Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,663 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB (1208 Views)

18 States That Will Benefit From $500m World Bank Projects / Nigeria Derived No Benefit From Previous Devaluations Of The Naria – Buhari / The Economist's Evidence On Devaluations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by hassan85(m): 3:16pm On Apr 22, 2016
NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS
DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PRESIDENT
BUHARI

President Muhammadu Buahri insisted Friday in
Abuja that he was yet to be convinced that the
vast majority of ordinary Nigerians will derive any
tangible benefit from a devaluation of the Naira.
Speaking at a meeting with members of the
Council of Retired Federal Permanent
Secretaries, President Buhari said that he still
held the conviction which motivated his
principled resistance to devaluation in his first
tenure as Head of State.

"When I was military Head of State, the IMF and
the World Bank wanted us devalue the Naira and
remove petrol subsidy but I stood my grounds for
the good of Nigeria.

"The Naira remained strong against the Dollar
and other foreign currencies until I was removed
from office in August, 1985 and it was devalued.
"But how many factories were built and how
many jobs were created by the devaluation?

"That is why I'm still asking to be convinced
today on the benefits of devaluation," President
Buhari told the retired Permanent Secretaries led
by Otunba Christopher Tugbobo.

President Buhari welcomed the Council's pledge
of support for the successful implementation of
his administration's Change Agenda, especially in
the priority areas of improving security, curbing
corruption and revitalizing the national economy.
"I am glad you have rightly identified the key
issues we campaigned on.

"We need a dynamic bureaucracy which will not
mislead us into taking wrong decisions," the
President said.

The Council of Retired Federal Permanent
Secretaries was established in 2004 to serve as
a platform for retired permanent secretaries to
offer constructive advice to government on key
policy issues.

Chief Philip Asiodu, the Pioneer Chairman of the
Council, said that its members want the present
Administration to succeed because Nigeria has
already lost many opportunities for progress.
"We are non-partisan. The interest of Nigeria is
paramount to us and we are anxious that you
should succeed," Chief Asiodu told the President.

Femi Adesina
Special Adviser to the President
(Media & Publicity)
April 22, 2016

https://mobile.facebook.com/GarShehu/photos/a.1636528929894525.1073741828.1636468759900542/1730938080453609/?type=3&lul&_rdr

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by hassan85(m): 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
I actually Dont know why all of a sudden IMF cares so much for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Beeman1(m): 3:20pm On Apr 22, 2016
Good.
Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by bentlywills(m): 3:37pm On Apr 22, 2016
For everything Buhari have done not devaluing the naira is one I gv my utmost respect and support.

I stand with you on dz One..BuBu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Goke7: 3:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
Its high time those who keep asking for devaluation find another thing to say cos its evident PMB will not bulge.
Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Buharism: 3:58pm On Apr 22, 2016
Devalue naira and devalue naija. #SayNoToDevaluation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by phantom(m): 4:13pm On Apr 22, 2016
and they call this man illiterate...

yes he maybe an illiterate but those of us who voted for him see a man who is very intelligent. a leader who questions everything and isnt MOVED by his aides and advisers.
this man is not a pushover and thats what this country needs......a patriotic defiant leader!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by LoveMachine(m): 5:11pm On Apr 22, 2016
hassan85:

They know we are a few cycles away from being self sufficient. With our people power and our soon to be newfound infrastructure we will be unstoppable.

The majority of the continent tends to follow our lead. So when we get it together they will follow suit. We are the first domino that they want to keep from starting the reaction.

170+ million black people in a thriving nation is terrifying to white supremacy. Imagine when all of our sectors are booming. Tourism, mining and agric alone will get us right but the petro dollars and people power are going to put us in rare air.

Check out how Egypt is doing after devaluation. All those NEPA bill jokes will soon cease when people see the results.
http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/egypt-back-to-square-one-a-month-after-it-devalued-its-currency.205038/

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 22, 2016
bentlywills:
For everything Buhari have done not devaluing the naira is one I gv my utmost respect and support.

I stand with you on dz One..BuBu
Me too.
Those IMF people are the most dubious characters on earth

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by modath(f): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
The Naira remained strong against the Dollar and other foreign currencies until I was removed from office in August, 1985 and it was devalued.

"But how many factories were built and how many jobs were created by the devaluation

Before any mumu begin act on menu 3 (curse/ abuse) of the wailing Robot programme, answer this kweshion first... cool

Pseudo economists are also enjoined to state facts & not just spew confusing technical jargons!

Who & when for NAIJA devaluation don epp? undecided

Cc 989900

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by malton: 5:26pm On Apr 22, 2016
undecided

Imagine say, you devalue the naira, alright.

Let me quickly highlight the disadvantages:

The value of investors' holdings reduces. This will scare off foreign investors.

There will be a sharp rise in the cost of debt repayments owed in foreign currency/ies

Inflation results.

Reduction in the purchasing power of the citizenry.

Just to list a few.

The insistence on Nigeria devaluing the naira for me is a sort of modern day colonialism that's meant to sap the poor and plunge us into deeper problems than we've found ourselves in today.

"The IMF, along with the World Bank has put the global on a path of greater inequality and environmental destruction." (Per global exchange website).

Ladies and gentlemen, that, in quote above, is the agenda...always has been!

So, Mr president, thanks for maintaining your stance. Your resolve will be tested, but never will you cave in to suckers and conduits of western enrichment!
Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Standing5(m): 5:30pm On Apr 22, 2016
The fact is we have very little to export asides oil and thust devaluation will only make us need more local currency to buy same foreign good we are used to while at the same time increasing the rate of our capital flight because that will mean more scarce local money leaving our system for same value of old.
Buhari is right 100%.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Standing5(m): 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2016
modath:

Before any mumu begin act on menu 3 (curse/ abuse) of the wailing Robot programme, answer this kweshion first... cool

Pseudo economists are also enjoined to state facts & not just spew confusing technical jargons!

