Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions (3088 Views)

Godswill Akpabio Attends IniAbasi Emem Akpabio's Graduation Ceremony In The US / Photos Of Godswill Akpabio At Calabar Carnival / Akpabio's Secret Meeting With Tinubu: PDP Moves Against Godswill Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by CHIJIOKE1314: 8:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
Question: You have been very vocal lately in dismissing and trashing the then federal military government’s post-civil war efforts at the 3 Rs: Reconstruction, Reconciliation and Rehabilitation. What don’t you agree with?

AKPABIO: As a young man, you definitely will not understand me. But I was a victim of the Civil War. I was one of those who suffered the pains of the war. I was born sometime in 1962; the civil war came really into our area in 1967. So, I was probably five or six years old during the war; and if I had been around nine years, I would probably have been conscripted.

I saw parents throw their children into pit toilets because they did not want their positions to be made known to the enemy. I saw devastation; I saw kwashiorkor; I saw hunger; I saw thousands of people and bodies littered everywhere and smelling while vultures had a field day every day. I saw houses destroyed; I saw families scattered such that till the end of the world, they can never gather themselves together again.

There were children who were shipped away to Gabon, and they can never come back to Nigeria again because they were small. How would two-year-olds and three-year-olds ever know where they came from? They are now proud Gabonese and I don’t think Nigerians are even asking questions.

So, during the Silverbird Man of the Year Award, there were pictures that were shown of the Civil War. Somebody, sitting by me, who is from the West, was asking if those things were acted: the Kwashiorkor-ridden children with their swollen tummies, ugly shapes and bony structures because of hunger and starvation.

The then Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon attempted to explain that he tried everything to avoid the scenes that were being shown on the screen, that he did not want the war. The other person who could have answered him, unfortunately, that is Emeka Ojukwu, is dead. He said he tried everything to stop the war from breaking out but it’s only Ojukwu who could have answered whether he equally did his part in avoiding the war.

But something struck me: it was said that Gowon should be commended for initiating the three Rs: reconciliation, rehabilitation and reconstruction. And I asked a very simple question, that I came with a written text but I wasn’t going to read it. I thanked Silverbird for the award; and I said I did not want to criticise my leaders because I am also now a leader. But I asked to be allowed to ask a question: how come reconstruction started in the West when the war was actually fought in the East?

They started the Third Mainland Bridge, the National Theatre, the international airport, and so on, in the West, while the war was fought in the eastern region. And if we really wanted to ensure total reconciliation, how come every account holder in the eastern region was given only £20?

It did not matter whether your father had £10,000,000 or £50,000,000 before the war; you were given just £20. It was a take it or leave it situation. If your family survived and there was an account holder alive, he/she went to the bank, and collected just £20.

Could £20 pounds solve the Kwashiorkor that we were seeing? Could it reconstruct the houses that were burnt? Could it produce food? A lot of other things happened that I did not mention on that occasion. Don’t forget that it was shortly after the war in 1971 that the policy of indigenisation started, where most of the foreign industries and companies were sold to Nigerians, and the war-ravaged eastern regions, which include the entire South-South and the rest of them, could not buy, because no one who did not have money to even feed or clothe himself would have had money to buy any industry.

So, I was just wondering, as a young man, if that was true reconciliation, because one would have thought that the government would have gone to any extent to give them more money so that they could truly rehabilitate themselves.

They needed money from reconstruction, and I would have thought that reconstruction would have also started from the East. I just asked because we were lucky to have the personae dramatis of the war right in still alive : General T. Y. Danjuma, General Yakubu Gowon, General Obasanjo, General Buhari and others. It is very rare to see these former heads of state in just one place, so I had to ask.

I said also that it is important, even for the current-day leaders, that we continue to take actions that will unite Nigeria. And we should purge ourselves of actions that tend to cause pains to Nigerians. For me, I believe that because of certain policies of the federal government after the war, the war did not cease in the eastern region until about 30 years after the war.

