Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,383 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... (5463 Views)

Simple Jobs Unemployed Nigerians Can Do And Make Money On Fiverr / I'm Damn Confused And Frustrated / Frustrated With My Career What Should I Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 6:05am On Apr 23, 2016
You're unemployed, broke, and extremely frustrated with your circumstances. You can't find a job, or any means of employable income, so you figure you'll start a blog or an online business and maybe that will help you earn just enough money to at least, get you started on getting back on your feet.

But sadly that doesn't work either. Nothing works. Everyday you pray for something different, and everyday you experience more of the same. Your life has become an endless cycle of depression and inspiration.

You feel down one minute, come up with an idea to get out of your rut, but after some more critical thinking, you soon realize your "plan" is really just an illusion and wishful thinking, so again, you sink back into your depression.

What do you do?

To be honest, I wish I had an answer for that. Sure, it would be easy for me to type a bulleted list of points for you to follow to get out of your funk. Sure I could tell you to go back to school, or tell you that you should have chosen a better degree, made better grades, or even made better choices earlier in life.

I could even tell you to just start an online business. Create a free blog, find a niche, work hard, be persistent, and one day you will be successful. I could say all of this and then some, but in the end, does it really help?

When someone is at their lowest, what advice can you really give someone to not only inspire and motivate them to action, but also give them the confidence and encouragement to keep going when fatigue and disappointment creep back in?

What do you do?

Truth be told, all I've ever wanted to do in life, was help people. As a child I used to daydream and fantasize about becoming a bestselling author and successful surgeon. I wanted to travel the world helping the poor get the medical treatment they needed but couldn't afford, and in my spare time, I wanted to write intelligent and entertaining stories, allowing me to supplement my income with my book sales.

But as we all do, I grew up, and abandoned my dreams for more 'adult' and real-world goals. I went into entrepreneurship because I believed it was my chest chance at becoming a venture capitalist. I enjoyed a modest amount of success in my early 20s, but when the US recession hit around 2008, I lost almost everything, and soon found myself broke, broken, hopeless and lost.

I had a part time job for a big box retail company, and everyday I went in to work, it made me more and more depressed because it was a reminder of the failure I'd become. I found myself hating myself more and more with each passing day, and that's when the drinking started. Which didn't help, because after waking from each drunken stupor, I felt even more like a failure, and the cycle of depression, self-hatred and drunkenness would repeat itself.

This went on for almost 2 years, until one day -- one night rather -- I got up from bed to use the bathroom, and after washing my hands, I found myself staring at my reflection. I didn't speak aloud, but I did begin thinking to myself about just how horrible my life had become.

The man in the mirror was not the man I wanted to be, but it was the man I'd become. It was me, and this was my life. It wasn't God or the Devil, fate or a cosmic disturbance in the fabric in the universe that brought my circumstance where they were. It was me.

It was my decision to indulge in self-loathing and defeat, rather than dust myself off, and start again. I gave up at a time when I should have dug deeper within myself to find the will and strength to move forward. But I didn't, and because of that I allowed myself to spend 2 years in a needless alcohol-infused depression. But no more.

I decided then that I would change, and I did. I restarted my business, paid of most of my debt (there's still a portion remaining) and drew up a plan that would allow me to quit my part-time job for good, and focus only on my growing business. I stopped drinking, stopped with the self pity and chastisement, and started putting the pieces of my life back together.

It was hard, extremely hard, but I did it. I went from being broke and broken, to whole and happy. And if I can bounce back from rock bottom, I'm confident that you can too. That you can work through whatever it is you're going through and become a happier, healthier, more loving and fulfilled person. The person you envision when you close your eyes and imagine yourself at your best.

They say everything happens for a reason, and I don't know what the reason could possibly have been for me going through what I did, other than I was too sorry to get off my ass and fix my life. But having gone through it, and overcome my challenges, I want to use that experience in some way to help others move forward in life.

I just don't know how.

What do I do?

What could I possibly do to help you transform your life from a life of misery, to one of abundance and fulfillment?

