Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,358 members, 7,819,281 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Egba And Ijebu People; Their Discrete Features And Traditions - Enroute.ng - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Egba And Ijebu People; Their Discrete Features And Traditions - Enroute.ng (2646 Views)

The Proposed Oshodi-Abule Egba BRT Route: 11 Things To Know (PHOTOS) / Night View Of The Water Fountain At Abule Egba Jubilee Bridge(pics) / Bride-to-be & Her Fiance Die In Auto Crash Enroute To Lagos From PH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Egba And Ijebu People; Their Discrete Features And Traditions - Enroute.ng by EnrouteNG: 12:15pm On Apr 20, 2016
Ogun State is blessed with two different sets of people with rich cultural heritage and blessed age-long traditions; the Egbas and the Ijebus. The Egba and Ijebu people are wonderful sets of people and are both under the Yoruba tribe of Nigeria. They might have a lot of similarities but they sure have their different characteristics, traditions, customs and norms. Here are some of the differences I have observed and gotten about them;

The Egbas love to eat “Lafun”; a meal made from Cassava flour, while the Ijebus love “Ikokore”; a meal made from water yam. A combination of “Lafun” and “Ewedu” (Corchorus) is perfect for the Egbas while Ijebus love to have “Ikokore” garnished with fish and meat.

As you know very well, any Egba son who does not eat lafun is what Fela refers to as suwegbe. In BBHS, we had a place we called down below. At down below, you ate very hot and very smooth lafun every morning. I still do that. Lafun is my best food with ewedu.
– Oba Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo, Alake of Egba land

She paid attention to details and would ask what food I wanted ahead of our arrival. On one occasion she made sure my favourite Ijebu delicacy, Ikokore, was ready, accompanied by assorted meat and snails.
– Dele Momodu on Mama Awolowo

Language

The Egba people speak a local dialect known as the Egba dialect, while the Ijebu people speak a local dialect referred to as the Ijebu dialect. Though you might find some of them speaking the central Yoruba language.

Anthem

The Egba people have an anthem that depicts their cultural heritage and their ties with the Olumo rock, below is the Egba anthem;

Lori oke o’un petele Ibe l’agbe bi mi si o Ibe l’agbe to mi d’agba oo Ile ominira
Chorus: Maa yo, maa yo, maa yo o; l’Ori Olumo; Maa yo, maa yo, maa yo o; l’Ori Olumo
Abeokuta ilu Egba Un ko nii gbagbe e re Un o gbe o l’eke okan mi Bii ilu odo oya Emi o f’Abeokuta sogo Un o duro l’ori Olumo Maayo l’oruko Egba ooo Emi omoo Lisabi E e!

Which loosely translates to:

On the hill and in the valley, it is where I was born, it is where I was nurtured, the home of victors.
Chorus: I’ll rejoice, rejoice, rejoice; On top of Olumo; I’ll rejoice , rejoice, rejoice; On top of Olumo. Abeokuta, home of the Egbas, I will not forget you, I will regard you highly in my heart, like the cities beyond the shores,I will sing the praises of Abeokuta, I will stand on Olumo rock, I will rejoice in the Egba’s heritage, I, a descendant of Lisabi!

Unlike the Egba people, the Ijebus only have an anthem that eulogizes the Awujale of Ijebu land. It goes thus:

Kaabiyesi o (2ce) Alaiye Oba wa, K’adepel’ori o kibatape lese, k’adepel’ori. K’odigbapel’orun, Ki Oba petiti, Ki ijobatuwalara, kaabiyesi o. Oba waoninu re. Kaabiyesi o (2ce)!

Which translates to:

Oh King! (2ce) Ruler of the earth, may your authority last long, may your reign bring ease to the land, Oh King. Our kind King, Oh King! (2ce)

Facial Marks

The Egbas and Ijebus can be distinguished from other Yoruba groups with how their facial tribal marks are cut. The Egba facial mark is known as the “Abaja Oro” which consists of three perpendicular lines, each about 3 inches long on each cheek. Although, the younger generations have their lines rather faint or of shorter lengths. The Ijebu facial mark is known as “Pele Ijebu” which consists of three short longitudinal lines inscribed on the cheeks.

continue here: http://enroute.ng/art-and-culture/differences-can-find-among-egba-ijebu-people/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is 3 Million Naira Enough To Move To Uk Or Europe ? / Japa: Naija Man Transform London Bus Into 'Mama Put' Joint (video) / How Can I Get To Ogba From Iyana Ipaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.