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/godswill-akpabio-speaks-on-biafra-war-asks-pertinent-questions/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by CHIJIOKE1314: 8:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
Depend on what choices you have..

Whatever your choice is, food is done!

1 Like

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by DonMaxxy(m): 8:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
Very sad indeed. Whenever I remember the war and the ethnic cleansing of the Igbos, I feel like crying...and I always cry...and I have not stopped crying. It reminds me of the Tutsis of Rwanda.

Anyways: " In the end we shall remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends"

I think that when Martin Luther King Jr made the prophetic quote above; he was having the Biafrans in mind and their possible liberation that will come one day.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by CHIJIOKE1314: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
DonMaxxy:
Very sad indeed. Whenever I remember the war and the ethnic cleansing of the Igbos, I feel like crying...and I always cry...and I have not stopped crying. It reminds me of the Tutsis of Rwanda.

Anyways: " In the end we shall remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends"

I think that when Martin Luther King Jr made the prophetic quote above; he was having the Biafrans in mind and their possible liberation that will come one day.

They are parasites, that's why they can't see anything good about themselves eccept they cling onto what they despise so much.. Hard to understand..

Igbos must brace up and be ready for round 2..i have always maintain that death is better than the lives as witness in this useless contraption called Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by kendo24(m): 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2016
Marginalisation since 1914. U fought a war in the East and u start reconstructing the West. Yet, they want to force it down our throats dat we are one Nigeria, Never!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Richardonald(m): 10:16pm On Apr 22, 2016
Nonsense upon nonsense biafra kor marfia

4 Likes

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by fernandoc(m): 10:25pm On Apr 22, 2016
It will only take a race like the Igbo's to bounce back after such humiliation. I still say that the Igbo race is the most superior in Nigeria. Doubt all you want, even those doubting know in there hearts what I'm talking about. That's the truth. Any Igbo man should be proud to be an Igbo cos I can't even imagine myself coming from another tribe.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by MrAnalyst: 11:10pm On Apr 22, 2016
In the years to come history will remember our sacrifices. We will be immortalized!
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by CHIJIOKE1314: 11:50pm On Apr 22, 2016
The only viable solution is Boom! ..

This Nigerian criminals and their slowpoke children will never let go easily. .

We must gather ourselves together and go back fighting for what we believe..
All this one they are shouting no violence, I wont be part of it.. But you all shall know me anyday it turned into violence..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by pchukwudi: 12:02am On Apr 23, 2016
This is very painful actually. Yet folks like OBJ and Buhari will open their mouths to question the renewed agitations,. They conviniently forget that they have not done anything to redeem themselves and their unborn generations from the consequences of the massive and deliberate physical and economic genocide they committed against ndigbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Masculity(m): 12:27am On Apr 23, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
[b][/b]

They are parasites, that's why they can't see anything good about themselves eccept they cling onto what they despise so much.. Hard to understand..

Igbos must brace up and be ready for round 2..i have always maintain that death is better than the lives as witness in this useless contraption called Nigeria..

Are you sure
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by CHIJIOKE1314: 12:37am On Apr 23, 2016
Masculity:

Are you sure

I am very sure and very soon this thing that look like life we have in this country which is pure cowardice will soon varnish..

1 Like

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by enlightenedmind: 1:06am On Apr 23, 2016
Igbos are so self absorbed that that they cannot even see that all these do not really matter anymore. Your state governors have been given state allocations and money. Where is it? What does a war that happened decades ago have to do with the corruption of state governors in the area? What did Ojukwu himself do to stop the war? You are screaming and carrying a self-imposed pain in your heart forgetting that all black people on earth have had to live centuries of dying, poverty, racism and discrimination. The black people in America can explain their pain to you.
People might accuse me of hating igbos, i do not hate any. I only speak the truth. All the allocations that have been to all states in Nigeria to develop, where r they.