What do I do?...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by okirewaju(f): 6:12am On Apr 23, 2016
How sweet smiley
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Ramanto(m): 7:21am On Apr 23, 2016
Inspiring!!
But Would You Say A Nigerian Graduate With A Good Grade, Say 2.1 Or 1st Class Has A Bright Future Considering The Irregularities In The Country? I Think I Infered That From Your Story

I'm Glad Your Story Changed For Better
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
okirewaju:
How sweet smiley

Thank you. smiley

1 Like

Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 23, 2016
Ramanto:
Inspiring!!
But Would You Say A Nigerian Graduate With A Good Grade, Say 2.1 Or 1st Class Has A Bright Future Considering The Irregularities In The Country? I Think I Infered That From Your Story

I'm Glad Your Story Changed For Better

I would say that a person has as bright a future as they make for themselves. There is nothing any of us can do that will guarantee a good life, because there will always be factors and circumstances beyond our control. You can earn high marks in college, graduate at the top of your class, land the best job in your field, and two years later suffer an accident that leaves you paralyzed to the point you can no longer do your job. Sure, you may not be able to do that job any longer, but there is still something you can do, but it will be up to that person to figure out what it is.

I know it is a hypothetical scenario, but misfortune happens to people all the time. One day we're on top, and the next it seems as though the world is ending.

If I may, I'd like to leave you with two pieces of advice. (These are among the things that helped me through my circumstances.)

The first is that life will happen regardless of who you are, what you know or what you do. Sometimes things happen and you'll wonder, "Dear God, Why me?" But when setback and challenges strike (and they will) the only thing that matters and will make a difference is how you respond to what comes your way.

Being a recent graduate of university (which I assume you are), I'm sure you want to get out in the world and use your degree to make a name for yourself. And you should. But if for some reason, you are unable to get the jobs you want, or work for the company you want to work for in the beginning, if for whatever reason, things don't play out the way you had hoped, DO NOT let that deter you from your goals. Keep focused, keep pushing and even though things don't seem like they'll ever change, keep going because they will. Don't let negative outcomes disrupt your focus or your joy. Because the moment you stop looking for solutions, is the moment you'll begin to only see problems and impossibility.

The second piece of advice is simple: There is no such thing as a bad day.

At the end of every day, I write in a journal to reflect on a few thoughts and experiences from my day. I will either conclude that it was a good day, and I'll write my reasons why. Or, I'll say it was a learning experience, and write what I've learned, or what I believe I need to learn moving forward. I do not allow myself to accept the idea that I've had a "bad day".

Bad days are negative and they inhibit productive thinking. When people talk about bad days, they often go down a list of all the reasons why the day was bad, and what they wish had never happened, or what they could have changed or done differently. Never do they ever talk about the role they played in that bad day or the circumstances that led up to it. Nor do they contemplate what they could have learned from the experience.

A learning experience forces you to think about and search for the "silver lining". It challenges you to see opportunity where you might not otherwise see it, and then use what you've learned to build a better tomorrow. And over time, you learn not to dwell on negative outcomes, but look for ways to learn from them, and turn adversity into opportunity.

So remember, there are only good days and learning experiences. I don't care what happens to you, bad days do not exist, and do not let anyone convince you that do. So if things aren't going your way (a good day), then it is most definitely a learning experience, and it's up to you to figure out what you need to learn and keep advancing forward.

Hope this helps.

Be blessed!

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Ramanto(m): 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2016
@ Radragon, You'v Really Been Inspiring. Thanks, More Power To Your Elbow
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by elmatino: 2:45pm On Apr 24, 2016
I just stumbled on your article and I must say they are well-written and full of nuggets of wisdom.

Here is someone sharing his experience on how he has been able to grow his business from scratch and I wonder why we can't find many nairalanders here commenting and asking questions.

The truth is that most of us are more interested in getting "quick success" and are not ready to build. If the title of one of your threads for example says "Guaranteed way of making $100 per day", you can be sure of getting huge traffic to your thread. This is because we are always interested in a quick fix and most people are just interested in making money and not building a business. For several years, I too have been caught up in this, always running after all the "make money quick" schemes. From affiliate marketing to CPA to all sorts, but they never worked.

It has taken me several years and so much money lost to come to the conclusion of where I thought the problem lies.

I believe I need to use what I have and know to add value to people. I have decided to stop following the bandwagon and focus on what I know and have spent a large part of my life learning. My focus should be in building a business and not just making money online.

