Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? (7778 Views)

Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? / Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? / Is It Morally Right For A Pastor To Use A Phone To Read Out Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 4:49pm On Apr 21, 2016
Scholar8200:

But before the mercy was granted there had to be faith! Mercy could only be received on a condition.
Faith expresssed in repentance. It takes faith in Who Jesus is for a dying man to say that to One Who everyone thought was just another dying Man!

Who would you then blame for the one that perished?
You don't seem to get the point. Whether Jesus decides to give life to one sinner and allow the other to die in their sin, it is his prerogative. Just like if you come across two beggars you may decide to give one some money and not give the other any money based on how you perceive them. No one will call you wicked, but to rob or beat one of them will call your character into question.
Adam sinned and because of him we are all dead, but by exercising faith in Christ our sins can be forgiven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 4:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
analice107:

Are you sure you don't loose sleep over this matter? Ha, maybe you should go back and reread your comments again. You have discarded the hellfire belief yet you opened this thread calling God cruel, sadistic and wicked for burning man eternally?
You mean we have been on this issue when you have discarded the belief?
I only called your notion of God cruel and sadistic,and I said it as respectfully as I could so as not to offend the sensibility of anyone. So far you haven't given me any reason to change my mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by analice107: 5:08pm On Apr 21, 2016
dorox:

I only called your notion of God cruel and sadistic and you haven't given me any reason to change my mind.
You just keep jumping over what I post. I posted a parable and it's explanation by Jesus to you, you didn't touch it. Maybe if you were truthful we would ve settled this matter long ago.

My notion of God is cruel? Did I write the Bible?

All along you build a crucible and placed God for cross-examination.
but you won't say anything about man's responsibility in the whole matter.

Why not do the same to Satan, and then Man?

God is so cruel he created hellfire, I asked you why you think he'll was created, you said you don't know, then why are we having this discussion? Why will you place God on a crucible when you don't know him?

Keep preaching this Luciferean gospel, you shall be rewarded in due time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by lepasharon(f): 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
What could someone possibly do in one lifetime to deserve an eternity in hell?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by Scholar8200(m): 6:29pm On Apr 21, 2016
dorox:

You don't seem to get the point. Whether Jesus decides to give life to one sinner and allow the other to die in there sin is his prerogative. Just like if you come across two beggers you may decide to give one some money and not give the other any money based on how you perceive them. No one will call you wicked, but to rob or beat one of them will call your character into question.
Adam sinned and because of him we are all dead, but by exercising faith in Christ our sins can be forgiven.
So who becomes guilty when I refuse to do the highlighted? When I fully know the consequence of so doing? Besides, it is His prerogative, but we must appropriate it by faith else, we deny ourselves and take our part in the other side since there is no middle ground!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by Scholar8200(m): 6:31pm On Apr 21, 2016
lepasharon:
Or what could one do in one lifetime to deserve an eternity in Heaven?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 6:42pm On Apr 21, 2016
Scholar8200:
So who becomes guilty when I refuse to do the highlighted? When I fully know the consequence of so doing? Besides, it is His prerogative, but we must appropriate it by faith else, we deny ourselves and take our part in the other side since there is no middle ground!
You are guilty of course if you fail to do what is required of you, I think we all are in agreement on that. But the op is not about responsibility, it is about if it is right to give someone that never asked to be brought into this world in the first place and subjecting the person to eternal torture for disobedience instead of taking the life of the person as punishment for disobedience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by Jozzy4: 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2016
someone asks this same question some years ago, i was just smiling , I remember some people saying if God could reward humans with endless life in heaven , then endless life in hell is justified .

but there are so many problems with this reasoning, the man stood up and said :

1, does that mean the folk that made heaven do so by his power ? he makes himself deserve it ?,if NO , how then could you say someone in hell makes himself deserve it !

