Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,613 members, 7,816,520 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Crayfish Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Crayfish Farming (6368 Views)

Crayfish At Rock Bottom Price / Nutritious Crayfish For Sale / Buy Your Fresh Crayfish From Akwaibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crayfish Farming by rareman(m): 7:57pm On Apr 20, 2016
Good evening great people, please I want to know if crayfish can reared in a compound, if yes please any idea on how to start it and what is the profitability of that.
Re: Crayfish Farming by rareman(m): 7:47am On Apr 21, 2016
Please who can help me in this project, where can we get crayfish to rear in homes or is it not possible?
Re: Crayfish Farming by midastouch: 9:54am On Apr 21, 2016
Crayfish farming is not for the faint of heart.

1. You need power 24/7 (for aeration and paddle-wheels)
2. You need to monitor lots of water attributes: dissolved oxygen, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, temperature, dissolved solids, salinity etc
3. You need to monitor the beneficial bacteria and algae

it is an expensive venture whether its marine shrimp (salt water) or fresh water shrimp.

I am not trying to discourage you, but rather to encourage you and get you prepared. Good luck. Its lucrative though.
Re: Crayfish Farming by rareman(m): 11:39am On Apr 21, 2016
midastouch:
Crayfish farming is not for the faint of heart.

1. You need power 24/7 (for aeration and paddle-wheels)
2. You need to monitor lots of water attributes: dissolved oxygen, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, temperature, dissolved solids, salinity etc
3. You need to monitor the beneficial bacteria and algae

it is an expensive venture whether its marine shrimp (salt water) or fresh water shrimp.

I am not trying to discourage you, but rather to encourage you and get you prepared. Good luck. Its lucrative though.
Thanks a lot, but please is their a way or a place to under study that aspect of farm. I realize that aside the local fishermen, its hardly done around here. Thank you once more
Re: Crayfish Farming by midastouch: 10:59am On Apr 22, 2016
rareman:

Thanks a lot, but please is their a way or a place to under study that aspect of farm. I realize that aside the local fishermen, its hardly done around here. Thank you once more

As far as I know (I might be VERY wrong), there is no crayfish farm currently operating in Nigeria. Maybe, you might be the trailblazer that we are waiting for. You never know! smiley.

If you have the means (finances) and are ready to travel, I can recommend a farm in the US. You can visit them to train and then return to setup your own operations.
Re: Crayfish Farming by rareman(m): 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
midastouch:

As far as I know (I might be VERY wrong), there is no crayfish farm currently operating in Nigeria. Maybe, you might be the trailblazer that we are waiting for. You never know! smiley.

If you have the means (finances) and are ready to travel, I can recommend a farm in the US. You can visit them to train and then return to setup your own operations.

Thanks once more, I only got the will, can I have the US link please
Re: Crayfish Farming by midastouch: 6:53pm On Apr 22, 2016
rareman:

Thanks once more, I only got the will, can I have the US link please

Marvesta Shrimp Farms

+1 (410) 943-1733

INFO@MARVESTA.COM

2 Likes

Re: Crayfish Farming by Eminash: 12:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
rareman:
Good evening great people, please I want to know if crayfish can reared in a compound, if yes please any idea on how to start it and what is the profitability of that.
I would rather crayfish and other marine edibles are not farmed. Those fish that are farmed don't have the same nutritional content as the ones fished from their natural wild sea environment, simply because of what they it. So those of you farming any type of fish, stop immediately, you are deceiving people with fake promise of fish nutrients like Omega 3 fats, protein etc. Let nature take it's course.
Re: Crayfish Farming by Katorh: 11:05am On Feb 25, 2017
DO YOU WANT TO START A BUSINESS?
Starting a business could be so frightening! Sometimes, this is not because we lack a sound business idea. Sorry, you would have not just been sure of how to go about starting. You are not alone in this mist; nearly all great entrepreneurs once wondered how to start. They brood over their idea again, and again, night after night. Then, eventually, they got started.
You too can turn this idea in your head into a massive successful business!
Here is what you have to do:
1) PLAN: Starting a business indeed starts with having an idea of the value you want to add to your circle (or community). Most times, people feel a business starts with money, NO! A business (a company) starts in your head. That idea in your head is already good for the start. When you have an idea, take some time to put it on paper. Putting your idea on paper helps you to give it a structure or an order. It is like someone who wants to build a house. Luke 14:28 say: 'Which of you, wishing to build a tower, does not sit down and count the cost to see if he has the resources to complete it?' This is beautiful! You see, you don't need to necessary have an MBA to plan out your idea. Go ahead and make a simple note of all the things you feel the business would needs. Where would you find buyers for the product or service. Which place is best for locating the business, and why? How can you get capital to power this idea? Your idea does not start with getting funds or working capital. Like labour, location, development of the product or service (branding), working capital is only a part of the business. Don't allow the absence of capital to tie down this beautiful idea in your head. Go ahead and plan, then money will come. Planning, therefore, helps you see all you need to power the idea and where to find them.
2) CREATE A STRUCTURE & MANAGE IT: After you have planned, the next phase would be to begin to gather all you need. Do you need to build a team to achieve this start? or can you start alone and then have others join you later? It is important that you have a timeline (or Milestone). Have you ever heard about Lead Time? Delays may emerge, yes… But you must not allow them to stop you! Business comes with challenges, it is normal. So don't run like a headless chicken because a challenge has emerged. What makes you a manager is your ability to sort out things. Go ahead and nail this thing.
You see, you must stop thinking that a business has to start with a big office, a big company car, or a registered company. All those things will come.
Kator Hule (WeClean) writes from Makurdi
He is nominated for Entrepreneur of the Year. Voting is ongoing here:
http://benueyouthchoiceawards.gistpartner.com/vote-now/
Email: huleak@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

FG Targets 20m Tonnes Of Domestic Food Production By 2015 / Farmers In Imo State / Drip Tube Irrigation For Sale @ Discounted prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.