I have read all your articles on NL today and they resonated well with me.

I wish I could have access to more of your write-ups but for today I can neither sign up for your newsletter nor can I find more of your write-ups.

I will love to know your personal blog to read more of your works.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 26, 2016
Ramanto:
@ Radragon, You'v Really Been Inspiring. Thanks, More Power To Your Elbow

Thank you. If it helps, I also run a newsletter that offers updates similar to this. I reveal a lot about my struggles in both life and business and many people find it extremely useful. It's free and I never use it to promote products or sell services. Just good open and honest updates from the heart. http://eepurl.com/bZ3wE1.

Be blessed!

2 Likes

Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 27, 2016
elmatino:
I just stumbled on your article and I must say they are well-written and full of nuggets of wisdom.

Here is someone sharing his experience on how he has been able to grow his business from scratch and I wonder why we can't find many nairalanders here commenting and asking questions.

The truth is that most of us are more interested in getting "quick success" and are not ready to build. If the title of one of your threads for example says "Guaranteed way of making $100 per day", you can be sure of getting huge traffic to your thread. This is because we are always interested in a quick fix and most people are just interested in making money and not building a business. For several years, I too have been caught up in this, always running after all the "make money quick" schemes. From affiliate marketing to CPA to all sorts, but they never worked.

It has taken me several years and so much money lost to come to the conclusion of where I thought the problem lies.

I believe I need to use what I have and know to add value to people. I have decided to stop following the bandwagon and focus on what I know and have spent a large part of my life learning. My focus should be in building a business and not just making money online.

I have read all your articles on NL today and they resonated well with me.

I wish I could have access to more of your write-ups but for today I can neither sign up for your newsletter nor can I find more of your write-ups.

I will love to know your personal blog to read more of your works.

Sorry for responding so late. I usually try to respond to comments the same day they are posted.

But you're right, too many people are searching for the "quick fix" or instant success. They want money and success now, and will focus on building the business later. It doesn't work that way. You have to build something. Fortunately for me, I understood this from the very beginning, but I realize there are many people who don't.

To be honest, I think you are already on the right path as evidenced by a few things you've said.

1.) "I believe I need to use what I have and know to add value to people. I have decided to stop following the bandwagon and focus on what I know and have spent a large part of my life learning."

With that kind of mindset, I will say you are already on the right path. A lot of people fail to come to this same conclusion because they are always trying to mimic everyone else's success, and one of the things I try desperately to teach people, is that you will never become more or equally successful as someone else copying their strategy, because even though you mimic the movements, you miss the opportunity to learn and gain the wisdom they have attained along the way that allowed them to build that business in the first place.

When you look at the most successful people at any level, you'll notice they didn't get there trying to imitate everyone else, they got there by offering something unique and different. They used what they knew, what they were interested in and what they believed to build successful ventures. Everyone has something they can use to build a business or earn money independently of a job. It's just a matter of figuring out what that is, improving upon it and leveraging it to your best advantage.

2. " My focus should be in building a business and not just making money online."

The greatest mistake of all is when people confuse making money with building a business. They are not the same. There are lots of traditional and academic definitions for 'business' but I'll give you mine. A business is something that provides value to an end customer. It's a means of generating revenue through an established relationship or identity. In turn, a business also allows you to develop your full potential, committing yourself to something that will make you, and your customers, better. Building a business means understanding what you give back to the community. Making money on the other hand simply means exchanging your knowledge, time or both for a wage. You put in the effort, and you are paid. That's it. That's not a business.

A business involves planning and direction. Making money means simply performing a task in exchange for compensation of some kind.

And I'm only curious but how come you aren't able to subscribe to the newsletter? I assumed it would be the easiest method for anyone to view my content. But if people are unable to subscribe, knowing why will help me figure out a better alternative.

And I do have a website. I wasn't planning to launch it until September, but the more people comment on my threads, the more I see I will have to speed up my time frame.

The website is North of Zero at www.getnorthofzero.com. It's a free website, and should load easily on any device. Most of my content on Nairaland links to this site, The Entrepreneur Choice. Both are similar in a few ways, but North of Zero mostly focuses on personal experiences and well-being. While The Entrepreneur Choice deals more with things relating to my business and entrepreneurial experiences. Both are extremely helpful, but will differ slightly in terms of the audience they are marketed to.