2- everlasting life is not by merit , ITS A GIFT . if everlasting life is gift given to some and not because they deserve or by their power , logic dictates then that sentencing someone to trilliona nd rillions of year in a torture chamber is not fair and cruel , because they also dont deserve such.

3, if the righteousness of 80 years is not enough to make u worthy of heaven , how then could the sin of 80 years make u worthy of hell ?

everywhere was silent.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by Jozzy4: 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2016
someone asks this same question some years ago, i was just smiling , I remember some people saying if God could reward humans with endless life in heaven , then endless life in hell is justified .

but there are so many problems with this reasoning, a certain man stood up and said :

1, does that mean the folk that made heaven do so by his power ? he makes himself deserve it ?,if NO , how then could you say someone in hell makes himself deserve it !

2- everlasting life is not by merit , ITS A GIFT . if everlasting life is gift given to some and not because they deserve or by their power , logic dictates then that sentencing someone to trilliona nd rillions of year in a torture chamber is not fair and cruel , because they also dont deserve such.

3, if the righteousness of 80 years is not enough to make u worthy of heaven , how then could the sin of 80 years make u worthy of hell ?

everywhere was silent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 7:08pm On Apr 21, 2016
Scholar8200:
Or what could one do in one lifetime to deserve an eternity in Heaven?
You have two servants, one of them is wise and the other is foolish, and you gave them some considerable amount of money as gift out of the kindness of your heart, they did not earn it.
The wise servant said to himself on receiving the money,"my master is very kind, I shall use this money to learn a trade so that I can be of better service to him. And if there comes a day when he no longer needs my service, I will at least have a trade to earn a living. " But the foolish servant said to himself," I have worked very hard indeed, I am sure that this gift is the excess profit from my labour that he has been withholding from me, perhaps I should ask him if he included the interest." Saying that, he went off to squander it on booze and prostitutes.
Now if you, having observed both servants decides to elevate the wise one to a position of responsibility far greater than he ever imagined possible, that is your prerogative isn't it? But the worst you can do to the foolish slave is to sack him for his foolishness and take what is left of the gift you gave him. Torturing him for eternity for squandering a gift does not sound fair, would you not agree?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 7:10pm On Apr 21, 2016
Jozzy4:

but there are so many problems with this reasoning, a certain man stood up and said :

everywhere was silent.

Bravo my friend, beautifully put.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dolphinheart(m): 7:38pm On Apr 21, 2016
Jozzy4:

everywhere was silent.

I once saw a video of some thugs burning a thief by the roadside. first they beat him up with sticks till he was barely alive, then they poured petrol/kerosene on him and someone lit him up. This man/thief jumped up and started screaming the scream was so heart breaking that several women started crying.
The video was skipped to the part where some of those watching the man get burnt started cursing the burners. They said his punishment is too much, that God will punish the guys who burnt the thief. then something struck me, dnt this people know that many people believe in a god that will continue the punishment of fire for this thief? and this time around their will be no end to his pain? no chance of redemption from these Tuture? I even suspect that some of these people blaming those thugs believe in this God.

This video made me to conclude that some of those who believe this God do not have a real concept of their belief in Hellfire, they do not understand the ramifications of their beliefs.

Some on these thread has said their is no middle ground, but when you ask then what happens to an unborn child or a 3 month old baby who dies , there response will be vague or non existent. There are youths who have heard about Jesus, but they do not understand his teachings yet, and thus did something bad and died, will they be burnt eternally for not knowing Jesus?

there are people who ones killed twins in times past before the missionaries came, thsee people did so because they felt this twins are not human, that they are evil spirits creatures masqueradING as humans, to protect their families and society, this twins must die and so they killed them. those killers believed in goodness, but their goodness is based on an understanding prevalent during their time.

now tell me , you who believe in hell fire, will those killers of twins burn in hell fire forever for trying to protect their family in the only way they understood?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by TheProphetess(f): 7:45pm On Apr 21, 2016
analice107:

Madam prophetess which part of the Bible told ypu kids will go to hell?