These politicians and elites make pple believe that our problem is tribal or religious when it has absolutely nothing to do with that. This Akpabio that is even speaking is emphasing on the financial gains rather than the psychological trauma the igbo had to endure. Was it about the £20 pounds or about the feeling and scar that may have remained? While we are here screaming and killing ourselves,

Ali Modu Sherrif: Has looted and made enough money to last his 10 generations a life time.

Akpabio himself: Same as above

Saraki, Mark, PMB, Fayose, Wike, Ameachi, Iman of North, Emir of north, Pastors in the west, Tinubu, Senate members, Ministers. They are all getting richer and robbing us blind, then giving us a distraction (Saraki) to hide their own corruption.

Fact is northern leader will gladly take holy communion if it got them billions in their account and southern leaders would gladly kiss the koran and accept Jihad if u tell them they will get trillions of dollars. We at the bottom remain deprived and exploited and used as political tools expendable to death.

This what is happening. And it has nothing to do with political parties, religon or tribe. It is that 165 Central banks in the world is owned by one man. That our economy is becoming capitalized and we are being turned into cheap expendible labour. That 80% of Nigeria's wealth belong to less than 1% of the population. That 90% of the world's wealth belongs to 1% of the world. The politicians and Americans screaming BIAFRA, CHIBOOK, HUMAN RIGHTS, do not care about Biafra. Biafrans have wanted freedom since 1967, nobody cared, why now? That Nnamdi Kanu, Tompolo, Mohammed Yusuf who are the closest things in society to giving their own people a voice can be classed as terrorists and jailed but there is no trial for Panama looters, and we have to wait 1 year to send Saraki to jail.

So their continued theft and enslavement is dependnt on how effectively they can manipulate populations. All these propaganda has absolutely nothing to do with biafra and if the Biafra was being driven truly for the interest of biafrans i would be at the fore-front. I myself is tired of northern oppression. But this is all about selfish interest.

There are only two sides to this war: THE POLITICIANS/ELITE VS THE PEOPLE. The earlier we realize this and begin to demand our rights, the better for us. Biafrans/ Boko/ can divide, that will not stop the political/elite class from exploiting us. Even if we go and they still continue their corruption across borders nko? SMH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqDhyp8-93w

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Emancipation: 1:14am On Apr 23, 2016
One day, my grandchildren will come back from school and ask me questions about a country they learnt in history class. They will say "Grandpapa, what is Nigeria?" "How did such a crazy country exist" and I will look at them in their innocent eyes and say to them "you are blessed to be born in the land of the rising sun"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Progressive01(m): 1:43am On Apr 23, 2016
All you need to do is check the "source" and you won't be disappointed. cheesy

Awon Lying Wailing iPod Cankerworms. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by IamAtribalist: 2:41am On Apr 23, 2016
cool Mr. Akpabio is forgetting ONE thing: there are consequences for LOSING a war you STARTED. Ojukwu and Biafra dared Nigeria and Nigeria taught them a lesson they will never forget to this very day. Some idiot above said he is ready for round two. Well we are waiting for you to fire the first bullet. When the Igbo officers were slaughtering Non-Igbo leaders across the country, the Igbos were celebrating in their streets and rejoicing. What happened to them during the war was karma. Those who live by the sword MUST die by the sword. The good news is that MOST Igbos (because of their strength of mind) have moved on. It is the few trouble makers like Kanu and IPOB who are calling for round two. And the security agencies should fish those rabble rousers out and deal with them summarily. Otherwise, tens of millions of Igbos could lose their lives because of mad men like Kanu just like what happened with the mad man Ojukwu. cool

3 Likes

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Emancipation: 4:07am On Apr 23, 2016
The biggest mistake Ojukwu made was thinking he was fighting a war with Nigeria. The war was technically between Biafra, Britain and Russia with Egypt on the side line.

It is like in a boxing match when you are preparing to fight with a middle weight challenger but all of a sudden two other HEAVY weight champions joins the ring to fight you and you are getting punches from all corners...lol. At the end the middle weight champion keeps bragging about how he beat you.