I've made some progress on restoring the sites, and should have them up and running by the end of this week. I will be sure to post a comment via this thread so you and others will be aware.

Be blessed!
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by superstr: 9:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
Getting job is great, but check www.careerlinko.com to learn about necessary thing to do
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by elmatino: 10:33pm On Apr 28, 2016
Thanks for the detailed response

The websites(startbuildprofit and getnorthofzero) you gave are currently under maintenance when i tried visiting them. The last time i tried too, there was a countdown timing display there.

Still hoping to access it as soon as it is up and running.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 30, 2016
elmatino:
Thanks for the detailed response

The websites(startbuildprofit and getnorthofzero) you gave are currently under maintenance when i tried visiting them. The last time i tried too, there was a countdown timing display there.

Still hoping to access it as soon as it is up and running.

Hi. Sorry for the late/slow response, but I've been working to resolve the issue with my sites. I'm aware that they are down, and my team and I are working to restore things as quickly as possible. It will be back up this weekend hopefully. I will be sure to post a follow-up message to this page once we're done and things are running optimally. smiley
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 2:23am On May 01, 2016
Hello again!

I just wanted to confirm that we've fixed most of the problems with The Entrepreneur Choice website. The site is up, but we have yet to be able to restore much of the site's content. Worst case scenario, we may have to republish the content individually if our restore efforts are not successful.

The North of Zero site is still down, but we hope to have it back up early next week, if not this weekend.

Thanks again for your interest! I pray you find the content valuable and engaging... when it's available, lol. smiley

Be blessed!
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by elmatino: 12:10am On May 03, 2016
radragan:
Hello again!

I just wanted to confirm that we've fixed most of the problems with The Entrepreneur Choice website. The site is up, but we have yet to be able to restore much of the site's content. Worst case scenario, we may have to republish the content individually if our restore efforts are not successful.

The North of Zero site is still down, but we hope to have it back up early next week, if not this weekend.

Thanks again for your interest! I pray you find the content valuable and engaging... when it's available, lol. smiley

Be blessed!

Tnks for the update.
I have been able to access 'the entrepreneur choice'. Unfortunately though, i could not get any of the ebooks as they were no longer available. I could only find one article there which actually provoked lots of suspense.

Looking forward to reading more from you.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by bidamos: 3:17am On May 03, 2016
I know some of you on this thread have already heard about why I'm about to say, but I want you to consider joining this NGO that I'm a part of. You will benefit from free skill acquisition which includes website design, poultry farming, fish farming, bead making, event planning and so much more. All for one time membership fee of N6,600. The company name is helping hands international. Contact me for more details on bidamos@yahoo.com
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 4:31am On May 03, 2016
elmatino:

Tnks for the update.
I have been able to access 'the entrepreneur choice'. Unfortunately though, i could not get any of the ebooks as they were no longer available. I could only find one article there which actually provoked lots of suspense.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

I'm looking to publish a new update at least twice a week for now. As more and more people get involved I will move toward a daily posting Monday - Friday.

Also, I add new ebooks all the time. Sometimes I will upload only a few samples and excerpts, other times I will release entire books. If you are on the mailing list, you will receive updates when new books are available before I post announcements on the website or any of the forums I post to. wink

Glad you enjoy the content thus far. I hope it continues to interest you.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by boladale(f): 1:54pm On May 10, 2016
The average person does love get-rich-schemes as pointed out by Elmatino. however, it must be pointed out that Ra loves epistles and this does not help at all. i stumbled on one of his threads for the first time this a.m, and was impressed but7 he didn't follow through with the topic so i went to his profile page and saw other writings by him. i went through several. i think this is because i like reading, but it isn't the same with many people. some are just better at some other things. Ra, you have a duty to make people want to read your write-ups.write shorter discourses, use bullets etc. and use attractive headings too - some supposed 'get-rich-quick' titles are really not dishonest, pls coin such. it will attract your audience because it's actually what you write that they seek. thanks boss. thumbs 7 ujp!
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by superstr: 2:37pm On May 10, 2016
Yes, there are several things to learn and do to improve ones life. Anyway
Check www.careerlinko.com for more useful information.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 10, 2016
boladale:
The average person does love get-rich-schemes as pointed out by Elmatino. however, it must be pointed out that Ra loves epistles and this does not help at all. i stumbled on one of his threads for the first time this a.m, and was impressed but7 he didn't follow through with the topic so i went to his profile page and saw other writings by him. i went through several. i think this is because i like reading, but it isn't the same with many people. some are just better at some other things. Ra, you have a duty to make people want to read your write-ups.write shorter discourses, use bullets etc. and use attractive headings too - some supposed 'get-rich-quick' titles are really not dishonest, pls coin such. it will attract your audience because it's actually what you write that they seek. thanks boss. thumbs 7 ujp!

