Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl (1031 Views)

Sun Java Studio Creator 2.0 / Whats My Worth As A Sun Certified Java Developer / 12 Year-old Nigerian Bags Sun's Java Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl by candylips(m): 2:19pm On Nov 15, 2006
Finally Java has been relicensed under GPL. But is there any benefit to this since most of Java has been Open source for a long time undecided
Re: Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl by wilkanah(m): 2:52pm On Nov 15, 2006
has java been open source?
Re: Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl by sbucareer(f): 3:20pm On Nov 15, 2006

Java has always been an open source technology. That is why we have companies like JBoss, IBM, BEA, Netbean etc are all using java core technologies and charge you for a well presented specifcation development like J2EE or JEE etc.

Download any JDK and sun will package the core classes in a file called c:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\src.zip, from here you have a blueprint of all the architecture of java but not the compiler.

Unlike Microsoft and other close source vendors, MS use .dll, .com to package their win32 or VB6 etc programming core APIs.
Re: Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:25pm On Nov 15, 2006
the idea behind it is to get open source developers more interested in the language. and thats good 4d company anyway at least the more d brains d fewer the bugz. nice strategy i must say
Re: Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl by kengimel(m): 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2006
I think that it is going to open doors to very good improvments to the Java Technology and as i must congratulate their

move because i think that SUN is getting to understand the IT and programmers saying

' that knowledge belongs to the \"WORLD\"';
Re: Sun Relicenses Java Under Gpl by mimohmi(m): 5:50am On Nov 28, 2006
Welcome to the open JDK. Everything is just open from jdk to jvm.
Catch up with the vibe at https://openjdk.dev.java.net/

(1) (Reply)

Programmers Please Help Me O / Free Source Codes For All Languages / If State In A DO LOOP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.