliches that time heals all, it simply dont, not for everyone at least. So its as much a religious useless oneliner.
Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 20, 2016
Richirich713:
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic"
Though a thousand fall at my left, and ten trillion at my right..
Re: Atheist And Agnostics, How Do U Console A Friend That Has Lost A Love One by Richirich713: 12:31am On Apr 21, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Though a thousand fall at my left, and ten trillion at my right..

Which atheist said that?

(1) (Reply)

6 Ways You Can Avoid Fornication / Corruption Among Believers In Our Churches Today / Pastor Goes Astray After Sexy Lady Posts Massive Cleavage On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.