Have you been to the North? Will you say they don't know about Christ?
Listen up Proph, am reading this book, In "Search of Assurance" written by an Ex-Muslim from the part of India which bothers with Pakistan. How he found Christ in the midst of all the Muslims. This was back in the 60s breaking 70s. They brought death to the boy, but the boy at the very early age refused to die. He resisted and stood for Christ, today he preaches Christ.
We read everyday testimonies of conversion.
I have met one from kano. He walked into church asking to see the pastor, by himself. His father is a Mullah (not sure of the spelling), He has been hiding his faith for long, until he couldn't anymore, he said he was ready if his father will call for his killing fine, he was ready to die. Where is he from? Is it not from there?

These people have the presence of the gospel always staring them in the face but they fight it vigorously. Maybe you should read it. Till today, you dare not talk about the Jesus of the Bible, only the caricature Isa of the Koran.
They reject it doesn't mean they don't know it.
So many are hidden Christians but afraid for their lives, In due time, they like others shall break free.
So don't tell me about being born in the desert. Jesus is Lord of the desert.

But all are sinners from birth and do not deserve heaven no?
And if a baby or child died prematurely then he/she will go to hell won't they? They haven't repented or asked Jesus to be their Lord and personal saviour so surely hell is their portion? Or can you explain this?

Also you seem to misunderstand.
I'm speaking of people who have no access to bible/pastor/church whatsoever. How will they hear the word of God?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dolphinheart(m): 7:59pm On Apr 21, 2016
Some do believe in Hellfire due to experience. A man comes into your home, kills your husband , your children and takes your 3 month old baby away, only to find the mutilated corpse of that baby few weeks later. The woman will not be blamed if she wishes that man who committed those atrocities a lifetime of pain. but if God has promised you he will take away your pain, why do you still wish that the man continues to suffer after your pain has been taking away and joy added to your gift of evalasting life. If God told you that the man that brought you such pain no longer exists, he is not in pain, not feeling anything, would such knowledge make you less happy?

The God that created man, told us in his book to man, what man is, he also had recorded what he told that man about where he is going when he dies, what will happen to him when he dies. how will such man feel when he finds out that he is not where God said he will be when he died, nor in a condition God said he will be when he died.

man was created, man was nothing before creation. if such creation( man) does not serve the purpose or reason of being created, the best thing to do is to uncreate him and return him to nothing. abi no be so ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by goodnews201668: 8:39pm On Apr 21, 2016
analice107:

Hahahahahahahaha. This guy. Why won't you talk about people enjoying in heaven for once? After all, they were all given the same opportunity to choose. One chose hellfire so he will burn. Why is that God's fault? See us here right now talking about this issue, why do you refuse to Accept Jesus and choose heaven? Why are you holding so tightly on hellfire? Do you think anything about it will change?
What business do you have with hellfire? Was it created for you? Are you Satan or a demon? Well, if you yoke yourself with them, where ever they go, you will go. Lekwa

You are not answering the op,s questions, you are rather compounding it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by analice107: 9:24pm On Apr 21, 2016
TheProphetess:

But all are sinners from birth and do not deserve heaven no?
And if a baby or child died prematurely then he/she will go to hell won't they? They haven't repented or asked Jesus to be their Lord and personal saviour so surely hell is their portion? Or can you explain this?

Also you seem to misunderstand.
I'm speaking of people who have no access to bible/pastor/church whatsoever. How will they hear the word of God?

Since you don't want to believe that children are held accountable for any sin so won't stand judgement, I will leave you at this point.

Talking about those who dodn't have pastors. D those believe in Christ amongst them, how did they become Christians?
Let me give you some books, download their pdf versions and read. "I Dared to Call Him Father", "In Search of Assurance" by K. K. Alavi. And "God's Salvation is ready for You" by Abdul Masih, when you are done reading, continue protecting them for their unbelief.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by analice107: 9:28pm On Apr 21, 2016
goodnews201668:

You are not answering the op,s questions, you are rather compounding it.
Pls remind me the Ops question again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by goodnews201668: 9:34pm On Apr 21, 2016
analice107:

Pls remind me the Ops question again.