First off, thanks for commenting and sharing your feedback. I appreciate it, because helps me create better content for people to read.

Second, the reason a lot of my content is presented the way it is, is because it's a test to see not only what people respond to, but how and how often. I'm looking to target a certain group of people on Nairaland (the kinds of people my business specifically caters to), so I create content that I believe will best draw them out. This doesn't mean I'm trying to avoid and ignore everyone else, and I admit I do struggle with trying to find the balance between the two.

But it's a learning process, and very little happens overnight. Some things just take time and I'll have to keep working and be patient.

Third, I write long-form to offer as much detail as possible. My goal is to reveal as much of my own insight and process as possible per post, and depending on the focus, it's hard to do that in a shorter piece because of the number of steps involved. But as I've said previously, it's all about figuring out and finding that balance, and that will take effort on my part.

Lastly, I have two questions:
1. Why do you think long form content doesn't help?
2. Which post was it that you read where I didn't follow through? I hate when I forget to follow up, so I want to fix that.

Thanks again for commenting! Be blessed! smiley
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by sweetilicious(f): 7:42am On May 11, 2016
Being broke, unemployed, can really weigh down zeal in youths. Having a lot of plans cannot even fill it i found out the hard way. Every youth wish to earn for a good standard of living even if they have somewhere pocket money comes in from. Being a lady without a job can be worst except you wish to soil your destiny. Some people worry a lot about earning while some loves to depend on people. Should youths depend on people till they get a job? What is the tendency of them not tagging you a burden even though they don't say it to your face. Some people love to succeed and working towards it could help cos hard works pays. Being idle can also deteriorate our good thinking giving room for rotten ones. I think that's the time we need God the more like a preacher said to me in encouragement. Think positively and love to live, hope, have faith, and love genuinely. When old age approaches, we will be contented with life at the end.

1 Like

Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 8:30am On May 11, 2016
sweetilicious:
Being broke, unemployed, can really weigh down zeal in youths. Having a lot of plans cannot even fill it i found out the hard way. Every youth wish to earn for a good standard of living even if they have somewhere pocket money comes in from. Being a lady without a job can be worst except you wish to soil your destiny. Some people worry a lot about earning while some loves to depend on people. Should youths depend on people till they get a job? What is the tendency of them not tagging you a burden even though they don't say it to your face. Some people love to succeed and working towards it could help cos hard works pays. Being idle can also deteriorate our good thinking giving room for rotten ones. I think that's the time we need God the more like a preacher said to me in encouragement. Think positively and love to live, hope, have faith, and love genuinely. When old age approaches, we will be contented with life at the end.

I agree. It is hard to stay positive and motivated when you literally have nothing. No prospects, no opportunities in sight, no money or resources to get anywhere or do anything. I know, because I've been there. You feel defeated and want to give up or give in to things that only lead to more downfall, sin and poverty.

To your question, "Should youths depend on people till they get a job?" I think that all depends on the youth and the people they choose to depend on. Because I understand the need to have to rely on someone else to help you out until you are on your feet. But me personally, I tend to only rely on myself. I hate being at the mercy of other people. Because from my experience, there are very few people in this world who will help you, and not use it against you in some way. They either talk about you behind your back, put you down, or treat you as though you are beneath them. I cannot say that is everyone's experience but it has been mine, and I would not wish it on anyone else.

Sometimes I wish I could do more than type words and offer advice. I wish I could physically do something to change people's lives. But for now, all I have are my words, my experiences and my computer, and so I am making the best use of it to serve others as best I can.