The Biafran war symbolizes the era when Igbos lost the level playing field forever in Nigeria. For Igbos dreaming that nigeria will level the playing field and allow meritocracy...dream on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by kuuljay(m): 4:21am On Apr 23, 2016
If only igbo politicians prove that they are superior by putting the federal allocations into judicial use we would know biafra would be a paradise as they think, something is wrong with black man in general, the only countries doing well in Africa has fairer skin,take the whites out of south Africa and watch it crumble,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by xelly: 4:33am On Apr 23, 2016
enlightenedmind:

Igbos are so self absorbed that that they cannot even see that all these do not really matter anymore. Your state governors have been given state allocations and money. Where is it? What does a war that happened decades ago have to do with the corruption of state governors in the area? What did Ojukwu himself do to stop the war?

Can such be said of the North? For instance, let the Governors of the Boko Haram affected states continue to collect state allocation. Whatever action we take or fail to take, in the end, we will give account to our creator. We will be judged with what we say not only what we do.

You are screaming and carrying a self-imposed pain in your heart forgetting that all black people on earth have had to live centuries of dying, poverty, racism and discrimination. The black people in America can explain their pain to you.
People might accuse me of hating igbos, i do not hate any. I only speak the truth. All the allocations that have been to all states in Nigeria to develop, where r they.

If you know any state that have not utilised the fund given to them, you can join the ICPC and expose them.

These politicians and elites make pple believe that our problem is tribal or religious when it has absolutely nothing to do with that. This Akpabio that is even speaking is emphasing on the financial gains rather than the psychological trauma the igbo had to endure. Was it about the £20 pounds or about the feeling and scar that may have remained? While we are here screaming and killing ourselves,

Ali Modu Sherrif: Has looted and made enough money to last his 10 generations a life time.

Saraki, Mark, PMB, Fayose, Wike, Ameachi, Iman of North, Emir of north, Pastors in the west, Tinubu, Senate members, Ministers. They are all getting richer and robbing us blind, then giving us a distraction (Saraki) to hide their own corruption.

Fact is northern leader will gladly take holy communion if it got them billions in their account and southern leaders would gladly kiss the koran and accept Jihad if u tell them they will get trillions of dollars. We at the bottom remain deprived and exploited and used as political tools expendable to death.

This what is happening. And it has nothing to do with political parties, religon or tribe. It is that 165 Central banks in the world is owned by one man. That our economy is becoming capitalized and we are being turned into cheap expendible labour. That 80% of Nigeria's wealth belong to less than 1% of the population. That 90% of the world's wealth belongs to 1% of the world. The politicians and Americans screaming BIAFRA, CHIBOOK, HUMAN RIGHTS, do not care about Biafra. Biafrans have wanted freedom since 1967, nobody cared, why now? That Nnamdi Kanu, Tompolo, Mohammed Yusuf who are the closest things in society to giving their own people a voice can be classed as terrorists and jailed but there is no trial for Panama looters, and we have to wait 1 year to send Saraki to jail.

So their continued theft and enslavement is dependnt on how effectively they can manipulate populations. All these propaganda has absolutely nothing to do with biafra and if the Biafra was being driven truly for the interest of biafrans i would be at the fore-front. I myself is tired of northern oppression. But this is all about selfish interest.