Sorry network didn't allow me read your other coments, i got it now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by goodnews201668: 10:35pm On Apr 21, 2016
analice107:

What if we look at it this way?
Am a mother, Angela is my daughter. I discover Angie pilfer, I call Angie in and tell her, my daughter, whatever I have is yours, anytime you need anything, come to me, pls don't take what belongs to others without letting them know. When they loose their stuff, it hurts them because they need their stuff. Even if it's mine, still tell me, I won't stop you from take g it, just let me know, beside stealing is very wrong, it brings shame and People would find it hard to trust you, and you need people to trust, pls my daughter don't again okay? Angie says, yes mummy.
But anytime Angie sees something and when no one is around, she will take it. Little by little it grew. When she was too young to understand the consequences, I talked to her, repeatedly. When she grew older I spanked her for others to see am not condoning her pilfering. Yet, this child won't stop. Everyday neighbours cry out because Angie haven followed their kids to their houses Angie had stolen their money.
My home is now known as a home of thieves. Now anytime something gets missing, all fingers are pointed towards my house.
One day, I couldn't take it anymore, I wear my shorts and tie my wrapper firmly on top of it and say, Angie today go be today. Enough of the embarrassment and shame then I get down on her real good. Call me whatever you like, that's your business.

Let me tell you something about my home. You do not, I repeat, do not, pick anything be it money or any other thing and bringing it home to my mother's house. When I was less than 10 was when I learned that lesson, I picked money,
No, I didn't steal it, I picked it, and I thought I was a good child so rough it back home a showed my mum, since it was the first time, My mum followed me to where I said I picked it, she said drop it there, I did, we went back home. Another time, I picked money again, I knew if I showed her, I was going to lose it, so I had it. I bought something with it and I was caught. Gracious Lord!!!! Till I leave this earth I won't forget what my mum did to me. What you described is minimal. She tied me up with a robe and actually put that pepper in my Anus and eyes and kept me in the hot sun, all the while screaming on top of her voice, no child of mine will be a thief. But I was crying and saying, I didn't steal it, she said, you will steal if you don't stop now.
When I was released, I advised myself against picking other things. Till this day, I don't pick things on the road.

Your mum actually rub pepper on your anus?
That's a bit harsh, she may have thought she's doing you good after all.
But a considerate mum doesn't have to go that far to purnish a child.

Though she set you free at the end.

But then we are talking about eternal torment or burning someone in hell.

Is it morally justified for Almighty God to create a permanent place to burn people for a sin committed within few years spent on earth?

What will God gain by burning people? Nothing!
What will he gain if he simply destroys them? Absolutely nothing!
Again God frown at the idea of burning people, he even condemned people that did and said it never was in his plans or never planned to do so!

Why resurrect sinners judge them and throw them into hell?
God isn't a sadist.

If refuse life or refuse to live by rejecting Jesus and God's provisions for life, will it be fair and morally right for God to insist I must be giving life only to be tormented?

How will I veiw a God who make effort to turn me into spirit and set spiritual fire to burn me forever? Cruel?

We are created in the image of God, meaning we can reflect his qualities or act like him.
If we can't go to the extreme just to punish our disobedient children, How much more God who is a perfection of love?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 6:53am On Apr 22, 2016
goodnews201668:

Your mum actually rub pepper on your anus?
That's a bit harsh, she may have thought she's doing you good after all.
But a considerate mum doesn't have to go that far to purnish a child.

Though she set you free at the end.

But then we are talking about eternal torment or burning someone in hell.

Is it morally justified for Almighty God to create a permanent place to burn people for a sin committed within few years spent on earth?

What will God gain by burning people? Nothing!
What will he gain if he simply destroys them? Absolutely nothing!
Again God frown at the idea of burning people, he even condemned people that did and said it never was in his plans or never planned to do so!