When we have nothing, faith is what gets us through. We have to know, trust and believe that everything will be alright in the end. It's hard to do, because when all you see is setback and disappointment, it's hard to believe there is something better in store for you. But there is. We just have to have faith, and trust in God.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by elmatino: 9:24am On May 11, 2016
radragan:

First off, thanks for commenting and sharing your feedback. I appreciate it, because helps me create better content for people to read.

Second, the reason a lot of my content is presented the way it is, is because it's a test to see not only what people respond to, but how and how often. I'm looking to target a certain group of people on Nairaland (the kinds of people my business specifically caters to), so I create content that I believe will best draw them out. This doesn't mean I'm trying to avoid and ignore everyone else, and I admit I do struggle with trying to find the balance between the two.

But it's a learning process, and very little happens overnight. Some things just take time and I'll have to keep working and be patient.

Third, I write long-form to offer as much detail as possible. My goal is to reveal as much of my own insight and process as possible per post, and depending on the focus, it's hard to do that in a shorter piece because of the number of steps involved. But as I've said previously, it's all about figuring out and finding that balance, and that will take effort on my part.

Lastly, I have two questions:
1. Why do you think long form content doesn't help?
2. Which post was it that you read where I didn't follow through? I hate when I forget to follow up, so I want to fix that.

Thanks again for commenting! Be blessed! smiley

I have actually been following you and your topics. I personally do not find your posts too long but the points made about using bullets may assist in driving your points home better.

Something I noticed however is about your Start Build and Profit project. I realised you decided to ditch it. I was actually anticipating it but unfortunately you pulled the plug. You may not know but somehow your articles really resonate with me cos of the project I am also planning and I find your articles really helpful in that direction.

If you would not mind, I will love to reach out to you and send you a mail just to share my ideas with you. I believe your thoughts on my ideas will be well appreciated. I will therefore love to get your contact mail.

Also, I am just wondering what your interest in the Nigerian audience is all about cos I can see your business is in US if I am not mistaken. Do you have any roots or affiliations here?

Awaiting your response please.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 11, 2016
elmatino:

I have actually been following you and your topics. I personally do not find your posts too long but the points made about using bullets may assist in driving your points home better.

Something I noticed however is about your Start Build and Profit project. I realised you decided to ditch it. I was actually anticipating it but unfortunately you pulled the plug. You may not know but somehow your articles really resonate with me cos of the project I am also planning and I find your articles really helpful in that direction.

If you would not mind, I will love to reach out to you and send you a mail just to share my ideas with you. I believe your thoughts on my ideas will be well appreciated. I will therefore love to get your contact mail.

Also, I am just wondering what your interest in the Nigerian audience is all about cos I can see your business is in US if I am not mistaken. Do you have any roots or affiliations here?

Awaiting your response please.

Actually, I've not abandoned #StartBuildProfit entirely. We ran into some problems with the site development. I tried to make something very dynamic, but many people were having difficulty pulling the site up on their mobile devices. So I had to take it down. In the meantime, I've moved everything over to another of my sites that goes live in a few days. I will be posting the #SBP updates to HERE. I will publish a few articles a day until the book is completely written. You can also contact me through that link via my 'Contact' page. All emails go directly to me, and I respond to everything I receive as quickly as possible.

I will also be going back through all of my published posts and threads today and updating any content and links so people will be aware of the changes.

And my interest in Nigeria, and Africa in general is twofold. It's part investment, and personal.

On the investment front, I see A WEALTH of potential for growth on the African Continent. Particularly with technology and online business. New infrastructure is being created, new industries are being born, and while it is harder to grow a business in Africa than in the West, it doesn't mean it's impossible. For me, it's about figuring out how to use what I know and what resources I have access to, to 1.) better the lives of the people on the continent, and 2.) generate a source of income for myself.

On the personal front, Africa has always been somewhere I've wanted to do business. Always. But because of my lack of resources and reach I was never able to. There are lots of black Americans who like to affiliate themselves with Africa. Who call Africa home, but don't or won't do anything for Africa. I know that I can't do much, but I can do something. And knowing there are people who want to learn and know what I know, I share as much as I can, and majority of the time, I won't ask for payment. And the few times I have, it's been very minimal. You don't have to be greedy to be successful or make a difference. You just have to care enough to want to make a difference.