Who & when for NAIJA devaluation don epp? undecided

Cc 989900
You dey mind them?
Devaluation is optional but best suited for economies that are ready to turn a new leaf by increasing alternative exported goods. In Nigeria we still don't have the apparatus to support local production, not even refining of crude that's in abundance. It a shame.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by 989900: 6:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
I posted the below yesterday:

The frustration is real, no doubt.

The present frustration is largely due to our 'no-budget' situation.

Once the budget is passed and the government shows direction in implementation and other policies, things would ease up a bit -- only then can investors (foreign and domestic) make decisions, as it is, the country is in a state of perpetual limbo. And, it's making rate of repatriation of funds much higher than investment of funds -- we have a problem!

Then we have energy issues: the less electric power served, the more fuel we consume/import, the more dollars we require for imports, the more dollar scarcity created = higher exchange rate as felt in the past 2 weeks . . . customers using their bank cards online or at ATMs outside the country can testify to this.

The recent massive import of fuel recently siphoned more dollars off the market!

'The decline in forex allocation to the banks by the CBN was attributed to the deal struck by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and international oil companies (IOCs) on direct dollar sales to oil marketing firms aimed at addressing the fuel shortage in the country.'
http://naija247news.com/2016/04/how-naira-yuan-currency-swap-deal-will-ease-pressure-on-nigerias-fx-market/

It's a shame we 'technically' do not have refineries . . . heard those should start working part time some time soon, but we've heard that a million times now.
However, we do have pipeline vandals who ensure we do not have power supply, and crude supply to the partially working refineries, nor product supply to the few resuscitated depots.

Then we have hoarders, racketeers and profiteers, aided by senior CBN and bank executives. Now this is the part I blame Buhari for (his stance would definitely create this kind of scenario, now, what are the checks and balances he had in place . . . forget CBN's autonomy . . .).
As for Emefiele and the other CBN deputy governors, they are as crooked as scoliosis -- they are part of the reason why the situation is amplified.

The below is an excerpt from another thread:

The market has waited nervously for the outcome of the review of the FX market Nigeria’s Central Bank says it is conducting.

After the January MPC meeting, the Central Bank said, “in the medium term within which monetary policy is cast, the need to allow policy to produce the desired outcomes becomes a key consideration in the policy mix. Consequently, the bank is fine-tuning the framework for foreign exchange management with a view to ensuring a more effective and liquid foreign exchange market. ”

After the March meeting of the MPC, the apex bank issued a statement in which it said, “however, the Committee (MPC) charged the bank (CBN) to speed up reforms of the foreign exchange market to improve certainty and eliminate noise and opportunities for arbitrage…”

One month after, there is no word on the said review despite the urgency in the MPC statement of March.

Now my questions are:

How will devaluation automatically put an end to all these, I mean it hasn't since 1986.

I want a quick fix, we all want a quick fix, we are all affected; apart from the temporary relief devaluation might bring, how does it solve the 'causes'?

Can anyone guarantee with the same oil prices, the same racketeers and saboteurs won't play their hands, and the black market/official rate wide gap resurfacing?

When do we put a kibosh to the causes?

Fine, pump prices are presently headed for N200/litre averagely albeit temporarily, are we ready to make that permanent -- devaluation guarantees that.

Inflation is presently @ 12.2% (which is an abomination), with devaluation comes agitation for wages increase, comes further inflation -- are we ready . . . ?

Nigerians appetite for foreign goods (which is actually just averagely 25% of the country's demand for forex) will not automatically die with devaluation, rather, there will be call for increase in wages, so we can continue where we left off! We've been doing that since time immemorial. BTW, who bought 36 Landcruisers?

We need to think outside the box to bring the BM rates closer to the CBN rates, some economists have suggested some alternative ways -- the government needs to look into those and get something started already -- a direction!

1 Like

Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by OlujobaSamuel: 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2016
on your track, get set to attack pmb, GO!
sir, they have no cogent reason, they will rather abuse you and anyone that tries to defend you.
Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by worksmart(m): 10:28pm On Apr 22, 2016
Simple irrefutable truth!
Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by musicwriter(m): 11:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
hassan85:

Neither IMF nor world bank cares about Nigeria. They're "for profit" organization like every other bank. They're not charity organization.

They make money by giving loan to countries. Therefore, they cannot make money unless they find a country to give loan.

If they could make our condition worse, they will, to be in business.
Re: NIGERIA DERIVED NO BENEFIT FROM PREVIOUS DEVALUATIONS OF THE NAIRA - PMB by Kainene77: 11:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
hassan85:

"The Naira remained strong against the Dollar
and other foreign currencies until I was removed
from office in August, 1985 and it was devalued.

"But how many factories were built and how
many jobs were created by the devaluation?

April 22, 2016

https://mobile.facebook.com/GarShehu/photos/a.1636528929894525.1073741828.1636468759900542/1730938080453609/?type=3&lul&_rdr

This is not true. The Naira was losing value rapidly at that time. And again, devaluation was not the issue, depreciation was.

(1) (Reply)

Soldier Forces Secondary School Students To Drink And Swim In Gutter - Video / LASTMA Towed A Lagbus Filled With 48 Passengers To Their Oshodi Office / Pastor Ize-iyeamu, Lucky Igbinedion And Peoples Democratic Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.