Why resurrect sinners judge them and throw them into hell?
God isn't a sadist.

If refuse life or refuse to live by rejecting Jesus and God's provisions for life, will it be fair and morally right for God to insist I must be giving life only to be tormented?

How will I veiw a God who make effort to turn me into spirit and set spiritual fire to burn me forever? Cruel?

We are created in the image of God, meaning we can reflect his qualities or act like him.
If we can't go to the extreme just to punish our disobedient children, How much more God who is a perfection of love?

They are trying very hard to avoid these difficult questions about hell and what it says about their notion of God.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by spacyzuma(m): 8:00am On Apr 22, 2016
lepasharon:

Just being born and staying alive is enough reason to deserve an eternity in hell.
Original sin. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by goodnews201668: 9:06am On Apr 22, 2016
dorox:

They are trying very hard to avoid these difficult questions about hell and what it says about their notion of God.

Abi you no see am like that?
Jesus is life and it's God's wish and will that all men be saved, that's he sent his son Jesus and made other provisions to give us life.
If i refuse to live it won't be fair if God now decides to give me life by force or now decides i live forever just to torment me or burn me continuously for aeons of years, forever.
Its not fair to me and surely it would be disturbing to any reasonable person.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by Scholar8200(m): 9:55am On Apr 22, 2016
dorox:

You have two servants, one of them is wise and the other is foolish, and you gave them some considerable amount of money as gift out of the kindness of your heart, they did not earn it.
The wise servant said to himself on receiving the money,"my master is very kind, I shall use this money to learn a trade so that I can be of better service to him. And if there comes a day when he no longer needs my service, I will at least have a trade to earn a living. " But the foolish servant said to himself," I have worked very hard indeed, I am sure that this gift is the excess profit from my labour that he has been withholding from me, perhaps I should ask him if he included the interest." Saying that, he went off to squander it on booze and prostitutes.
Now if you having observed both servants decides to elevate the wise one to a position of responsibility far greater than he ever imagined possible, that is your prerogative isn't it? But the worst you can do to the foolish slave is to sack him for his foolishness and take what is left of the gift you gave him. Torturing him for eternity for squandering a gift does not sound fair, would you not agree?
Your analogy is not very applicable to the topic at hand. We dont get elevated for what we have done but what we have received (of course having received it there will be evidences). If A receives it and B fails to, what then? Already we know hell was made for the devil and his angels, and we have offered to us that which will make us escape seeing there is no third place, if we fail to receive and end up there who do we blame?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 10:34am On Apr 22, 2016
Scholar8200:
Your analogy is not very applicable to the topic at hand. We dont get elevated for what we have done but what we have received (of course having received it there will be evidences). If A receives it and B fails to, what then? Already we know hell was made for the devil and his angels, and we have offered to us that which will make us escape seeing there is no third place, if we fail to receive and end up there who do we blame?

We are given life as a gift to start with, we did not do anything to warrant life, did we?
Some use it very well to please God as much as they can, while others use it for their own selfish interest.
Now the wise slave in my illustration was elevated far beyond what he imagined possible. By that I mean that his effort did not justify his promotion, he got it out of his master's undeserved kindness. Is that not how our promotion is, through the undesrved kindness of God?

It is your illustration that does not fit. You agreed that life is a gift, then why is it difficult for you to see that like any gift if abused it can be withdrawn from the beneficiary?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by Jozzy4: 10:44am On Apr 22, 2016
dorox:

We are given life as a gift to start with, we did not do anything to warrant life, did we?
Some use it very well to please God as much as they can, while others use it for their own selfish interest.
Now the wise slave in my illustration was elevated far beyond what he imagined possible. By that I mean that his effort did not justify his promotion, he got it out of his master's undeserved kindness. Is that not how our promotion is, through the undesrved kindness of God?