And my reasons for targeting Nigeria is because it is among the largest, if not THE largest, of African economies. So it only makes sense to me to start there when you think about it from a business angle. But what actually drew me to target a Nigerian audience and this site in particular, was a post I responded to a post in a Facebook group last September.

This person was a recent graduate and felt he had no prospects in Nigeria, but also didn't have any money to move elsewhere. He shared a link to a Nairaland thread from another person of similar circumstances but who was a part of NYSC. Both were worried about not having any prospects or futures, and I understood that because I've felt those same emotions before. So I know how defeating and debilitating those kinds of thoughts can have on a person's mindset and focus.

And that's when I started sharing my ideas and experiences on Nairaland, and it has lead us to where we are today. I'm still learning about how to better reach and appeal to the Nigerian audience, but I'm confident I will figure it out soon enough. I just have to keep writing, keep pushing, keep testing and keep going until I get it right.

Hope this answered your questions. smiley
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by boladale(f): 12:47am On May 21, 2016
So sorry my response is coming this late. i actually didn't know my comments were posted that day, i just discovered - my phone had been misbehaving. to your questions: i couldnt trace the post that i mdntioned. like i said, i went thru several thereafter and have just aboutmuddled up things - sorry about that. then, shorter discourses are often better when you find that a piece is getting really long. or infusion of 'tricks' that would make it more appealing to the eyes like d use of bullets where appropriate. that is why double spacing is frequently recommended above single spacing for manuscripts etc.in marketing, d average person is a scanner, he wants to spend as little time as possible on a subject and move on to the next, so an epistle literarily puts him off if he is not someone like elmatino who is decided seeking such material. a shorter but punchy piece would bring him back seeking for more and then you can engage your audience again and again with more ppl joining the thread, there are severa. t7
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by boladale(f): 12:56am On May 21, 2016
There are several such threads on nairaland that have literarily become classrooms. phew! thanks, how is the going? read 2 of your writer archetypes. i had dreamt of being a writer all of my life but have never completed a writing as an adult, i'm thinking i really need some training and need to put in more commitment.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 5:32am On May 21, 2016
boladale:
So sorry my response is coming this late. i actually didn't know my comments were posted that day, i just discovered - my phone had been misbehaving. to your questions: i couldnt trace the post that i mdntioned. like i said, i went thru several thereafter and have just aboutmuddled up things - sorry about that. then, shorter discourses are often better when you find that a piece is getting really long. or infusion of 'tricks' that would make it more appealing to the eyes like d use of bullets where appropriate. that is why double spacing is frequently recommended above single spacing for manuscripts etc.in marketing, d average person is a scanner, he wants to spend as little time as possible on a subject and move on to the next, so an epistle literarily puts him off if he is not someone like elmatino who is decided seeking such material. a shorter but punchy piece would bring him back seeking for more and then you can engage your audience again and again with more ppl joining the thread, there are severa. t7

I understand where you're coming from about the long posts. Since people were responding to them as they were, I never changed things up. But I will think about that for future write-ups to see how my response/engagements per post increase. smiley

And I've been meaning to go back through and update all of my posts. Many of the offer links and promotions I no longer offer or use, so I want to be sure if anyone reads or clicks on anything, it takes them to a reliable and up to date resource.
Re: You're Unemployed, Broke And Frustrated. What Do You Do?... by Nobody: 6:11am On May 21, 2016
boladale:
There are several such threads on nairaland that have literarily become classrooms. phew! thanks, how is the going? read 2 of your writer archetypes. i had dreamt of being a writer all of my life but have never completed a writing as an adult, i'm thinking i really need some training and need to put in more commitment.

The writing is going pretty well. I need to pick up the pace a bit but going well nonetheless. smiley

And you and I are in the same boat when it comes to writing. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never made any real attempt to make it happen. Not until now, anyway. It's a learning experience, but worth the effort. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

SIWES - Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (undergraduate) / How To Register Your Business Name With CAC In Less Than 14days With #10,750 / Own A PayPal Account That Can Send, Receive & Withdraw Money With NG IP @N1500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.