There are only two sides to this war: THE POLITICIANS/ELITE VS THE PEOPLE. The earlier we realize this and begin to demand our rights, the better for us. Biafrans/ Boko/ can divide, that will not stop the political/elite class from exploiting us. Even if we go and they still continue their corruption across borders nko? SMH

1 Like

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by MduZA: 6:01am On Apr 23, 2016
kuuljay:
If only igbo politicians prove that they are superior by putting the federal allocations into judicial use we would know biafra would be a paradise as they think, something is wrong with black man in general, the only countries doing well in Africa has fairer skin,take the whites out of south Africa and watch it crumble,

There are many African countries doing well but you Guys always use SA as a case study due to your poor embarrassing backward mentality of believing that good things only come from the whites...one of the reasons some of us do not want to associate ourselves with such people.
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Osyabj: 6:23am On Apr 23, 2016
Igbo is NOT Biafra. Biafra is NOT Igbo. Biafra comprises 4 major tribes of Ijo, Efik-Ogoja, Ibibio (Apkabio), Igbo and scores of smaller tribes, like Uhrobo, Isoko, etc. Infact it was an Igbo sabotuer, Ifeajuna, that contributed to the loss of Biafra project, not members of the other major and minor tribes of Biafra

Biafra is 100% of Eastern Region, including ALL OF SS AND SE. Get it? In the event of a New Biafran "homeland" 100% of Eastern Region, all of SS and SE shall be part and parcel of the New Biafra project.

Eastern Nigeria (100% of SS & SE) is the MOST homogeous region in Nigeria. Easterners are 99.9999% Christians, have virtually near identical language, have common culture and have intermarried for thousands of years.

Eastern Region of Nigeria SHALL remain one FOREVER!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by chukslawrence(m): 6:23am On Apr 23, 2016
Ok oooo
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Ngozi123(f): 10:36am On Apr 23, 2016
IamAtribalist:
cool Mr. Akpabio is forgetting ONE thing: there are consequences for LOSING a war you STARTED. Ojukwu and Biafra dared Nigeria and Nigeria taught them a lesson they will never forget to this very day. Some idiot above said he is ready for round two. Well we are waiting for you to fire the first bullet. When the Igbo officers were slaughtering Non-Igbo leaders across the country, the Igbos were celebrating in their streets and rejoicing. What happened to them during the war was karma. Those who live by the sword MUST die by the sword. The good news is that MOST Igbos (because of their strength of mind) have moved on. It is the few trouble makers like Kanu and IPOB who are calling for round two. And the security agencies should fish those rabble rousers out and deal with them summarily. Otherwise, tens of millions of Igbos could lose their lives because of mad men like Kanu just like what happened with the mad man Ojukwu. cool

So, you're saying that Gowon is a liar?
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Chikpat(m): 11:11am On Apr 23, 2016
This is the first time i have heard anything reasonable from Akpabio.
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Yujin(m): 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2016
kuuljay:
I'm Igbo and still tempted to agree with you but being Igbo myself made me to know Biafra will not be anything close to Nigeria in failure. Igbo politicians here in Nigeria do not reflect the real capacities of our people. We are leaving them because of the history of our people in Nigeria. In Biafra such failures will be violently kicked out.
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by gykes(m): 1:33pm On Apr 23, 2016
enlightenedmind:
Igbos are so self absorbed that that they cannot even see that all these do not really matter anymore. Your state governors have been given state allocations and money. Where is it? What does a war that happened decades ago have to do with the corruption of state governors in the area? What did Ojukwu himself do to stop the war? You are screaming and carrying a self-imposed pain in your heart forgetting that all black people on earth have had to live centuries of dying, poverty, racism and discrimination. The black people in America can explain their pain to you.

[size=15pt]God bless you my brother.. I have and will always maintain that the only division we have in this country is between the RICH AND THE POOR, every other sentiments are artificial!![/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by Masculity(m): 11:28pm On Apr 23, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:

I am very sure and very soon this thing that look like life we have in this country which is pure cowardice will soon varnish..

Be creative guy. Think positively countries are progressing, think of anything that will touch the heart of our dear children or great grandchildren.
Re: Godswill Akpabio Speaks On Biafra War, Asks Pertinent Questions by leofab(f): 1:32am On Apr 24, 2016
I see

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Member Shocks Everybody,Singlehandedly Renovates Health Centre In Kwara(Pix / South/south, Southeast Governors Meet Today In Enugu / Police Brutalise Charly Boy In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.