It is your illustration that does not fit. You agreed that life is a gift, then why is it difficult for you to see that like any gift if abused it can be withdrawn from the beneficiary?

perfect

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by cloudgoddess(f): 2:12pm On Apr 22, 2016
analice107:

You have killed reason so you no long have any. Let me take it that you didn't read the illustration @dorox made which I responded to.
Cloudgoddess, It was my mother's prerogative to raise her children as she saw fit. We all turned out very responsible. All of us. Males and females, all responsible. I don't regret how I turn out, so, it's your business if you decides to insult or call my mother names.
I can see how well your mother raised you, If you can talk about God the way you do, I wonder how you deal with people around you.

Cloudgoodness Why was hellfire created and for who was it created?
You have killed reason so you no long have any.
Empty insult. It's quite clear my reasoning is more well thought out than a story equating a mother spicing her children's nether regions, to the (supposed) creator of the universe subjecting his creations to neverending flames.

Let me take it that you didn't read the illustration @dorox made which I responded to.
I did.

Cloudgoddess, It was my mother's prerogative to raise her children as she saw fit.
Just as it's God's prerogative to burn trillions of humans for eternity if they don't subscribe to him, even if doing so contradicts all logic and evidence. I get it. No authority is subject to criticism in your view, regardless of how sadistically they behave.

We all turned out very responsible. All of us.
Oprah turned out responsible, and a billionaire. Doesn't mean the abuse her relatives inflicted on her during childhood was not still abuse.

I can see how well your mother raised you, If you can talk about God the way you do, I wonder how you deal with people around you.
You love to imagine that because atheists & others don't subscribe to your supernatural ideas, they must be terrible people. The irony is that although all groups have their share of as*holes, atheists worldwide seem to act far more civilly than Christians (shown by violence & crime rates, national peace indexes, etc), and they don't need threats of hellfire to do so.

It doesn't, and will never matter what it's original use supposedly was. If Yahweh, who is supposedly capable of doing anything he wants at any moment, is PRESENTLY using hell for a certain purpose, then he still holds responsibility; if he is indeed all powerful, then all uses of hell that were ever put in place were intentionally decided on and maintained by him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by analice107: 2:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
cloudgoddess:

You have killed reason so you no long have any.
Empty insult. It's quite clear my reasoning is more well thought out.

Let me take it that you didn't read the illustration @dorox made which I responded to.
I did.

Cloudgoddess, It was my mother's prerogative to raise her children as she saw fit.
Just as it's God's prerogative to burn trillions for eternity if they don't subscribe for him. I get it. No authority is subject to criticism in your view.

We all turned out very responsible. All of us.
Oprah turned out responsible, and a billionaire. Doesn't mean the abuse her relatives inflicted on her during childhood was not still abuse.

You love to imagine that because atheists & others don't subscribe to your supernatural ideas, they must be terrible people. The irony is that although all groups have their share of as*holes, atheists worldwide seem to act far more civilly than Christians, and they don't need threats of hellfire to do so.

It doesn't, and will never matter what it's original use supposedly was. If Yahweh, who is supposedly capable of doing anything he wants at any moment, is PRESENTLY using hell for a certain purpose, then he still holds responsibility; if he is indeed all powerful, then all uses of hell that were ever put in place were intentionally decided on and maintained by him.
You are an Atheist. Why are we even having this discussion? Hell doesn't exist, go ate and drink for tomorrow you die. Finish. End of story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by cloudgoddess(f): 2:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
analice107:

You are an Atheist. Why are we even having this discussion? Hell doesn't exist, go ate and drink for tomorrow you die. Finish. End of story.
Nice; lose an argument, dish out a few more condescending cliches & pretend the argument never mattered anyway. Well, I suppose that's all you can do at this point.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by dorox(m): 2:30pm On Apr 22, 2016
analice107:

The op is about finding a moral justification for hell, it is not about if it exist or not. So she has every right to say what she think about the morality of that type of punishment.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by kennycanny: 4:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
analice107:

What if we look at it this way?
Am a mother, Angela is my daughter. I discover Angie pilfer, I call Angie in and tell her, my daughter, whatever I have is yours, anytime you need anything, come to me, pls don't take what belongs to others without letting them know. When they loose their stuff, it hurts them because they need their stuff. Even if it's mine, still tell me, I won't stop you from take g it, just let me know, beside stealing is very wrong, it brings shame and People would find it hard to trust you, and you need people to trust, pls my daughter don't again okay? Angie says, yes mummy.
But anytime Angie sees something and when no one is around, she will take it. Little by little it grew. When she was too young to understand the consequences, I talked to her, repeatedly. When she grew older I spanked her for others to see am not condoning her pilfering. Yet, this child won't stop. Everyday neighbours cry out because Angie haven followed their kids to their houses Angie had stolen their money.
My home is now known as a home of thieves. Now anytime something gets missing, all fingers are pointed towards my house.
One day, I couldn't take it anymore, I wear my shorts and tie my wrapper firmly on top of it and say, Angie today go be today. Enough of the embarrassment and shame then I get down on her real good. Call me whatever you like, that's your business.

Let me tell you something about my home. You do not, I repeat, do not, pick anything be it money or any other thing and bringing it home to my mother's house. When I was less than 10 was when I learned that lesson, I picked money,
No, I didn't steal it, I picked it, and I thought I was a good child so rough it back home a showed my mum, since it was the first time, My mum followed me to where I said I picked it, she said drop it there, I did, we went back home. Another time, I picked money again, I knew if I showed her, I was going to lose it, so I had it. I bought something with it and I was caught. Gracious Lord!!!! Till I leave this earth I won't forget what my mum did to me. What you described is minimal. She tied me up with a robe and actually put that pepper in my Anus and eyes and kept me in the hot sun, all the while screaming on top of her voice, no child of mine will be a thief. But I was crying and saying, I didn't steal it, she said, you will steal if you don't stop now.
When I was released, I advised myself against picking other things. Till this day, I don't pick things on the road.

How ll you see it if your mum judgement is to continue punishing you like you described above for the next 10 years?

I think what the op want you to justify is the fairness of punishing someone for eternity for a finite crime.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by analice107: 4:52pm On Apr 22, 2016
dorox:

The op is about finding a moral justification for hell, it is not about if it exist or not. So she has every right to say what she think about the morality of that type of punishment.
She has the right to say WHAT SHE THINKS, about the morality of the punishment?
Really? Who sets the boundaries for that morality? Her?
Yahweh created his earth. Decided to create animals differently. It was his prerogative to create man differently from other animals. He created him in his image.
God is not mortal, He is immortal, He is a spirit, invisible. In that same way he created man.
But if man remains in that state, how can he be visible in a visible, material earth? hence; the body which houses the spirit.

2 Corinthians 5:4 For while we are still in this tent, (body) we groan under the burden and sigh deeply (weighed down, depressed, oppressed)—not that we want to put off the body (the clothing of the spirit), but rather that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal (our dying body) may be swallowed up by life [after the resurrection].

He decides to set his rules over his creation as it pleased Him. she wasn't there, her opinion wasn't sort. Now she has the right to think about the morality of the punishment?
Does God answer to her?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? by analice107: 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Nice; lose an argument, dish out a few more condescending cliches & pretend the argument never mattered anyway. Well, I suppose that's all you can do at this point.
LOlzzz. This lady. Why shd we keep at it? You don't believe in these things, so why waste time?
Babe, go inside New Age threads you won't find me there. I won't go bantering reincarnation with them. Why should I waste my time talking about Astral projections? So I don't understand why you are always here saying the things you say bringing condemnation against yourself

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lessons And Benefits Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ / Was Judaism,Christianity And Islam Copied From Ancient Egyptian Mythology ? / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens : Obedience Must Be Total

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.